PDA

View Full Version : Howry Loses Job To Glover

CerberusWG
03-18-2002, 07:22 PM
FINALLY!

Sorry for caps!!!

From today's writeup D-Backs v Sox

After the game, White Sox manager Jerry Manuel announced that setup man Bob Howry had lost his job to Gary Glover. Howry, who had shoulder surgery after the 2000 season and struggled in 2001, allowed four runs on six hits in two innings in the loss to Arizona.

YES, GASCAN IS OUT!

rmusacch
03-18-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
FINALLY!

Sorry for caps!!!

From today's writeup D-Backs v Sox

After the game, White Sox manager Jerry Manuel announced that setup man Bob Howry had lost his job to Gary Glover. Howry, who had shoulder surgery after the 2000 season and struggled in 2001, allowed four runs on six hits in two innings in the loss to Arizona.

YES, GASCAN IS OUT!

So what exactly does that mean? Does that mean that they are going to cut Howry? Or will he be a middle reliever?

HawkDJ
03-18-2002, 07:29 PM
Why Gary Glover? Isn't he more of a long reliever? I would think it would be Osuna who would take the set up job. So what is in the future for Howry now?

Daver
03-18-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

So what exactly does that mean? Does that mean that they are going to cut Howry? Or will he be a middle reliever?

I would tend to think that a trade is imminent,he is under contract for another year.

Soxheads
03-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Why Gary Glover? Isn't he more of a long reliever? I would think it would be Osuna who would take the set up job. So what is in the future for Howry now?

I totally agree.

RedPinStripes
03-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

Trade bait or washing your car soon.

I'm surprised they didn't announce Osuna as the set up guy. That's what KW wanted him for. As much as i bashed the guy before and yesterday. He looked great yesterday on the mound.

rmusacch
03-18-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by daver

I would tend to think that a trade is imminent,he is under contract for another year.

Who would want him as ****ty as he has looked?

Daver
03-18-2002, 07:46 PM

Danny Evans has proven to be a fool so far this year.

baggio202
03-18-2002, 07:47 PM

we really missed the boat on howry..oh to go back a month and be able to pul lthe trigger on the gagne deal...id even throw in valenzuela to make that deal

Pete_SSAC
03-18-2002, 08:21 PM
Howry will NOT finnish this year in a Sox Uni.

I am surprised that Osuna didn't get the Set-Up gig, it could be that they plan on seeing what he can do, and go from there. On the record, I have been a backer of Osuna.

- Pete

Jerry_Manuel
03-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by daver
Danny Evans has proven to be a fool so far this year.

Correct, Howry and Royce for cash sounds good to me. :o:

voodoochile
03-18-2002, 08:34 PM
Does this mean Rauch gets the 5th starters slot?

Daver
03-18-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

It's possible,but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Living in a motel room with a flock of goats is unpleasant.

Pete_SSAC
03-18-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

That's pretty much a given right now. With Glover out of the piture, and Parque not ready, there's two spots left for two people. Wright and Rauch. Unless we can still pull off that Gagne trdae. Which means that Dogers GM is a retarded chimp.

- Pete

Jerry_Manuel
03-18-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Unless we can still pull off that Gagne trdae. Which means that Dogers GM is a retarded chimp.
- Pete

This is Dan Evans were talking about.

baggio202
03-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

That's pretty much a given right now. With Glover out of the piture, and Parque not ready, there's two spots left for two people. Wright and Rauch. Unless we can still pull off that Gagne trdae. Which means that Dogers GM is a retarded chimp.

- Pete

well... the dodgers still have gagne and we still have howry...so who is the retarded chimp?? :o: ...evans might not be billy bean but no one would touch howry now..he is more untradable than AFROyce

SOXit2EM
03-18-2002, 09:08 PM
I wouldnt give up on Howry just yet. I would like to see if he can get back to form in a month or 2........ As for Glover being the set up man......Has Manuel been out to the Reservations smoking peyote or what?........ I think Osuna should definitely be the man. Didnt we chunk out 5 mil to this guy?

longshot7
03-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

we really missed the boat on howry..oh to go back a month and be able to pul lthe trigger on the gagne deal...id even throw in valenzuela to make that deal

you obviously don't know Gagne as well as you think you do. Valenzuela, whenever he gets a shot, will be a stud. And mark my words, because I watch him on a regular basis, Gagne will not.

OEO Magglio
03-18-2002, 09:33 PM
With Glover being the set up guy right now, does that mean that Jim Parque will be sent to the pen to be the long reliever, that might be why he said Glover is the setup guy, because the only other guy that could be the long reliever is Barcelo. Also by taking Howry's spot away I am almost sure he is going to be traded.

ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheeses_h_rice
03-18-2002, 09:42 PM
I'd just like to add this little question...

CAN THIS CLUB'S PITCHING SITUATION GET ANY MORE CHAOTIC?!?

We have, like, 4 or 5 "sure things" out of 12 or 13.

Not good.

Daver
03-18-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Not good.

BLAME NARDI! BLAME NARDI!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-18-2002, 10:18 PM

:jaime :valet :walk
"Welcome to Comiskey! Park your car, sir?"

:gulp:

Huisj
03-18-2002, 10:27 PM

Not good.

Nah, it's more like we have mostly sure things on the pitching staff, really . . . it's sure that two-thirds of it will suck and/or get injured.

baggio202
03-18-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

you obviously don't know Gagne as well as you think you do. Valenzuela, whenever he gets a shot, will be a stud. And mark my words, because I watch him on a regular basis, Gagne will not.

well..i must admit ive only seen gagne throw twice..once he looked real sharp..other time kind of medicore...i went to the dodger mlb boards and ask their what they thought of gagne when we were 1st talking about trading for him...most of the responses i got were pretty positive....last year at age 25 gagne in 151 ip struck out 130..thats striking out almost 8 batters per 9 ip...and that was mostly as a starter...i imagine if he pitched in our pen to replace howry he could average a strike out per ip...i think he could be real good someday...but you have seen him more than me so ill take your opinion into account..

as for howry..now ive watched his whole career.. i see about 80% of all the sox games either live or on tv...howry was great..but he has been fastball slider..hard ,hard hard stuff....if his fastball doesnt come back he could never stay in the majors...he is a year removed from surgery and seems like he is regressing...if he has anothe ryear like last year or worse..i think its the last we will se of bob howry

thats a shame really..in '00 if we got to the 8th inning and turned the ball over howry and then foulke...it was lights out..a gaurenteed victory...howry very rarely blew a lead and foulke never a save....and when he foulke couldnt get the save or close a game out (ie the 6 run lead in texas) howry was there to bail him out...they worked great as a tandem...this really sux :whiner:

duke of dorwood
03-18-2002, 10:38 PM
Well nice going guys. By announcing the demotion in public, trade value is now even less than before.

:jerry

It's the beard folks

bc2k
03-19-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
With Glover being the set up guy right now, does that mean that Jim Parque will be sent to the pen to be the long reliever, that might be why he said Glover is the setup guy, because the only other guy that could be the long reliever is Barcelo. Also by taking Howry's spot away I am almost sure he is going to be traded.

ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to read between the lines OEO. This is a way for Parque to save face as to why he isn't starting and allows JM to cop-out of making a real decision on the starting 5.
The set-up role is important and Glover is better than Osuna. Until Osuna proves himself, let him pitch middle relief.

Jerry_Manuel
03-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Not good.

Which is what I've been saying for awhile now.

Minnesota 2002 Central Division Champions.

kermittheefrog
03-19-2002, 11:44 AM

Well you obviously don't know Valenzuela as well as you think you do because he's only a year younger than Konerko and Lee. At the same age they had 3 and 2 years in the majors respectively. Valenzuela has less than 200 PAs in the International League and a sub-.300 OBP to show for it. I dunno where you get stud outta that.

longshot7
03-19-2002, 12:16 PM
okay, so you got me. The point is, Gagne hasn't proven anything yet, so we really shouldn't be lobbying for a trade. You should have seen how excited the Dodgers fans were when they got Baldwin, and it was clear they had no clue how terrible he was.

kermittheefrog
03-19-2002, 12:35 PM
okay, so you got me. The point is, Gagne hasn't proven anything yet, so we really shouldn't be lobbying for a trade. You should have seen how excited the Dodgers fans were when they got Baldwin, and it was clear they had no clue how terrible he was.

I'd be happy to have Gagne for Howry. The guy is still just 26, has a couple years under his belt and last year as mostly a starter showed an ability to get strikeouts and had a almost 3:1 K:BB ratio. He could be on the verge of a breakout. He pitched only 150 innings but would have lead the Sox staff in Ks.

FarWestChicago
03-19-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I'd be happy to have Gagne for Howry. The guy is still just 26, has a couple years under his belt and last year as mostly a starter showed an ability to get strikeouts and had a almost 3:1 K:BB ratio. He could be on the verge of a breakout. He pitched only 150 innings but would have lead the Sox staff in Ks. Besides, what's the risk of giving up a very used :gascan ?

foulkesfan11
03-19-2002, 08:54 PM
Glover as a set up man? I thought he did well last year in long relief. After the season starts, I'm sure things will change. If our starters are hurting, they'll put him in.

Tragg
03-20-2002, 11:20 AM
I thought Gary Glover was getting to be pretty effective as a starter. Oh well.

Tragg
03-20-2002, 12:09 PM
And if we do want to trade Howry, I sure wouldn't demote him first - loses trade value.

RichH55
03-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I'd be happy to have Gagne for Howry. The guy is still just 26, has a couple years under his belt and last year as mostly a starter showed an ability to get strikeouts and had a almost 3:1 K:BB ratio. He could be on the verge of a breakout. He pitched only 150 innings but would have lead the Sox staff in Ks.

This rumor has been around for awhile....I have no idea to the validity of it, but at the time it is looking like a move that would be good, but hindsight makes moves easier...I still wanting to hoist Royce onto LA...c'est la vie