PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bevington the day before he got fired

ewokpelts
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
4zpMhniynkU

pretty funny.

The youtube caption is Terry Bevington ambushed at Happy Hour.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
"Maybe I don't, maybe I don't???"

WOW....still an awesome find.

Gammons Peter
03-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Why was that guy ever managing the team

Sad
03-08-2007, 11:45 AM
good stuff... a blast from the past!

Jerome
03-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Why was that *** ever managing the team

agreed but u better edit your post i got banned for using the R word:D:

this interview is really akward and uncofortable to watch. I LOVE IT

southwstchi4life
03-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Great stuff, I kinda got to admit, I was a big bev fan. Im not saying he was a great coach, but he sure was entertaining

ewokpelts
03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
and i though ozzie was nutz?

Gammons Peter
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Boy, we've come a long way from the laughing stocks that we once were.

MeteorsSox4367
03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
I think of Terry Bevington every time I step in something that my beloved German shepherd has left in the backyard on a steamy August day.

WhiteSox5187
03-08-2007, 12:05 PM
How he ever got control of a team, I have no idea.

soxfanatlanta
03-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Just wow.

Risk
03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Whenever I'm feeling crappy about myself, all I need to do is be reminded of Terry Bevington (or Dave Wannstedt, for that matter), and then I remember that no matter how low I go, I'll never quite be as bad as Bevington.

Risk

vegyrex
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
That video needs to be seen by all Ozzie haters here. :wink:

twentywontowin
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Nothing like being completely rocked at noon. :cool:

BeeBeeRichard
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
"Maybe I don't have a pitcher warming up in the bullpen, or maybe I don't."

Chez
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I think they main reason he was hired was because he was "fiery" unlike his predecessor, Gene Lamont. Bevington was a really, really, really bad manager. Really bad.

Zisk77
03-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Just WOW!:o:

Evman5
03-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Does anybody else think he sounds a little bit Chris Farley-ish?

soxfanatlanta
03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Does anybody else think he sounds a little bit Chris Farley-ish?

More like the village idiot.

tebman
03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
What a maroon that guy was! To this day I don't know what Schuler was thinking when he hired Bevington.

Brrr! I shudder when I think back on the Bevington years. Brrr!

skobabe8
03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Can anyone guess (or know for sure) the date of that video?

Sargeant79
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
"Maybe I don't have a pitcher warming up in the bullpen, or maybe I don't."

LMAO. Awesome.

downstairs
03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Can anyone guess (or know for sure) the date of that video?

My guess is this was the day he was fired, if I remember correctly... I've seen this before... and I believe the story goes that Fox caught him rocked off his butt (yep, at noon) that day... press release came out later that day...

I'm just recalling...

Navarro's Talent
03-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Now, that's entertainment. Too bad the Bevington days weren't as entertaining as that interview.

skobabe8
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
My guess is this was the day he was fired, if I remember correctly... I've seen this before... and I believe the story goes that Fox caught him rocked off his butt (yep, at noon) that day... press release came out later that day...

I'm just recalling...

So did him being wasted have anything to do with his firing? Or was he dead man walking at that point?

thomas35forever
03-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Timberwolf wants this guy to manage the Twins??:?:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4zpMhniynkU

MinnySoxFan
03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Did good ol' Bev park in a handicap space?

southsidepolish
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
One summer night, after a game, I bought Mr. Terry Bevington an Old Style at Jimbo's. I believe it was Terry's first night there, so there was a little buzz going around the bar. Anyway my Cubfan friend starts to tell me that Terry sucks, Sox suck and so on. Needless to say punches are thrown, Terry gets bumped into, we get thrown out, Jimbo gets all upset, because "We don't always get the Sox manager here, and you guys start a fight right in front of him." It's funny now thinking back that I got in a fight sticking up for Terry "Boom Boom" Bevington.

BeviBall!
03-08-2007, 06:10 PM
This is the best use of youtube ever.

DumpJerry
03-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Timberwolf wants this guy to manage the Twins??:?:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4zpMhniynkU
You started your thread (which was merged) 6 hours after Ewok posted the same YouTube video. What happened today that two different people pulled up the same YouTube from long ago?

southsidepolish
03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
One summer night, after a game, I bought Mr. Terry Bevington an Old Style at Jimbo's. I believe it was Terry's first night there, so there was a little buzz going around the bar. Anyway my Cubfan friend starts to tell me that Terry sucks, Sox suck and so on. Needless to say punches are thrown, Terry gets bumped into, we get thrown out, Jimbo gets all upset, because "We don't always get the Sox manager here, and you guys start a fight right in front of him." It's funny now thinking back that I got in a fight sticking up for Terry "Boom Boom" Bevington.

oeo
03-08-2007, 06:25 PM
You started your thread (which was merged) 6 hours after Ewok posted the same YouTube video. What happened today that two different people pulled up the same YouTube from long ago?

Well, the video wasn't posted until yesterday. So, likely what happened, was they searched "White Sox", and sorted the videos in reverse chronological order, and that was on the top.

The Critic
03-08-2007, 06:26 PM
"Maybe I don't, maybe I don't???"

WOW....still an awesome find.

He actually said "maybe I know, maybe I don't".
He was a terrible manager, and he sounded like quite an imbecile in that clip.

Vernam
03-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, the video wasn't posted until yesterday. So, likely what happened, was they searched "White Sox", and sorted the videos in reverse chronological order, and that was on the top.And now it's been pulled by YouTube before I could see it. :whiner:

Vernam

oeo
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
And now it's been pulled by YouTube before I could see it. :whiner:

Vernam

You didn't miss much...or maybe you did. :wink:

Chances are it will be back up.

Brian26
03-08-2007, 08:04 PM
You didn't miss much...or maybe you did. :wink:

I think the correct quote should be, "you didn't miss much, or maybe you didn't." :cool:

Brian26
03-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Apparently Bevi had a bit of a problem coping with the pressures of being a big league manager. I had an experience firsthand with him back in 1996 in the Bullpen Sports Bar. I posted this last June:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1178709&postcount=78

I had a surreal personal experience with Bevington in 1996. The Bullpen Sports Bar had just been opened a few weeks earlier (this was mid-season), and Dave Wills was doing Friday night post game shows down there with Kris Kross. Players would drop by after the game and do interviews and sign autographs. A lot of people didn't know about it, so it was somewhat a well-kept secret. After a tough loss on this particular night, Wills mentioned that Bevington might be coming over to address the fans and do an interview. It was getting late (probably an hour after the game) and I had been there watching the festivities, and at some point I went to use the washroom. I was in there by myself, and out of the corner of my eye I see Bevington stumble in wearing a track suit. He walked up to the urinal right next to mine, and I could tell immediately he was drunk. I said hi to him and told him not to let the media bother him (he was getting killed by the newspapers at this time). That triggered a ten minute tirade on the Chicago media from Bevington. Just me and him in the bullpen sports bar bathroom, and he cussed out every sportswriter in town. I wanted to leave, but he kept talking. I was at the sink trying to wash my hands and dry them off, and he was still running his mouth. He was almost crying on my shoulder. It was surreal that he opened up to me like that (a complete stranger in the restroom). Like I said, though, he seemed hammered. We both left the bathroom, and he went on to do an interview with Willsy. I donít remember much after that. I think I was still in shock.

skobabe8
03-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Apparently Bevi had a bit of a problem coping with the pressures of being a big league manager. I had an experience firsthand with him back in 1996 in the Bullpen Sports Bar. I posted this last June:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1178709&postcount=78

I kid you not when I say that is one of the best stories I've ever heard.

soxinem1
03-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Like any fan, I wanted him to succeed when he was first hired, but just has a feeling that he would doom himself.

After the White Sox signed Harold Baines for the 1996 season, the team actually was playing real well at one point and had a pretty big lead in the WC race.

Baines meanwhile, was tearing the cover off the ball and looked on pace for an easy .300+, 25 HR, 100 RBI season.

Then following a game in which Baines had a big night, Bevington was asked to comment on what he thought about Baines resurgence since returning to the White Sox, and he replied something to the tune of Baines is a once in a lifetime hitter, and once he loses it, he will lose it in a hurry, that once a player gets his age, their skills can disappear overnight. Despite the fact the team was playing well at the time, the few positive thoughts I had towards this nut case were gone.

I'll never forget the silence among the sportswriters after that. They must have thought what I was thinking:

Shouldn't this guy be institutionalized?

But the pitching change one took the cake, when he said it was a strategy. All he should of said was, hey, I ****ed up!

I think the fitting planet for Bevington to make his home is Uranus, because that's what he is.

ewokpelts
03-09-2007, 03:29 PM
You started your thread (which was merged) 6 hours after Ewok posted the same YouTube video. What happened today that two different people pulled up the same YouTube from long ago?i was looking for comiskey park videos after i finished watching the tiger stadium farewell video...the bevington video was TOO GOOD to not share

chisox77
03-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the memories, and for sharing that gem. The irony is that Bevington actually has an overall winning record as manager of the White Sox. There are lots of good managers who struggled to get to the .500 mark lifetime because they had bad teams. Though the Sox weren't perfect in the middle/late 90's, they had some pretty good talent, and I remember having expectations for them to compete a little more seriously than they actually did.