PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Ozzie So Determined to Move Iguchi In The Order?

Thome25
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Without sounding like a total dumbass, Why is Ozzie so bent on moving Iguchi lower in the order? The last two springs, there has been alot of talk about Ozzie wanting Iguchi to bat 6th.

I know there's probably a need for it now that we have Erstad but, If it isn't broke why try to fix it? We just enjoyed one of our finest offensive seasons ever in 2006 and Iguchi was batting second.

We won the WS in 2005 and Iguchi was batting second. He has been pretty damn good batting second for us. So why tinker?

I can see Pods coming back and batting leadoff and now that we have Erstad he should probably bat second. (if he stays healthy.)

But, our problem at the top of the order has been at leadoff and not the 2-hole. Why not keep Iguchi batting second and alternate Pods and Erstad at leadoff to see who will be better?

Iguchi has been pretty steady batting second and we might be replacing him in the order with an unproven commodity in Erstad.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad we signed Erstad....I just don't understand Ozzie's obsession with moving Iguchi. Maybe he wants to strengthen the lower portion of the batting order.

What do you guys (and gals) think??

itsnotrequired
03-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Iguchi was a power hitter in Japan. If a suitable replacement #2 hitter can be found, Iguchi should be moved down.

Thome25
03-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Iguchi was a power hitter in Japan. If a suitable replacement #2 hitter can be found, Iguchi should be moved down.

He may have been a power hitter in Japan but, Japanese power numbers don't always equal out once you get to the Big Leagues.

Don't get me wrong though, Gooch has been good for his fair share of homers but, he obviously has found something that works batting second.

itsnotrequired
03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
He may have been a power hitter in japan but, Japanese power numbers don't always equal out once you get to the Big Leagues.

don't get me wrong though, Gooch has been good for his fair share of homers but, he obviously has found something that works batting second.

The biggest reason they have him batting second is that there doesn't seem to be anyone else capable of filling that role. Iguchi has filled in nicely but if a better #2 guy comes along, why not move Iguchi to where he played the bulk of his career? I know they tried it in Spring Training last year and it didn't work out so well. Part of the problem was using Uribe to bat second.

veeter
03-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Tadahito is the victim of his own excellence. He's just so good at the number two spot, he's nearly impossible to replace. Hopefully Erstad can be the guy. If that spot can be taken care of, a year of Iguchi in an rbi spot would be fun to watch.

spawn
03-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Iguchi has hit 15 and 18 homers his first 2 years here...batting second. I'd like to see what he's capable of doing when he's not giving himself up.

sox1970
03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
The thread title says it all. I was Gooch batting 2nd as long as he's with the Sox. I also don't like the idea of 3 lefties at the top--Pods, Erstad, Thome.

Thome25
03-16-2007, 11:17 AM
The biggest reason they have him batting second is that there doesn't seem to be anyone else capable of filling that role. Iguchi has filled in nicely but if a better #2 guy comes along, why not move Iguchi to where he played the bulk of his career? I know they tried it in Spring Training last year and it didn't work out so well. Part of the problem was using Uribe to bat second.

Where is Erstad slated to bat? He'll probably bat second when (and if) he plays. He's unproven because he can't stay healthy. Pods has struggled at the top of the order since late 2005.

I don't see anyone as capable as Iguchi batting second.

If Pods doesn't make a serious comeback and Erstad doesn't hit well and/or gets injured AND we move Iguchi out of the 2-hole I see us weakening the top of our order.

Granted, Ozzie will make adjustments if this scenario happens.

veeter
03-16-2007, 11:17 AM
The thread title says it all. I was Gooch batting 2nd as long as he's with the Sox. I also don't like the idea of 3 lefties at the top--Pods, Erstad, Thome.This is a very good point. And a great reason he should stay at #2.

The Immigrant
03-16-2007, 11:27 AM
If moving Iguchi down in the order breaks up the Konerko-Thome-Pierzinski-Crede base-clogging combo, I'm all for it.

ND_Sox_Fan
03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Iguchi had just 8 sac bunts last year - that's one every 17.25 games in which he played or 1.2 times per 100 plate appearances.

Granted, sacs were down for the whole team last year and he does move runners over in other ways, but I am sure the lack of bunting is another reason to move him down.

In the scenario where Pods and/or Erstad get hurt, I think Ozuna would make a great 2 hitter (or slasher/bunter). [I didn't say anything about defense.]

Craig Grebeck
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
I would much rather have Iguchi lead off than have Erstad/Pods alternating at the top.

gobears1987
03-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Iguchi himself has expressed a desire to bat lower in the order.

IlliniSox4Life
03-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Iguchi had just 8 sac bunts last year - that's one every 17.25 games in which he played or 1.2 times per 100 plate appearances.

Granted, sacs were down for the whole team last year and he does move runners over in other ways, but I am sure the lack of bunting is another reason to move him down.

In the scenario where Pods and/or Erstad get hurt, I think Ozuna would make a great 2 hitter (or slasher/bunter). [I didn't say anything about defense.]

That's the key. It's not just sac bunts. It's everything from taking pitches so the runner has some chances to steal to not trying to hit fly balls. If he has power its hard to use much when he's trying to avoid a fly out.

White Sox Randy
03-16-2007, 12:28 PM
What's preventing the Sox offense from being awesome is that the talent doesn't really match the philosophy.

With excellent hitters with power like Thome, Dye, Konerko, Crede and Iguchi it would be perfect if there were a few high OBP players with a bit of speed to hit in front of them - but there are none. Pods, when healthy, is one.

But, A.J., Uribe and Anderson have about a .300 cumulative OBP.

Also, they want to play small ball with a lot of bunting and sacrificing and Joey Cora arm waving but the lineup is mostly filled with slow guys that hit homeruns so....

Iguchi, by default, becomes the number 2 hitter but I would also like to see him hitting down in the order.

Assuming Pods returns to health fairly soon, the problems with this offense will stem from the SS and CF positions. If they could get Uribe's OBP over .300 and CF's about .350 , then this offense would rock.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-16-2007, 12:32 PM
He may have been a power hitter in Japan but, Japanese power numbers don't always equal out once you get to the Big Leagues.

Don't get me wrong though, Gooch has been good for his fair share of homers but, he obviously has found something that works batting second.

In '05 Gooch was an unknown to opposing pitchers. He was successful in that spot for that reason; since the pitchers didn't know him he could hit off them; later in the season it caught up a bit.

I would love to see him in a 6-7 spot to strengthen Crede in the lineup, but not as a trade off to the top of the order. If Pods gets healthy, maybe Erstad could fill # 2.

Thome25
03-16-2007, 12:56 PM
If moving Iguchi down in the order breaks up the Konerko-Thome-Pierzinski-Crede base-clogging combo, I'm all for it.

What's preventing the Sox offense from being awesome is that the talent doesn't really match the philosophy.

With excellent hitters with power like Thome, Dye, Konerko, Crede and Iguchi it would be perfect if there were a few high OBP players with a bit of speed to hit in front of them - but there are none. Pods, when healthy, is one.

But, A.J., Uribe and Anderson have about a .300 cumulative OBP.

Also, they want to play small ball with a lot of bunting and sacrificing and Joey Cora arm waving but the lineup is mostly filled with slow guys that hit homeruns so....

Iguchi, by default, becomes the number 2 hitter but I would also like to see him hitting down in the order.

Assuming Pods returns to health fairly soon, the problems with this offense will stem from the SS and CF positions. If they could get Uribe's OBP over .300 and CF's about .350 , then this offense would rock.

That's what I really don't understand. WHY OH WHY did we get away from the grinder-ball, ozzie-ball, good fundamental baseball?

Granted, our offense was sucessful last year but, with alot of base clogging home run hitters, it made us too slump prone.

I thought we got away from that mentality when we traded CLee, let Maggs walk via free agency, and Big Frank was down with all those injuries.

I hope that we're sucessful with the team the way it is. I'm a HUGE Thome Fan but, we're struggling to get guys on base and hitting homers just like it's 2004 all over again.

We don't need to subtract anyone from the top of the order. Especially the one bright spot at the top which is Gooch.

itsnotrequired
03-16-2007, 01:12 PM
That's what I really don't understand. WHY OH WHY did we get away from the grinder-ball, ozzie-ball, good fundamental baseball?

Granted, our offense was sucessful last year but, with alot of base clogging home run hitters, it made us too slump prone.

I thought we got away from that mentality when we traded CLee, let Maggs walk via free agency, and Big Frank was down with all those injuries.

I hope that we're sucessful with the team the way it is. I'm a HUGE Thome Fan but, we're struggling to get guys on base and hitting homers just like it's 2004 all over again.

We don't need to subtract anyone from the top of the order. Especially the one bright spot at the top which is Gooch.

"Grinder Ball" died last year with Pods' injury and a suck-tacular pitching staff. As far as the offense is concerned, the 2006 group was essentially the same as the 2005 group minus Thome replacing Thomas and the loss of a centerfielder. In fact, Pierzynski's OBP was higher in 2006 than in 2005. The 2006 offense blew the doors off the 2005 offense. Pitching killed the Sox last year, plain and simple. You take the 2005 offense and combine it with the 2006 pitching and you have yourself a .500 team.

Bill Naharodny
03-16-2007, 01:15 PM
The thread title says it all. I was Gooch batting 2nd as long as he's with the Sox. I also don't like the idea of 3 lefties at the top--Pods, Erstad, Thome.

Agreed. And if Erstad's batting second, that also means he's playing everyday (no platoon) -- because Anderson can't hit #2 in the order, and that's a spot where I think you want to be doing the same thing everyday, for continuity's sake. (If Anderson does play, however, he should hit ahead of Uribe -- not behind him -- but that's another issue entirely.)

The other way to move Iguchi down, and not have 3 lefties at the top, would be to move Thome down in the order. I've been a supporter of this since last Spring. But I know that many here do not like that idea, because of Thome's OBP in the 3-slot. I just think he strikes out too much for that spot in the order, but I think I'm in the minority here.

PatK
03-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I laugh at people blaming Thome for cloggin up the bases.

It's not like he's any slower than Crazy Carl.

And Gooch's sacs were down so much last year because of the lack of production from the leadoff spot.

Walkman
03-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Pods and Erstad batting at the top of the order gives us the worst 1-2 hitters in the division, and ensures that our worst hitters get the most at bats. Oh but at least they are good defensively -- oh yeah, no they are not.

The Racehorse
03-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Pods and Erstad batting at the top of the order gives us the worst 1-2 hitters in the division, and ensures that our worst hitters get the most at bats. Oh but at least they are good defensively -- oh yeah, no they are not.

Erstad has won 3 Gold Gloves;
2000 = OF
2002 = OF
2004 = 1B

chitownhawkfan
03-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I'd like to see Iguchi hitting down in the order to see what he could do. But I don't think there are any acceptable replacements in the 2 slot on this roster. I definitely don't want Erstad hitting there, too many lefties, and too old. I think having a good 2 hitter is so much more important than having a run producing 6 that you have no choice but to leave Iguchi batting second.

Madscout
03-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Gooch has to stay #2. Erstad will not be an everyday guy. BA will be our main CF, Pods will be back, and Erstad will be there to help out Pods mostly.

IndianWhiteSox
03-16-2007, 01:58 PM
What are you people talking about? Anderson will be more than fine hitting #2 in the lineup batting .300/.400/25/25/75 this year for our SOX.

schmitty9800
03-16-2007, 02:16 PM
As has been said, the reason you move Iguchi down is to utilize his power more. His OBP and AVG went up last year while his SLG went down. Ideally he could hit 20-25 homers.

Now, the only downside is that we don't have a great OBP guy to stick in the 2nd slot. With Pods leading off that's an OBP of .330-.350, you'd ideally like a guy at #2 who can approach that. Erstad has the potential to be that guy (as much as people are down on him with his .290 OBP last year, that was only in 40 games and he has a chance to approach the .320-.350 level he was at from 2002-5). However if Erstad struggles, Ozzie needs to pull the plug immediately and try BA, Jerry Owens, or Pablo Ozuna (I guess they know something I don't, but the guy really hit amazing off the bench) IMO.

So vs. RHP:

Pods LF
Erstad/whoever CF
Konerko 1B
Thome DH
Dye RF
Iguchi 2B
Pierzynski C
Crede 3B
Uribe/Cintron SS

This would be the lineup. Iguchi could drive in 100 from this position. Of course, Crede at #8 is not ideal.

vs. LHP:

Pods LF
Ozuna CF
Konerko 1B
Thome DH
Dye RF
Iguchi 2B
Crede 3B
Hall C
Uribe SS

Madscout
03-16-2007, 02:23 PM
"As has been said, the reason you move Iguchi down is to utilize his power more. His OBP and AVG went up last year while his SLG went down. Ideally he could hit 20-25 homers."

It has also been said that we have enough power. If we want to commit to "grinder ball", then Gooch is the man for the 2 slot. More HRs don't always mean a better season.

jabrch
03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
"As has been said, the reason you move Iguchi down is to utilize his power more. His OBP and AVG went up last year while his SLG went down. Ideally he could hit 20-25 homers."

It has also been said that we have enough power. If we want to commit to "grinder ball", then Gooch is the man for the 2 slot. More HRs don't always mean a better season.

It makes sense if you put a guy in the #2 spot who can give himself up equally as well (sacrifice, take pitches, hit behind runners) but wouldn't slg so high further down.

schmitty9800
03-16-2007, 02:32 PM

It's not just homers though; Gooch hit six triples in 2005, and 0 in 2006. Hey, if we win games with him at #2 I don't have any problem with Gooch hitting there. I just think that we can find someone effective in the #2 slot while moving Gooch down to give him more freedom at the plate.

Walkman
03-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Erstad has won 3 Gold Gloves;
2000 = OF
2002 = OF
2004 = 1B

All due respect, but the 1B gold glove might mean he will be good at stopping singles from slipping between his legs. That makes him better defensively than Pods. He's not the same guy that won OF gold gloves 5 and 7 years ago.

The Racehorse
03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
All due respect, but the 1B gold glove might mean he will be good at stopping singles from slipping between his legs. That makes him better defensively than Pods. He's not the same guy that won OF gold gloves 5 and 7 years ago.

Why are you down playing Erstad's abilities with the glove, dismissing it as simply not allowing singles to slip between his legs? I would think his work at 1B back in 2004 was much more than that.

Sure, he's probably not the same as he was 5 or 7 years ago, but I don't expect him to do pirouettes in the outfield like Mack.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is if Erstad can get the job done batting in the 2-hole, the Sox will be in great shape... both offensively & defensively.

AnkleSox
03-16-2007, 04:20 PM

He also doesn't suck as you implied in the original post.

skobabe8
03-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I absolutely hate the idea of moving Iguchi down. He is so good at doing whatever the scenario calls for at the #2. Whether its moving guys along (bunting or swinging away), taking pitches, even hitting for power when needed. Why would I want him to possibly hit 10 more hrs from the 6th or 7th spot? So we can rely even more on the longball? I know he would have some obp guys in front of him, but relying on the hr sucks. Lets get some motion right away in the first inning of games like we did 2 years ago.

Iguchi in the 2 hole makes this team better. No one in a thousand years can convince me otherwise.

gobears1987
03-16-2007, 05:50 PM
snip
You know, Anderson has a spot on this team too. There is no way in hell Ozuna's bat is good enough to justify losing Anderson's glove in CF. Same with Erstad.

jabrch
03-16-2007, 06:18 PM
All due respect, but the 1B gold glove might mean he will be good at stopping singles from slipping between his legs.

Lots of things go on during games that aren't noticeable in a spreadsheet. Now I'm not saying that the GG is a meaningful award, but it does mean a lot more than "stopping singles from slipping between his legs".

Now is when I need someone to remind me about Palmeiro's 1B GG and Jeter's undeserved GGs.

Muttball
03-16-2007, 06:54 PM
As a strictly baseball move I don't particularly like it. Iguchi is our best #2 hitter and , as has already been stated, a good #2 is more important than another power bat. We already have plenty of those.
I could kinda see it being some sort of attempt on Ozzies' part to let Iguchi indulge himself for sacrificing himself so much over the last couple seasons. I don't know how great of a strategy that really is though. Why let sentiment cheapen your offense and make it anymore one-dimensional then it already is.

skobabe8
03-16-2007, 07:08 PM
As a strictly baseball move I don't particularly like it. Iguchi is our best #2 hitter and , as has already been stated, a good #2 is more important than another power bat. We already have plenty of those.
I could kinda see it being some sort of attempt on Ozzies' part to let Iguchi indulge himself for sacrificing himself so much over the last couple seasons. I don't know how great of a strategy that really is though. Why let sentiment cheapen your offense and make it anymore one-dimensional then it already is.

:welcome:

ShoelessJoeS
03-16-2007, 08:27 PM
If Gooch batted lower in the lineup, I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup of...

Pods
Erstad
Dye
Konerko
Thome
Crede
AJ
Iguchi
Uribe

I love BA just as much as the next guy, but he has no room in this lineup if Gooch is batting lower.

Walkman
03-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Lots of things go on during games that aren't noticeable in a spreadsheet. Now I'm not saying that the GG is a meaningful award, but it does mean a lot more than "stopping singles from slipping between his legs".

Now is when I need someone to remind me about Palmeiro's 1B GG and Jeter's undeserved GGs.

I just meant that winning a gold glove at 1B doesn't speak to his OF abilities.

Walkman
03-16-2007, 08:54 PM
He also doesn't suck as you implied in the original post.

I am looking for a starting OF in the AL that brings less to the table offensively than Erstad.

HomeFish
03-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I am looking for a starting OF in the AL that brings less to the table offensively than Erstad.

Brian Anderson?

Walkman
03-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Brian Anderson?

Well done!

DickAllen72
03-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I laugh at people blaming Thome for cloggin up the bases.

It's not like he's any slower than Crazy Carl.

Carl could score from second base on a hit. He could also go from first to third on a single to right.

FarWestChicago
03-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Carl could score from second base on a hit. He could also go from first to third on a single to right.You might want to slow down on the hard liquor consumption. :o:

itsnotrequired
03-16-2007, 11:34 PM
You might want to slow down on the hard liquor consumption. :o:

http://www.anni80.info/sport/images/lewis_gal_l_02.jpg

Question not my speed...

DickAllen72
03-17-2007, 01:21 AM
You might want to slow down on the hard liquor consumption. :o:
:rolleyes:

jabrch
03-17-2007, 01:55 AM
I just meant that winning a gold glove at 1B doesn't speak to his OF abilities.

And coincidentally enough, he has won GGs in the OF also.

oeo
03-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Why not ask him yourself? (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/fan_forum/forms/video_qa.jsp?loc=ozzie)

esbrechtel
03-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Yes sir he won GGs in both 2000 and 2002 in the OF.....He only won one GG at 1b in 2004....

soxinem1
03-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Carl could score from second base on a hit. He could also go from first to third on a single to right.

Sure, in 1994.

DickAllen72
03-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Sure, in 1994.

Well, first of all, thank you for at least being civil and non-condescending in your response. That is becoming almost unheard of around here.

Early in his career, Carl could run quite well, actually. When the Sox acquired him the first time he still ran OK.

In 2004, when he was on the Sox, he looked like the Michelin tire man and couldn't run a lick without pulling a muscle. I remember Carl said it was mostly water weight he put on to which Ozzie replied, "What the **** did you do, drink a swimming pool?" :D:

Anyway, in 2005 Carl reported in shape and although he was not "fast" in any sense, he could still score from second base on a hit and go from first to third on ground balls to RF. This is not my opinion, this is fact. He did it.

One of the things that bugged me about the Sox last season and again in ST this year is how the Sox can get three hits in an inning and yet not score because the runners only advance one base at a time. They don't need speedburners throughout the lineup, but it would be nice to have baserunners that can score from second base on a hit or go first to third once in a while. This is routine for most major league players, even those with below averge speed.

Now before another witty poster responds, I'm not suggesting bringing back Carl as an answer.

ChiTownTrojan
03-17-2007, 12:01 PM
The only other viable #2 guy on the team would be Erstad, but I don't want to see him playing every day. Maybe later in the season if BA is having a good season we could try him there, but that's wishful thinking. So why don't we use Erstad as the #2 when he's in the lineup (about 80-90 games), and Iguchi when he's not? Then Iguchi can drop down lower in the order for half the time and we see how he does there.

I suggested this right when we picked up Erstad, and someone commented that we shouldn't mess with Iguchi's swing that way. But I think it's a myth that that would happen. True that Iguchi didn't do so well when we tried him there during ST 2006, but to me it looks like he just could be a slow starter and needs all of ST to get back in his groove. I think he could handle the role.

Frater Perdurabo
03-17-2007, 02:10 PM
One of the things that bugged me about the Sox last season and again in ST this year is how the Sox can get three hits in an inning and yet not score because the runners only advance one base at a time. They don't need speedburners throughout the lineup, but it would be nice to have baserunners that can score from second base on a hit or go first to third once in a while. This is routine for most major league players, even those with below average speed.

I noticed that too. There were a few times when they did not score after getting three consecutive singles to start an inning! :o:

schmitty9800
03-17-2007, 03:48 PM
You know, Anderson has a spot on this team too. There is no way in hell Ozuna's bat is good enough to justify losing Anderson's glove in CF. Same with Erstad.

Still up in the air though. If the roster fleshes out like has been reported lately (with Pods being ready for opening day) BA will be the odd man out since Mack and Erstad can't be sent down without clearing waivers IIRC.

White Sox Randy
03-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Sometimes I wonder if it even matters what the lineup is with this group of guys.

They're going to make so many outs on the bases with Pods getting caught stealing so much and Joey Cora getting so many guys nailed at the plate and Ozzie insisting on doing all this running while having one of the slowest lineups in baseball.

Really. Why don't we just put the best hitters out there and let them hit ?

IndianWhiteSox
03-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Sometimes I wonder if it even matters what the lineup is with this group of guys.

They're going to make so many outs on the bases with Pods getting caught stealing so much and Joey Cora getting so many guys nailed at the plate and Ozzie insisting on doing all this running while having one of the slowest lineups in baseball.

Well, you have to worry about defense as well. I sure as hell, don't want to see Mac in CF again!

SBSoxFan
03-19-2007, 11:54 AM

The Sox have a new third base coach this year.

jabrch
03-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Still up in the air though. If the roster fleshes out like has been reported lately (with Pods being ready for opening day) BA will be the odd man out since Mack and Erstad can't be sent down without clearing waivers IIRC.

Mack would be VERY useful to an NL team that needs a PH/platoon/emergency player. He's less useful for a top tier AL team.

If Pods is ready, it would not surprise me to see Mack get traded to an NL team for a 6ft 5 pitcher with a power arm who hasn't quite made it to the bigtime or a very young IF prospect (some 18 year old kid that most of us know nothing about who plays SS or 2B).

Walkman
03-19-2007, 05:31 PM

Well we better hold our breath that he can turn back the clock to 2002 defensively then. Offensively, since he has neither cracked the league-average OBP in five or six years, nor slugged over .400 in the span, I'm not going to hold my breath.

FarWestChicago
03-19-2007, 07:01 PM
The Sox have a new third base coach this year.You had to go and ruin a perfectly good depressed whine. :redneck

UserNameBlank
03-20-2007, 02:36 AM
It would be nice to be able to use Iguchi's power more, but I just have no idea why KW and Ozzie want Erstad in the starting lineup. I can see exactly what is going to happen, too. Darin is going to put down a lot o bunts and advance runners and do all the good things when he needs to, but he's probably going to hit around .280 with no OBP and do nothing at all for the Sox when Pods isn't on base.

I like the guy as a bench player but I don't know why he is even being considered over Brian. At first it seemed to me like most of the Erstad talk was a way for the Sox to motivate Brian, but it appears now that they are serious and actually like the idea of Erstad hitting at the top of the lineup. If that is the case though, why didn't Sweeney have a shot at making this team? Even though he's probably not ready, I'm guessing he betters Erstad's numbers all around as a regular player.

I just hope this experiment ends. Ditto with Thome hitting third over JD. He does not belong in that spot.