PDA

View Full Version : John Danks' chances at the 5th spot.

JermaineDye05
03-09-2007, 06:49 PM
So what do you think his chances are? So far he's had some pretty solid outings pitching a scoreless inning against the Cubs striking out one, and pitching 3 scoreless innings today giving up just 2 hits and 2 double plays.

jabrch
03-09-2007, 07:32 PM
So what do you think his chances are? So far he's had some pretty solid outings pitching a scoreless inning against the Cubs striking out one, and pitching 3 scoreless innings today giving up just 2 hits and 2 double plays.

Floyd would have to fail first.

JohnTucker0814
03-09-2007, 07:36 PM

I think giving up 6 runs his last outing (only 2 er) is failing.. if he keeps that up, he is well on his way to failing...

don't get me wrong, I don't want Floyd to fail, but at some point Floyd, Haeger & Danks have to be judged with the same opportunity. None of the 3 have past experience that should start them out as the favorite. If we had a guy like McCarthy in the race for this job, then I can see why there would be a favorite and a guy like Danks would have to be stellar to win the job...

jabrch
03-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I think giving up 6 runs his last outing (only 2 er) is failing.. if he keeps that up, he is well on his way to failing...

If I had a nickle for everyone who ever had a bad ST outing...

drftnaway
03-09-2007, 07:52 PM
If I had a nickle for everyone who ever had a bad ST outing...

So, what would you have? $70 - $80 bucks? :smile:

Hitmen77
03-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Are our big name starters doing much better than Floyd at this point? :dunno: Seems to me that Garland and Vazquez aren't looking too impressive yet either. It's too early to say Floyd is failing. If we're going to do that, then we should also be worrying about how the rest of our starters are doing.

That being said, I am glad that we have other options available (Danks, Haegar) if Floyd ends up looking bad troughout spring training.

santo=dorf
03-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Screw Floyd. Go Danks.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/uploads/post-1237-1173489845.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_the_Giant_Has_a_Posse

Hitmen77
03-10-2007, 12:16 AM
New Trib article on Danks making a run for the 5th spot:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070309soxbits,1,7344944.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

California Sox
03-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I'd be wary of penciling Danks in just yet. He's 21 and has had half a year in AAA. I say, let him throw 2 months in Charlotte and if he's dominant there, bring him up.

I'm afraid they're going to bring him North as a third lefthander in the 'pen. That would be a huge mistake IMHO.

That said, I'm happy he's doing well. I wasn't that high on the acquisition and I may have to eat some major crow.

ondafarm
03-10-2007, 01:02 AM
I like Danks and I think he will be a real contributer in 2008 and several years after that. But this year, unless he fails miserably and no his last outing was not a failure, Floyd will be the man.

Danks needs a year, or at least most of one at AAA.

ondafarm
03-10-2007, 01:03 AM
New Trib article on Danks making a run for the 5th spot:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070309soxbits,1,7344944.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

I value the Tribune and the National Enquirer equally.

SBSoxFan
03-10-2007, 07:25 AM

To be fair, the article was in conjunction with Danks throwing 3 scoreless innings in relief of Garland against Arizona on Friday. On the other hand, they wrote an article Thursday titled "Leaderless Race for 5th Starter". :rolleyes:

Funny how 1 SP performance tends to be so persuasive (to the trib anyway).

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-10-2007, 08:11 AM

I was going to teal this, and give the "Fixed it for you" statement.....but after reading it, I realize that no fix is needed. :D:

Apologies for not picking up on it the first time!!

mantis1212
03-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I hope they don't just give it to Floyd to justify the Freddy trade. I believe Floyd has at least on option left to go to the minors, but I could be wrong.

I think this is another step in the direction of proving the McCarthy trade = good, and the Freddy trade = bad.

jabrch
03-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I hope they don't just give it to Floyd to justify the Freddy trade. I believe Floyd has at least on option left to go to the minors, but I could be wrong.

I think this is another step in the direction of proving the McCarthy trade = good, and the Freddy trade = bad.

Until we know what Gio ends up, you can't conclude that. All Gio or Floyd need to do is put together one decent season and they become worth more than Freddy.

champagne030
03-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Until we know what Gio ends up, you can't conclude that. All Gio or Floyd need to do is put together one decent season and they become worth more than Freddy.

You can conclude that if nobody steps up in the 5th spot this season that trading Garcia and McCarthy brought us the 2007 version of the blackhole.

JohnTucker0814
03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Are our big name starters doing much better than Floyd at this point? :dunno: Seems to me that Garland and Vazquez aren't looking too impressive yet either. It's too early to say Floyd is failing. If we're going to do that, then we should also be worrying about how the rest of our starters are doing.

That being said, I am glad that we have other options available (Danks, Haegar) if Floyd ends up looking bad troughout spring training.

That is why I said "if he keeps this up..." which means 1 bad spring start won't end it for him. However, the difference between Garland, Vazquez, Buehrle & Contreras are they are guaranteed a spot, they do not have their job riding on their performance. Floyd knew going into spring training he was in a battle... what does that show you about him that he did not come ready to pitch? He can't afford "to work on pitches" during spring training. He needed to do that before spring training so he could be impressive out of the box. He just doesn't seem to be a gamer with the fighting instinct!

jabrch
03-10-2007, 12:21 PM
He just doesn't seem to be a gamer with the fighting instinct!

And your evidence of this is what exactly?

Fighting Instinct? *** does that mean?

socko82
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I think Floyd or Haeger gets the first shot and it really has nothing to do with how they pitch this spring. I think they probably want to start Danks for at least a month in AAA just to keep his service time down and get an extra year on the free agency/arbitration clock. I think the same can be said for Gio.

jabrch
03-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I think Floyd or Haeger gets the first shot and it really has nothing to do with how they pitch this spring. I think they probably want to start Danks for at least a month in AAA just to keep his service time down and get an extra year on the free agency/arbitration clock. I think the same can be said for Gio.

DING DING DING

We won't see Danks until after the allstar break and we won't see Gio until the same time in 2008.

PaulDrake
03-10-2007, 03:45 PM
And your evidence of this is what exactly?

Fighting Instinct? *** does that mean? I think the poster was accurate. Floyd, does not in any way project an air of confidence. He seems tentative and unsure, at least to me he does.

Beer Can Chicken
03-10-2007, 04:40 PM
As long as Floyd continues to look like he has throughout his brief career (crappy), I think Danks stands a fine chance to be the 5th starter. I think the best pitcher will be out there regardless of age.

ondafarm
03-10-2007, 05:38 PM
You can conclude that if nobody steps up in the 5th spot this season that trading Garcia and McCarthy brought us the 2007 version of the blackhole.

Well, you could, but it would be wrong.

California Sox
03-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I think the poster was accurate. Floyd, does not in any way project an air of confidence. He seems tentative and unsure, at least to me he does.

That was the knock on him in Philly. Let's hope that they were wrong.

rowand33
03-10-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm a big Haeger fan for the 5th spot. He was awesome in September. Floyd doesn't impress me. Haven't seen Danks pitch yet.

JermaineDye05
03-10-2007, 11:58 PM
As everyone expected, John Danks and Gavin Floyd are now the frontruinners for the 5th spot in the rotation per White Sox.com and rotoworld.