PDA

View Full Version : Want Brook Back?

duke of dorwood
03-18-2002, 12:36 PM
From Baltimore Sun:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Feeling they have three qualified catchers for two spots on the big-league roster, the Orioles have been exploring their trade options.

Brook Fordyce, Geronimo Gil and Fernando Lunar have been competing for the catching duties this spring, and Orioles manager Mike Hargrove said yesterday he still hasn't picked a No. 1 option, even in his own mind.

"I don't know," Hargrove said. "I thought I did a week ago, and now I'm not sure. And that's good. I don't know because guys are making good cases for themselves."

Hargrove has said he will likely carry two catchers, not three, on the 25-man roster.

Fordyce has limited trade value because he is in the second year of a three-year, $7.7 million contract and batted .209 last season. That leaves Gil and Lunar as the most likely trade options, and baseball sources say the Orioles have been telling teams they would rather trade Lunar than Gil.

Lunar, 24, served as the personal catcher for Atlanta Braves pitcher Greg Maddux in 2000 and is considered the Orioles' best defensive option. But scouts think Gil, 26, has the potential to blossom into a better all-around player.

Gil still has a minor-league option remaining on his contract, but Lunar doesn't. So the Orioles must either keep Lunar on the big-league roster or place him on waivers.

"We'll trade anybody if it helps us," Orioles vice president for baseball operations Syd Thrift said. "At least six teams like our catchers."

One potential suitor is the Cleveland Indians, who recently lost backup catcher Eddie Taubensee for at least two months with herniated discs in his back.

cheeses_h_rice
03-18-2002, 01:48 PM
In a word, "no." Brook's a great clubhouse guy and a decent catcher, but the Sox are already 3-deep with wishy-washy catchers. I think they'll do OK with Sandy O. and Mark J.

Yes, I do NOT want :versatile on the starting 25 this year...

RedPinStripes
03-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
In a word, "no." Brook's a great clubhouse guy and a decent catcher, but the Sox are already 3-deep with wishy-washy catchers. I think they'll do OK with Sandy O. and Mark J.

Yes, I do NOT want :versatile on the starting 25 this year...

Yup. :gulp:

baggio202
03-18-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Yup. :gulp:

last thing we need is another catcher that cant throw anybody out

RichH55
03-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

last thing we need is another catcher that cant throw anybody out

If he could show that he was a potential .300 hitter than he would be worth it, but with that contract unless the O's take most of it we just can't bring Brook back