PDA

View Full Version : Good ESPN Article About The Sox Pitching Staff

Thome25
03-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Didn't see this posted. Thought it was a good read and I was alittle shocked that ESPN actually had an article that didn't bash the Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2789289

soltrain21
03-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I thought that was a pretty fair article. I'm really excited to watch this bullpen, and I can't wait to see who ends up being our fifth starter. I hope whoever fills the role does the job, but I really want Floyd to win that spot and have some success.

Madscout
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
"Garcia is eligible for free agency in November, and his rate of strikeouts per nine innings has declined from 7.89 to 5.62 since 2004."

I don't get the infatuation with strike outs. Go with ERA, outs are outs. With a D like ours, we can afford pitchers that specialize in daring the hitter to hit. Just keep it in the park.

oeo
03-07-2007, 12:05 PM
"Garcia is eligible for free agency in November, and his rate of strikeouts per nine innings has declined from 7.89 to 5.62 since 2004."

I don't get the infatuation with strike outs. Go with ERA, outs are outs. With a D like ours, we can afford pitchers that specialize in daring the hitter to hit. Just keep it in the park.

Because Freddy was always a power pitcher, and now he's not, so that could be evidence of a decline.

Iwritecode
03-07-2007, 12:14 PM

Because a pitcher can directly control strikeouts unlike ERA.

ondafarm
03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Decent article but nothing thrilling.

jabrch
03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Because a pitcher can directly control strikeouts unlike ERA.

?

I wouldn't really say he controls Ks. That requires a hitter to either not swing, or to swing and miss.

Sox It To Em
03-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Thing is, a K is an automatic out no matter what. A ball in play always has a chance to wind up as a hit due to randomness/luck.

Iwritecode
03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
?

I wouldn't really say he controls Ks. That requires a hitter to either not swing, or to swing and miss.

Yea but it's strictly between the pitcher and the batter.

ERA can depend on how many errors the defense makes behind the pitcher.

rdivaldi
03-07-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm a firm believer in paying closer attention to a pitcher's WHIP. Freddy's has been on the rise (although slowly) for the past couple of years.

FedEx227
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Notwithstanding the outcry in Chicago, the moves make sense on a certain level. Garcia is eligible for free agency in November, and his rate of strikeouts per nine innings has declined from 7.89 to 5.62 since 2004. And though McCarthy might develop into a top-of-the-rotation guy, his ground-ball-to-fly-ball ratio did not bode well for success at U.S. Cellular Field (or Texas, for that matter).

Finally somebody understands.

It's about more than being a "gamer" and "clutch". Garcia's velocity was down, K/9 were down, WHIP was up, age was up. Yes he was a "gamer" but he was showing signs of being on the downhill and in the American League these days, especially the AL Central you can't mess around with pitching.

thomas35forever
03-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Great article to inform those who don't know much about our situation and provide those who do know with more detail. Should be an interesting year for our pitching staff.

Jerome
03-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Offense wasn't a problem for the 2006 Sox, who scored 868 runs, compared with 741 for the championship club. Pitching was another story. The team ERA spiked from 3.61 to 4.61, and the Chicago staff allowed more homers (200 compared with 167) and a higher batting average (.271 versus .249) than in the previous season.

I know people are smarter here, but I would just like to point this out to all the idiots who call the Score and what not and think that we need to get back to playing more small ball, and that was the reason the 06 team was not as good.

The reason the 05 Sox won the world series was because of the great starting pitching. The reason the 06 Sox lost was because of poor starting pitching.

balke
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I know people are smarter here, but I would just like to point this out to all the idiots who call the Score and what not and think that we need to get back to playing more small ball, and that was the reason the 06 team was not as good.

The reason the 05 Sox won the world series was because of the great starting pitching. The reason the 06 Sox lost was because of poor starting pitching.

So why did they trade the pitcher who won 17 games for them, and sign an extension for the guy who won 11 games and couldn't get out of the 6th inning?

drewcifer
03-07-2007, 06:31 PM

You can put alot on the bullpen for not making the playoffs last year too. Politte and Cotts were not the same; Thornton the only bright spot, and McDougal probably too little too late.

They won 90 games with that SP. Had the BP done a better job of keeping the team in it and resulting in a few more Ws they'd have been in the playoffs - then anybody has a good shot of going the distance.

But I don't disagree that SP was a major difference between the two seasons either.

goon
03-07-2007, 06:33 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84956

it's cool, no one like my thread anyway!:smile: