PDA

View Full Version : is the AL Central the weakest division in 2002?

cheeses_h_rice
03-18-2002, 02:47 PM
So, what do you think? We can all probably agree that KC and Detroit will be pretty bad this year, and that the Sox, Indians and Twins won't exactly be blowing away the competition.

The only other division I can think of that may be this weak would be the NL East; and even there, the Braves, Mets and Marlins should be decent. The AL East is overall pretty weak, but there is the obvious 900 lb. gorilla in the Yanks, and the Red Sox might be pretty good.

The best division, IMO, will be the AL West. The Rangers will almost certainly be much improved this year, and the Angels seem to want to compete, too.

Bmr31
03-18-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
So, what do you think? We can all probably agree that KC and Detroit will be pretty bad this year, and that the Sox, Indians and Twins won't exactly be blowing away the competition.

The only other division I can think of that may be this weak would be the NL East; and even there, the Braves, Mets and Marlins should be decent. The AL East is overall pretty weak, but there is the obvious 900 lb. gorilla in the Yanks, and the Red Sox might be pretty good.

The best division, IMO, will be the AL West. The Rangers will almost certainly be much improved this year, and the Angels seem to want to compete, too.

yeah cheeses i think its teh weakest division. Less than 90 wins could still be enough. How sad is that?

baggio202
03-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

yeah cheeses i think its teh weakest division. Less than 90 wins could still be enough. How sad is that?

well..if the sox were in the east..id pick them 3rd..battling with toronto for that spot...if they were in the west i seriously think we would be picked to finish 5th...behind the angels and rangers..who have improved their teams alot...id say we are the 7th best team in the AL and are almost a lock to win the division....so how weak is our division...weaker than its ever been

Soxboyrob
03-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

The Twins pitching ought to be good enough to get them to at least .500. They will go as far as their hitting takes them this season. After watching our team win 94 games in 1990, I think this Twins team could do similarly if all things go their way. They hustle, they pitch and and they're scrappy. The Indians could also be a bit underrated. They have a decent enough pitching staff and enough hitting to still win some games. It's silly to think we can just walk away w/ the division crown.

duke of dorwood
03-18-2002, 03:05 PM
It'll be official when we are anointed by the great Chris Berman as the A.L. Norris Div.

czalgosz
03-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

well..if the sox were in the east..id pick them 3rd..battling with toronto for that spot...if they were in the west i seriously think we would be picked to finish 5th...behind the angels and rangers..who have improved their teams alot...id say we are the 7th best team in the AL and are almost a lock to win the division....so how weak is our division...weaker than its ever been

There's no way the Sox would be anywhere close to first in any division but the AL central. I'd rank them this way in the AL -

1. New York
2. Oakland
3. Seattle
4. Boston
5. Chicago
6. Texas
7. Anaheim
8. Toronto
9. Minnesota
10. Cleveland
11. Kansas City
12. Detroit
13. Tampa Bay
14. Baltimore

3-9 are all real close, though, and an injury or two could send those rankings all to hell.

baggio202
03-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

There's no way the Sox would be anywhere close to first in any division but the AL central. I'd rank them this way in the AL -

1. New York
2. Oakland
3. Seattle
4. Boston
5. Chicago
6. Texas
7. Anaheim
8. Toronto
9. Minnesota
10. Cleveland
11. Kansas City
12. Detroit
13. Tampa Bay
14. Baltimore

3-9 are all real close, though, and an injury or two could send those rankings all to hell.

i rank us 7 but i agree with what you said...3-9 are very close..an injury here or there and you could move up or drop down quite a bit

cheeses_h_rice
03-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Actually, it's more common than you might think. I went back and looked at the finishing stats since 1996, and here are the teams that won their divisions with fewer than 90 Ws:

2001:
Braves (88)

2000:
Yanks (87)

1998:
Cleve (89)
Tex (88)

1997:
Cleve (86)
Hou (84)

1996:
St. L (88)

Looks like the 2 Central divisions have been the weakest, overall.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-18-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

1. New York
2. Oakland
3. Seattle
4. Boston
5. Chicago
6. Texas
7. Anaheim
8. Toronto
9. Minnesota
10. Cleveland
11. Kansas City
12. Detroit
13. Tampa Bay
14. Baltimore

Thanks, Cz. I know one hyperactive little motivator who is going to post your comments inside his clubhouse. :smile:

:garner
"Hello again, ********s! You've never treated my teams with any respect. We're going to pitch inside, and jam, jam, jam, jam your guys into submission. If my boy, Jeffie, gets a bit wild, you know my guys are right on the stop step waiting for action!

"Don't forget---we've got Bill Simas now, too."

czalgosz
03-18-2002, 03:41 PM
The main thing that bothers me about the AL Central being so weak is that it's setting up expectations that IMO the Sox just won't reach. For all intents and purposes, this year should be a rebuilding year. The Sox should be holding on to their young players, getting rid of veterans, and building for 2003. Instead, the Sox are right on the brink of contention right now, and that's dangerous. That leads to ill-advised, short-sighted moves that will hurt the team in the long run.

Jerry_Manuel
03-18-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

And Veeck's kid!

RedPinStripes
03-18-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Thanks, Cz. I know one hyperactive little motivator who is going to post your comments inside his clubhouse. :smile:

"Hello again, ********s! You've never treated my teams with any respect. We're going to pitch inside, and jam, jam, jam, jam your guys into submission. If my boy, Jeffie, gets a bit wild, you know my guys are right on the stop step waiting for action!

I'm just waiting for anotehr brawl with them *******s. I'd love to see the Sox make them bleed. Who wouldn't like to see Garner doing an interview with a cut on his nose, 2 black eyes, and swolen cheeks? Call me cruel, but he needs a broken nose. And I'll drink to that :gulp:

Mathew
03-19-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I'm just waiting for anotehr brawl with them *******s. I'd love to see the Sox make them bleed. Who wouldn't like to see Garner doing an interview with a cut on his nose, 2 black eyes, and swolen cheeks? Call me cruel, but he needs a broken nose. And I'll drink to that :gulp:

:gulp: Cheers!

bc2k
03-19-2002, 01:43 AM
Does anyone have a tape of that game? I have the espn highlights from the game, but I would really like to watch the entire game again.

RedPinStripes
03-19-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Does anyone have a tape of that game? I have the espn highlights from the game, but I would really like to watch the entire game again.

I don't know of anyone, but i have a good enough memory to have a good reason to hate the tigers. Mainly garner because the Sox faught with garner's Brewers in the mid 90's and he's always talking crap about the Sox because he can't beat them.