PDA

View Full Version : Pods Ahead of Schedule?

Dan Mega
03-14-2007, 08:03 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/295794,CST-SPT-sox14.article

He spent the first few weeks of camp on the practice field going through running drills, then straight to the trainer's room for treatment. He started taking flips in the batting cages a little less than three weeks ago. Over the weekend, doctors gave him the green light to take live batting practice, and he did so pain-free.

Why rush him back though? Last time he was rushed back he was a shell of what he could do.

itsnotrequired
03-14-2007, 08:18 AM
From Scott Reifert's blog:

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tomorrow's News Today

Leading off in tomorrow's B Game for the Sox is Scott Podsednik.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2007/03/b_games.html

Jaffar
03-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Why couldn't we just give him time and put Erstad in left, Brian in Center and then re-evaluate when Pods is ready?

chisox77
03-14-2007, 09:39 AM
The news is encouraging, the way I see it.

Odd numbered years for Pods are quite good:

2003 - .313 BA
2004 - .238 BA
2005 - .290 BA
2006 - .264 BA
2007 - ??????? (if pattern holds true, with better health, Pods should be near .300 again)

Of course, batting average doesn't tell the whole story. On base percentage does, as well as successful steals. But with a good batting average comes the benefit of higher OBP, which in odd years, Pods has been a pretty good leadoff hitter. Back in '05, I can recall coutless at bats where he caused pitchers to use all of their pitches. It required many pitches to get him out, or he would draw a walk, as well as bunting for 14 hits (as opposed to just 4 last year).

Even if his playing time is slightly less (due to recovery time and having Erstad), this could really work well. Even defensively, Pods is adequate when healthy, due to the fact that he can close the gap on a lot of well-hit fly balls and catch them. That makes up for his arm, in most cases.

:cool:

AuroraSoxFan
03-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm very glad he is making a speedy recovery. I just hope they let it run its course and don't hurry him back or anything. There are enough people to anchor the OF until he is fully ready to go.

mccoydp
03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Did anyone ask Dayn Perry what his opinion is? Just a thought...

:redneck

maurice
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I hope they don't add him to the 25-man until and unless he proves that he's capable of stealing bases effectively.

chitownhawkfan
03-14-2007, 02:26 PM
I hope they don't add him to the 25-man until and unless he proves that he's capable of stealing bases effectively.

Agreed, he serves no purpose on the roster if he can't run.

russ99
03-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Agreed, he serves no purpose on the roster if he can't run.

Scott's quotes in the Sun-Times article sound like his legs are in decent shape and his main concern is head-first slides.

I expect Ozzie, Greg & Herm to really put him through his paces the next 3 weeks to ensure his readiness, before deciding if he's ready for the 25-man roster.

skottyj242
03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/295794,CST-SPT-sox14.article

Why rush him back though? Last time he was rushed back he was a shell of what he could do.

Did you even read the article or were you too post happy to get all the way through it? It says he's going to take his time and he won't be back until mid April.

SBSoxFan
03-14-2007, 03:28 PM
FWIW, Joe Cowley was on the Score this afternoon, and said Pods looked fine (i.e., not limping) after the game today.

cbotnyse
03-14-2007, 03:54 PM
How many SB's are you hoping/thinking he will get this year? If he can get 45 I'd be happy.

soxfan13
03-14-2007, 03:56 PM
How many SB's are you hoping/thinking he will get this year? If he can get 45 I'd be happy.

Id be happy between 30 -40 as long as he disrupting the pitchers with the threat of stealing

oeo
03-14-2007, 04:17 PM

Who says he's being rushed back? They've already talked about not rushing him back because of last year, so I doubt that's happening. Maybe he worked hard and progressed farther than they thought he would...

IlliniSox4Life
03-14-2007, 04:19 PM

Id be happy between 30 -40 as long as he disrupting the pitchers with the threat of stealing

Exactly. I don't think it matters a whole lot the exact numbers he gets, but if he's on base and stealing effectively, the batters after him have a better chance. I suppose there's probably a minimum number of steals he needs to get in order to be that threatening, but I really don't care that much as long as the pitchers are concerned that he will.

JohnTucker0814
03-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Farmer said he had a couple of hits and SB in the B game today! woo hoo!

russ99
03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Farmer said he had a couple of hits and SB in the B game today! woo hoo!

Good news. Hopefully there's no health issues and he can start vs. the Cubs tomorrow. I'll have the DVR running. :D:

lizard6king6
03-14-2007, 06:48 PM
As I said several times, Pods will be the leadoff hitter that he is this season. He will have an awesome year! Glad to hear hes healthy though!

esbrechtel
03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
good article about the day on whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070314&content_id=1843158&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)......

Dan Mega
03-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Did you even read the article or were you too post happy to get all the way through it? It says he's going to take his time and he won't be back until mid April.

No I didn't read the article. I just happened to find the right link and it happened to be about Pods.:rolleyes:

Vernam
03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
good article about the day on whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070314&content_id=1843158&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)......I have mixed emotions, especially after hearing he stole a base, but he definitely needs to get some AB before the season starts.

Vernam

TomBradley72
03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
good article about the day on whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070314&content_id=1843158&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)......

I didn't know Richie Hebner was with the WSox organization.

AuroraSoxFan
03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I was very glad to hear of his success. Just can't put too much stock into it just yet. But if he can play at that level for the next 2 weeks and has no serious discomfort, may as well let him start on Opening Day.

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2007, 01:00 PM
The bottom line is that this is great news! :smile:

mantis1212
03-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Exactly. I don't think it matters a whole lot the exact numbers he gets, but if he's on base and stealing effectively, the batters after him have a better chance. I suppose there's probably a minimum number of steals he needs to get in order to be that threatening, but I really don't care that much as long as the pitchers are concerned that he will.

The stolen base count is important, but I think his stolen base percentage is the most important.

Last year his stolen base % was about 58%, which is horrible IMO. That equates to chopping 30 points off his batting average/OBP.

That said, I'm happy see the news today on his performance- I think a Podsednik in his 2005 form will be a HUGE difference-maker.

ChiSoxGirl
03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Iíve hesitated posting in this thread because I know the Pods lovers are few & far between.

I was very encouraged by his "B" game yesterday. Not only did he go 3-for-4, but he swiped a base and got a bunt base hit! That's so huge for him, especially since bunting wasn't something he excelled at for most of last season. I was one of the people who was glad they re-signed him because I really do believe he just had a down year. Heck, a couple of the guys on the team experienced sub-par years (see Buehrle, and Contreras in the second half) and I think everybody deserves some slack.

I know Podsednikís numbers are really good in odd-numbered years and I really think he's going to have a year like he did in '05 when he set the table for Iguchi and the other guys behind him.

If Pods can get his OBP back up to a respectable level, rather than the .330 he hovered around last season, I really think it'll pay dividends for the team.

goofymsfan
03-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Iíve hesitated posting in this thread because I know the Pods lovers are few & far between.

I was very encouraged by his "B" game yesterday. Not only did he go 3-for-4, but he swiped a base and got a bunt base hit! That's so huge for him, especially since bunting wasn't something he excelled at for most of last season. I was one of the people who was glad they re-signed him because I really do believe he just had a down year. Heck, a couple of the guys on the team experienced sub-par years (see Buehrle, and Contreras in the second half) and I think everybody deserves some slack.

I know Podsednikís numbers are really good in odd-numbered years and I really think he's going to have a year like he did in '05 when he set the table for Iguchi and the other guys behind him.

If Pods can get his OBP back up to a respectable level, rather than the .330 he hovered around last season, I really think it'll pay dividends for the team.

I've been a Scotty Fan for years. I tend not to post much on him because of the number of people that don't like him. He's actually the reason I ended up coming to this board. I think he learned a lot last year and will have a great year this year, but not over do it so he will still have a decent year next year. The up and down pattern has been because he pushed hard one year and then was injuried the next year causing a sub-par year. Last year was his worst in the Bigs and I think it was a real eye opener.

His results from the B-game are very encouraging. I just hope he can be consistant all year and not try and force things.

maurice
03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
His AVE/OBP has fluctuated from season to season, but it seems that his ability to steal bases has been simply declining with age / injuries. That's my major worry. Teams aren't going to be concerned about him stealing if they know they can throw him out 40% of the time.

ChiSoxGirl
03-16-2007, 10:34 AM
From this morning's Cubune: (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070315soxbits,1,5837613.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Scott Podsednik said he felt no pain Thursday after playing his first game following Jan. 23 surgery to repair a sports hernia.

"I feel great, other than just this sinus congestion," Podsednik said.

...Podsednik will make his Cactus League debut Friday in left field against the Cubs at Tucson Electric Park.This is AWESOME! The one thing he was worried about after Wednesday's game was how he'd feel in the morning. Sounds like he feels great!

And by the way, the game is on WGN today at 3p with Hawk & DJ making the call! http://soxandthecity.net/smilies/banana-1.gif