PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano taking spring training a little too serious?

JermaineDye05
03-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Saw some highlights from the game and it showed him doing his usual pointing to the sky which I found kind of odd, it's fine in a regular season game when it actually means something but I mean in spring training come on. Another thing I saw kind of odd, Zambrano hit a triple and was running as hard as he could so hard he fell on his face. You would think the Cubs would tell their ace to take it easy, it's only spring.

soxwon
03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
He didnt want Lou Lou to yell at him!!!
Loupy Lou runs a strict camp, all hustle.
And thats the reason the Cubs will fail, They will get tired of getting yelled at.
Then they get Lazy, then Soriano demands a trade.
Sosa returns to the cubs for Soriano.
Cubs finish 4th, No post season boo hoo

All that from Zambo hustling.

itsnotrequired
03-12-2007, 07:22 PM
CSN is replaying the game right now and Zambrano just took his tumble. Pretty funny.

WizardsofOzzie
03-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Zambrano takes everything too seriously...mainly himself

cws05champ
03-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Saw some highlights from the game and it showed him doing his usual pointing to the sky which I found kind of odd, it's fine in a regular season game when it actually means something but I mean in spring training come on. Another thing I saw kind of odd, Zambrano hit a triple and was running as hard as he could so hard he fell on his face. You would think the Cubs would tell their ace to take it easy, it's only spring.

He was dogging it to first and Lou called to him " Come on Ramirez leg it out"...needless to say he was insulted and ran as fast as he could!

JermaineDye05
03-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Here's a story from MLB.com about the fall. I find it interesting that Jim Hendry wants to applaud Zambano for "playing the game right" I think you have to draw the line somewhere when you're the ace of a team that doesn't have much pitching.

Let's applaud him for playing the game right, running every ball out. If he's not running the ground ball to short out hard, then he's not hustling. I'll take a guy any day on my club that you have to pull back the reins a little bit than somebody you have to jump start.I agree on this quote but not when it has to do with pitchers who could potentionally hurt themselves while batting and running the bases. It reminds me of the Buehrle situation with sliding on the tarp although it was all in good fun theres always the slight chance he could hurt himself so Kenny put a stop to that. I think this is just one example of how Kenny is a better GM then Hendry.

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070312&content_id=1840147&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp)

Bruizer
03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
If you watch the replay, he was coasting into second when he saw the ball get away from the outfielder. He suddenly started going full speed but his legs couldn't keep up with the rest of him. :cool:

What was even funnier was Barry Bonds losing pop flies twice in the sun in the first inning, covering his head and falling down! :rolleyes:

Bru

WhiteSox5187
03-13-2007, 12:57 AM
He's nuts. It's one thing to see a position player doing that and "playing the game right" but when your ace, the guy who you're pinning your playoff hopes on is doing that, it's stupid. Zambrano is going to hurt himself doing something stupid this year and the Cubs dreams are going to go down the tubes with him.

Grzegorz
03-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Spring training is a time to be serious; you're supposed to be getting prepared for the long season ahead.

Histrionics aside, Zambrano is one helluva pitcher.

JohnnyInnsbrook
03-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Heres the youtube link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diEmvLfxrqo

SBSoxFan
03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
At least he had the good sense to fall on his LEFT shoulder.

spawn
03-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. He's an emotional pitcher. It's not something you turn on and off just because it's spring training. As someone said...he's prepping for the season. He's treating ST as he would if he were a rookie trying to make the team. Maybe he was sending Aramis Ramirez a message...

cws05champ
03-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Would the quote from Hendry have been different if Zambrano had gotten injured on the play? Me thinks so!!! Because everyone rom the media to the fans would be saying...WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

PatK
03-13-2007, 08:27 AM
He's nuts. It's one thing to see a position player doing that and "playing the game right" but when your ace, the guy who you're pinning your playoff hopes on is doing that, it's stupid. Zambrano is going to hurt himself doing something stupid this year and the Cubs dreams are going to go down the tubes with him.

I've said he's either going to win the Cy Young or injure himself doing something utterly stupid this season.

soxfan13
03-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. He's an emotional pitcher. It's not something you turn on and off just becasue it's spring training. As someone said...he's prepping for the season. He's treating ST as he would if he were a rookie trying to make the team. Maybe he was sending Aramis Ramirez a message...

Agreed It is not something you can just turn on and off. Hate him for his antics but he plays the game hard all the time. I will go on record again saying I would love to see him on the south side next year.

AuroraSoxFan
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I really think the guy just doesn't know how to "scale back" or take it easy. Just who he is. If Lou is the blue collar skipper he is made out to be he should have every player on his team learn from that example. Hate to say it but if that entire team exerted that kind of effort they could be pretty solid.

pmck003
03-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I can't stand his antics but you can't fault a guy for playing (or practicing) like its a real game. Can't say that I would dislike his gestures if they were in a Sox uni...

jdm2662
03-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I really don't see why is it such a crime to play hard every game. Say what you want about his antics, but you can never fault a guy giving his all no matter that the situation is.

skottyj242
03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
The guy just is a competitor, plain and simple.

JermaineDye05
03-13-2007, 03:45 PM
I really don't see why is it such a crime to play hard every game. Say what you want about his antics, but you can never fault a guy giving his all no matter that the situation is.

Which is true but I'd rather him give it his all on the mound rather then risk hurting himself on the basepaths.

bigfoot
03-13-2007, 03:56 PM
If this was Garland, Jose', MB or Javy(no snickerin'), Jenks, et al , instead of a blue 'possom, and an injury occurred, what would this thread look like?!?!

Me thinks there would be a lot of screamin' and hand wringin'.

Surely Hendrey, Lou and others had a heartbeat-skipping moment.

PennStater98r
03-14-2007, 09:21 AM
If you watch the replay, he was coasting into second when he saw the ball get away from the outfielder. He suddenly started going full speed but his legs couldn't keep up with the rest of him. :cool:

What was even funnier was Barry Bonds losing pop flies twice in the sun in the first inning, covering his head and falling down! :rolleyes:

Bru

Evidence that the National League is no better than a beer softball league x3.

soxfan13
03-14-2007, 09:50 AM

Forgot to mention that softball league is home of the World Champions

skottyj242
03-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Didn't the National League win the World Series last year?

IndianWhiteSox
03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Didn't the National League win the World Series last year?

Because the Tigers forgot how to throw the ball to 1st base.

soxfan13
03-14-2007, 12:22 PM

Yes and the Cards took advantage of their breaks. No matter what you say the World Champs are in the National League. You are using the same arguement that people where saying about the White Sox when we won in 2005. Everyone kept saying we were lucky and didnt deserve it.

spawn
03-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Yes and the Cards took advantage of their breaks. No matter what you say the World Champs are in the National League. You are using the same arguement that people where saying about the White Sox when we won in 2005. Everyone kept saying we were lucky and didnt deserve it.
Exactly...we were lucky, we cheated (AJ being called safe in game 2 of the ALCS). Last season with the Cards was no different. The Cards got a few breaks, and like a good team they took advantage of them.

IndianWhiteSox
03-14-2007, 01:05 PM

Ok, but there's a big difference between a team which wins 99 games, goes wire to wire, throws 4CGs in a post-season series and goes 11-1 in the post-season. Thus accomplishing feats that compare them with the '56 Yankees(4 Complete Games in a row in a post-season series) and the '27 Yankees(Wire to wire), and a team (2006 Cardinals) which had no business being in the post-season let alone win the whole damn thing.

But I should still give them their due I guess.
:rolleyes:

soxfan13
03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Ok, but there's a big difference between a team which wins 99 games, goes wire to wire, throws 4CGs in a post-season series and goes 11-1 in the post-season. Thus accomplishing feats that compare them with the '56 Yankees(4 Complete Games in a row in a post-season series) and the '27 Yankees(Wire to wire), and a team (2006 Cardinals) which had no business being in the post-season let alone win the whole damn thing.

But I should still give them their due I guess.
:rolleyes:

Doesnt matter how you get there. They took care of business when they had to. Honestly what they did was very impressive (probably more then the Sox) with the pitching in shambles and other injuries incured. In 2005 everyone that is not a White Sox fan said they got lucky/cheated in the playoffs and didnt deserve the World Series. All I am saying is if you didnt like them saying that about the Sox dont turn around and do it with other teams.

IndianWhiteSox
03-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Doesnt matter how you get there. They took care of business when they had to. Honestly what they did was very impressive (probably more then the Sox) with the pitching in shambles and other injuries incured. In 2005 everyone that is not a White Sox fan said they got lucky/cheated in the playoffs and didnt deserve the World Series. All I am saying is if you didnt like them saying that about the Sox dont turn around and do it with other teams.

That's fine, because all I'm saying is that there's more validity to what people say about the 2006 cardinals over the 2005 SOX.

Iwritecode
03-14-2007, 02:05 PM

They also forgot how to hit. They managed a team batting average of .199 over the five games.