PDA

View Full Version : Sociological research on SOX FANS

Whitesox029
03-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Ok, here is the deal...I'm writing a paper for my Intro to Sociology class about how a personal experience relates to larger social issues (I chose a focus on the concept of 'socialization'). Being who I am, I naturally found it easiest to write 3+ pages on how I came to be a Sox fan and how I identify with the traits commonly attributed to Sox fans.

Though it's too late to include this poll in the paper, I'm still interested to see the results, so two rules:

1. Vote before you read the paper

2. Don't post how you voted until the poll closes (24 hours from now) so that you don't influence how other people will vote.

Aside from that, tell me what you think of the paper! (but remember-- don't allude to the poll topic until the poll is closed)

kittle42
03-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Um, I think it's pretty obvious what the answers will be. This is like asking someone, "Would you like free money? Yes or no?"

santo=dorf
03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
What drought are you referring to? :?:

DumpJerry
03-13-2007, 11:29 PM
88 year drought? Were you in a coma in 2005?:?:
Since I don't know what you speak of (88 year drought), it is difficult to vote.

Unblyleven Bread
03-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I love the results of this poll. Good job everyone.

And I'm pretty sure he's aware that we won it all in '05. :rolleyes:

jenn2080
03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Drought??/:?:

RadioheadRocks
03-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Um, I think it's pretty obvious what the answers will be. This is like asking someone, "Would you like free money? Yes or no?"

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:qT_L-GGcM7gz4M:gallery.allinthefamilysit.com/albums/userpics/10001/Sally_Struthers_Gloria.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://gallery.allinthefamilysit.com/albums/userpics/10001/Sally_Struthers_Gloria.jpg&imgrefurl=http://chasecuts.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_chasecuts_archive.html&h=286&w=220&sz=23&tbnid=qT_L-GGcM7gz4M:&tbnh=115&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsally%2Bstruthers&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1)
"Do you want to make more money? Sure, we ALL do!!!" :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

munchman33
03-14-2007, 12:33 AM
ugh I voted wrong.

IlliniSox4Life
03-14-2007, 12:34 AM
He never said that it was a current 88 year drought. Was everyone else in a coma before 2005? :?:

Oh, and the only scenario I would throw an opposing HR ball back was if it was at a Cubs-Sox game at Wrigley field, and was a Cubs player I really disliked. Even then I'm not sure, I'd probably give it to some Cubs fan kid. I'm not quite sure how I'd react.

thomas35forever
03-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Well put my friend. I should show this to my Sociology teacher.:cool:

DumpJerry
03-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Shouldn't there be an option which reads "Throwing back a ball is illegal and i can get ejected from the game for throwing an object on the field, therefore, I'm not throwing anything back" since they do toss people who throw back (if they can be identified, I've seen it happen)?

DumpJerry
03-14-2007, 12:38 AM
He never said that it was a current 88 year drought. Was everyone else in a coma before 2005? :?:
It is written in the present tense. There is not 88 year drought that we know of.

Mock a post of mine again and I will turn you into a die-hard Cub fan.:tongue:

IlliniSox4Life
03-14-2007, 01:04 AM
It is written in the present tense. There is not 88 year drought that we know of.

Just because something no longer exists doesn't mean you can't talk about it in the present. You could presently blame a drought that happened in the past on something. For example, "I blame the 88 year drought on 88 years of teams that weren't good enough to win a world series". If I wrote it in the past tense it would imply I still don't blame that 88 year period on ****ty teams, which is not true.

You're not aware of an 88 year drought? Somebody who doesn't remember 3 years in the past? Sounds like I'm not the one who should be worried about being a die-hard Cub fan. :tongue:

DumpJerry
03-14-2007, 01:12 AM
The poll question should be "Prior to October 26, 2005..."

bludupree
03-14-2007, 01:29 AM

Or everyone should quit being so anal since they understand what he meant.

Whitesox029
03-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Believe me friends, this is something I thought about when I asked the question. I certainly would have written just that if there wasn't very limited space in which to type a poll question. Contrary to popular belief, they can't be as long as you want, and I needed to ask two questions, so I said it that way. My logic when I wrote it was the same as IlliniSox-- there was a drought, and just because it's over doesn't mean we can't still blame something for it. To be clear: I am quite aware of our 2005 world championship. I hope this clears things up, since I would really hate to have this turn into a pointless semantic argument.

Also, in response to those who think it's an obvious answer, I agree, which is why I wrote it in my paper before I even posted the poll. The poll was really just to confirm my having written something in a paper to make myself feel better about making what one could call an assumption.

Allow me to now draw attention away from the poll: the point of the thread is really "Tell me what you think of my paper."

...and thank you in advance for your opinions! :)

WhiteSoxFan84
03-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Hmmmm.....

Option A) throw the ball as far as I can back on the field, look like a hero to.... nobody, look like a fool to pretty much everybody.

Option B) give the ball to a kid sitting near me and looking like a hero in the kid's eyes, having people around me look at me in a positive way, and maybe even picking up a hot chick who saw what I just did and now likes me because of it (alllrriighhttt! :bandance: ).

DECISIONS, DECISIONS!

HotelWhiteSox
03-14-2007, 04:58 AM
good to see mshake vote

IndianWhiteSox
03-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Hmmmm.....

Option B) give the ball to a kid sitting near me and looking like a hero in the kid's eyes, having people around me look at me in a positive way, and maybe even picking up a hot chick who saw what I just did and now likes me because of it (alllrriighhttt! :bandance: ).

DECISIONS, DECISIONS!

I guess I would do that or just keep the ball if its a future hall of famer like Ken Griffey or Frank Thomas or Josh Fields, and hope to get it signed at an undetermined time to either frame it or sell it to Todd McFarlane for a few million dollars!:tongue:

WizardsofOzzie
03-14-2007, 08:17 AM
good to see mshake vote
:rolling: i was thinking the same thing

soxstarter
03-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Yeahhh, After reading the initial post, I thought he made a mistake and meant to post this on some other team's fan site.

Zisk77
03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
How would an opposing player ever hit a HR against us?:?: :?: :?: I'lltake a double shot of the Black and Silver Kool-aid.:redneck

tebman
03-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Allow me to now draw attention away from the poll: the point of the thread is really "Tell me what you think of my paper."

...and thank you in advance for your opinions! :)
Nice job on the paper, '029. I think the subject can be examined in a lot more depth than what you wrote, but if that was the limit of the assignment for your class it was good work.

I think somebody (who would obviously have to have the time and resources to do it) could literally write a book on the cultural and attitudinal differences between White Sox fans and Cub fans. In my limited experience I've been intrigued for years by the whole South Side/North Side, blue collar/white collar, beer-drinker/wine-drinker stereotypes that seem to play out consistently between Sox and Cub fans.

Interesting stuff. But the bottom line is that I would never throw back a home run ball, I don't blame curses for lousy baseball, and I like beer. :gulp:

Mr.1Dog
03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
I hope this isn't the final draft because there are many grammatical mistakes. Just a heads up buddy. Also, to make your paper look nice, justify the margins.:cool:

Railsplitter
03-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Or everyone should quit being so anal since they understand what he meant.

It's like what reporters were told about the first Mayor Daley: "Don't write what he said, write what he meant."

The never was a "curse" and I'd never throw an opposing home run ball back. Catching ANY ball in the stands is a rare enough occurance.

russ99
03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
It's like what reporters were told about the first Mayor Daley: "Don't write what he said, write what he meant."

The never was a "curse" and I'd never throw an opposing home run ball back. Catching ANY ball in the stands is a rare enough occurance.

I ever caught a home run ball, I'd be so blown away I'd either keep it, or give it to a kid.

Sox fans don't believe in curses, they've just blamed the manager, GM and/or owner for gross mismanagement throughout their history, and supported their team, win or lose.

I see where this survey is going, though! :tongue: Maybe your paper should be titled "The Gross Stupidity of Cub Fans".

jabrch
03-14-2007, 10:34 AM
This one year drought has sucked.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 10:46 AM
I ever caught a home run ball, I'd be so blown away I'd either keep it, or give it to a kid.

I think every adult who catches a foul ball or home run ball should find the nearest kid to him/her and give the ball away. It's a nice gesture.

nlentz88
03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
This one year drought has sucked.

I know! The waiting is killing me. I'm beginning to doubt I'll ever see another Sox championship in my lifetime.

nlentz88
03-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I think every adult who catches a foul ball or home run ball should find the nearest kid to him/her and give the ball away. It's a nice gesture.

Even if that adult (such as me) has never caught a foul/homer ball at a major league game? I don't know. I hear where you're coming from. Afterall, a baseball is basically a toy. Give it to a kid who will find wonder in it. But I bet that if I ever caught a homer, I'd be filled with wonder and excitement too. I'd feel like a little kid myself. And I'd probably want to keep the ball, especially if it was hit by one of my favorite players or a future member of the HoF. But as I've never been in that situation, I just don't know how I'd react. I'll also add that I'd be much more likely to give such a ball to one of my nephews or nieces if I was at the game with them than give it to some stranger's kid.

Whitesox029
03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
I hope this isn't the final draft because there are many grammatical mistakes. Just a heads up buddy. Also, to make your paper look nice, justify the margins.:cool:
Thanks for the tip, but it's going to be graded for content by a sociology grad student, so I don't expect her to take points off for it. Out of curiosity though, and because I normally take pride in my grammatical abilities, would you care to point out some examples? I myself have already found this:
Such a capability is a form of self-awareness which, if used properly, can help one to realize that many of his or her problems are out of control without necessarily placing full blame on other people.
Which should read
" Such a capability is a form of self-awareness which, if used properly, can help one to realize that many of his or her problems are out of his or her control without necessarily placing full blame on other people. "
...but that was just a usage error that resulted in me changing the wording of that sentence about three times without going back to see if it made sense at the end.

Hokiesox
03-14-2007, 01:22 PM

Oh, and the only scenario I would throw an opposing HR ball back was if it was at a Cubs-Sox game at Wrigley field, and was a Cubs player I really disliked. Even then I'm not sure, I'd probably give it to some Cubs fan kid. I'm not quite sure how I'd react.

blow it up.

chisoxmike
03-14-2007, 04:02 PM

Oh come on. I've never caught a home run ball before and if I were to catch a Sox home run I would keep it. If it were a opposing team's HR, I'd give it to a kid.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh come on. I've never caught a home run ball before and if I were to catch a Sox home run I would keep it. If it were a opposing team's HR, I'd give it to a kid.

I know what you mean. A few years back I caught a Jason Giambi home run ball (but it was during batting practice). He hit it all the way to the concourse in RF, bounced once off the ground and onto the wall, and it came right back to me. I was so damn happy to have caught it. Some guy was chasing it down too and almost sucker punched me to get it lol. The best part is my friends and I had just walked onto the concourse when it happened. It was awesome. I still have the ball laying around and it's got two sick spots on it (one from the bat, second from the ground and/or wall).

adidas773
03-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I think overall you did a pretty good job on the paper.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Even if that adult (such as me) has never caught a foul/homer ball at a major league game? I don't know. I hear where you're coming from. Afterall, a baseball is basically a toy. Give it to a kid who will find wonder in it. But I bet that if I ever caught a homer, I'd be filled with wonder and excitement too. I'd feel like a little kid myself. And I'd probably want to keep the ball, especially if it was hit by one of my favorite players or a future member of the HoF. But as I've never been in that situation, I just don't know how I'd react. I'll also add that I'd be much more likely to give such a ball to one of my nephews or nieces if I was at the game with them than give it to some stranger's kid.

I'd give it away regardless. It's a baseball. Yay! I caught a baseball or picked one up off the ground. Compare that to the joy a little kid would get from getting a ball from MLB. I'd take that any day of the week over keeping a baseball. You'd make the little kid's day. Maybe even turn him into more of a baseball fan.

Mercy!
03-14-2007, 11:00 PM
As a girl, I never got to play baseball, so having a souvenir home run ball has no iconic significance for me. I would gladly give it to a nearby youngster.

Curses? Gimme a break! I'd as soon believe in witches - or gods.

Edit: Okay, now I've read all the posts and your paper.

I disagree that there are "many" grammatical errors, but I caught a couple. Nevertheless, it seemed apparent to me that you care about how you express yourself; that shines through in your paper.

I thought your choice of topic was fun, and I bet whoever grades your paper will think so, too.

My main beef is that you provide zero data or references to back up your many blanket statements. Basically, you are stating your opinions as fact. But, then, Sociology as a discipline is often faulted for its nonexistent or faulty science.

Good luck with your class!