PDA

View Full Version : Soriano, the Flubsessed journey begins.

JermaineDye05
03-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Well we all saw how bad Alfonso looked in center in the Sox-Cubs game on sunday, with his very odd routes to the ball very Rob Mackowiak like. I don't know if anyone was watching the highlights today on CSN, if you didn't it was quite hilarious, a routine flyball to Soriano and he drops it. This is truly going to be very fun to watch from the South Side that is :D:

QCIASOXFAN
03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I agree, its going to be a treat watching Cubs highlights this year of him dropping balls, especially in the windy games at Wrigley.

PAPChiSox729
03-06-2007, 11:14 PM
I agree, its going to be a treat watching Cubs highlights this year of him dropping balls, especially in the windy games at Wrigley.

I think Soriano is going to have a great offensive year, especially considering he is now going to be at Wrigley. As for his defense, I'm wondering if he will finish the season in another position.

jabrch
03-06-2007, 11:43 PM
If they have to move him out of CF, they could be in a world of hurt. Jaque Jones can't play CF anymore. Murton has to play LF. Moving Soriano means one of those two guys has to sit and Pie would have to start every day in CF. Since it looks like they don't think he's ready, that leaves Pagan or Theriot, neither of whom should be playing every day.

I think they have little choice but to go with Soriano. Hendry signed the best available FA on the market, but didn't make enough moves to make it sensible for his roster. He's probably going to have to do something about Jones (trade him for a mediocre CF) in order to make this work.

I hear Arte Moreno has an extra CF he's looking to unload.

Retro
03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
How many positions has this guy played throughout his career? Seems like a ton.

IndianWhiteSox
03-07-2007, 07:49 AM
How many positions has this guy played throughout his career? Seems like a ton.

Four, SS,2B,LF,CF

itsnotrequired
03-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Four, SS,2B,LF,CF

Three. He hasn't played a major league game in center (unless you count this year's Spring Training).

I'm also pretty sure he never played a game there as a minor-leaguer either but he did play 3rd in Japan at the start of his career.

veeter
03-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Just another example of how the cubs sign players for the 'WOW' factor, and not defense. They want their pitchers to strike people out, and their hitters to hit homeruns. They forsake good defense/ efficient e.r.a.s for highlights.

soxinem1
03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
It seems that they have too many DH's for no positions!!!!

Murton is the best of the bunch defensively, but he cannot play CF.

Throw Cliff Floyd in the mix, and you have a lot of 2B's bynopposing hitters.....

spiffie
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Just another example of how the cubs sign players for the 'WOW' factor, and not defense. They want their pitchers to strike people out, and their hitters to hit homeruns. They forsake good defense/ efficient e.r.a.s for highlights.
The problem for the Cubs wasn't signing Soriano. They got the best player on the FA market and someone who will be a dramatic improvement for them.

The problem was keeping the useless Jacque Jones and not making any sort of move to pick up a competent defensive CF, letting them hide Soriano in RF where he would be basically a neutral sort of player for them defensively.

AuroraSoxFan
03-07-2007, 11:04 AM
You will definitely see him on ESPN highlight reels botching tons of plays in CF. He has some raw ability and can adapt to a point, but even a guy with that ability is still going to mess up a lot of balls in CF due to never playing that spot and the winds that will be present in a lot of his home games.

We should set some kind of over/under on either how many misplayed balls he has or how many games it costs his team.

veeter
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
But the media says Lou will take care of the mistakes. I mean you can only yell so much.

PatK
03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I've seen 11 year old girls with stronger arms than Murton.

That being said, I think he's totally getting a raw deal.

What exactly has he done wrong that warrants him getting platooned?

Same goes for Theriot.

Cubs wasted a bunch of money signing and over the hill player (Floyd) and a one-shot wonder (DeRossa) when they had two decent players already in the wings.

getonbckthr
03-07-2007, 04:06 PM
I guarentee either Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter will be starting for the Cubs by August 1st. The question how much will it screw up the Cubs future?

Craig Grebeck
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Heaven forbid!

FedEx227
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
You will definitely see him on ESPN highlight reels botching tons of plays in CF. He has some raw ability and can adapt to a point, but even a guy with that ability is still going to mess up a lot of balls in CF due to never playing that spot and the winds that will be present in a lot of his home games.

We should set some kind of over/under on either how many misplayed balls he has or how many games it costs his team.

At least 10-15. Seriously, wait until he's at Houston or San Diego.

Anybody have the video of his latest miscue?! I've had an ongoing argument with a Cub fan friend (that Soriano's defense would kill the Cubs season) and I need video evidence throughout the year.

jabrch
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
RF in Wrigley is actually harder than CF. If they move him to RF, it won't fix the problem unless they acquire a fantastic defensive CF. Murton is average at best in LF, and his range is nothing special.

Hendry got the best player available, but he's got no opening at the position that he is best able to play.

FedEx227
03-08-2007, 01:18 PM
RF in Wrigley is actually harder than CF. If they move him to RF, it won't fix the problem unless they acquire a fantastic defensive CF. Murton is average at best in LF, and his range is nothing special.

Hendry got the best player available, but he's got no opening at the position that he is best able to play.

Which position is that? DH?

soxfanatlanta
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
I guarentee either Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter will be starting for the Cubs by August 1st. The question how much will it screw up the Cubs future?

What future?

:tongue:

jabrch
03-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Which position is that? DH?

He's a playble LF, especially in Wrigley.

UserNameBlank
03-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't think Pinella is that stupid. Sure, he will play Soriano in CF as long as he has to in order to get Jones and Murton/Floyd AB's, but I'm willing to bet that Lou is already pushing for the Cubs to make a deal for a CF, preferably at the expense of Jacque Jones. Floyd they will probably keep and makes for a very nice pinch hitter and DH in AL games, but if they are smart they won't take any AB's away from Murton.

As much as I hate the Cubs, Pinella is the right guy to counteract Hendry's ongoing mistakes.