PDA

View Full Version : Way to make Jenks better?

ondafarm
03-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Taken from link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070311&content_id=1838739&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Pain in the neck: During his collegiate days as quarterback at the University of Michigan, Clayton Richard was known as a skilled runner who could avoid the sack during his very limited playing time. But the current Minor League hurler in the White Sox organization probably never faced a rush as fearsome as the one he almost encountered Sunday morning.
While closer Bobby Jenks was warming up in the bullpen to work one inning in the "B" game at the Kino Sports Complex, an errant throw from Richard struck Jenks in the neck. Jenks moved toward Richard, but according to Cooper, Great Falls pitching coach Curt Hasler quickly got Jenks to stay back to make sure he was OK.
"The kid is lucky that Bobby ... wanted to get him," Cooper said. "When you get hit with a ball, your initial reaction is that you get [upset]."

"Stuff happens. He just lost control of it and I was the recipient, right in the neck, just to the right of [the Adam's apple]," Jenks added. "I got [upset]. It didn't hit the jugular, so it was fine. Just muscle, or whatever you call it, tissue in there."
Jenks received treatment for a little soreness and stiffness in the neck but bounced back quickly to strike out three over 1 1/3 scoreless innings, throwing 23 pitches. The burly right-hander breezed through the first three hitters, and two extra hitters were sent to hit in the same inning to get up his pitch count.
Strangely enough, the accident involving Jenks' neck might have helped his effort. "It made me stay on the ball longer," said Jenks, who hit 92 mph with his fastball and will next pitch Wednesday. "I felt great out there."

((Sorry, no long quote form available.))

Not sure if I'd advise it though.

jabrch
03-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Strangely enough, the accident involving Jenks' neck might have helped his effort. "It made me stay on the ball longer," said Jenks, who hit 92 mph with his fastball and will next pitch Wednesday. "I felt great out there."

92? Sounds like his off speed stuff.

MetroPD
03-12-2007, 06:09 PM
92? Sounds like his off speed stuff.

I was thinking the same thing, I think Jenks best days as a purely power pitcher is behind him. He's going to need to work on accuracy, movement, and variety or it'll be the swan song for him.

jabrch
03-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing, I think Jenks best days as a purely power pitcher is behind him. He's going to need to work on accuracy, movement, and variety or it'll be the swan song for him.

I highly doubt his days as a power pitcher are behind him. I imagine there is more to it than just that. There's no reason he should be throwing 8 mph slower than last year unless he's just not opening it up 100% yet this spring.

JB98
03-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Baloney. His velocity was down last spring too. Once he got his arm into shape, it came back.

It's not like the man is 35 years old. I think you've been reading too much Cubune lately.

IlliniSox4Life
03-12-2007, 06:31 PM

For the last time everyone, power pitchers have to build up their speed in spring training. The exact same thing happened last year, and has happened every year for quite some time. All of our high speed guys are below what they will eventually reach into the regular season.

goon
03-12-2007, 07:19 PM
I don't think I elaborate on the power pitchers in Spring comment, seems like a few have done it already.

I wonder how embarrassed that kid is. Hawk and DJ brought this story up during the Sunday broadcast, but they didn't give a ton of detail, I'm glad to hear Bobby is doing well and continuing to play well this ST. As for Clayton Richard.... buy a helmet ASAP.

redsand22
03-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I highly doubt his days as a power pitcher are behind him. I imagine there is more to it than just that. There's no reason he should be throwing 8 mph slower than last year unless he's just not opening it up 100% yet this spring.
It is still spring training, I doubt he's throwing his hardest stuff yet, esp with the soreness in the first game or two.

MetroPD
03-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Baloney. His velocity was down last spring too. Once he got his arm into shape, it came back.

It's not like the man is 35 years old. I think you've been reading too much Cubune lately.

His velocity was down at the end of last year as well, initial reports of soreness in the shoulder. He doesn't have to be 35 the guys arm is held together with screws. I still think he needs to expand his repetoire of pitches beyond the heat and the curve or like I said his days are numbered.

JB98
03-12-2007, 11:27 PM
His velocity was down at the end of last year as well, initial reports of soreness in the shoulder. He doesn't have to be 35 the guys arm is held together with screws. I still think he needs to expand his repetoire of pitches beyond the heat and the curve or like I said his days are numbered.

Bobby had a hip injury at the end of last season. That's why his velocity dropped, and that's why he did all the extra conditioning this offseason. If you don't have strength in your legs, you simply can't throw 98 mph. That's what happened to Bobby down the stretch of 2006.

He's going to be fine. Stop reading the Cubune.

WhiteSox5187
03-13-2007, 12:50 AM
This is nothing. Last outting his stuff was in the high eighties, it takes awhile to get the velocity to where it should be. Bobby will get there and he'll be just fine. You want him throwing full speed by about the last week of March.

itsnotrequired
03-13-2007, 05:50 AM
This is nothing. Last outting his stuff was in the high eighties, it takes awhile to get the velocity to where it should be. Bobby will get there and he'll be just fine. You want him throwing full speed by about the last week of March.

I don't even think Jenks was up to full speed at the end of March last season. IIRC, it was a couple weeks into April before he started hitting 98 on a consistant basis.

soxfanatlanta
03-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Bobby had a hip injury at the end of last season. That's why his velocity dropped, and that's why he did all the extra conditioning this offseason. If you don't have strength in your legs, you simply can't throw 98 mph. That's what happened to Bobby down the stretch of 2006.

He's also lost weight (25 lbs), so the wear on his body should be less. Provided he stays healthy, he's going to light up the radar in October.

Jurr
03-13-2007, 07:47 AM
I just got a chuckle out of the mental picture of Jenks stretching out his rotator cuff in the bullpen, then having Cave crowhop a 75mph'er off his neck before each appearance.

Frontman
03-13-2007, 08:03 AM
He's also lost weight (25 lbs), so the wear on his body should be less. Provided he stays healthy, he's going to light up the radar in October.

And even though he lost the weight, it will take time for Bobby to get used to it. Mechanics in pitching is all about using your full body. Jenk's body probably feels different to him (granted, a man that big dropping twenty pounds is probably like the average person losing ten, but you understand my point.)

I just wouldn't want to be the guy picked to have to bean him every game to wake the sleeping giant.

Front

jabrch
03-13-2007, 08:48 AM

His velocity was not 90 last year at any time. Late in the year he was still able to hit triple digits on the gun.

VenturaIsAGod
03-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Bobby Jenks = Keith Foulke - Changeup. Seriously, if anyone thinks Bobby's no longer a power pitcher, do you really think he'd even be in our camp? Ozzie wouldn't have him penciled in as the closer if he didn't have the main thing that made him effective in the past, that thing obviously being his heater.

Frontman
03-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Bobby Jenks = Keith Foulke - Changeup. Seriously, if anyone thinks Bobby's no longer a power pitcher, do you really think he'd even be in our camp? Ozzie wouldn't have him penciled in as the closer if he didn't have the main thing that made him effective in the past, that thing obviously being his heater.

AAAAAAAAAaaaah! My eyes!

:tealpolice: :tealtutor:

:wink:

Don't worry, it took me over 100 posts until I finally figured out that the name of the color highlights if you keep your cursor over it long enough.

Front

ondafarm
03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
:tealtutor:

Don't worry, it took me over 100 posts until I finally figured out that the name of the color highlights if you keep your cursor over it long enough.

What are you saying?

VenturaIsAGod
03-13-2007, 07:13 PM
AAAAAAAAAaaaah! My eyes!

:tealtutor:

Front

My apologies. I make this mistake about 50% of the time, I should probably cut that to around 0%.

Stoky44
03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
To me last year it didn't seem that Jenks hit 100 as much as he did in 05. Maybe there was all the hype about him hitting a 100 in 05, but in actuality he actually was throwing more 95-98 often with his fastballs. But I remember on Fox that stupid flame and sound came up on the speed pitch everytime he threw 100.

As I think back to last year I can't remember Jenks hitting 100 or 101. I basically only remember like 98 as his top speed, and more consistently 95-96ish. Still a flame thrower in my eyes though. But there is something about hitting triple digits that seems much better, like 100 is a totally different level that 98. But I guess we have the same view of a .300 hitter versus a .298 hitter; hitting .300 just sounds like a much better season than .298 even though it probably a difference of 2-3 hits.

I am not stating this as fact, but just what I can remember. I could be totally wrong, if so please correct me.

MetroPD
03-16-2007, 12:42 AM

He's going to be fine. Stop reading the Cubune.

Why do you keep alluding to the "Cubune" as you call it? My opinion is that Jenks' arm will not last, you do not share that same opinion, does that really justify your irrationality of assuming myself of reading the Chicago Tribune and drinking the blue Kool-Aid? I live in Las Vegas.

Ozzie also had Shingo Takatsu as closer as well remember?

His velocity was not 90 last year at any time. Late in the year he was still able to hit triple digits on the gun.

I don't recall him hitting triple digits at all last year.

THe bottom line is I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have much faith in a mechanicaly constructed arm lasting.

jabrch
03-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Ozzie also had Shingo Takatsu as closer as well remember?

And he never counted on Shingo's fastball.

I don't recall him hitting triple digits at all last year.

He did. Living in Vegas you don't see the radar gun on him much. But Bobby had no problem throwing 98+

THe bottom line is I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have much faith in a mechanicaly constructed arm lasting.

I have no idea what you mean by mechanicaly constructed arm. Can you clarify?

jabrch
03-16-2007, 09:01 AM
To me last year it didn't seem that Jenks hit 100 as much as he did in 05. Maybe there was all the hype about him hitting a 100 in 05, but in actuality he actually was throwing more 95-98 often with his fastballs. But I remember on Fox that stupid flame and sound came up on the speed pitch everytime he threw 100.

As I think back to last year I can't remember Jenks hitting 100 or 101. I basically only remember like 98 as his top speed, and more consistently 95-96ish. Still a flame thrower in my eyes though. But there is something about hitting triple digits that seems much better, like 100 is a totally different level that 98. But I guess we have the same view of a .300 hitter versus a .298 hitter; hitting .300 just sounds like a much better season than .298 even though it probably a difference of 2-3 hits.

I am not stating this as fact, but just what I can remember. I could be totally wrong, if so please correct me.

My seats are around the corner from the radar reading. He was consistently able to get it up between 98 and 100. Like you said - no difference. Either way, Bobby's fastball wasn't anywhere close to the list of this team's problems.

SBSoxFan
03-16-2007, 09:02 AM

Jenks has a pin in his elbow. But I think MetroPD is exaggerating!

MetroPD
03-16-2007, 06:27 PM
And he never counted on Shingo's fastball.
Point being relying on one pitch is never a good thing.

He did. Living in Vegas you don't see the radar gun on him much. But Bobby had no problem throwing 98+
Granted.

When he was in the Angels organization he had surgery placing a screw in his elbow in 2004.

I may be exaggerating and I hope I'm wrong. I'll gladly admit to it, I'm just expressing my concerns which may be unfounded.

jabrch
03-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Point being relying on one pitch is never a good thing.

Who relies on one pitch? Jenks has a couple of things he throws for strikes.

When he was in the Angels organization he had surgery placing a screw in his elbow in 2004.

Loads of guys have that - he's long recovered from that. I think "mechanicaly constructed arm" is a bit off.

Frontman
03-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Loads of guys have that - he's long recovered from that. I think "mechanicaly constructed arm" is a bit off.

So was Jenks' control today. Whoa, he was bad.

jabrch
03-16-2007, 07:23 PM
So was Jenks' control today. Whoa, he was bad.

No kidding - he looked awful today.

MetroPD
03-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Who relies on one pitch? Jenks has a couple of things he throws for strikes.

Ok fine I acquiesce, Bobby Jenks is a God and there is no reason for concern........:rolleyes: