PDA

View Full Version : Rogers article on the tigers.

JermaineDye05
03-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Pretty fair although I was curious as to what he meant when he said

After Jones moves on, Zumaya will become the closer. But manager Jim Leyland looks smart for keeping him in his setup role, where he gives Detroit a weapon no other AL team has at its disposal.

What weapon is that exactly? If he means hard throwing relievers, there are plenty of those in the AL. Or perhaps he meant multiple relievers that could close, I know theres also a couple of teams with a pair of those arms.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070312rogers,1,1482277.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility)

munchman33
03-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Pretty fair although I was curious as to what he meant when he said

What weapon is that exactly? If he means hard throwing relievers, there are plenty of those in the AL. Or perhaps he meant multiple relievers that could close, I know theres also a couple of teams with a pair of those arms.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070312rogers,1,1482277.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility)

I think he means Zumaya could not only close, but he'd be a lights out closer. And the Tigers can use him whenever they need it most, not necessarily in the ninth.

maurice
03-13-2007, 06:41 PM
he gives Detroit a weapon no other AL team has at its disposal

Man, I wish we had a good, hard-throwing bullpen guy who could close. Oh, wait, we have 3 of them (and maybe a couple more on the way).

FWIW, we talked about this article a bit in the most recent Rogers thread in WTS.

oeo
03-13-2007, 08:32 PM
I think he means Zumaya could not only close, but he'd be a lights out closer. And the Tigers can use him whenever they need it most, not necessarily in the ninth.

Bull****. For all this talk about his fastball, he overuses it. If he becomes the closer, he will struggle until he learns to use his offspeed stuff. Actually, mark my words, he will struggle this year.

itsnotrequired
03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Bull****. For all this talk about his fastball, he overuses it. If he becomes the closer, he will struggle until he learns to use his offspeed stuff. Actually, mark my words, he will struggle this year.

http://www.vmunix.com/mark/blog/wp-content/guitar_hero3.jpg

Oblong
03-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Zumaya was used perfectly last year. If he stays healthy and good and gets used as a traditional closer does in the modern day then it's a waste of talent. Last year when Leyland needed an out he brought in Zumaya whether it was the 6th or 9th. That's how you should use a guy with his stuff.

Top tier relievers should be used as Goose Gossage was used back in the day. None of this LaRussa contrived 9th inning with a 3 run lead or less garbage so that they can pile up save numbers. Save those for guys like Todd Jones who isn't a strikeout pitcher.

UserNameBlank
03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Zumaya was used perfectly last year. If he stays healthy and good and gets used as a traditional closer does in the modern day then it's a waste of talent. Last year when Leyland needed an out he brought in Zumaya whether it was the 6th or 9th. That's how you should use a guy with his stuff.

Top tier relievers should be used as Goose Gossage was used back in the day. None of this LaRussa contrived 9th inning with a 3 run lead or less garbage so that they can pile up save numbers. Save those for guys like Todd Jones who isn't a strikeout pitcher.

While I agree that in a perfect world you'd want your best reliever pitching in the tightest spot of the game, you also want a lights out bullpen. The Tigers IMO don't have that. Zumaya is the only arm in the pen who will put up All Star like numbers, whereas teams like Minnesota have solid relievers everywhere and that allows them to set roles in the pen.

In Detroit's case I think they are using Zumaya correctly, but if they had a couple more guys who were just as reliable they wouldn't have to rely upon him as they do. The thing about bringing in Zumaya in a tight situation in the 6th or 7th is that even if he gets the big outs, what happens when a tight situation pops up in the 9th? How much can you trust Jones?

ma-gaga
03-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Detroit has so many more options if Zumaya isn't "the closer". Once he's assigned that role, then they are suddenly locked into only using him in the ninth inning if they are ahead. Maybe they can bring him in an extra inning game, but only if they are at home.

As long as they can keep him away from that damn label, they can bring him in whenever they need him, and whatever the situation. I think that's the biggest weakness of the traditionalists/old school manager; the strict adherence of standard closer usage.

Will he flame out via Billy Koch? Maybe. But he's probably got at least 3-4 years of dominance first.

IndianWhiteSox
03-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Detroit has so many more options if Zumaya isn't "the closer". Once he's assigned that role, then they are suddenly locked into only using him in the ninth inning if they are ahead. Maybe they can bring him in an extra inning game, but only if they are at home.

As long as they can keep him away from that damn label, they can bring him in whenever they need him, and whatever the situation. I think that's the biggest weakness of the traditionalists/old school manager; the strict adherence of standard closer usage.

Will he flame out via Billy Koch? Maybe. But he's probably got at least 3-4 years of dominance first.

Billy Koch had a nervous system disorder which he obtained in Oakland that ruined his career. But back to the point the Tigers may also have Fernando Rodney as well, but the fact is, Phil Rogers is not to be taken seriously at all and the Sox have the best bullpen in baseball.

balke
03-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I was in and out of the country during Zumaya's run, and just recently saw him pitch for the first time. I thought he was going to break the catcher's hand.

I'm not crowning our bullpen anything yet until they produce. We had a horrible looking bullpen on paper in 05' and they all had magical seasons. If it can happen that way, it can happen the other. These fireballers might all have control problems. Should be a great pen though.