PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 3-10

Lip Man 1
03-09-2007, 12:17 PM
March 10, 1995 - After two stints at White Sox spring training and a full season in Birmingham, Michael Jordan announces he is giving up baseball. Part of the reason was because of his struggles with the game, but the other, larger part, as he explained to author Bob Greene, in the book, ‘Rebound, The Odyssey Of Michael Jordan’ was because he was being pressured by Sox G.M. Ron Schueler to cross the MLBPA picket line. With ‘replacement’ games set to start, Jordan stated that he was told if he didn’t cross the line he’d be banished from the main clubhouse. Jordan was furious saying that he was promised by owner Jerry Reinsdorf, he wouldn’t have to take that step. Jordan explained that under no circumstances would he ever cross a labor picket line regardless of sport. That the day would never come where he would be forced to be not a minor-league prospect, but a major-league strikebreaker. "I told them from the beginning that I didn’t want them to use me to make money in the spring training games. We had an understanding. It was never supposed to even come up. I was disgusted that the promise wasn’t going to be honored."

http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/8f/6a/7107_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Upper-Deck-Baseball-SP1-MIchael-Jordan-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ180091924935QQcategoryZ78151QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Lip

SBSoxFan
03-09-2007, 02:35 PM
"I told them from the beginning that I didn’t want them to use me to make money in the spring training games. We had an understanding. It was never supposed to even come up. I was disgusted that the promise wasn’t going to be honored."
Lip

Oh please!!! :whiner: It's not like they were going to make money off him due to his baseball talent.

chisox77
03-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Big Deal! No matter what went down, Jordan ended up making the best decision for himself and for others - to return to the sport he was best at. He tried baseball long enough to discover that he could barely hit .200 at the AA level. That's not good enough for anyone to make it to the big club. Given his size and strength, he only hit five homeruns, and drove in 51 RBI despite batting in a favorable spot of the order.

Huisj
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Big Deal! No matter what went down, Jordan ended up making the best decision for himself and for others - to return to the sport he was best at. He tried baseball long enough to discover that he could barely hit .200 at the AA level. That's not good enough for anyone to make it to the big club. Given his size and strength, he only hit five homeruns, and drove in 51 RBI despite batting in a favorable spot of the order.

In his defense though, it's pretty impressive to not play baseball competitvely for years and years and then go to AA and drive in 51 runs. Lots of guys never make it to AA because they can't do that at single A, and that's with a year-round focus on playing ball every year.