PDA

View Full Version : Nice FOX interview w/ Kenny after the Vazquez signing

Vernam
03-07-2007, 02:05 AM
On FOX broadcasts, Ken Rosenthal always strikes me as spacey, but this is a thoughtful interview with Kenny: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6535076

Rosenthal says:
If, at first glance, Williams' logic appears elusive, so be it. After a moment's reflection OK, sometimes longer his reasoning usually becomes clear.Meanwhile, it's a shame the local media (e.g., David Haugh last night on CSN Tribune Live) keep portraying KW as some kind of lunatic or a Reinsdorf puppet.

Vernam

HotelWhiteSox
03-07-2007, 02:56 AM
A good read, and I definately agree with KW on the young talent, better pen, and state of the team this year, but I'm still iffy on the Vazquez thing

IlliniSox4Life
03-07-2007, 03:20 AM
A good read, and I definately agree with KW on the young talent, better pen, and state of the team this year, but I'm still iffy on the Vazquez thing

The market for veteran starting pitchers is just so wacky right now that it is hard to predict. Kenny seems to have set himself up pretty well that no matter what happens, he's in a decent spot. If pitching continues to inflate, he has a lot of young arms as well as some veterans under contract at reasonable prices for the next few years.

If there is a market correction and the starting pitching starts getting cheaper, the contracts aren't too ridiculous or too long that they will hurt the team very much. And even with a cheaper pitching market, with MLB seeming to be growing in popularity a bit (as well as the Sox), revenues will continue to go up and more teams will have more money to spend.

veeter
03-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Rosenthal finally is giving Kenny his due. Before the 2005 season, he was among the group making fun of the Sox (KW), especially for the CLee/ Pods deal. Well, at least he's seen the error of his ways. Haugh on the other hand, has not. He was ripping the Sox for scouting Pavano. He said, "You trade Garcia and then want to get Pavano!?" Well, Davey the Sox just looked at the guy, they didn't pull off any deal. The Sox get ripped for things they do, and even things they don't do. It seems so easy for media members to criticize, rather than look at the big picture. Only a year and a half removed from winning the WORLD SERIES, and all is forgotten. Kenny may make talent evaluation mistakes from time to time, but he's got the fiscal aspect of MLB down frickin' pat.

hi im skot
03-07-2007, 08:31 AM
"Buehrle is likely to depart, probably to the Cardinals..."

:rolleyes:

veeter
03-07-2007, 08:51 AM
"Buehrle is likely to depart, probably to the Cardinals..."

:rolleyes:I think media guys get bonus money for saying that. I mean they all have.

thedudeabides
03-07-2007, 09:48 AM
That's all I ask out of a journalist is just not to be lazy. Kenny, Ozzie, or someone in the Sox organization is usually available if you have question about trades or signings. Instead, much of the local media just starts spitting out their opinions, good or bad, without any insight or letting time go by to see what happens. I am not a huge fan of Rosenthal, but I give him credit for actually getting an interview. Something many writers seem to have stopped doing.

spiffie
03-07-2007, 10:08 AM
THE money line from this interview:

Q: If Buerhle has a good year, would you even bid for him? A: The better question is, will we have to?

Kenny is always working.

soxinem1
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Rosenthal finally is giving Kenny his due. Before the 2005 season, he was among the group making fun of the Sox (KW), especially for the CLee/ Pods deal. Well, at least he's seen the error of his ways. Haugh on the other hand, has not. He was ripping the Sox for scouting Pavano. He said, "You trade Garcia and then want to get Pavano!?" Well, Davey the Sox just looked at the guy, they didn't pull off any deal. The Sox get ripped for things they do, and even things they don't do. It seems so easy for media members to criticize, rather than look at the big picture. Only a year and a half removed from winning the WORLD SERIES, and all is forgotten. Kenny may make talent evaluation mistakes from time to time, but he's got the fiscal aspect of MLB down frickin' pat.

I agree with you to an extent, but I do recall pre-2005 when Rosenthal would give credit to KW for taking his hits (D. Wells, Ritchie deals) but continuing to get up and fight again. He also was one of the first media guys to coin KW's former magic number, 1917, that if any team had not won a World Series since then, then no player or prospect is untouchable to achieve the goal of winning one.

WhiteSox5187
03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
There are two lines that really struck me, one is that Kenny has said the amount of revenue has not gone up by much which I have a hard time believing. I mean, they sold out the park for about every game last year and White Sox stuff was flying off the shelves. I just don't understand how revenue couldn't have gone up.

The other one was when asked if we would even bid on MB if he had a good year Kenny says "The question is, will we even have to?" I'm trying to figure out what this means. The eternal optimist in me says "Oh! This is a sign that we're going to resign him before the season ends!" But there is another part of me that says "That can't be right." So I'm not so sure what that means. But hopefully it means a deal is in the works. I'm not sure though.

MincHiaPettito
03-07-2007, 12:52 PM
It is sad that national east coast guys (also see ESPN article posted earlier) get this plan of what is going on with starting pitchers more than all of the Chicago media combined. Im not a huge fan of what we got for Garcia but it could still work out real good, and that is basically the type of thing you HAD to do

schmitty9800
03-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Man, David Haugh is already the absolute worst Bears writer in town and now he's commenting on the Sox?

Great interview though, I loved the point that all of the Sox's highest paid pitchers don't have no-trade clauses allowing KW that flexibility.

Hitmen77
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
There are two lines that really struck me, one is that Kenny has said the amount of revenue has not gone up by much which I have a hard time believing. I mean, they sold out the park for about every game last year and White Sox stuff was flying off the shelves. I just don't understand how revenue couldn't have gone up.

Attendance isn't going to be much higher this year (07) than last year because they were already close to capacity most of last year.

Merchandise sales profits to go MLB (to be shared by the teams), not the individual team.

Scottiehaswheels
03-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Attendance isn't going to be much higher this year (07) than last year because they were already close to capacity most of last year.
Slight difference between this year and last year though... They'll have an extra 6 games at home this year...

kitekrazy
03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
If there is a market correction and the starting pitching starts getting cheaper,

That will only happen if stupid owners die off. It probably won't happen in our lifetime since there are more dumb ones to fill their shoes. They pass their stupid spending habits on to fans by expensive ticket prices.

itsnotrequired
03-07-2007, 10:14 PM
That will only happen if stupid owners die off. It probably won't happen in our lifetime since there are more dumb ones to fill their shoes. They pass their stupid spending habits on to fans by expensive ticket prices.

This post makes me chuckle. Not that the message is funny or anything like that but the way it is worded is a riot.