PDA

View Full Version : Most Well Pitched Inning in Franchise History

gobears1987
03-14-2007, 08:41 PM
What is it?

I'm going with the bottom of the 6th inning in Game 3 of the 2005 ALDS.

Marte may have stunk it up when he loaded the bases, but El Duque then gave us the best pitched inning I've ever seen.

Do you agree with this being the most well pitched inning or do you have another one on your mind?

BainesHOF
03-14-2007, 08:47 PM
I'll agree with you.

El Duque's escape act was electrifying.

DumpJerry
03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
What is it?

I'm going with the top of the 6th inning in Game 3 of the 2005 ALDS.

Marte may have stunk it up when he loaded the bases, but El Duque then gave us the best pitched inning I've ever seen.

Do you agree with this being the most well pitched inning or do you have another one on your mind?
I completely disagree with you.

The greatest was the bottom of the 6th of the same game when the Red Sox bowed down to el Duque. That was the greatest.

santo=dorf
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm in the minority, because that 6th in was BOOOORRRRIINNNNGG.

I nominate one of Charlie Robertson's 9 innings back on April 30th, 1922.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
That one game where that one guy faced 3 batters, threw 1 pitch to each, and got all 3 out.

chisox77
03-14-2007, 09:34 PM
El Duque's ultimate escape in Game 3 of the ALDS - classisc.

:cool:

thomas35forever
03-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Definitely El Duque's 6th inning in Boston. I don't think we'll ever see its equal on this team.

itsnotrequired
03-14-2007, 09:45 PM
In terms of magnitude, I can't imagine anything topping El Duque's 6th: postseason, bases loaded, no outs against the defending champs in their own park? Classic stuff.

I guess the only thing that would top it in terms of performance would be a 3 pitch, 3 out inning. Or maybe a guy coming in from the bullpen with runners on, throwing one pitch and having the defense turn a triple play. One pitch, three outs? It doesn't get much better than that.:cool:

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
One pitch, three outs? It doesn't get much better than that.:cool:

How about 0 pitches and 3 outs? Pitcher comes in with the bases loaded and proceeds to pick each runner off before throwing a pitch. :cool:

SOX ADDICT '73
03-14-2007, 10:16 PM
How about 0 pitches and 3 outs? Pitcher comes in with the bases loaded and proceeds to pick each runner off before throwing a pitch. :cool:
If we're talking about a well-PITCHED inning, I don't think the three-pitch, one-pitch, or even zero-pitch efforts described above fit the bill. Each of those circumstances rely as much, if not more, on the other defensive players to be achieved.

I remember Greg Maddux, in his first stint with the Cubs, striking out the side on nine straight pitches, though I don't recall if anyone on the Sox has ever done that. Until that happens, and even then it would have to be in some kind of crucial postseason situation, El Duque's sixth in Boston gets my vote.

itsnotrequired
03-14-2007, 10:18 PM

But that would still take three throws...unless the fielders went around the horn and picked off everyone. Can you get an error while running?:D:

Parrothead
03-14-2007, 10:23 PM

technically that is not a pitched inning since a pitch was not thrown. But a reliever coming in to a game in that situation throwing 1 pitch and then get a triple play.....Now that would be a great inning pitched. And I don't think that could be beat.
:D:

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 10:24 PM
technically that is not a pitched inning since a pitch was not thrown. But a reliever coming in to a game in that situation throwing 1 pitch and then get a triple play.....Now that would be a great inning pitched. And I don't think that could be beat.

So if a guy comes in and throws no pitches, but records outs, he doesn't get credit for any part of an inning pitched? I think he does in the boxscore. But I see what you mean when you say he really did not pitch.

Oldfellah
03-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Without a doubt,,, El Duque with the hammer down!!!!!!!!!

UserNameBlank
03-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Normally with opinions there are no right or wrong answers, but in this case there is only one correct answer, and that is El Duque's performance in the ALDS. You look at the situation - playoffs, bases loaded, no one out. Then you look at the pitcher himself, who could have been 45 at the time for all we know. Nowhere will anyone ever find a more shining example of why baseball is a thinking man's game. El Duque changed speeds, threw an array of pitches for several different arm angles, and just plain out-classed the Red Sox hitters. El Duque = legend, even though he'll never sniff the Hall.

gobears1987
03-14-2007, 10:54 PM
I completely disagree with you.

The greatest was the bottom of the 6th of the same game when the Red Sox bowed down to el Duque. That was the greatest.Oops I'll edit my original post

Soxfanspcu11
03-14-2007, 10:54 PM
What is it?

I'm going with the top of the 6th inning in Game 3 of the 2005 ALDS.

YES!

I completely agree!

You know how people often ask other people things like, "Do you remember where you were when so and so happened?" For example, "Do you remember where you were when Kennedy was killed? "Do you remember where you were on 9/11/2001?" Things like that.

Well, I have asked many a Sox fan where they were and what they were doing when El Duque pulled this magic off.

Personally, I can remember this like it was yesterday! I remember EXACTLY where I was. I was sitting at the bar with my friend at this bar in Schererville called the AMARILLO ROADHOUSE. Due to the time of the game (weekday afternoon), the bar was light on patrons.

I distinctly recall not being able to sit down on the bar stool. I was pacing back and forth, back and forth, bitting my fingernails. It was torture! One thing that really sticks out in my mind is just how many foul balls were hit in that sequence. It was nearly unbearable!!!

My friend and I both took off work that day so that we could watch the game, and it was totally worth it!

I couldn't imagine being @ work during that sequence and having to listen to it on the radio or watch the "gameplay" thing on Yahoo.

Do you guys also remember where you were and what you were doing during this INCREDIBLE moment in time??

Vernam
03-14-2007, 11:17 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/chris_berman.jpg
Oh!! He gets him to go!!! :whiner:

Hands-down, it's El Duque.

Vernam

ondafarm
03-14-2007, 11:20 PM

If I'm the third runner and he's just picked two guys off, I call time, go and stand on the bag and don't leave until the ball is hit.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 11:22 PM
If I'm the third runner and he's just picked two guys off, I call time, go and stand on the bag and don't leave until the ball is hit.

That would be the smart thing to do and I think most players would do so. However, a guy like Ozzie just might fall for it. Ye of the hidden ball trick Guillens.

lakeviewsoxfan
03-14-2007, 11:25 PM
YES!

I completely agree!

You know how people often ask other people things like, "Do you remember where you were when so and so happened?" For example, "Do you remember where you were when Kennedy was killed? "Do you remember where you were on 9/11/2001?" Things like that.

Well, I have asked many a Sox fan where they were and what they were doing when El Duque pulled this magic off.

Personally, I can remember this like it was yesterday! I remember EXACTLY where I was. I was sitting at the bar with my friend at this bar in Schererville called the AMARILLO ROADHOUSE. Due to the time of the game (weekday afternoon), the bar was light on patrons.

I distinctly recall not being able to sit down on the bar stool. I was pacing back and forth, back and forth, bitting my fingernails. It was torture! One thing that really sticks out in my mind is just how many foul balls were hit in that sequence. It was nearly unbearable!!!

My friend and I both took off work that day so that we could watch the game, and it was totally worth it!

I couldn't imagine being @ work during that sequence and having to listen to it on the radio or watch the "gameplay" thing on Yahoo.

Do you guys also remember where you were and what you were doing during this INCREDIBLE moment in time??

I was paying the $2.50 toll on the skyway and when Rooney said the words "Hocus Pocus says Hernandez" needless to say the attendant was kind of freaked out. What a moment, easily in my all-time top 10 sports moments of my time.

Unblyleven Bread
03-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Wilson Alvarez I think got 4 K's in Detroit in one inning.

gobears1987
03-14-2007, 11:29 PM
I don't recall that inning, but I'm gonig to guess one of them was a dropped 3rd strike, right?

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 11:32 PM
I don't recall that inning, but I'm gonig to guess one of them was a dropped 3rd strike, right?

Uh, there's no other way to get 4 K's in an inning...

itsnotrequired
03-15-2007, 07:16 AM

Yep, July 21, 1997.

johnr1note
03-15-2007, 07:40 AM
I was paying the $2.50 toll on the skyway and when Rooney said the words "Hocus Pocus says Hernandez" needless to say the attendant was kind of freaked out. What a moment, easily in my all-time top 10 sports moments of my time.

I can't say if that was the "most well pitched inning in franchise history," but I think it was the moment when I realized that the 05 Sox could, and would go all the way.

As for "where were you" . . .

I had been listening at work and on the way home from work. I was knawing off my finger nails as Marte loaded the bases, and was racing home, fearing for the worst. I had heard the first out on the radio, got home, and was able to then watch the last two amazing outs on TV with my son. It was a magical, surreal moment, to be sure.

soxfanatlanta
03-15-2007, 07:44 AM
As for "where were you" . . .

I was giving my 11 month old son a bath. I was peering over the tub while the game was playing in the bedroom. I almost fell in when the third out was recorded, "How in the hell did he do that?" was all I muttered for the rest of the game.

lumpyspun
03-15-2007, 08:05 AM
1990, 2 innings pitched by Steve Lyons:
1 Run, 2 hits, 4 BB, 1 SO
not too shabby.

itsnotrequired
03-15-2007, 08:29 AM
1990, 2 innings pitched by Steve Lyons:
1 Run, 2 hits, 4 BB, 1 SO
not too shabby.

The winner for that one would have to be an inning "pitched" by Marte back in 2005. IIRC, he came in from the pen, threw four pitches and hit two batters before getting yanked.

dwalteroo
03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
El Duque's performance made me realize that just about anything is possible. Hands down, the best pitching performance I've ever seen in one inning, and from a guy a lot of people were worried about being on the playoff roster. His closing out Johnny Damon still sends chills down my spine.

The official recap:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051007&content_id=1241391&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

wilburaga
03-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Parrothead:

This is a bit off topic, but Steve Kealey may have done just that for the Angels before he joined the Sox in the early 70's. I don't know how many pitches he threw, but he faced one batter (Amos Otis), induced a triple play, and got the victory. Recap from Retrosheet.

----------------------------------------------------
ROYALS 5TH: Schaal singled to center; Rojas singled to left
[Schaal to second]; KEALEY REPLACED MAY (PITCHING); Otis
grounded into a triple play (third to second to first) [Schaal
out at third, Rojas out at second]; 0 R, 2 H, 0 E, 0 LOB.
Angels 1, Royals 2.
----------------------------------------------------

W

Fenway
03-15-2007, 09:28 AM
What is it?

May have not been the best pitched inning in White Sox history but it may have been the most important.

If Boston breaks Game 3 open who is to say the Red Sox don't come back from the dead. Remember it probably would have been at least 5 days before Game 4 would have been played because it started raining that Friday night and didn't stop until Tuesday.

soxtalker
03-15-2007, 10:53 AM
What is it?

I don't want to minimize El Duque's performance, but I think that questions/statements about the "best in franchise history" aren't really fair. The Sox have been around a long time, and very few of us are even students of the teams beyond our lifetimes. The Sox were pretty good back in the first two decades of the 20th century, and I suspect there was an inning or two back then that is worthy.

spiffie
03-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Everyone has said Duque with perfectly good reason. It was amazing. So I'd like to find something a little more obscure.

This inning (well, technically 2 innings) has stuck with me for years as one of those moments where a guy just out of nowhere stepped up and looked amazing for a second.

Sox v. Tribe 6/28/96 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199606280.shtml)

The Sox were leading 4-2 after 6 innings. James Baldwin gave up a double to Kenny Lofton. He was pulled for Larry Thomas who gave up a single to Omar Vizquel, and hit Carlos Baerga with a pitch. At that point they brought in Bill Simas with the bases loaded and no outs. From there it went:

Albert Belle - Strikeout
Jim Thome - Strikeout
Eddie Murray - Groundout 3.

After ending the 7th he came out for the eighth and went:
Manny Ramirez - Strikeout looking
Jeromy Burnitz - Strikeout
Julio Franco - Groundout 5-3.

Roberto Hernandez would close out the ninth. I just remember that as being one of the first moments I really felt love for baseball after the strike of 1994. And it has stuck with me ever since.

PaulDrake
03-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Nothing in my lifetime compares to that electrifying performance by El Duque against the Red Sox. The umpire had a very narrow strike zone too, which makes it even more impressive to me.

IndianWhiteSox
03-15-2007, 12:25 PM
May have not been the best pitched inning in White Sox history but it may have been the most important.

If Boston breaks Game 3 open who is to say the Red Sox don't come back from the dead. Remember it probably would have been at least 5 days before Game 4 would have been played because it started raining that Friday night and didn't stop until Tuesday.

But that's a moot point now isn't it?

:cool:

Anyway, I would have to say easily the El Duque game, that was just unbelievable.

C-Dawg
03-15-2007, 12:37 PM

I was at my parents house and dinner had just been served as Marte loaded up the bases (bad timing, I know). I was trying to watch and chew on some nice barbequed chicken as El Duque pitched, but my mouth had gone so dry I had to get up and get a glass of water after every pitch. I honestly couldn't swallow.

Fenway is right; a base hit there may well have turned that series around. Fortunately that didn't happen!

Dibbs
03-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Bill Simas is the first person that popped in my mind. Three strikeouts vs Cleveland with the bases loaded was HUGE!

El Duque is obviously at the top of the list too.

Cotts in game one came to mind as well.

chitownhawkfan
03-15-2007, 12:52 PM
It has to be El Duque, not only did he get out of the biggest of jams, but to strike out that clown Damon was just the frosting on the cake.

Fenway
03-15-2007, 01:02 PM
It has to be El Duque, not only did he get out of the biggest of jams, but to strike out that clown Damon was just the frosting on the cake.

sniff :whiner:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/10/07/1128727019_1923.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/10/07/1128725760_4415.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/10/07/1128732127_2913.jpg

vegyrex
03-15-2007, 01:21 PM
El Duque!!!!

Nothing else compares.

The only way it will be topped is if either Jon, Mark or Jose pitch a complete game no hitter in game seven of the 2007 world series. :cool:

ShoelessJoeS
03-15-2007, 01:38 PM
It definitely has to be El Duque's legendary mop-up job of Marte's sloppy outing in the bottom of the 6th in Game 3 of the 2005 ALDS in Boston.

EDIT: I wish I had that photoshopped picture of El Duque and God touching fingers ala Adam and God on the Sistine (sp?) Chapel.

PKalltheway
03-15-2007, 02:05 PM
El Duque's escape act in the ALDS was amazing. IIRC, there was another tense situation in Game 3 of the World Series when the Astros had the bases loaded with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th inning and El Duque got out of it. Not nearly as good as the Boston game, but good nonetheless because I thought for sure, at that moment, that the Astros would force the series to a 5th game.

Also, how could you forget Bobby Jenks' 9th inning in Game 4? The tying run was on 2nd base, the winning run at the plate and Bobby (thanks to Juan Uribe's defense) got out of it.

RadioheadRocks
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm in the minority, because that 6th in was BOOOORRRRIINNNNGG.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Please tell me you're kidding!!! I'll admit it was a lengthy inning (the whole frame took almost an hour), but how could you not have been on the edge of your seat for the entire bottom of the 6th?

Britt Burns
03-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Has to be el Duque's 6th in Boston. I do remember a game in Minnesota in the early 90's when Black Jack pitched out of a bases loaded, no out jam in spectacular fashion, picking off one guy at thrid, IIRC. Obviously not in the league of el Duque's performance in the ALDS, but pretty clutch and well-pitched nevertheless.

HomeFish
03-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Remember, though: El Duque's miracle in Boston would not have happened if Damaso Marte had not pitched poorly in that same inning. It may have been the most AMAZING pitching-related inning in Sox history, but unlikely to be the best. The best is probably far more boring.

The best-pitched inning I can think of was Josh Fogg's major league debut. If memory serves, he struck out the first two batters he faced on 6 pitches, and then got the third guy to ground out. This was in relief in a late-season blowout against Cleveland.

DumpJerry
03-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Remember, though: El Duque's miracle in Boston would not have happened if Damaso Marte had not pitched poorly in that same inning. It may have been the most AMAZING pitching-related inning in Sox history, but unlikely to be the best. The best is probably far more boring.

The best-pitched inning I can think of was Josh Fogg's major league debut. If memory serves, he struck out the first two batters he faced on 6 pitches, and then got the third guy to ground out. This was in relief in a late-season blowout against Cleveland.
Sigh.............HomeFish, don't go a changing.

Now, if we're talking about a 9 inning effort, Buehrle's complete game on my birthday in '05 (April 16 vs. the Mariners) should rank right up there along with Games 2-5 of the '05 ALCS.

Dan Mega
03-15-2007, 05:38 PM
MLB.com has audio and video from the entire postseason of 2005. You can watch El Duque's performance!:bandance:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/ps/y2005/home.jsp?view=bos_cws

santo=dorf
03-15-2007, 05:41 PM
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Please tell me you're kidding!!! I'll admit it was a lengthy inning (the whole frame took almost an hour), but how could you not have been on the edge of your seat for the entire bottom of the 6th?
Honestly, if it was the 8th inning and the game was the deciding game I would have been pulling out my hair, but Marte's garbage performance just made me too angry to enjoy all of the moment. :angry:

It was still a great moment to me, but Sox were just so dominating that postseason you just knew they would prevail one way or another.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/sequence_1718x377.jpg

gobears1987
03-16-2007, 12:45 AM
I just popped my DVD in to see that inning once more. Berman was on the verge of crying.

Mohoney
03-16-2007, 02:54 AM
What is it?

No contest.

El Duque pitched well in the 2004 ALCS, but the rest of that Yankees team collapsed. He got another chance at the Red Sox, when they thought that they were big and bad with those rings on their fingers, and was, quite simply, the bigger man.

He saw the chance to shut the door on their asses, and he ran with it.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-16-2007, 03:09 AM
If we're talking about a well-PITCHED inning, I don't think the three-pitch, one-pitch, or even zero-pitch efforts described above fit the bill. Each of those circumstances rely as much, if not more, on the other defensive players to be achieved.

I remember Greg Maddux, in his first stint with the Cubs, striking out the side on nine straight pitches, though I don't recall if anyone on the Sox has ever done that. Until that happens, and even then it would have to be in some kind of crucial postseason situation, El Duque's sixth in Boston gets my vote.

I want to say Billy Koch did that for us in one of his very few saves on the Southside.

C-Dawg
03-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Now, if we're talking about a 9 inning effort, Buehrle's complete game on my birthday in '05 (April 16 vs. the Mariners) should rank right up there ...

Didn't Shingo come in for the 9th in that game? I was there but sadly didn't keep score. I probably have that game confused with the 05 season opener.

I remember thinking; hey its so nice sitting here in the sun, let's play a couple more innings!

vegyrex
03-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Say what? :?:

RadioheadRocks
03-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Let's not forget that it didn't end with the bottom of the 6th; El Duque went back out there and pitched two more fantastic innings (despite Berman's "threats" that Big Papi and Manny were coming up) before the Wide Tall Guy came in and pitched the 9th. In my mind that made his overall pitching performance that day all the more phenomenal.

C-Dawg
03-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Let's not forget that it didn't end with the bottom of the 6th; El Duque went back out there and pitched two more fantastic innings (despite Berman's "threats" that Big Papi and Manny were coming up) .

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/chris_berman.jpg

"If the Red Sox can get this next batter on, and the next guy and the next guy and the next guy, then Ortiz and Ramirez will be up!"

SOX ADDICT '73
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I want to say Billy Koch did that for us in one of his very few saves on the Southside.
You may be right. However, before striking out the side on nine straight pitches, Billy would've loaded the bases with his first twelve!

SoxandtheCityTee
03-16-2007, 11:26 PM
That Bill Simas perfomance vs. CLE was my personal previous record holder, since surpassed by El Duque. I was at that 1996 game; it was a Friday night with a huge crowd and the giveaway was towels, which everyone was waving. The following spring they showed the previous season's highlight video on the Jumbotron -- it was all offense and a few fielding plays. That inning by Simas was the only pitching highlight.

For that other memorable Friday night, the bottom of the sixth inning of game 3 of the 2005 ALDS, I was stuck in a stupendous traffic jam at the River Road toll plaza on the inbound Kennedy, listening to the game on the radio. We were barely moving at all and when when Damon made the third out I put the car in park, opened the sun roof, stood up through it and yelled and cheered. I wasn't the o nly one, either. What a surpassingly great moment.

DumpJerry
03-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Let's not forget Britt Burns' for the first 9 innings of the 1983 ALCS Game 4.

Too bad about his 10th inning performance.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

SoxandtheCityTee
03-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Let's not forget Britt Burns' for the first 9 innings of the 1983 ALCS Game 4.

Let's not forget? I've spent years repressing that game.

ChiSoxGirl
03-16-2007, 11:35 PM
For that other memorable Friday night, the bottom of the sixth inning of game 3 of the 2005 ALDS, I was stuck in a stupendous traffic jam at the River Road toll plaza on the inbound Kennedy, listening to the game on the radio. We were barely moving at all and when when Damon made the third out I put the car in park, opened the sun roof, stood up through it and yelled and cheered. I wasn't the only one, either. What a surpassingly great moment.

That had to be the coolest thing to see! Had I been in that same traffic, I'm sure I would've done the same thing! :thumbsup:

DumpJerry
03-16-2007, 11:41 PM
For that other memorable Friday night, the bottom of the sixth inning of game 3 of the 2005 ALDS, I was stuck in a stupendous traffic jam at the River Road toll plaza on the inbound Kennedy, listening to the game on the radio. We were barely moving at all and when when Damon made the third out I put the car in park, opened the sun roof, stood up through it and yelled and cheered. I wasn't the o nly one, either. What a surpassingly great moment.
I was at Player's on Ogden. When Damaso walked his third guy to load the bases, you could hear a pin drop in the room despite the fact that there were easily over 100 of us in there. When Duque came out and got Graffanino, there was a some noise in the room, but it was still pretty tense. When Veritek flied out, we still could not let loose and the room was tense. When Damon got rung up, the room exploded as if we just won the World Series! The tension in the room was 110% gone and we all knew that this team was destined for greatness!:D:

RadioheadRocks
03-17-2007, 12:02 AM
I was at Player's on Ogden. When Damaso walked his third guy to load the bases, you could hear a pin drop in the room despite the fact that there were easily over 100 of us in there. When Duque came out and got Graffanino, there was a some noise in the room, but it was still pretty tense. When Veritek flied out, we still could not let loose and the room was tense. When Damon got rung up, the room exploded as if we just won the World Series! The tension in the room was 110% gone and we all knew that this team was destined for greatness!:D:

Exactly! As great as those first two ALDS games were, El Duque getting out of the bottom of the 6th was that defining moment where I first felt that "hey, we're going to win this whole thing!" :cool: