PDA

View Full Version : Sign Him, Kenny!

UserNameBlank
03-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Mets released Cuban defector Alay Soler (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070313&content_id=1840769&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp)today. Sign him Kenny!!!

Cooper could use some more work... don't know if that should be in teal or not. Soler had a couple nice starts for the Mets last year, and maybe this is Minaya just being stupid.

Jjav829
03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Your post title was my first thought when I saw that he was released. Granted I have no clue what he's been doing in Spring Training (other than seeing his stats look bad), but I thought Soler looked good last year in the starts I saw him. He doesn't have the greatest stuff, but he can pitch fairly well. If the Sox don't feel Danks is ready, I'd rather see Soler given a chance than Floyd.

I really thought the Mets gave up on Soler too quickly last year. He pitched fairly well in his first career start. He got shelled against the D'backs in his 2nd career start, but settled in. In his next 4 starts (@ the Dodgers, @ the D'backs, home against the O's and Reds), Soler allowed just 5 runs over 27 innings, including a 2-hit shutout against the D'backs. His ERA was at 3.32 and he was showing better control.

Then he pitched two interleague games on the road against the Red Sox and Yankees. He got shelled in both starts and that was it for his time in the majors. IIRC, Soler had some injury that kept him out of action for some time after being sent down.

I would imagine some team deperate for pitching (and really, who isn't desperate for pitching?) is going to pick him up fast. His upside isn't great, but he's a solid back-of-the-rotation option. Why the pitching-deprived Mets gave up on him so quickly, I don't know.

UserNameBlank
03-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm glad you posted in this thread. I was surprised no one else did, because he is a perfect low risk/high reward type of signing that the Sox or any other team with several million left on the payroll for additions can make.

IMO Kenny is looking into this right now. He has to be. He loves Cubans.

IndianWhiteSox
03-14-2007, 05:47 AM
Mets released Cuban defector Alay Soler (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070313&content_id=1840769&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp)today. Sign him Kenny!!!

Cooper could use some more work... don't know if that should be in teal or not. Soler had a couple nice starts for the Mets last year, and maybe this is Minaya just being stupid.

I'm not sure if the Coop statement needed teal or not either, but the thing is, if he's the type of pitcher that KW is looking for(mid-high 90's pitcher with other hard pitches) then this should be a no-brainer for KW to sign him.

Ziggy S
03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Omar Minaya's age minimum requirement for pitchers is thirty-seven.

Mr.1Dog
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
His spring ERA in four appearances, spanning 7 2/3 innings, was 8.22.

Seems like he could use Coop's magic.

soxinem1
03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
NYM are really short on SP, so if they cut the guy, there must have been a reason.

We already have a guy not throwing hard and getting lit up in Floyd, we don't need another one to muddle the picture.

Vernam
03-14-2007, 06:45 PM
NYM are really short on SP, so if they cut the guy, there must have been a reason.:nod: El Duque is their No. 2 starter. I love the guy for that ALDS clincher, but c'mon . . .

Vernam

Parrothead
03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Seems like he could use Coop's magic.

Coop's magic is not working this year in Spring Training.

Domeshot17
03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
my thoughts exactly. Coop is good, but this Coop the miracle worker thing went to far thus far this spring. Aardsma has looked almost as bad as floyd. Danks and Masset look like they should be the top 2 with Haeger 3 for the number 5 spot. MAYBE Floyd is better suited moving to the bullpen. We need to get our lock guys in order first before we add more projects. Garland got knocked around today as have some of our other bigger guys, so lets get them goin first.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
my thoughts exactly. Coop is good, but this Coop the miracle worker thing went to far thus far this spring. Aardsma has looked almost as bad as floyd. Danks and Masset look like they should be the top 2 with Haeger 3 for the number 5 spot. MAYBE Floyd is better suited moving to the bullpen. We need to get our lock guys in order first before we add more projects. Garland got knocked around today as have some of our other bigger guys, so lets get them goin first.

Did you really expect Coop to fix every starter on the face of the earth within 3 weeks? He obviously won't make everyone Cy Young, but sheesh, it's been 3 weeks. Give him some time.

EDIT: As for Gar getting "knocked around" today, he started slow in the 1st. Then he threw 3 scoreless innings. I'll take that any March 14 of any year.

soxfan13
03-14-2007, 08:34 PM
NYM are really short on SP, so if they cut the guy, there must have been a reason.

We already have a guy not throwing hard and getting lit up in Floyd, we don't need another one to muddle the picture.

From what I read today in the papers Floyd was hitting 93-94 yesterday with his fastball but his problem has been control:?:

UserNameBlank
03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Did you really expect Coop to fix every starter on the face of the earth within 3 weeks? He obviously won't make everyone Cy Young, but sheesh, it's been 3 weeks. Give him some time.

EDIT: As for Gar getting "knocked around" today, he started slow in the 1st. Then he threw 3 scoreless innings. I'll take that any March 14 of any year.

On Garland, he threw two fastballs up in the zone. One got hit for a double I believe and the other for a single. IIRC, everything else he gave up in that 1st inning was a ground ball that would have been slowed down considerably in Chicago. I thought Jon looked pretty good out there as a whole.

ilsox7
03-14-2007, 10:13 PM
On Garland, he threw two fastballs up in the zone. One got hit for a double I believe and the other for a single. IIRC, everything else he gave up in that 1st inning was a ground ball that would have been slowed down considerably in Chicago. I thought Jon looked pretty good out there as a whole.

Good to hear! I didn't get to see the ballgame. That's another thing it seems a lot of people overlook: how hard the ground is AZ is. I've heard a lot about guys giving up groundballs that are outs almost anywhere, but get through the infield in AZ spring training. Regardless of how the Tribune will say Gar was awful yet again, it sounds like a good day.

UserNameBlank
03-14-2007, 10:14 PM

The Mets also gave roughly $11 million to Scott Schoenweis. I suppose there was a reason for that too...

drewcifer
03-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Good to hear! I didn't get to see the ballgame. That's another thing it seems a lot of people overlook: how hard the ground is AZ is. I've heard a lot about guys giving up groundballs that are outs almost anywhere, but get through the infield in AZ spring training.

It's not a measuring stick unless you know how to handicap it, that's for sure.

Hard ground, thin air, I can't even begin to tell you what the sun is like in Hi Corbett or TEP... It's like watching HS games or worse, but these are millionaire athletes.

sox1970
03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Soler hooked on with the Pirates.