PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie, "I own Chicago... Lou doesn't own (anything) yet"

The Racehorse
03-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I searched around and didn't see this posted anywhere.

Upon further review, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen isn't ready to accept second billing to new Cubs manager Lou Piniella in Chicago.

"I own Chicago," Guillen reminded the Chicago Tribune. "Lou doesn't own (anything) yet."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/jeffgordon/story/138F7D047ED29F458625729C0012CFF0?OpenDocument

itsnotrequired
03-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Excellent, more fuel for the media fire.

oeo
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM

What are they going to say?

Lou hasn't done anything in Chicago, besides annoy the hell out of me.

soxfanatlanta
03-12-2007, 12:31 PM

At least he said something nice about Dusty Baker, right? Of course that will be used against him, too.

itsnotrequired
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
What are they going to say?

Lou hasn't done anything in Chicago, besides annoy the hell out of me.

Doesn't matter. There will be a stink about this, unwarranted or otherwise.

voodoochile
03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Starting to wonder if Ozzie has Tourette's Syndrome.

That's our Ozzie...

TomBradley72
03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Geez...now Ozzie seems to be proactively looking to cause controversy. He's kidding himself if he thinks he "owns Chicago"..he might own the half that loves the White Sox..but that's about it.

Any manager who decided it was best to play Mack in CF about 20-30 games in 2006 doesn't deserve to own anything.:cool:

SBSoxFan
03-12-2007, 12:46 PM
So, why is this picked up by a sports columnist from St. Louis? Shouldn't he be in FLORIDA?

Anyway, seemed like a reasonable answer to me. Reasonable for Ozzie anyway!

voodoochile
03-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Geez...now Ozzie seems to be proactively looking to cause controversy. He's kidding himself if he thinks he "owns Chicago"..he might own the half that loves the White Sox..but that's about it.

Any manager who decided it was best to play Mack in CF about 20-30 games in 2006 doesn't deserve to own anything.:cool:

Ditka started Flutie in the playoffs and it didn't seem to prevent him from owning Chicago...

Was the WS win THAT long ago? :dunno:

oeo
03-12-2007, 12:50 PM

He's not literally saying he owns Chicago, he's merely making a point that Piniella hasn't done anything. Because of that, he shouldn't be getting all the press he's getting because he doesn't deserve it. The second paragraph gives this away when he talks about Piniella being in the conversation of most famous in Chicago. He hasn't done anything in Chicago, and until he does, he shouldn't get attention like that.

voodoochile
03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
He's not literally saying he owns Chicago, he's merely making a point that Piniella hasn't done anything. Because of that, he shouldn't be getting all the press he's getting because he doesn't deserve it. The second paragraph gives this away when he talks about Piniella being in the conversation of most famous in Chicago. He hasn't done anything in Chicago, and until he does, he shouldn't get attention like that.

Don't kid yourself. Flubbie fans probably loved him before he became their coach because of the 2000 playoffs. He certainly owned Chicago that month.

Or should it be spelled pwned...

CLR01
03-12-2007, 01:04 PM
He's not literally saying he owns Chicago

I don't know, Ozzie may very well think he does own Chicago.

CLR01
03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Ditka started Flutie in the playoffs and it didn't seem to prevent him from owning Chicago...

2005. Time to quit living in the past. If he wants to continue to be the man in Chicago he needs to do better than a third place finish.

itsnotrequired
03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't know, Ozzie may very well think he does own Chicago.

I hear he is gobbling up Chicago real estate at a Sam Zell-esque pace.

soxfan13
03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
So, why is this picked up by a sports columnist from St. Louis? Shouldn't he be in FLORIDA?

Anyway, seemed like a reasonable answer to me. Reasonable for Ozzie anyway!

Why should he be from florida?

itsnotrequired
03-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Spring Break!

TomBradley72
03-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Just about the entire city follows the Bears....the Cubs/Sox split is around 50/50...this whole thing is no big deal...but any time anyone self-proclaims "I own..." it rubs me the wrong way. Piniella is one of the biggest names among managers so the media attention is expected. I think he's headed to the Cubs manager "boneyard" along with Baker, Baylor, Zimmer, Frey, Durocher and all the others that thought they could be "the guy" who wins with the Cubs.

CLR01
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I hear he is gobbling up Chicago real estate at a Sam Zell-esque pace.

Soon Chicago will be run by Wirtz and Ozzie. What a ride that'll be.

itsnotrequired
03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Soon Chicago will be run by Wirtz and Ozzie. What a ride that'll be.

We'll pound down Wirtz's booze in Ozzie's bar and then attempt to watch a blacked-out Blackhawks game at Ozzie's electronics store.

What a time to be alive...

SBSoxFan
03-12-2007, 01:21 PM

He should be in Florida, covering the Cardinals, not worrying about what the manager for a team in another league has to say.

soxfan13
03-12-2007, 01:29 PM
He should be in Florida, covering the Cardinals, not worrying about what the manager for a team in another league has to say.

Or maybe he is not that paper's team reporter? So he is exactly where he should be in St. Louis writing his daily Telander type column:wink:

SBSoxFan
03-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Or maybe he is not that paper's team reporter? So he is exactly where he should be in St. Louis writing his daily Telander type column:wink:

I suppose not. Still, you'd think he'd find some angle to get to spring training. I'd rather be filing stories from Florida instead of St. Louis. :smile:

soxfan13
03-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I suppose not. Still, you'd think he'd find some angle to get to spring training. I'd rather be filing stories from Florida instead of St. Louis. :smile:

Im just bored as hell looking for something:gulp:

gobears1987
03-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Don't kid yourself. Flubbie fans probably loved him before he became their coach because of the 2000 playoffs. He certainly owned Chicago that month.

Or should it be spelled pwned...Did he PWN us that month or did we PWN ourselves? I'm going with the latter.

goon
03-12-2007, 02:31 PM
2005. Time to quit living in the past. If he wants to continue to be the man in Chicago he needs to do better than a third place finish.

What's longer 2 years or 88?

You can't win the world series every year, so I hope we can appreciate our 2005 Championship a little more.

SBSoxFan
03-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Im just bored as hell looking for something:gulp:

Filled out your brackets already?

CLR01
03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
What's longer 2 years or 88?

You can't win the world series every year, so I hope we can appreciate our 2005 Championship a little more.

Who said they didn't appreciate 2005? Still it doesn't buy Ozzie or KW a free pass for the rest of their careers. How long does the honeymoon last?

spiffie
03-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Who said they didn't appreciate 2005? Still it doesn't buy Ozzie or KW a free pass for the rest of their careers. How long does the honeymoon last?
I'm going to agree with PHG's sentiments on this one:

This is pretty much my sentiment, too. Williams has street cred like no Chicago baseball GM ever has in my entire lifetime -- or for that matter my father's lifetime and he just turned 82.

Williams has a free pass. He's innocent until proven guilty.

jabrch
03-12-2007, 06:16 PM

I don't know about you CLR, but I haven't yet forgotten the joy from October 2005. Until I forget how great that was, Kenny will get credit in my eyes for making it happen.

Kenny would have to do something that is clearly and without arguement, STUPID in order for me to feel he is to blame. None of the moves he made this offseason would be close to that criteria.

santo=dorf
03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
...and Piniella is going to put Soriano in for about 130 games in CF this year.

jenn2080
03-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie...Shut up already.

CLR01
03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't know about you CLR, but I haven't yet forgotten the joy from October 2005. Until I forget how great that was, Kenny will get credit in my eyes for making it happen.

Kenny would have to do something that is clearly and without arguement, STUPID in order for me to feel he is to blame. None of the moves he made this offseason would be close to that criteria.

So do I and I would like to feel that joy again sometime soon. That's why I believe when they do something that doesn't make much sense or that is just down right stupid (like play Mack in center) they need to be called out on it. IMO, if Ozzie is running around with a big head thinking he owns the city he needs to be brought back down to earth. 2005 is over, it is now 2007.

I have no problems with anything KW has done recently just throwing his name out there as not getting a free pass from me because of 2005. If he trades Dye, Konerko and Tome for a box of Lucky Charms then we have problems. :smile:

"They're magically delicious"
:KW

WhiteSoxFan84
03-13-2007, 02:09 PM
He probably said this with a smile and laughed through it, but of course that won't be mentioned.

jabrch
03-13-2007, 02:38 PM
If he trades Dye, Konerko and Tome for a box of Lucky Charms then we have problems. :smile:

WHO?

Obviously I agree with that point. But he hasn't come anywhere near that yet. If the calls are questionable, I'm willing to give him a lot of rope, and the benefit of the doubt.

PennStater98r
03-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Oh Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie...Shut up already.

Though most of the time, when Ozzie runs his mouth off - it just pisses me off, but with this one - I have to say - why should he shut up.

The media has been treating Lou like he's going to be crusified for our sins and give Chicago sports fans grace - when in reality - in Lou's career, the ONLY things he's ever done is win a World Series with a team that Pete Rose built, dominate the AL West with a team that had four to five potential Hall of Fame caliber players come through in their prime (A-Rod, Unit, 'gar, Junior, Ichiro) but choke in the post season year after year - get full of himself and think he could polish a turd into a Floridian diamond to be displayed in Tampa - and then quit early because sports fans were starting to catch on that Lou's really not all that.

Ozzie is completely warranted in saying what he said. Lou deserves no credibility yet - he's not earned ****.

Soxfanspcu11
03-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't see what the problem with this comment is, it's not a big deal at all.

Ozzie brought a World Series Championship to Chicago for the first time in 88 years.

Lou has done what for Chicago??

I mean, aside from wearing a hat that is 4 sizes to small for his head, I'm not sure he has done anything.

jenn2080
03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Though most of the time, when Ozzie runs his mouth off - it just pisses me off, but with this one - I have to say - why should he shut up.

The media has been treating Lou like he's going to be crusified for our sins and give Chicago sports fans grace - when in reality - in Lou's career, the ONLY things he's ever done is win a World Series with a team that Pete Rose built, dominate the AL West with a team that had four to five potential Hall of Fame caliber players come through in their prime (A-Rod, Unit, 'gar, Junior, Ichiro) but choke in the post season year after year - get full of himself and think he could polish a turd into a Floridian diamond to be displayed in Tampa - and then quit early because sports fans were starting to catch on that Lou's really not all that.

Ozzie is completely warranted in saying what he said. Lou deserves no credibility yet - he's not earned ****.

Very very true valid points made.

IndianWhiteSox
03-15-2007, 06:06 AM

Ozzie brought a World Series Championship to Chicago for the first time in 88 years.

I mean, aside from wearing a hat that is 4 sizes to small for his head, I'm not sure he has done anything.

Thank you, I can't believe Ozzie gets flack for even things like this.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-15-2007, 07:22 AM

Like a previous poster said, there probably was a laugh and a thigh slap, but those weren't reported.

If Lou would just bend his damn brim a little, he wouldn't remind me so much of a LL coach with the black sock/sandal look.

HotelWhiteSox
03-16-2007, 09:50 PM

Agreed 100%. Though our WS winning Manager/GM combo have already gotten more scrutiny this offseason than Lou will probably get all year.

hose
03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Ozzie doesn't own Chicago he has a variable rate loan with a balloon payment due.

chitownhawkfan
03-16-2007, 10:58 PM
This is on a slight tangent, but I don't care what Ozzie says. As long as he isn't denying the holocaust or using deregatory words for homosexuals. I like the fact that when he thinks something it comes out. Political corectness leads to nothing but bland filler. Why do people care if he bad mouths other people who have it coming, it doesn't offend me and I'm pretty sure it doesn't offend the vast majority of Sox fans. As long as the Sox win and people still show up to the games who cares.

Beer Can Chicken
03-17-2007, 12:03 AM
If anyone from the northside of town said the same thing, they would be skewered by everyone here.
I don't like anyone on my team talking smack.

HotelWhiteSox
03-17-2007, 12:59 AM
If anyone from the northside of town said the same thing, they would be skewered by everyone here.
I don't like anyone on my team talking smack.

Maybe because if anyone from the Cubs said something like that it'd be the dumbest statement ever. 100 woo years woo