Crede
Iguchi
Pierzynski
Uribe
Hall
Cintron
Ozuna
Anderson
PerezIf they carry 11 pitchers (instead of 12)...this is how I would build the roster. Looking at our typical starting lineup...I think it's more likely we'll need a RH hitter off the bench w/some pop than a LH. Especially in our division. So Mack would be packaged in a trade(Erstad can play all 3 OF positions + 1B)...if the rumored Rowand trade happens....Anderson goes to AAA.

AJ Hellraiser
03-15-2007, 02:35 AM
Yeah, I'd pretty much have to agree.... Eduardo Perez can flat out rake against lefties and that's really important since the Sox have so much trouble against them.. so can Toby Hall apparently, thus the two of them could really help...

I think Mack needs to go... he has even had trouble fielding the corner outfield spots this spring... I know he brings a lot to the plate, but can't risk his defense being a costly factor with the game on the line and it's not like Cintron, Perez, Ozuna, etc. can't hit...

Corlose 15
03-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I would much rather have Mackowiak than Perez. IMO, Mack is a lot more versatile than Perez, and younger so there is less chance of an injury. Mack is a good pinch hitter as well. I'm just not all that impressed with Perez.

KenBerryGrab
03-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Put in Mackowiak and sub out Anderson and I'm with you.

TomBradley72
03-15-2007, 01:43 PM
I would much rather have Mackowiak than Perez. IMO, Mack is a lot more versatile than Perez, and younger so there is less chance of an injury. Mack is a good pinch hitter as well. I'm just not all that impressed with Perez.
I agree...but when it comes to potential platooning/match ups/pinch hitting...I see it as more likely that we'll be looking for a RH hitter to offset Pods/Erstad/Thome/AJ than looking for a LH hitter to offset Dye/Crede/Uribe/Konerko/Iguchi...with Erstad ahead of Mack now for the three OF positions and 1B.

oeo
03-15-2007, 01:49 PM

:rolleyes:

No thanks on having Mackowiak as our backup CF'er again. Erstad is here to play the outfield off the bench, something we didn't have last year, and you're going to use him as a starter and leave us in the same ****hole as last year with no one else capable of playing center?

And Anderson has had a pretty good spring, how is keeping him off the 25 man roster justified?

chisoxmike
03-15-2007, 03:11 PM

So, you like balls hitting the ground in center field?

Craig Grebeck
03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
How do you justify Erstad as the starter when Anderson has been better this spring?

ohiosoxfan12
03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
How do you justify Erstad as the starter when Anderson has been better this spring?

Erstad was hurt most of last year and is likely to be a little rusty. I don't know if i can stand watching Brian Anderson in the on deck circle with runners on, again this year.

russ99
03-15-2007, 05:42 PM
It's nice that we have this thread, that means the season's starting soon! :D:

My 25-man as of now:

Fielders(14)
C: Pierzynski, Hall
IF: Konerko, Thome, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Cintron, Ozuna
OF: Dye, Anderson, Erstad, Mackowiak, Perez

Pitchers(11)
SP: Contreras, Garland, Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks
RP: McDougal, Thornton, Aardsma, Masset, Haeger
CL: Jenks

DL: Podsednik (IMO the Sox will take their time getting him on the field, despite how well he did yesterday. My guess is April 15th) Perez/Mack/Anderson goes down when Pods is ready. It all depends on how those three & Erstad hit against real Major League pitching for the first 2 weeks.

DickAllen72
03-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Podsednik
Erstad
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Crede
Iguchi
Pierzynski
Uribe
Hall
Cintron
Ozuna
Anderson
PerezIf they carry 11 pitchers (instead of 12)...this is how I would build the roster. Looking at our typical starting lineup...I think it's more likely we'll need a RH hitter off the bench w/some pop than a LH. Especially in our division. So Mack would be packaged in a trade(Erstad can play all 3 OF positions + 1B)...if the rumored Rowand trade happens....Anderson goes to AAA.
I'm with you.

ChiTownTrojan
03-15-2007, 07:12 PM

My 25-man as of now:

Fielders(14)

Pitchers(11)

DL: Podsednik (IMO the Sox will take their time getting him on the field, despite how well he did yesterday. My guess is April 15th) Perez/Mack/Anderson goes down when Pods is ready. It all depends on how those three & Erstad hit against real Major League pitching for the first 2 weeks.
This is the scenario I see as well. I think Pods knows how missing last spring training set him back during the season, and he was never able to recover. Despite his performance yesterday I think he should start the season on a rehab assignment in AAA to make sure he's got his timing back before rejoining the team. If that indeed is what happens, it gives us an extra couple weeks to decide between Mack and Perez.

ChiTownTrojan
03-15-2007, 07:19 PM

My 25-man as of now:

Fielders(14)

Pitchers(11)

This is the scenario that I pedict as well. Pods knows how missing spring training last year set him back timing-wise to begin the season, and he never recovered. I hope he starts the season on a rehab assignment in AAA so that he at least gets a couple extra weeks to get some action in. Then the coaches can decide between Mack and Perez.

I like Mack a lot, because he's probably our best option off the bench from an offensive standpoint, and he is versatile enough defensively that he can find his way into the game in many situations. I wonder though if he is a luxery we might not have room for, and a RH hitter like Perez might be more necessary.

TomBradley72
03-15-2007, 07:23 PM

I went with the line up I figured would most likely face RHPs..but I see Anderson/Erstad in mostly a platoon situation...pending what happens with Pods.

santo=dorf
03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
So, you like balls hitting the ground in center field?
Mack isn't going to be playing CF this year.

At this point I don't know which signing looks more pointless; Podsednik, or Erstad.

ChiTownTrojan
03-15-2007, 08:17 PM
At this point I don't know which signing looks more pointless; Podsednik, or Erstad.
Why do you say that? I think they'll both contribute this year, though one of them will be coming off the bench.

oeo
03-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Erstad was hurt most of last year and is likely to be a little rusty. I don't know if i can stand watching Brian Anderson in the on deck circle with runners on, again this year.

Another baseless assumption about Anderson.

How about you give the guy a chance. He struggled a lot in the first half last year, AS A ROOKIE. He's had a good spring, and at this point is our best option in center. Not everyone is capable of having a Rookie of the Year type season.

BV2005
03-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Another baseless assumption about Anderson.

How about you give the guy a chance. He struggled a lot in the first half last year, AS A ROOKIE. He's had a good spring, and at this point is our best option in center. Not everyone is capable of having a Rookie of the Year type season.

I agree. Brian Anderson is going to have a good year.

DrCrawdad
03-16-2007, 08:59 AM
(One of the players to gain the most) in the final two weeks are center fielder Luis Terrero...Terrero, 26, once a top prospect in the Arizona organization, has displayed better plate discipline in the last week.

"I love Terrero," Guillen said. "There are a lot of guys fighting for a job now. That's why I feel good. The decision will be fun but not easy."

Terrero, who is out of options, is perceived as a backup. Brian Anderson is batting .320 and will need to win the starting center-field job to stay on the 25-man roster.

Looks like Terrero is a serious candidate for the 25 man roster.

Thome25
03-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Looks like Terrero is a serious candidate for the 25 man roster.

If Terrero is in as the backup CF then either BA is going to AAA or Perez/Mack is gone.

If they elect to take Terrero, and Pods is healthy by opening day then I think BA will go to AAA because I can't see him sitting on the bench getting rusty.

SBSoxFan
03-16-2007, 09:59 AM
If Terrero is in as the backup CF then either BA is going to AAA or Perez/Mack is gone.

If they elect to take Terrero, and Pods is healthy by opening day then I think BA will go to AAA because I can't see him sitting on the bench getting rusty.

Agreed. I can see BA being sent down, and the Sox testing Terrero to see if can perform up North. If he tanks, you cut him and bring up BA. The other option is to just cut him. Might as well take him for a test drive first.

maurice
03-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I love Terrero.

This scares the crap out of me. Has he found his new Timo?

SABRSox
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM

I really hope not. Luis Terrero? Over Brian Anderson? Is this bizarro world?

DrCrawdad
03-16-2007, 01:21 PM

http://images.sportsline.com/images/baseball/mlb/players/60x80/21678.jpg
Julio Ramirez, '01 Sox future star

RowanDye
03-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I really hope not. Luis Terrero? Over Brian Anderson? Is this bizarro world?

Nope, it's Wario World.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/awaj/what/wario.jpg

I hope Wario's, er Ozzie's, comments in the media and all of the competition bring the best out of BA. Ultimately I just want the best man for the job, but I'd prefer that to be Anderson. Hopefully some of the things Ozzie says are just motiviational tactics for Brian and there's not some underlieing feud between them.

slowlearner
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm all for giving BA another chance. I think given time he can become a very serviceable CF.

However, IMHO, if he struggles, the sox are going to have to go out an get another OF, be it Rowand or someone else.

Right now, between LF and CF, you have various combinations of Erstad/Podsednik/BA/Mack/Perez/maybe Terrero.

I don't know about anyone else, but that doesn't really thrill me. All of those guys have serious deficiencies in their games. Having a platoon at one OF spot is one thing, two is another.

Best case scenario is BA has a good year and Pods gets back to his old (healthy) self. Anyone wan to bet on the chances of both happening?

As it stands, the outfield is this team's biggest liability. Absent someone coming up from the minors and having a breakout year, I don't see how Kenny can't make a move.

White Sox Randy
03-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree with most. I think the Sox are best off playing Anderson as the starting CF. Forget Terrero.

Keep Perez. He can play 3b, 1b and DH . I like the lineup with Ozuna, Perez and Hall replacing A.J., Thome and Pods against some lefties.

That may result in having to trade Mackowiak. What could the Sox get for him ?

California Sox
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM

My 25-man as of now:

Fielders(14)

Pitchers(11)

This thread is about the position player battle, but one point about your pitchers: Sisco has all but made the team. Ozzie's said as much. Kenny didn't tear him a new one in the golf cart because he's going down, but because the team is counting on him. And there's no way that we're playing Minny and Cleveland with one left-hander in the pen. Here's my pen: Jenks, MacDougal, Thornton, Sisco, Masset, and Logan. Aardsma's not earned a spot and his six weeks of effective pitching last year for the Cubs doesn't prove much to me. Logan's been better and would come in handy in the division.

TomBradley72
03-16-2007, 03:31 PM

:hawk C'mon Terrero!

AnkleSox
03-16-2007, 03:41 PM
For the people ragging on Anderson: Can you remember a guy who was an amazing defender but struggled ALOT with his bat in his first few seasons? Now he's a postseason hero and fan favorite.

Nobody can guarantee that Anderson will have the success that Crede has had, but if he does it'll be funny to see all his critics talking about how much they love him and how we need to lock him up long term.

maurice
03-16-2007, 03:56 PM

Not much, considering his salary. Maybe Damaso Marte.

ChiTownTrojan
03-17-2007, 12:21 PM
If they do trade him, I hope it's for a lot more than that. I love Mack, and think he is extremely valuable for his bat and ability to play the corner OF and IF spots effectively enough to get his way into the lineup. I just think on this team, he's become more of a luxery than anything because our bench is so strong, one of the best (if not the best) in the MLB. Perhaps we could get a decent prospect, or package him for something better.

SoxFan64
03-20-2007, 04:02 PM

If we trade him to the team that he eats up (the Flubbies) we should be able to get a lot more than Marte. :D:

chisoxmike
03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Podsednik LF
Erstad CF
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Crede 3B
Iguchi 2B
Pierzynski C
Uribe SS

Contreras
Garland
Buehrle
Vazquez
:dunno:

Masset
Aardsma
Sisco
MacDougal
Thorton
Jenks

Hall
Ozuna
Anderson
Cintron
Mackowiak

soxinem1
03-22-2007, 02:48 PM

http://www.007.info/FFImages/TBJamesBond.jpg

'I think he got the point.' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not much, considering his salary. Maybe Damaso Marte. Four lefties in the pen? You are not thinking of Marte as a starter, are you? :rolleyes:

ChicagoHoosier
03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
It appears we have another BA debate thread. But I see how it fits the subject of the discussion, which is who makes the 25 man roster.

I say BA stays.

Also, would we really see three lefties in our bullpen with Thornton, Sisco, and Logan?