PDA

View Full Version : NYC to Ban Metal Bats

gobears1987
03-14-2007, 09:27 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-jimlitke-031307&prov=ap&type=lgns

I like this idea. I wish the NCAA would do the same.

Dan Mega
03-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I am ok with this as metal bats should be used for softball, not baseball. The "ping" sound disturbs me every time I hear it during a baseball came. Plus the bats are too overpriced.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I am ok with this as metal bats should be used for softball, not baseball. The "ping" sound disturbs me every time I hear it during a baseball came. Plus the bats are too overpriced.

Wood bats would be much more expensive to use. It's one of the reasons metal bats are still widely used.

skottyj242
03-14-2007, 10:10 AM
I agree that it would be too expensive to eliminate aluminum. I wish they hat wood at Sluggers, those aluminum ones suck and they hurt my hands.

Luke
03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
When they say metal, are they including composite and 2 piece bats?

I love the idea of wood bats, but I play in a league with the same issues, a good wood bat isn't cheap. Maple and pro stock ash can easily run $100+. If you only break one bat a year, you're already at the price of a metal bat.

Rather than ban the bats they should look at limiting the performance of them to something that resembles a wood bat.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Rather than ban the bats they should look at limiting the performance of them to something that resembles a wood bat.

Little league already does this.

soxfan13
03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
When they say metal, are they including composite and 2 piece bats?

I love the idea of wood bats, but I play in a league with the same issues, a good wood bat isn't cheap. Maple and pro stock ash can easily run $100+. If you only break one bat a year, you're already at the price of a metal bat.

Thats what I dont understand. I am amazed there isnt some sort of composite bat that has been invented that eliminates the aluminum bat and is more durable then the wood but acts the same as a wood bat. (wow I confused myself)

Simpler, composite bat that acts the same as a wooden bat but is more durable then wood.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Thats what I dont understand. I am amazed there isnt some sort of composite bat that has been invented that eliminates the aluminum bat and is more durable then the wood but acts the same as a wood bat. (wow I confused myself)

Simpler, composite bat that acts the same as a wooden bat but is more durable then wood.

Link (http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/sports/local_story_073001537.html?keyword=secondarystory) about Little League and bat manufacturers doing just that.

Also, more than 10 years ago, Little League Baseball set a “Bat Performance Factor” scale. The scale, measuring how fast the ball leaves a bat, registers a wooden bat at 1.00, with a very good wooden bat having a BPF of 1.15. The bats allowed by Little League have a BPF of 1.15.

Luke
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM

Louisville and Brett Bros both make composite wood bats. They're almost impossible to find though, and they're not cheap. I've never known anyone to that used one, so I don't have any feedback on their actual durability.

http://www.slugger.com/baseball/wood/tpxc271.html

They look pretty cool though.

soxfan13
03-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Louisville and Brett Bros both make composite wood bats. They're almost impossible to find though, and they're not cheap. I've never known anyone to that used one, so I don't have any feedback on their actual durability.

http://www.slugger.com/baseball/wood/tpxc271.html

They look pretty cool though.

Does look cool.:smile:

skottyj242
03-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Would those "notches" affect the ball off the bat?

Luke
03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Would those "notches" affect the ball off the bat?

I don't think so. When I was at the factory, they said the notches were filled in with a glue impregnated with sawdust, and then the bat was dipped in a type of lacquer to give it a smooth surface.

nug0hs
03-15-2007, 03:36 PM
aluminum bats DESTROY your hands as well

soxinem1
03-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Well, especially at the rate bats break in the pros in the last few years, in the long run wood is more expensive.

At the same token, I think the quality of pitching would change dramatically, especially at the high school and college ranks.