PDA

View Full Version : Indians sign Rivera

MattSharp
03-18-2002, 10:11 AM
The Tribe signed Yankee theif Rueben Rivera to a one year deal. Maybe they are hoping he stole some of the Yankee's magic along with Jeter's glove.

Apparently the Rangers were also interested in him. Could you imagine a clubhouse with Rivera, Rocker, and Everett? Wow, that would be a regular old freak show.....

cheeses_h_rice
03-18-2002, 10:42 AM
I forget, is Rivera an outfielder? What position does he play, and who would he be replacing? Or would he just be backup/insurance?

czalgosz
03-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I forget, is Rivera an outfielder? What position does he play, and who would he be replacing? Or would he just be backup/insurance?

He's a centerfielder, probably one of the best defensive centerfielders in the game. He's not a good hitter. He's pretty fast. He has value as a defensive replacement and pinch runner.

Jjav829
03-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Yes Rivera is an outfielder. I doubt he would replace anyone right away, but if he starts to play good they may replace Anderson with Rivera. Otherwise hes just a backup.

czalgosz
03-18-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829

Yes Rivera is an outfielder. I doubt he would replace anyone right away, but if he starts to play good they may replace Anderson with Rivera. Otherwise hes just a backup.

Best-case scenario for Rivera is that they would platoon him in center with Anderson. He's not close to the hitter that Anderson is, and Anderson sucks. The Indians are going to have all sorts of trouble this year.