PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Opening Day Memory?

TomBradley72
03-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Mine was Opening Day 1978...sophomore year in high school...ditched school to go to the game. Ron Bloomberg's HR ties the game...a bloop single by Wayne Nordhagen wins it at Old Comiskey Park.

Steve Stone started,LaGrow in 3 innings of relief, Garr leading off, Kessinger at SS, over 50,000 in attendance.

I missed baseball practice, the coach new why, so I ran about a million laps the next day...but it was worth it.

The rest of the season sucked.

itsnotrequired
03-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I've only been to one Opening Day, 2006. So I guess my favorite memory would be from that one.

:tongue:

voodoochile
03-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Definitely 2006. The raising of the banners. The huge flag. The early lead, the blown early lead, the rain delay and then Thome absolutely crushing that pitch when the game resumed. It rocked and I stayed for every minute of it.

chisoxmike
03-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Definitely 2006. The raising of the banners. The huge flag. The early lead, the blown early lead, the rain delay and then Thome absolutely crushing that pitch when the game resumed. It rocked and I stayed for every minute of it.

Yeah, I've been to every Opening Day since 2002. '06 definatly takes the cake. Besides the long ass rain delay (which I too stuck out) the banner ceremony, people singing along to "We Are the Champions", and Thome's "**** you" home run was amazing. I wish more of the crowd would've stayed but since it was Sunday night, I understand.

PS- (And I met Voodoo at Puffers the night before! :bandance: )

chisoxfanatic
03-19-2007, 11:01 AM

That happens to be the only Opening Day I've ever been to up to now, and my favorite moment of it all has to go to the banner ceremony. I think I cried during that even more than the entire 10/26/05! That montage they were playing during that ceremony of the season was perfectly put together, including the music selection. When they finally yanked down the cover on the 2005 World Series Championship banner, you could've probably put a bucket under me and pull it away full soon after.

twentywontowin
03-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Opening Day 2005 did it for me. Absolutely gorgeous out that day. We did a fair share of tailgating and had a blast. Then Buehrle put on one of his sub-two hour gems with the 1-0 shutout. I knew right then and there this was going to be a great season.

I remember two things clearly that were hilarious. Some kid decked out in UNC and Cubs gear getting absolutely berated on the way out of the stadium, as UNC and the Illini were going at it later that night for the NCAA championship. The other being a guy saying "Hey, we're in first place now!" on the way out in the parking lot. Who would have actually thought we would never actually drop below that again?

It definitely set the tone for that magical summer.

ewokpelts
03-19-2007, 11:46 AM
The planes flying over from last year's opener. That's when I lost it. Pretty much 6 whole months of dry eyes before that.

kninchicago
03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
While '06 opener was a great time to celebrate the WS win, I have got to agree with twentyone up there that '05 is my favorite too. Gorgeous day, quick, low scoring game, the start of something special, and we didn't know it yet. I'll never forget the '05 opener.

ChiSoxGirl
03-19-2007, 11:56 AM
While my first Opening Day in 2000 was pretty special (it was a warm, early spring night) and ended up being the beginning of what was a fun & memorable season at the time, last year's definitely takes the cake. I started bawling from the moment the montages started and didn't stop until the first pitch was thrown. Brooks & Co. outdid themselves last April 2 with those montages and the way in which the banners were revealed. I have chills just typing about it!

johnr1note
03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I concur with everyone's sentiment about opening day 2006 with the banner ceremony. I was there with my 9 year old son, and we both had a most memorable time.

Prior to 1994, I attended almost every opening day, as my Dad had season tickets. But for some odd reason, my Dad decided to give away our 4 seats to opening day in 1986 to friends from work, and I was crushed. I was a school teacher at the time, and had arranged to have the day off and all, and he gave the tickets away? I scrambled, and got a single seat in the left field grandstand, upper deck (I recall the game was sold out) and went BY MYSELF. Tom Seaver was pitching for the Sox, and in the first inning gave up a roof shot home run to Rob Deer of the Brewers. It was all downhill from there. I remember walking out of that game, muttering to myself, "Why did I just put myself through THAT?" The White Sox, of course, were not very good that year.

minutia
03-19-2007, 12:09 PM
April 2005 is favorite becasue I went with my brother. We had bought the Ozzie Package. We had seats on the first base line, I don't remember the number off the bat but they were a couple of sections behind first and about row 18. We were seated around guys that were absolutely hilarious. They had us lauging the whole time. Just really great one liners. This was the first opening day I had ever gone too so it was really special so my brother and I vowed to go to everyone thereafter. Unfortunately he passed away in November of 2005 so now it is just me that goes. The 2006 opener was just way too emotional for me without my brother, but I was with some family members and we enjoyed every minute of the banner ceremony. We bought an extra seat and put his picture and jersey on it. In a way it was like he was there.

On a side note, I came home from the 2005 opener and told my mom that if the Sox played as tightly as they did that game all season there would be no stopping them. I never lost faith, even in August when it seemed like the world was ending. I knew they would do it.

Medford Bobby
03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
:smile: I just recently found my 1977 Opening Day styrofoam ball that Bill Veeck had his people pass out to the fans. He wanted fans to toss the first pitch for 1977 ......and I remember all those balls flying out the stands..........and some kept flying out during the game too:o:

I grabbed a lot of those first pitch balls but sold many at card shows over the years....I may have a few more in storage. Never the less I was happy to find one still laying around in a box up here in Washington!:wink:

Lip Man 1
03-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Thought you all might enjoy reading this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2767

Lip

tick53
03-19-2007, 01:20 PM
The only Opening Day I ever attended wound up being rained out. :raincloud: at Old Comiskey. I wasn't able to go back the next day.

DarkHorse35
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
The only one I've been to in person was 2001 when they lost a depressing game to the Tigers. My favorite was opening day 2005 when I watched teh whole game with my then roomate, a Cleveland fan.

KenBerryGrab
03-19-2007, 04:14 PM
I've been to 24 straight, but the best was 2005, not only for Buehrle, a nice day and beating the Indians 1-0, but because it was my then-5-year-old's first opener. Here he is after the game:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/427175843_d3c5204cb0.jpg?v=0

jabrch
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
I've been to 15 in a row - but none has come close to topping last years.

Britt Burns
03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Last year, by far! The celebration of the WS win, the rain delay, and Thome killing that ball for a homer to pay immediate dividends on picking him up in the offseason...

gobears1987
03-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Mine is 2005 when the Sox grinded out a 1-0 win over the Tribe. It just set the tone for that year.

TheCommander
03-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Mine is 2005 when the Sox grinded out a 1-0 win over the Tribe. It just set the tone for that year.

That is mine too,not only because it set a tone, but by default as well since it was my first and only.:D:

LITTLE NELL
03-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Sox fan for over 50 years, 1981 stands out. Fisks first home game with Sox, hit a grand slam in front of 51,000 in old Comiskey. There were really about 45,000 in the house but it was also the 1st home game for the Reinsdorf regime and they inflated the attendence. When Fisk hit the slam it sounded like 60,000.

cheeses_h_rice
03-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Definitely NOT 2001 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200104060.shtml).

Osuna = chunks

Miserable-ass weather.

One ****ing frustrating loss that was.

Railsplitter
03-19-2007, 08:51 PM
1982. Four days of snow here and elsewhere meant the sox opened the season with a Sunday double header in the Bronx, which was Easter, not less. We watched at my grandparents' as the Sox swept the the Yanks. the joy my grandfather showed when the Sox recorded the final out of the day was one of my best memories of him.

cbotnyse
03-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Thought you all might enjoy reading this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2767

Lip very nice, thanks. :thumbsup:

Timmy D's
03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I have to vote for 06' as well, and for all the reasons everyone else who nominated 06' banners, etc. No one mentioned that insane flyover though. That was really cool and CLOSE!!!!!!!

Brian26
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
2005 and 2006 tied for me for different reasons. Both were great.

ShoelessJoeS
03-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Sitting in the bleachers while the new banners were being unveiled, including the 2005 WS Championship. I'll never forget the atmosphere at the park that day, even after the three-hour rain delay.

esbrechtel
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
last year not only because of the ceremony but also because it was my first opening day ever :D:

BRDSR
03-20-2007, 01:25 AM

Last year was great with the celebration, but the game itself was not quite as pleasant. It was my 3rd straight opening day but I couldn't stay for the whole thing because I had to drive back to Champaign that night (and it was a night game). Waited for a good chunk of the rain delay, left, and still got back around midnight. I couldn't believe they got that game in and I was pissed I missed Thome's first homer in a Sox uni.

I will never forget 2005. Great weather, my then-girlfriend(now fiancee) in her Sox gear (so sexy) and my buddy were there. A 2 hour Buerhle performance and then drove back to Champaign to watch the Illini in the NCAA Championship. Quite possibly the best sports day ever.

By the by, when was the last time the Sox didn't have a home opener against Cleveland? I can't remember who they played in 04.

Frater Perdurabo
03-20-2007, 07:23 AM
1991, when the new Comiskey Park opened.

:)

bigsoxfan420
03-20-2007, 09:12 AM
It was the last home opener at Comiskey. My father actually let me miss school for an non-illness related reason! It was great. I was old enough to know that I was at a special occasion, the ending of a tradition nearly a century old, but young enough to just be happy to be with DAD at a BASEBALL game when I was SUPPOSED to be at school. The next day I cut out all the articles and pictures in the Tribune and put them in a photo album, I still have it to this day. It is a day I think of often and fondly. I can't wait to be able to someday take my children to opening day and I can only hope they will remember it as fondly as I do.

chisoxfanatic
03-20-2007, 10:53 AM
By the by, when was the last time the Sox didn't have a home opener against Cleveland? I can't remember who they played in 04.

They opened the home schedule up in 2004 with a sound 12-5 thumping of Kansas City. It was already Esteban Loaiza's second victory of the season.

russ99
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
None. I recall many cold and/or rainy opening days while losing to Detroit, old park and new. That's why I don't do Opening Day. That and the trouble of getting time off work for a day game.

roylestillman
03-20-2007, 12:55 PM
2007 will be my 32nd consecutive Opening Day. Top ten in no particular order and without a lot of thought.

Veeck's (and my) return to Comiskey
Fisk's revenge home run.
Opening Day at the new Comiskey (but probably the worst opening day game.)
Downtown freight tunnel flood Opening Day (let out early, started drinking at Monk's about 9:30 AM)
Bloomberg homer (81?) beautiful day. Sat in the upper deck in front of Bill Gleason.
The tire fire year. A huge pile of tires was burning in the distance, looked like the whole City was burning down. Ended up disrupting power to Old Comiskey.
Buehrle's 1:56 masterpiece. Great, we get a 65 degree sunny and the things over in less than two hours.
2006- What can you say. I expected Charlton Heston to come down from the roof, staff raised, and order the rain to cease!
The Whacky Wheaton Couple year. Seemingly hundreds of studentsinside and outside the park handed out flyers looking for the college sweethearts from Wheaton that faked their own demise in the mean downton streets so they could run away together.
The fooler year: Steve Kemp looked like the second coming in a delayed twinight double header ('82?)

Zisk77
03-20-2007, 01:04 PM
06 hands down truly amazing. I thought the jets were going into the upperdeck on the flyby.

05-still in mourning about the Illini loss to UNC.:whiner:

IlliniSox4Life
03-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, I wasn't there, but 06 and Thome's rain soaked moonshot.

soxstarter
03-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I've only been to one Opening Day, 2006. So I guess my favorite memory would be from that one.

:tongue:

I am in the same boat but I just can't imagine that it gets any better than that. (That is not to say that I wouldn't like to see it better!)

caracascat
03-20-2007, 03:39 PM
2005 was awesome! Sox start out the road to the championship with a win and later that night, my Alma Mater wins the NCAA Title.

How often does a guy from Chicago ever experience two championships in one year. That game in 2005 began a great year.

By the way I have a brother who is a Cub fan and graduated from U of I. When he comes over I ask him if he wants a shot out of the Sox or Carolina Championship glass

kraut83
03-20-2007, 03:54 PM
I've only been to 2, so 2005 wins by default. I flew in from the East Coast for the game, it was a perfect day, and I felt great leaving the park after the game. I had no idea it would be the start of such a fun summer!

The other was 2001. Ray Ray lead off with a HR but the weather and the game seemed to get worse from there.

soxrme
03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Last year was the best just because of the circumstances. The emotion in that building was tremendous. Before that was 1976 when Veeck and Paul Richards and someone else came out as drummers in the revolutionary war and Veeck had his peg leg on. It was something I will never forget.

EastCoastSoxFan
03-20-2007, 04:30 PM

The game began at 3:05 Eastern Time and ended right at 5:00, so I was able to catch the entire game without having to stay late at work.

I laughed when Peralta booted that ground ball. All I could think of was, "Don't you (Indians) wish you still had Vizquel...?"

I also remember watching the first game of Spring Training in 2005 (and many others, as Comcast had just taken over for FSN and was conducting their own Spring Training of sorts).
In the first inning, Podsednik lined a single to center, stole second easily, moved over to third on an Iguchi ground ball, and scored, I believe, on a sac fly.
Hawk and DJ's comment was something to the effect of, "Well, Sox fans, this is what we're in for this year."
How right they were...

WhiteSoxFan84
03-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Mine was Opening Day 2005.

- Sat 7 rows behind the Sox Bullpen in left.
- Got to see Buehrle warming up before the game and told him he'd have a "special season".
- Yelled at Dustin Hermanson who was sitting in the bullpen and told him how I felt that his goatee was sick (a few beers and shots before the game will have you saying anything) and how he would end up being the closer that year (no joke, my drunkness predicted that). He just kept turning around at me and laughing.
- Sox won 1-0 and Shingo (gonnngg!) got the save.

We also won our last game of the 2005 season which was pretty cool as well.

Over By There
03-20-2007, 04:52 PM
I'll throw in another vote for 2005. Great weather, best seats I've ever had at a Sox game, Buerhle on a roll, etc. I remember riding the train home after the game, thinking about how great the whole afternoon was... little did I know that feeling would last the whole season. :gulp:

BigWhiteMachine
03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Most memorable easily had to be Opening Day 1980 at the old park. Had plenty of :gulp: in me and while walking on the concrete divider in the lower deck dividing the 3rd base box seats and the left field bleachers, I lost my balance and fell face-first into a rather nice-looking woman's lap. She took it all in stride with a smile, bless her heart. Among other things, I remember she wore a shirt that read "Hotsie Totsie Club" (which I found out later was some Nort' Side bar).

StillMissOzzie
03-21-2007, 01:29 AM
I haven't missed an Opening Day since the mid-to-late 80's, but OD 2006 was still the best one for me. I didn't get to go to any of the 2005 post-season games :whiner: so OD 2006 was my first real "connection" with the World Series champs. It brought tears to my eyes when the 2005 WSC banner was revealed.

SMO
:gulp:

PeteWard
03-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Mine was Opening Day 1978...sophomore year in high school...ditched school to go to the game. Ron Bloomberg's HR ties the game...a bloop single by Wayne Nordhagen wins it at Old Comiskey Park.

Steve Stone started,LaGrow in 3 innings of relief, Garr leading off, Kessinger at SS, over 50,000 in attendance.

I missed baseball practice, the coach new why, so I ran about a million laps the next day...but it was worth it.

Scary!!!:o: I ditched classs that same game during my senior year in high school...hitched to the E. Chicago south shore station took the train to Randolph and then the L and sat in left field. Chet Lemon was the guy who Nordy drove in. From Bloomberg's tying homer, through a pitching change to the winning run, that old place literally shook...for like 10 minutes. That was as loud as I have ever heard a baseball crowd. And no canned music blasting...the way it should be.

I also saw the Sox hammer Texas in what? '72 or 73?, maybe later....14-0 and actually they let the fans run on the field...which then was that horrid mix of astroturf infield and grass outfield. I went out and it was very peaceful.

I think I also went to one in the late 70's orearly 80's a horrible cold loss to the O's..I think

rwcescato
03-21-2007, 09:15 AM

I did the same thing in 79 and my baseball coach was not happy. But those tix were so hard to get back then.
In 93 when Bo Jackson hit a homer after coming back from hip surgery. It was also my last game with him as he passed away a month later.
Rich

Chrisaway
03-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Ill tell you guys my favorite moment April 2nd. I cant believe this is my first opening day. The last game i went to was d-day in Cleveland last year.:angry:

Thome25
03-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Opening day I think it was 1997 or 1998.....Mike Cameron scored on a sac fly from SECOND BASE. Sox won.

TomBradley72
03-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Scary!!!:o: I ditched classs that same game during my senior year in high school...hitched to the E. Chicago south shore station took the train to Randolph and then the L and sat in left field. Chet Lemon was the guy who Nordy drove in. From Bloomberg's tying homer, through a pitching change to the winning run, that old place literally shook...for like 10 minutes. That was as loud as I have ever heard a baseball crowd. And no canned music blasting...the way it should be.

I think I also went to one in the late 70's orearly 80's a horrible cold loss to the O's..I think

They played a twi night double header against the Orioles to open the 1982 season after a ton of snowed out games the first week. Went to that one as well...

Dan H
03-23-2007, 12:01 PM
1971. The White Sox were completely unprepared for an opening day of crowd of over 44,000. All concessions were sold out by the fourth inning. They had come home after winning an opening day doubleheader in Oakland. Pinch hitter Rich McKinney lined a single to left to bring in the winning run in the bottom of the ninth against the Twins. Place went nuts; you would have thought they had won the World Series.