PDA

View Full Version : About The Score

ajfan
03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I know 670 the score does the broadcasts, but I really don't like how they say bad things about the Sox. Also, they keep dragging stuff on what Ozzie said. I cannot stand listening to anything but Ed and Chris! How about you guys?

CashMan
03-06-2007, 08:29 PM
I know 670 the score does the broadcasts, but I really don't like how they say bad things about the Sox. Also, they keep dragging stuff on what Ozzie said. I cannot stand listening to anything but Ed and Chris! How about you guys?

Well, if you like positive things all the time turn the dial to AM 1000. Anyways, how old are you?

crazyozzie02
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
personally the only people i dont listen to is the Mike North Show and Murph. I actually like Boers and Bernstien a lot

HotelWhiteSox
03-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I agree with ajfan. I stopped listening a lot last year. Early in the year, it was clear that they took a big proCubs approach to try and apologize for them getting the Sox (even though they screwed us big time, getting rid of Rooney), and the Sox were ignored when good and then they poured it on whenever there was anything questionable.

I am all for criticism with merit, but there's also a lot of the same crap from fake Sox fans on that station. E.g., they make fun of the Sox and feel it justified since they are "fans", rip the offseason, then come back when things are good and taunt the Cubs, but then later on take any little incident (some I heard sounded made up), sometimes inspired by them, and play the 'Sox fans obssesed with the Cubs' card to rip on them.

Also an example on AM1000. The Sox did something about not allowing Mac Jurko and Harry at their Spring Training, Mac was real mad and took it as an opportunity to start trying to make Sox fans to feel bad by first saying it'll be a bad summer for us because the Cubs will definately succeed and they spent money :\ He then ripped the Sox moves, which would be fine if you really felt that way, but it was based on what the team allowed his radio station to do. And also used to say he would probably start talking a lot more Cubs now and suggested that segments where both teams were talked about should maybe be turned into all Cubs. Lame. And he will be back if the team makes the playoffs.

Uncle_Patrick
03-07-2007, 12:14 AM
The only thing I listen to regularly on the Score is B&B. I think they take both the Cubs and Sox to task equally when its deserved. I don't know about the Score being pro-Cub, outside of Murph. And, truth be told, I wouldn't even say that Murph is really anti-Sox, its just that his love for the Cubs is very blatantly obvious and, frankly, he's a moron, so the Cubs can have him. Maybe I'm not listening to the right shows to hear this pro-Cub/anti-Sox agenda.

As for Dan MacNeil, I used to listen to his show, but he strikes me as about as big of a self-loathing Sox fan as there is. There seems to be nothing he likes about the White Sox, yet, somehow, they're his team. It always cracked me up when Cubs fans would tell me that MJ&H was a "Sox" show, back when the Sox were on AM1000, considering that the only self-proclaimed Sox fan on the show just complains about them and the other 2 guys are Cubs fans.

cws05champ
03-07-2007, 07:06 AM
XM baby!!! Baseball this morning and Fantasy Focus Rocks!!!

PatK
03-07-2007, 08:31 AM
XM baby!!! Baseball this morning and Fantasy Focus Rocks!!!

Agreed. Do yourselves a favor and get XM.

Mac is as big of a fair weather fan as you can get.

Seeing as how when he's at a game he's constantly on his cell phone, drinking, or off trying to sneak a smoke, he's better suited for the Cubs.

For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would want to listen to sports radio outside of broadcasts.

SOXPHILE
03-07-2007, 12:41 PM
To sum up the Score:

Mike Murphy: Cub loving tool. Knows practically NOTHING about any of the 4 pro sports leagues. Embarrassing to hear him try to talk about baseball, footall, basketball, and doesn't even bother with hockey. Knowledge limited to Cubs baseball, and even that is spotty at best, but he will almost always steer any topic of conversation over to them. Baseball knowledge is actually limited to 1969 Cubs, when he was in his full glory as an unemployed bleacher bum.

B & B: Used to be best show on the station, but the last couple of years, they have really gone downhill IMO. Now, they spend way too much time ridiculing anyone who dare offer a differing opinion than theirs, (even if they are right), and don't even give callers time to rebut or answer their questions. Usually resort to shouting "YES OR NO ? JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION !" while caller tries to clarify or make a point on something. Always acting high and mighty, and as if they are privy to all this inside information about things. (Example: Terry always says he knew about a story before it broke, because he has "peeps" on the inside) Get over yourselves boys, and quit phoning it in.

Mike North: Who cares

Mulligan & Hanley: Actually, a very good show. They talk about a wide variety of sports related subjects in the 2 hours they are given.

MEMO TO THE SCORE: Move Murphy to the 2-6 A.M. slot, and give Mulligan & Hanley the full 4 hours. Please.

Juice16
03-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't know how a fan of any team in this city can like Boers and Bernstine. It is impossible for them to highlight any positive in a story. Just listening for a few minutes has me feeling like this...:angry:

chaerulez
03-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Why do you care what others say about the Sox? Do other people's opinions on your favorite sports teams diminish or alter how you enjoy watching and cheering for these teams? If you answer "yes", then something is wrong with you. Just get over it.

kidmccarthy
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
B&B are highbrow. You either understand their witty sarcasm and realize they are superior(in their minds), or you hate them. Personally, I think they are a step above all the other crap in Chicago. Only Silvy and Carmen come close, and they got broken apart. B&B have the best segment on radio, 'who ya crappin'. Just remember when listening to them, they are no homers, and that is just so refreshing. Not for everyone though.

spawn
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
The only one on The Score I like is Chris Rongey. The only ones I like on AM1000 is Silvy and Carmen. Thanks to all the rest, I can't stomach listening to sports radio in this town.

FedEx227
03-07-2007, 02:25 PM
I listen to Murph soley for John Dewan on Tuesdays, otherwise the only thing I really listen to is B&B and sometimes the Me Show, but Holmes is another self-loathing type of Sox fan, in that they are his team, but he hates everything they do.

rdivaldi
03-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Why do you care what others say about the Sox? Do other people's opinions on your favorite sports teams diminish or alter how you enjoy watching and cheering for these teams?

Because the media influences opinion. You can't turn a blind eye to that fact. Without fans the Sox are nothing.

Dick Allen
03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
I really don't care who is hosting on WSCR (though most of them are awful), the station is unlistenable because of all the commercials.

soxtalker
03-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I really don't care who is hosting on WSCR (though most of them are awful), the station is unlistenable because of all the commercials.

That's a good point. I'll listen to most of the shows. There's certainly a tendency to turn small issues into big controversies, but I can live with that. There's just an awful lot of dead time between games or trades. But the amount of time taken up by commercials is incredible.

FedEx227
03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
That's a good point. I'll listen to most of the shows. There's certainly a tendency to turn small issues into big controversies, but I can live with that. There's just an awful lot of dead time between games or trades. But the amount of time taken up by commercials is incredible.

It's gotten worse too. Once a couple of friends and I timed the actual length of segments on the B&B compared to commercials and commercials absolutely destroyed the time of the segments.

It's even worse because they always brag when they've gone a long time without commercials. Any of the guys will be taking to Steve Stone and when he's done you get the "Now thats 35 straight minutes of sports talk right here on the Score!"

MDF3530
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
In other words, you want them to be a bunch of rube homer cheerleaders, right?

Lukin13
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Get XM!

I am in the car A TON these days....

My normal listening schedule:

Morning: I flip between Shemon/JDub Fox & Mike and Mike ESPN
Late Morning: Colin Cowherd ESPN
Afternoon: Dan Patrick ESPN
Evening: B&B The Score
Late Nights: Andrew Sicilliano Fox Sports

Chicago Sports Radio needs to wake up and get some new blood in town. I prefer the more outspoken hosts but ones that actually know what they are talking about (not Mike North). Also, the Score better make sure they keep Bernstein locked up... I gotta imagine he is getting some National offers.

peeonwrigley
03-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Also, the Score better make sure they keep Bernstein locked up... I gotta imagine he is getting some National offers.

Good riddance.

FWIW, I got satellite radio over the holidays and I don't miss local sports radio one bit. I'll still turn on the Score this year for Sox games, and the pre- and post-, but that is pretty much it.

FoulTerritory
03-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Good riddance.

I think the problem with Boers and Bernstein isn't Bernstein, its Boers. He's insanely arrogant, and his humor is obnoxious and obnoxiously unfunny. Whenever Boers is on vaca, Bernstein is really good I think -- and its mostly because the bad parts of Bernstein happen when he gets sucked into Boers absurd and tired routine.

Frontman
03-07-2007, 06:40 PM

Compared to who? AM 1000? They're ten minutes of talk, followed by 4 minutes of commericals, then 2 minutes of "Sportscenter" follwed by 4 minutes of commericals.

I can handle B&B, as at least they have a brain cell or two. MJH are just a radio version of the Superfans SNL skit (hell, I don't think anyone realized that Harry should of been thrown out with the rest of the Loop staff back in the day.....) And I'm sorry, their humor gets lost on me, as its just 3 morons laughing over college level humor.

Murph is just God awful, North can be ok, but when his recent run of digging up dirt has soured me on his show. The Me Show can be fun as well, but that's hit and miss.

As far as Mully/Hanley, I liked them. Then their paper threw the race card into the Lovie Smith story, without anything being said of the sort by Lovie or his agent. For them to tout their paper as "The Bright One" makes me sick. Maybe I'll start listening again down the road, but to me, the Times and everyone involved can go take a flyin' leap.

On ESPN, I actually enjoy Mike and Mike, as well as Dan Patrick (as if you take him with a grain of salt, and laugh when he gets all superior instead of being incenced by him, he's a fun listen.)

All in all, sports talk isn't for everyone; just like any radio talk format. It can be entertaining, but it can also drive the ever lovin' hell out of you.

Front

FedEx227
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
I think the problem with Boers and Bernstein isn't Bernstein, its Boers. He's insanely arrogant, and his humor is obnoxious and obnoxiously unfunny. Whenever Boers is on vaca, Bernstein is really good I think -- and its mostly because the bad parts of Bernstein happen when he gets sucked into Boers absurd and tired routine.

Agreed, whenever he's with Holmes or any other replacement B&B gets much better.

gaelhound
03-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I really don't care who is hosting on WSCR (though most of them are awful), the station is unlistenable because of all the commercials."Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded" - Yogi Berra:tongue: If it is unlistenable then why are businesses paying to air their commercials?

Dick Allen
03-07-2007, 09:57 PM
"Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded" - Yogi Berra:tongue: If it is unlistenable then why are businesses paying to air their commercials?Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

mshake10
03-07-2007, 10:48 PM
The problem is that they move many of their commercials from the front half hour to the back half hour. This is just so they can have "25 minutes of uninterrupted sports talk." Of course, once you get the scoreboard update at :30, you might as well turn the dial because you're not going to get much more for the rest of that hour.

This long block of commercials in the 2nd half of the hour IS annoying. But obviously it's working, so I'll just have to "deal" with it.

rdivaldi
03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
The problem is that they move many of their commercials from the front half hour to the back half hour. This is just so they can have "25 minutes of uninterrupted sports talk." Of course, once you get the scoreboard update at :30, you might as well turn the dial because you're not going to get much more for the rest of that hour.

This long block of commercials in the 2nd half of the hour IS annoying. But obviously it's working, so I'll just have to "deal" with it.

I could probably live them more easily if they weren't so awful. They always sound like they're playing to the lowest common denominator. Always a mixture of boner-pills, debt consolidation, plastic surgery, and strip clubs.

harwar
03-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Always a mixture of boner-pills, debt consolidation, plastic surgery, and strip clubs.

Hey,it's the american way ..

Frontman
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

I need that on a T-shirt. As well as commentary on reality television.

:wink:

Front

Juice16
03-08-2007, 08:35 AM

I would have to agree with you here. Actually both are tolerable (more Bernsie than Boers) when seperated but together it is so hard to listen to. I also agree Bernsie gets sucked into Boers' routine. It is so obvious Boers doens't even watch sports yet he amazingly knows everything that is going on.

tick53
03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
I think the station has gone down in general since they first hit the airwaves. First of all way too many commercials! I know it pays the bills, but come on. North is the biggest blowhole on the air, Murph is irritating, B&B are full of themselves for the most part, and Swika's gone. They were much better back when they were on 820.

spawn
03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I can handle B&B, as at least they have a brain cell or two. MJH are just a radio version of the Superfans SNL skit (hell, I don't think anyone realized that Harry should of been thrown out with the rest of the Loop staff back in the day.....) And I'm sorry, their humor gets lost on me, as its just 3 morons laughing over college level humor.

I agree completely. They're not as funny as they think they are...and Harry is the most annoying of the bunch. They are morons, and my drive home is much better without having to listen to their stupidity.

Frontman
03-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree completely. They're not as funny as they think they are...and Harry is the most annoying of the bunch. They are morons, and my drive home is much better without having to listen to their stupidity.

When I hear their promos, I listen objectively and wonder "Ok, why would I tune into sports talk to hear how GPS systems should be outlawed?"

:D:

Front

soxwin
03-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't really like 670. I only like to listen to Chris Rongey on Saturday and Hit and Run on Sunday. Sometimes Hit and Run can get too Cubs bias, though.

BainesHOF
03-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Boers and Bernstein's lack of self awareness of how intensively negative they are about seemingly everything is dumbfounding. And that they think they're smart simply by making fun of the dumb is just plain boring. It's the same act day after day.

SOXSINCE'70
03-10-2007, 05:40 PM
the station is unlistenable because of all the commercials.

And this is why I got a satellite radio in 2005.

PS- to all posters who advise purchasing an XM radio,
hold off until we see if the Sirius/XM merger goes through.

goon
03-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Boers and Bernstein's lack of self awareness of how intensively negative they are about seemingly everything is dumbfounding. And that they think they're smart simply by making fun of the dumb is just plain boring. It's the same act day after day.

Agreed. Listening to sports radio is almost pain for pleasure, even the "best" can get on my nerves pretty quickly. I don't mind Dan Patrick or Mike and Mike, though Greenberg is a tool. I can't wait until XM and Sirius merge, I need some baseball channels.

sullythered
03-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Sirius. The current Howard Stern show is the best radio ever. I do listen to B and B in the afternoon, though.