PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 3-18

Lip Man 1
03-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Two items on this day:

March 18, 1964 - The Sox purchase the contract of veteran pitcher Don Mossi from the Tigers for 20,000 dollars. Mossi would have a spectacular season for the club that lost the pennant by one game, going 3 - 1 with seven saves and and ERA of 2.92. He’d team up with Hoyt Wilhelm and Eddie Fisher to give the club the best bullpen in the league.

March 18, 1981 - Carlton Fisk signs a free agent deal with the White Sox beginning the process of turning a laughable organization into a real, legitimate major league franchise. The All Star catcher and future Hall of Famer got his free agency after the Red Sox did not tender him a contract by the required date. Immediately Sox co-owner Eddie Einhorn and G.M. Roland Hemond jumped at the chance to get a player of Fisk’s caliber on to the team. Fisk would play 13 years on the South Side and have his number #72 retired in 1997.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/41/b9/a9_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/CARLTON-FISK-CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-8X10-PHOTO_W0QQitemZ180095351686QQcategoryZ50129QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Lip

jdm2662
03-17-2007, 12:18 PM
How did Fisk's situation work? Was he a restricted FA? Could he had sign with someone else? I would've think he would've before that time if he could.

Brian26
03-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm also curious about the Fisk situation. Was Fisk in Red Sox spring training camp when this all went down in '81, or was he sitting at home? That had to have been odd as hell to leave Red Sox camp two weeks before Opening Day to go to the White Sox.

Lip Man 1
03-17-2007, 08:25 PM
What happened was that Fisk received his contract in the mail after the 1980 season with a postmark that was PAST the ten day window allowed for a team to offer 'new' deals to their free agents.

Why Haywood Sullivan didn't just 'doctor' the postage machine is a mystery that has never been answered. Why he didn't mail the contract offer during the required time period is an even bigger enigma.

Fisk and his agent immediately brought this to the MLBPA. They filled a complaint. The decision was announced around Christmas Day, that Fisk was free to negotiate with anyone he wishes.

The Red Sox found out about it at a Christmas party with Sullivan himself making the announcement.

In the 1993 Frontline / PBS documentary 'The Trouble With Baseball' (which I have in my library) they show the news footage of the announcement. Apparently the Boston TV stations had representatives there just to cover the party and this bombshell came out.

Fisk and Jack Sands spent the next few months negotiating and seeing what was out there.

Carlton did not report to Red Sox camp during this period. He stayed home and reported to the White Sox after the deal was signed.

I do not know how many or who the other teams were that he and Sands were discussing offers with.

Lip

chisox77
03-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I remember one thing very clearly - I was thrilled the day Fisk signed with the White Sox. That was unbelievable. And I think it happened after the Sox reacquired Jim Essian through free agency, where Ed DeBartolo, Jr. (the 49ers owner who initially purchased the Sox) was reported as "doing the shopping." He was rejected by the owners, and the Reinsdorf/Einhorn group purchased our South Siders for the price of $20 million. But the new ownership team didn't stop with Fisk - they made trades to get Greg Luzinski, they signed Ron LeFlore by free agency, and they traded for Tony Bernazard. The Sox immediately become serious contenders. It was one of the most significant offseasons in club history.

:cool:

Lip Man 1
03-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Chisox:

LeFlore was signed by Bill Veeck using DeBartolo's money just as Jim Essian was.

The two 'small' moves that Roland Hemond made that winter were getting both Bernazard and Billy Almon. They both turned into major benefits for the club.

Lip

gobears1987
03-18-2007, 12:48 AM
I wonder what Fenway's thoughts were when Fisk left Boston.

chisox77
03-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the correction, Lip. I forgot to mention the Almon deal. Nevertheless, it was one of the greatest offseasons ever for the Sox.

:D:

Daver
03-18-2007, 11:41 AM
I remember one thing very clearly - I was thrilled the day Fisk signed with the White Sox. That was unbelievable. And I think it happened after the Sox reacquired Jim Essian through free agency, where Ed DeBartolo, Jr. (the 49ers owner who initially purchased the Sox) was reported as "doing the shopping." He was rejected by the owners, and the Reinsdorf/Einhorn group purchased our South Siders for the price of $20 million. But the new ownership team didn't stop with Fisk - they made trades to get Greg Luzinski, they signed Ron LeFlore by free agency, and they traded for Tony Bernazard. The Sox immediately become serious contenders. It was one of the most significant offseasons in club history.

:cool:

You have your DeBartolo's confused, Jr. owned the 49ers, Sr. was the one that tried to buy the White Sox.

chisox77
03-18-2007, 09:29 PM
I stand corrected again.

:o: