PDA

View Full Version : 5th starter

JermaineDye05
03-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Who do you want for the 5th starter in 2007?

kittle42
03-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Barring a trade, either Danks or Floyd. Haeger is the only other "realistic" option, though I hardly consider any of them great options.

Daver
03-13-2007, 10:12 PM
:chopper

Put me in coach.

CLR01
03-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Whoever has the best spring. I don't care about options, future contract issues, lefty/righty, age, or trying to prove you didn't get hosed in a trade. Whoever pitches the best should get the job not some guy Coop can work on because we don't have options or we don't want to waste his years. Ideally that would be Floyd or Haeger but it's definitely not limited to either.

gobears1987
03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Danks all the way!

DumpJerry
03-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I voted "other." I think Ed Walsh, a proven 40 game winner, would be an excellent anchor for the rotation.

chisoxmike
03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
1) This poll should be public.

2) Where's the "None of the bums above" option?

thomas35forever
03-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Danks. If Floyd and Haeger are raising questions and Danks is pleasing Ozzie, then the winner is obvious.

DumpJerry
03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
2) Where's the "None of the bums above" option?
How about adding Aaron Rowand as an option?:redneck

EMachine10
03-13-2007, 11:38 PM
How about adding Aaron Rowand as an option?:redneck

at least it was in teal :cool:

DumpJerry
03-14-2007, 12:01 AM
at least it was in teal :cool:
That's because I think he would a better Number Two, but that is not the question posed in this thread.........:rolleyes:

Vernam
03-14-2007, 12:19 AM
I voted "other." I think Ed Walsh, a proven 40 game winner, would be an excellent anchor for the rotation.Maybe that's who Morrissey had in mind with his column about the Sox "pitching stiffs." :redneck

I voted for Floyd because that's who I "want" as the fifth starter. The decision has to be made on merit, no question, but it's best for the franchise if Floyd is the guy because he'll be damaged goods in terms of trade value if he gets sent to the minors. Trouble is, it's looking like the best thing for the team is for someone other than Floyd to be the guy. And that's all that really matters, whether it's Danks, Haeger, or maybe even . . . Floyd.

Vernam

balke
03-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Vazquez. That probably won't happen though, so I don't really care who it is as long as they can win.

AJ Hellraiser
03-14-2007, 12:49 AM
I don't think Floyd can do it right now and if he gets the job and starts out slow, with the uncertainty of our other starters at the moment, we could be buried in the division before we can even really get going...

I also like Haeger because he has looked good considering he's throwing the knuckle ball in the dry air of Arizona, and I like the fact he can begin in the bullpen and if the 5th guy falters, jump into the rotation...

My vote goes to Danks though.... what impresses me the most is that he has come into camp and just competed from day one even though he knew he was behind the 8-ball.. he seems to be strong-willed and have a good head on his shoulders.. the biggest thing is that he just throws strikes and you can't put a price tag on that... let him start in the rotation and see if he can do it, if he falters I am sure he'll understand the demotion and embrace the fact he needs more seasoning...

TomBradley72
03-14-2007, 08:27 AM
My vote is for Haeger to OPEN the season as the 5th starter...gives us some flexibility to maybe skip the 5th spot due to open days, rain outs,etc...and use Haeger as our long man in April while Danks and Floyd get their regular work in at Charlotte. Come May/June if it's not working out...bring up either Danks or Floyd (whoever is performing better) if necessary.

White_Sock
03-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Danks is the way to go. If he's ready, then he's ready. No sense in letting him rot down in Charlotte for a year. And besides, the governator demands it.

White Sox Randy
03-14-2007, 09:45 AM
I voted "other" because I don't "want" any of these guys in the rotation right now.

I'd rather have a Jon Leiber ,for example.

But, I would pick Haeger from this group if I had to ,followed by Danks.

skottyj242
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm guessing this poll would change day by day with how whomever did the day before.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm guessing this poll would change day by day with how whomever did the day before.

Truer words have not been spoken around these parts. If Floyd goes out and throws 5 scoreless in his next start, we'll have threads anointing him the #5 starter.

krohnjw
03-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I say give Danks the shot right now. He may sink and end up needing a bit more time at Charlotte, but at this point he is attacking the zone and earning a shot at it. Floyd appears to need to get his head right before he will be successful long term at the major league level. Maybe he and Vazquez can go to the shrink together.

soxfan13
03-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Voted other bring back Danny Wright:D: like skotty said this poll would change day by day