PDA

View Full Version : a bit of info.

AJ Hellraiser
03-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Just talked to a relative of mine that works for a prominent Chicago media outlet... for privacy reasons, I don't want to name him but if you REALLY must know you can PM me... all I'll say is that he has been at spring training since day one, seen each game and practices and interviewed EVERYONE from Reinsdorf to Ozzie to KW to Coop.... Here are a few notes to pass along from what he's seen and heard:

-- He fully expects Floyd to start the season in the minors... said the kid has all the talent in the world and could still develop into a star, but he has serious mental issues that just won't be worked out by the time April 2nd rolls around

--Danks will most likely get the fifth spot because Ozzie would rather have Haeger in the bullpen and as of right now, it looks like Haeger will be there instead of Aardsma

--Says he is not worried about Buehrle yet, his stuff has looked pretty good

--Finally, he says that the arms in the bullpen are just electric an are going to really be the difference... he said if we had these arms last season we probably would have been in the playoffs and been right around 100 wins!

Take it for what it's worth but I just wanted to share with my fellow WSI'ers!!!

esbrechtel
03-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Sounds good...lets hope for 100....and lets hope thats enough to make the playoffs...

HotelWhiteSox
03-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Agree with most of it. I only kind of worry about the Haegar thing, not a big fan of knuckleballers, a lot of pitches/walks, especially in the pen, just my general feeling. I think KW will look like a stud if Denks can already be productive, even if it's matching what El Duque used to give you. Also helps in that case if the pen is improved.

I have heard some Chicago media people say they think Floyd is definately the #5, because the organization would want to save face for the Freddy deal. Maybe some other teams, but I think Kenny making these types of deals in the first place defies that. Plus, it's common sense that Garcia was going to be traded, if Gio is worth anything it'll be a good deal. The only question is if you could have gotten more (I would have waited a little), but it's not really fair for anyone to say that if you aren't in that board room

chisox77
03-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Interesting stuff. If Danks is the best choice right now, then he should be the #5.

:cool:

WhiteSox5187
03-15-2007, 11:22 PM
I do think that Danks is going to be our guy for the fifth spot this year...On a semi-related note my dad was having dinner with two high ranking members of the Cardinals front office (one of whom used to play for the White Sox, hint hint) and they were talking baseball and got around to the Sox. Both members liked the Garcia trade but thought they could have gotten more for him and one member thinks that Anderson is the next big thing in baseball and is going to tear the league apart. Both were also in agreement that Pods just isn't the answer.

gr8mexico
03-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Well the Brandon trade would make Kenny look like a genius already because he got 2 Major League players for 1. Your going to have Masset and Danks in the bigs and they both look amazing. Everybody is going to forget about the Garcia trade. Here's to Kenny :gulp:

thomas35forever
03-15-2007, 11:39 PM
If Danks doesn't get the fifth starter spot, I've lost all faith in humanity.

CashMan
03-16-2007, 12:15 AM
I am about 99% sure, Floyd has only 1 more option to be sent down.

CLR01
03-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I do think that Danks is going to be our guy for the fifth spot this year...On a semi-related note my dad was having dinner with two high ranking members of the Cardinals front office (one of whom used to play for the White Sox, hint hint) and they were talking baseball and got around to the Sox. Both members liked the Garcia trade but thought they could have gotten more for him and one member thinks that Anderson is the next big thing in baseball and is going to tear the league apart. Both were also in agreement that Pods just isn't the answer.

So its Buehrle and Anderson for Pujols and Wainwright? Nice....

delben91
03-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Sounds good...lets hope for 100....and lets hope thats enough to make the playoffs...

If a team wins 100 games and doesn't make the playoffs, I will be utterly shocked.

IndianWhiteSox
03-16-2007, 05:37 AM
If a team wins 100 games and doesn't make the playoffs, I will be utterly shocked.

That happened in the 1980 season:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1980.shtml

soxfanatlanta
03-16-2007, 06:17 AM

Happened in 1993 as well. The Giants won 103 games and got bubkas for it. If Danks is ready, then so be it, but there's two weeks left in ST, and a lot can happen.

Hitmen77
03-16-2007, 07:48 AM

Happened in 1993 as well. The Giants won 103 games and got bubkas for it. If Danks is ready, then so be it, but there's two weeks left in ST, and a lot can happen.

There were only 2 divisions and no wild card in 1980 and '93. It's much, much more unlikely now.

White Sox Randy
03-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Just talked to a relative of mine that works for a prominent Chicago media outlet... for privacy reasons, I don't want to name him but if you REALLY must know you can PM me... all I'll say is that he has been at spring training since day one, seen each game and practices and interviewed EVERYONE from Reinsdorf to Ozzie to KW to Coop.... Here are a few notes to pass along from what he's seen and heard:

-- He fully expects Floyd to start the season in the minors... said the kid has all the talent in the world and could still develop into a star, but he has serious mental issues that just won't be worked out by the time April 2nd rolls around

--Danks will most likely get the fifth spot because Ozzie would rather have Haeger in the bullpen and as of right now, it looks like Haeger will be there instead of Aardsma

--Finally, he says that the arms in the bullpen are just electric an are going to really be the difference... he said if we had these arms last season we probably would have been in the playoffs and been right around 100 wins!

Take it for what it's worth but I just wanted to share with my fellow WSI'ers!!!

All of this makes sense. Floyd should start in the minors. The Garcia trade will always hinge on Floyd. If he becomes a really good starter, even if it takes another couple of years, it will be a good deal. If he never becomes a star then the trade wasn't a good one.

Haeger becomes important for the pen because we have a rookie basically in the fifth spot even if it is Floyd. He wants some one to put up innings from the pen. Unfortunately, Aardsma hasn't looked good from what I understand.

The rest sounds about right as well.

soxfan13
03-16-2007, 10:21 AM

Wow pretty much what I have been reading in the papers as a great man once said " You stop sending me information, and you start getting me some" :tongue:

chisoxmike
03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Wow pretty much what I have been reading in the papers:tongue:

Yeah, really. Even Gavin Floyd being a head case I read about when we traded for him.