PDA

View Full Version : Kenny's Gamble (SI article)

kidmccarthy
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Decent article about Kenny's tactics from Sports Illustrated.

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/03/06/williams0312/index.html)

rdivaldi
03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Yep that was a pretty fair article. Good to see someone telling all sides of the story.

Lip Man 1
03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Regarding Crede, last night on Comcast Sports Chicago in his Cactus League conversation with Chuck Garfein, Crede said (I'm paraphrasing here) that it's not his nor his agent's job to make the White Sox an offer for a long term deal, that "they are the ones with all the money."

No mention was made of his oft repeated comment here at WSI about firing his agent if that was the reason a new deal could not be reached.

Take it for what it's worth.

Lip

mantis1212
03-07-2007, 04:23 PM
It's a good article, but as other articles have done, it says Kenny has shed two-fifths of the rotation, which is simply false. ONE STARTER from last year is all he's traded.

That's also the first time I've seen Dye quoted as talking about Carlos Lee numbers. I wonder if the writer is speculating there...

thedudeabides
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
It's a good article, but as other articles have done, it says Kenny has shed two-fifths of the rotation, which is simply false. ONE STARTER from last year is all he's traded.

That's also the first time I've seen Dye quoted as talking about Carlos Lee numbers. I wonder if the writer is speculating there...

Yeah, I thought this article was pretty sloppy. Also, that's quite a bit of speculation in such a short article. Dye to Texas at CLee money, Beuhrle to the Cards, and A-Rod to the Sox.

jabrch
03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
. Dye to Texas at CLee money, Beuhrle to the Cards, and A-Rod to the Sox.

Given our SP that is near MLB ready, Gar, Contreras and Javy signed and a few decent OF options, I'd do it in a heartbeat to get A-Rod playing SS for us.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Interesting article - but, like all of them, I think KW gives them enough to chew on, without telling them anything.

How do we go from Dye wanting to stay here to going to the Angels? The writer.
How do we know that Crede will be dealt so Fields can come up? The writer.
How do we know the Cubs spent $300M and KW runs the "Tight Sox"?
EVERY WRITER.

KW, keep at it. Joke'em if they can't take a ****...or, something like that.

Vernam
03-07-2007, 06:57 PM
It's a good article, but as other articles have done, it says Kenny has shed two-fifths of the rotation, which is simply false. ONE STARTER from last year is all he's traded.It's even worse than that: The SI story implies that KW was ready to trade Garland in addition to Garcia and McCarthy. Um, no.

Decent article, though, still. What too seldom gets mentioned is that the farm system's average-to-poor performance is putting tremendous pressure on Williams to pull more rabbits like Dye and Contreras out of the hat.

Vernam

ilsox7
03-08-2007, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I thought this article was pretty sloppy. Also, that's quite a bit of speculation in such a short article. Dye to Texas at CLee money, Beuhrle to the Cards, and A-Rod to the Sox.

And what is with everyone calling McCarthy a hard-thrower since this trade? The guy does not throw mid-90's at all. Ever. He is not a hard-thrower by any definition. Yet the media dubs him as much.

MRM
03-08-2007, 10:55 PM
It's even worse than that: The SI story implies that KW was ready to trade Garland in addition to Garcia and McCarthy. Um, no.

He was. It's been well documented and Kenny has admitted to it. The Astros wouldn't give Kenny all of what he wanted so he shut down the talks, and that WAS after the Garcia and Mac trades.

MRM
03-08-2007, 10:56 PM
And what is with everyone calling McCarthy a hard-thrower since this trade? The guy does not throw mid-90's at all. Ever. He is not a hard-thrower by any definition. Yet the media dubs him as much.

He's tall. The media relates that to throwing hard (See: Johnson, Randy)

Lip Man 1
03-08-2007, 11:44 PM
I believe the near deal of Garland to Houston for at least three players was before McCarthy got traded.

Lip

cheezheadsoxfan
03-09-2007, 09:05 AM
I believe the near deal of Garland to Houston for at least three players was before McCarthy got traded.

Lip

That' s how I remember it also. I felt the article was just a slightly more balanced version of the crap the Trib has been dishing out. But at least he used the word "workhorse" for the right pitcher.

Vernam
03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
He was. It's been well documented and Kenny has admitted to it. The Astros wouldn't give Kenny all of what he wanted so he shut down the talks, and that WAS after the Garcia and Mac trades.You missed the point. SI said KW was going to trade Garland AND McCarthy, which is very different from Garland OR McCarthy. The Garland trade was reportedly real, and when it fell through, it morphed into the McCarthy trade. No one with any credibility has claimed Garcia, Garland AND McCarthy ALL might have been traded.

Vernam

palehozenychicty
03-09-2007, 12:04 PM

I wondered the same thing. :?:

maurice
03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
He was. It's been well documented and Kenny has admitted to it.

Where? Link please.

The Astros wouldn't give Kenny all of what he wanted so he shut down the talks, and that WAS after the Garcia and Mac trades.

No, the trade talks with the Astros occurred BEFORE the Garcia and McCarthy trades. KW basically asked teams to make offers for any of the Sox 6 starters. When the offers came in, he decided that the Phils and the Rangers made the best deals, especially in light of an injury concern re. one of the Astros players. It's true that the Trib continued to report the Houston deal after the Garcia trade, but the rumors and discussions pre-dated it. Phil Rogers assured us that Garland to Houston was a done deal and was absolutely shocked when KW traded McCarthy instead. Even the Ranger's GM was shocked. Under the radar and all that.

In addition, the fact that KW never traded Garland is pretty strong evidence that he didn't intend to trade all 3 pitchers. Garland is a very hot property. If KW wanted to dump him for prospects, he would have absolutely no problem trading him in January, February, or any other month on the calendar.

Finally, after the McCarthy trade, KW indicated that he intended to build the staff around fire-ballers and sinker-ballers. Hence the keeping of Garland and the ditching of McCarthy. If he simply were trying to cut costs, as the Trib has alleged, KW certainly would have kept McCarthy.

PushinWeight
03-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Tight Sox? Ha! I laughed when I saw that. Not that I agree with it or anything, but it's so stupid, its kinda clever. And funny sounding.