PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win The A.L. Central?

ajfan
03-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Yes, I know this has been done before. I just thought since ST has progressed, people may have changed their minds.:cool:

cheeses_h_rice
03-06-2007, 08:16 PM
The Tigers.

:duck:

chisoxmike
03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
The Tigers are still favorite to win the Central in my opinion. The Twins, no matter what, are always deadly, they will be there. The Sox will also be there in contention throughout. I don't about the Indians, I still think they are overrated. The Royals will finish in last place, but won't be as bad as they were the last two seasons.

ajfan
03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
The Tigers.

:duck:
Since you think it is the Tigers, do you think the Sox will win the Wild Card?

QCIASOXFAN
03-06-2007, 08:21 PM
I see the Royals making a serious push/possibly taking it.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Kittens. I doubt their pitching will be as good as last year, and they won't have the luck/magic (similar to White Sox '05 vs. '06), but I think their offense will be better.

oeo
03-06-2007, 08:24 PM
The Sox. They're better than they were last year. Bring back Buehrle, and a hell of a lot better bullpen, as well as additions such as Darin Erstad and Toby Hall, and we will improve by at least five games. Remember, this is a team that underachieved it's way to 90 wins last year...and IMO, it's a better overall team. Just because we lost an individual (Garcia), does not mean that we downgraded the team. It's unbelievable how many Sox fans are doubting this team; especially predicting the Tigers who we slapped around all year.

Kittens. I doubt their pitching will be as good as last year, and they won't have the luck/magic (similar to White Sox '05 vs. '06), but I think their offense will be better.

What makes you think that? They're still a unpatient team, with or without Gary Sheffield.

sox1970
03-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Tigers, but outside of KC, nothing would surprise me 1-4. There are four good teams in the AL Central.

If the Sox are in 3rd or 4th and and 10 games out at the break, they might start trading off guys and sucking for the rest of the year. That could make them a below .500 team this year. Obviously that is worst case scenario.

They also could get hot out of the blocks, get some career years, and win their second championship in three years. It's a big mystery this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

ajfan
03-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I agree with oeo. Why do people doubt us so much? This includes our own fans. There is one thing for sure. We WILL be better than 2006. This is assuming (I know, not godd to do), no one gets injured.:o:

oeo
03-06-2007, 08:38 PM
If the Sox are in 3rd or 4th and and 10 games out at the break, they might start trading off guys and sucking for the rest of the year. That could make them a below .500 team this year. Obviously that is worst case scenario.

They also could get hot out of the blocks, get some career years, and win their second championship in three years. It's a big mystery this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

No offense, but are you ****ing serious? Flashback to this time 2006, and I'll bet you were predicting the Sox to runaway with the division. Now, back to 2007, where the only change is we no longer have Freddy Garcia...with a better bullpen (biggest weakness in 2006), and a better bench (Hall > Widger and Alomar combined, offensively; and all signs point to Erstad being completely healthy), as well as Buehrle likely being back. You think this is a sub-.500 team?

The Tigers had the same career years we had in 2005. Their bullpen overachieved, Nate Robertson and Mike Maroth overachieved. Kenny Rogers isn't getting any younger, Bonderman is up and down. The only guy on that staff that I'm really afraid of is Verlander, and we blast him every time we see him (and all those innings last year may catch up to him). The Indians will be our toughest competition, mark my words.
1. Sox
2. Indians
3. Tigers
4. Twins
5. Royals

sox1970
03-06-2007, 08:47 PM
No offense, but are you ****ing serious? Flashback to this time 2006, and I'll bet you were predicting the Sox to runaway with the division.

I'll flashback to 2006, where this team went 34-43 the last 77 games, and had average to bad starting pitching for the better part of the last four months of the season. I do believe they are capable of bouncing back and having great seasons, but I think it's safe to say this season is an absolute crapshoot. There are four talented teams, each capable of winning the division. It going to come down to who gets hot, career years, and injuries. I said the Sox could end up under .500 if they start trading off guys at the deadline, and play rookies the last two months. If they kept the current roster together the whole year, they'll win at least 85.

roylestillman
03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
The fifth starter question for us still looms large, but considering that we really played below our talent last year, and still won 90 makes me believe we can still win the Central. I have to believe that the Politte/Cotts dual meltdown last year cost us at least six or seven games. If Buehrle gets back to just a career average year, and we get 10 wins out of the fifth starter, we're back to 96 or 97 wins.

Minnesota lost Radke and Liriano. The Tigers just were so charmed last year that they can't repeat it. The Indians could sneak up, but they have a long way to come from last year. KC continues to be MLB's farm tean

oeo
03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I'll flashback to 2006, where this team went 34-43 the last 77 games, and had average to bad starting pitching for the better part of the last four months of the season. I do believe they are capable of bouncing back and having great seasons, but I think it's safe to say this season is an absolute crapshoot. There are four talented teams, each capable of winning the division. It going to come down to who gets hot, career years, and injuries.

Yes, I already said, as have many other people that they underachieved last year. Whatever, I'll be laughing when every Sox fan is saying, "I knew it all along," again this year, like they said they were in 2005. This is a good team, and competes with the Indians for the best overall in the division (NOT the Tigers or Twins).

I said the Sox could end up under .500 if they start trading off guys at the deadline, and play rookies the last two months. If they kept the current roster together the whole year, they'll win at least 85.You were talking about possibly being 10 games back in the division at the break, which is hovering around .500.

cheeses_h_rice
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Since you think it is the Tigers, do you think the Sox will win the Wild Card?

No. I'm predicting third place for my beloved Sox this year. Just a hunch.

MarySwiss
03-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Sox.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-06-2007, 09:08 PM
White Sox - by a 2 game lead over the Tigers, 2 1/2 game lead over the Twins.

ondafarm
03-06-2007, 10:11 PM
White Sox by a solid five games.

HomeFish
03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
When all is said and done, the Minnesota Twins will be the 2007 AL Central Division Champions.

santo=dorf
03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
No. I'm predicting third place for my beloved Sox this year. Just a hunch.
Good. You did the same in 2005. :cool:

gobears1987
03-06-2007, 10:17 PM
When all is said and done, the Minnesota Twins will be the 2007 AL Central Division Champions.ROFLMAO!!!

Maybe if they had Liriano they'd have chance.

HomeFish
03-06-2007, 10:19 PM
ROFLMAO!!!

The Twins aren't a baseball team, they're a machine. One guy goes down, some other guy comes up out of nowhere from the minors and starts playing just as well.

If 2001 - 2004 taught us anything, that is to NEVER, EVER, EVER count out the Twins until the moment that they are mathematically eliminated.

chisoxmike
03-06-2007, 10:24 PM
ROFLMAO!!!

Wow. You apparently didn't watch seasons 2002-2004, 2006.

I'm not saying the Twins will win the divison, but they will be there until the very end. Anybody that counts the Twins out is a fool.

cheeses_h_rice
03-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Good. You did the same in 2005. :cool:

And I hope I'm equally as wrong this year. :cool:

PAPChiSox729
03-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Ummm... I will say the White Sox....

but I should add that I am buying into the Toons this year, too...

:(:

oeo
03-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Wow. You apparently didn't watch seasons 2002-2004, 2006.

I'm not saying the Twins will win the divison, but they will be there until the very end. Anybody that counts the Twins out is a fool.

And why did you leave out 2005? Everyone is making out the Twins to have some miracle season...miracles don't happen with Carlos Silva, Russ Ortiz, and Sidney Ponson in your rotation.

The Twins lost a lot from 2006 with Radke and Liriano...Liriano is irreplacable. Twins fans are living in a dream world if they think a replacement can come up (and I don't think they are...the only one's that are, are for some reason Sox fans). Their bullpen will not be as strong, their rotation will not be as strong, and with unbelievable years from scrubs like Punto and Bartlett, I have to think that their offense will not be as strong, either.

ShoelessJoeS
03-07-2007, 12:32 AM
1. Sox
2. Kittens
3. Toons
4. Twins
5. Who else but the Royals

WhiteSox5187
03-07-2007, 01:25 AM
It is impossible for me to look at the AL Central fairly, because I always have an arguement for the White Sox. So, I am going to pick the White Sox, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Tigers win either.

People keep thinking that the Tigers had a bunch of career years last year, I'm not buying that. The Tigers have a good young pitching staff and they'll be around for awhile, but the problem is that they never came close to piling up the number of innings they did in 2006. I think they're going to have the same problems the Sox did last year, meaning a good first half and then they'll fall apart after the All Star break. But they'll be able to slug their way into contention.

The Indians look good, their problem though is that bullpen. It's ancient.

The Twins? Woe unto anyone who underestimates them. They never die. But this is the WORST pitching staff that they've had in a long time.

The Royals are going to cause headaches for several teams and will wreak havoc upon teams like the Yankees and the Red Sox. They don't have a prayer, but they might be able to flirt with .500

Still, I'm crossing my fingers and picking the White Sox. People are overlooking us again, which is fine by me. Let them put that chip right back on our shoulders.

IndianWhiteSox
03-07-2007, 07:26 AM
The Sox if everything goes right will the division by 10 games:

1.) SOX
2.) TIGERS
3.) ROYALS
4.) TOONS
5.) TWINS

I'm sick of the damn Twins.

Murphy10
03-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Sox by 2 games over the tigers

1. Sox 98-64
2. Tigers 96-66
3. Indians 91-71
4. Twins 83-79
5. Royals 70-92

after this year there will be no doubt who has the best division in baseball!

MarySwiss
03-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Sox
Tribe
Twins
Tigers
Royals

Scottiehaswheels
03-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Since this is rapidly becoming a prediction thread.. here goes mine...

Sox 90-72
Indians/Tigers 89-73
Twins 77-85
Royals 73-89

downstairs
03-07-2007, 08:13 AM
No offense, but are you ****ing serious? Flashback to this time 2006, and I'll bet you were predicting the Sox to runaway with the division. Now, back to 2007, where the only change is we no longer have Freddy Garcia...with a better bullpen (biggest weakness in 2006), and a better bench (Hall > Widger and Alomar combined, offensively; and all signs point to Erstad being completely healthy), as well as Buehrle likely being back. You think this is a sub-.500 team?

You missed his point. If the Sox are bad enough in this tough division, its *possible* that, at some point, the team gives up on 2006 and plans for 2007 and beyond. By giving up (trading players for young players), they could fall to .500.

If they're in a dead heat all year- no, they won't be .500.

D. TODD
03-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Much as in 05, I can see the Sox finishing anywhere from 4th to cruising to the crown. There is no outright favorite coming into opening day.

1. Sox
2.Indians
3.Tigers
4.Twins
5.Royals

That's what I would like to see at least!:D:

oeo
03-07-2007, 09:34 AM
You missed his point. If the Sox are bad enough in this tough division, its *possible* that, at some point, the team gives up on 2006 and plans for 2007 and beyond. By giving up (trading players for young players), they could fall to .500.

If they're in a dead heat all year- no, they won't be .500.

No, I'm really not missing the point. I responded to his next post later. He made it sound like there is a possibility that the Sox would be 10 games back in the division, so we would have to make changes for the future. 10 games back puts us at or around .500...so yes, he does think that this team could be only a .500 team. If they're only a .500 team at the break, and we make trades for the future, we're not going to be a .500 team, we'll probably be looking at fighting the Royals for last place.

It's not going to happen, though. Look at that team and you've got to be kidding me that it's only a .500 ballclub. Some are acting as if we made major changes over the offseason...the only major change we made was drastically improving the bullpen.

No one that has predicted the Sox to finish third has yet to say why they think so. Why are we going to lose 5+ games off of 2006? Is it because we improved our bullpen? Got a better backup catcher? Have insurance for Pods/Anderson? Or maybe it's that Buehrle is coming off of his worst season as a pro and is bound to improve upon that? Maybe that Vazquez made huge steps to becoming an ace pitcher at the end of last year? Or Contreras coming in healthy after an injury-plagued second half? Or could it be that we have 3+ options for our 5th starter, each one of which can be at least a serviceable 5th starter?

I just don't get it; please explain.

PKalltheway
03-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I think the Tigers will probably win the division this year, considering that they're the defending AL champions. I'd say the Sox finish in second. Whether or not they win the Wild Card, remains to be determined. I love the Sox but, the AL is pretty tough. I'd say 93-95 wins puts the Sox into the playoffs.

I do not buy the Indians at all. Plus, don't ever count out the Twins.

oeo
03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
I think the Tigers will probably win the division this year, considering that they're the defending AL champions. I'd say the Sox finish in second. Whether or not they win the Wild Card, remains to be determined. I love the Sox but, the AL is pretty tough. I'd say 93-95 wins puts the Sox into the playoffs.

I do not buy the Indians at all. Plus, don't ever count out the Twins.

The Indians have a more potent offense than both the Twins and the Tigers, and a very good rotation. Their offense and rotation are both much better than the Twins.

I'll count out the Twins...their team blows. They're not the same team pre-2005, and they're not the same team as 2006. Again, it will be the Sox and Indians fighting for the division, after both had pretty off years last year.

soxfan13
03-07-2007, 09:50 AM
The Sox. They're better than they were last year. Bring back Buehrle, and a hell of a lot better bullpen, as well as additions such as Darin Erstad and Toby Hall, and we will improve by at least five games. Remember, this is a team that underachieved it's way to 90 wins last year...and IMO, it's a better overall team. Just because we lost an individual (Garcia), does not mean that we downgraded the team. It's unbelievable how many Sox fans are doubting this team; especially predicting the Tigers who we slapped around all year.

What makes you think that? They're still a unpatient team, with or without Gary Sheffield.

God I hate agreeing with you:wink:

Thome25
03-07-2007, 10:02 AM
As much as it pains me to write this, I think the Tigers should be the favorite to win the division in 2007. It'll be a close race though with the Sox and Indians not far behind challenging for the division.

mccoydp
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Those damned, pesky Twinkies.

oeo
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
As much as it pains me to write this, I think the Tigers should be the favorite to win the division in 2007. It'll be a close race though with the Sox and Indians not far behind challenging for the division.

Excuse me, but WHY?! No one is giving any reasoning as to why they don't think the Sox can win the division. The Tigers had a lot of things going right for them last year. It was almost like they were blessed from the heavens.

Indians and Sox both have better overall teams.

PaulDrake
03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't believe the Tigers will be as good as last year and I don't think the Royals will end up in last place. I also agree with those who say never count out the Twins. They just seem to win no matter what. Right now, I'm not that optimistic about the Sox, but will be watching closely this spring to see if they can change my mind. I'm done equivocating for the moment.

soxinem1
03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
It's all a matter of things falling into place, and that holds true for everyone.

Very quiety, KC has put together a very nice little lineup. But they need some guys to step up and pitch.

Whichever team can take the majic of 2005 and 2006's winners will be the one, though don't forget, the Tigers did not win the division in 2006. DET season, however, was special just like the 2005 White Sox.

I say Sox, Tigers, Indians, Twins, Royals.

kraut83
03-07-2007, 11:04 AM
The Tigers played out of their minds in the first half last year, and everything was breaking right for them. They were very mortal for the majority of the second half.

They are still a very good team, but there are a lot of "if's" with them: Will Rogers duplicate what he did last year? Will Granderson be an effective leadoff man? Will they play well as the favorites? Also, IMO after Rogers, Verlander & Bonderman their rotation is a question mark.

The Sox are the best team in the division. Even a marginal improvement from the rotation wins the division:

Sox
Toons
Tigers
Twins
Royals

AuroraSoxFan
03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I will keep it short and simple. Thread question was who will win the AL Central??

Answer is White Sox. Pen is improved big time. Buerhle, Javy, and Jose should all do a bit better than last year. Garland should be consistent with where he has been the last few years. Same position players.

Royals, too young, not at the talent level to compete for this division (I'd predict them 1st or 2nd if they were in the NL)

CLE, good lineup, pen is archaic
MN, down 2 starters, M & M boys may slip a bit
DET, tough team, but SP almost has to slip a bit from 06

ma-gaga
03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
C'mon. Where's the poll???
oh. The thread starter is already banned... Sweet.

Pose this question on WSI, and gee, I wonder who's gonna dominate?

1. Royals, 98-64. Meche wins the Cy Young award and Gordon is rookie of the year and compared favorably to George Brett.
2. who cares
3. who cares
4. who cares
5. who cares

:gulp:do I need teal?

I want Mags back
03-07-2007, 11:48 AM
tigers. everyone from last year, aged a year for perfection + Sheffield. sounds unstopable to me

Other Mike
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
The Tigers' pitching depth is absolutely astounding.

The guys fighting it out for the last bullpen (Grilli/Minor) spot would be a starter for more than half the teams in all of MLB.

WhiteSox5187
03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
No, I'm really not missing the point. I responded to his next post later. He made it sound like there is a possibility that the Sox would be 10 games back in the division, so we would have to make changes for the future. 10 games back puts us at or around .500...so yes, he does think that this team could be only a .500 team. If they're only a .500 team at the break, and we make trades for the future, we're not going to be a .500 team, we'll probably be looking at fighting the Royals for last place.

It's not going to happen, though. Look at that team and you've got to be kidding me that it's only a .500 ballclub. Some are acting as if we made major changes over the offseason...the only major change we made was drastically improving the bullpen.

No one that has predicted the Sox to finish third has yet to say why they think so. Why are we going to lose 5+ games off of 2006? Is it because we improved our bullpen? Got a better backup catcher? Have insurance for Pods/Anderson? Or maybe it's that Buehrle is coming off of his worst season as a pro and is bound to improve upon that? Maybe that Vazquez made huge steps to becoming an ace pitcher at the end of last year? Or Contreras coming in healthy after an injury-plagued second half? Or could it be that we have 3+ options for our 5th starter, each one of which can be at least a serviceable 5th starter?

I just don't get it; please explain.
Here's how the Sox could finish in third or below: Buerhle doesn't rebound, he wouldn't be the first guy to totally lose his stuff at a young age. Javy continues to be incapable of going beyond the fifth inning and our bullpen gets taxed. The fifth spot in our rotation becomes the blackhole it once was. And then finally, INJURIES. But injuries can destroy any team.

Look, there are a LOT of good teams in this division. The Tigers weren't some flash in the pan team. They have very good and very young pitching. They're going to be sticking around for awhile. The Indians look good this year too. This isn't going to be a walk in the park for any team. So it's quite possible that the Sox could win 89 games this year and finish in third. It's also just as possible that guys like Buerhle, Javy and Floyd totally tank and we struggle out of the gate and never really catch up. So I woudln't totally write off the possibility of a third place finish.

tstrike2000
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Sox
Tribe
Twins
Tigers
Royals

Agreed, with a toss up for third place.

oeo
03-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Pose this question on WSI, and gee, I wonder who's gonna dominate?

The Tigers, for some reason. :?:

areilly
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Excuse me, but WHY?! No one is giving any reasoning as to why they don't think the Sox can win the division.

The Sox are banking on a CF with a major-league batting average of .221

The Sox' leadoff man hasn't been nearly as good at what he does best since getting hurt in 2005.

The Sox' 2006 #5 starter had a 4.84 ERA and got promoted.

The Sox' bullpen is stocked with talent unproven at the major-league level.

Jim Thome is a year older. Joe Crede's back is still a question mark. Mark Buerhle went missing in June. Jose Contreras has what, 8 good pitching months to his name?

I wouldn't bank on those types of question marks. I also think predicting baseball seasons is a giant waste of time and a stupid discussion to even have in the first place. Shame on me for participating in this thread.

So many people here are quick to look at what so-and-so did for two months or for a handful of starts, and you just can't do that. You're not building a team around that one game where BA hit 2 homers off Felix Hernandez, or those couple months where Vazquez didn't get shelled, or that one inning where Nick Massett struck out two guys.

I don't think the Sox can win the division. Would I like them to? Absolutely. Will I be saying "I told you all along" if it happens? No. But for the record, I was convinced the Twins would run away with it in 2005.

areilly
03-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Some are acting as if we made major changes over the offseason...the only major change we made was drastically improving the bullpen.

Yeah, I guess going from "total piece of ****" to "might be sort of good" IS a drastic improvement.

:rolleyes:

sox1970
03-07-2007, 01:03 PM

The Sox' leadoff man hasn't been nearly as good at what he does best since getting hurt in 2005.

The Sox' 2006 #5 starter had a 4.84 ERA and got promoted.

The Sox' bullpen is stocked with talent unproven at the major-league level.

Jim Thome is a year older. Joe Crede's back is still a question mark. Mark Buerhle went missing in June. Jose Contreras has what, 8 good pitching months to his name?

I wouldn't bank on those types of question marks. I also think predicting baseball seasons is a giant waste of time and a stupid discussion to even have in the first place. Shame on me for participating in this thread.

So many people here are quick to look at what so-and-so did for two months or for a handful of starts, and you just can't do that. You're not building a team around that one game where BA hit 2 homers off Felix Hernandez, or those couple months where Vazquez didn't get shelled, or that one inning where Nick Massett struck out two guys.

I don't think the Sox can win the division. Would I like them to? Absolutely. Will I be saying "I told you all along" if it happens? No. But for the record, I was convinced the Twins would run away with it in 2005.

Great post.

oeo
03-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Oh, a rookie that struggles, I've never seen that before. If offense is our biggest problem, I'll be ecstatic.

The Sox' leadoff man hasn't been nearly as good at what he does best since getting hurt in 2005.You're right, he's a question mark, but we also have Pablo and now Erstad as backup plans. Erstad is going to play a bigger role on this team than most think.

The Sox' 2006 #5 starter had a 4.84 ERA and got promoted.And in his last 12 starts, that was 3.86. Nobody remembers that, though, do they? Nope, they were too busy fawning over El Duque who gave us a much worse season in 2005.

The Sox' bullpen is stocked with talent unproven at the major-league level.Matt Thornton was unproven. Bobby Jenks was unproven...and then took us to a championship in his first major league season. If the Sox can do anything, it's evaluate unproven/underachieving pitching talent. I have full faith that guys with very good arms can get the job done and possibly become the best bullpen in the league.

Jim Thome is a year older. Joe Crede's back is still a question mark. Mark Buerhle went missing in June. Jose Contreras has what, 8 good pitching months to his name?Jim Thome is in the best shape of his life. Joe Crede says his back feels the best it has in a long time. Buehrle is a top lefty that had an off year. Contreras was plagued with injuries in the second half of last year.

I wouldn't bank on those types of question marks. I also think predicting baseball seasons is a giant waste of time and a stupid discussion to even have in the first place. Shame on me for participating in this thread.But you will bank on the Tigers question marks? How about Kenny Rogers...to quote you, "he's a year older." How about Nate Robertson? Or Curtis Granderson? Or Brandon Inge? These are all guys that had great first halfs. Or how about losing their top lefty in the bullpen? Oh, and Todd Jones is "a year older" too.

A lot of people forget that the Tigers were less than stellar in the second half last year. The Sox are better than them, and they showed it throughout the year last year.

Hitmen77
03-07-2007, 01:36 PM

Great post.

:thud:

Shoot, I guess I won't even bother watching any games this season since the Sox have been eliminated in March. Hey, the Sox can finish 1st and, yes, they can also end up as low as 4th in this tough division. Let's show at least a little optimism about our team.

IMO, the Sox really have the potential of having an outstanding team this year. Unlike some of you guys, i'm at least looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

sox1970
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
:thud:

Shoot, I guess I won't even bother watching any games this season since the Sox have been eliminated in March. Hey, the Sox can finish 1st and, yes, they can also end up as low as 4th in this tough division. Let's show at least a little optimism about our team.

IMO, the Sox really have the potential of having an outstanding team this year. Unlike some of you guys, i'm at least looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Way to take it out of context.

areilly
03-07-2007, 01:50 PM
But you will bank on the Tigers question marks? How about Kenny Rogers...to quote you, "he's a year older." How about Nate Robertson? Or Curtis Granderson? Or Brandon Inge? These are all guys that had great first halfs. Or how about losing their top lefty in the bullpen? Oh, and Todd Jones is "a year older" too.

A lot of people forget that the Tigers were less than stellar in the second half last year. The Sox are better than them, and they showed it throughout the year last year.

First of all, I never picked the Tigers, because, as I stated in the very post you quoted, I think the whole concept is stupid:

I also think predicting baseball seasons is a giant waste of time and a stupid discussion to even have in the first place. Shame on me for participating in this thread.

Second, I am not rooting against the Sox. I'm just very skeptical about their chances, the same way I am every year (except 2004 and 2006, and look how those turned out). Why do people always equate a lack of blind faith with treason?

oeo
03-07-2007, 02:00 PM
First of all, I never picked the Tigers, because, as I stated in the very post you quoted, I think the whole concept is stupid:

The point of my post was that every team has question marks, not just the Sox. So picking and choosing weaknesses is a pretty awful reason to not pick a team because you could that for every team. Every team in major league baseball has weaknesses, and most of them have a lot more than the Sox...so why can you go ahead and pick the weaknesses of the Sox and not do the same for every other team in the division?

soxfan13
03-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Second, I am not rooting against the Sox. I'm just very skeptical about their chances, the same way I am every year (except 2004 and 2006, and look how those turned out). Why do people always equate a lack of blind faith with treason?

Off with your head your treasonist bastard:wink: (i think i mad up the word treasonist)

champagne030
03-07-2007, 02:13 PM

Apparently the Sox weren't better last season. This just in: The White Sox finished behind the Tigers last season.

Is it likely that MB will continue his slide from 06, JC will continue with nagging injuries limiting his effectiveness, JV will have another two month stretch of being the 5th inning brain fart, the 5th starter goes back to 2004 blackhole days?

Of course it's not likely all will happen or even most, but if one happens then it's likely the Sox will finish out of 1st. It doesn't seem unreasonable that any one of the above could happen. I'll agree it also doesn't seem unreasonable that none of the above will occur, but thinking the Sox are clear favorites for the division is loading up on the Kool-Aid.

If our top 3 starters return to '05 form, JV improves on last season, the 5th starter is serviceable and the 4-6 spots in the bullpen can throw strikes, we'll be in good position to challenge for the division.

oeo
03-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Apparently the Sox weren't better last season. This just in: The White Sox finished behind the Tigers last season.

Roll your eyes all you want, the Sox kicked the Tigers' ass all year long.

areilly
03-07-2007, 02:43 PM
The point of my post was that every team has question marks, not just the Sox. So picking and choosing weaknesses is a pretty awful reason to not pick a team because you could that for every team. Every team in major league baseball has weaknesses, and most of them have a lot more than the Sox...so why can you go ahead and pick the weaknesses of the Sox and not do the same for every other team in the division?

Because I don't watch 100+ Tigers, Indians, Twins or Royals games a year, or at least not enough to give anything better than a semi-informed assessment.

Because I didn't watch any of their leadoff hitters strike out looking one too many times last year.

Because I don't wonder if any of their 3B's are a back problem away from a 50-game season.

Because I don't see any of them have a guaranteed 5-inning outing waiting at the back end of the rotation.

Because I see a good Sox team, but not one that should be a lock to take the division. With the exception of Hall, I don't see improvements to this team...just changes and tweaks, and I'm not pinning my hopes for the next six months to tweaks.

oeo
03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Because I don't watch 100+ Tigers, Indians, Twins or Royals games a year, or at least not enough to give anything better than a semi-informed assessment.

Because I didn't watch any of their leadoff hitters strike out looking one too many times last year.

Because I don't wonder if any of their 3B's are a back problem away from a 50-game season.

Because I don't see any of them have a guaranteed 5-inning outing waiting at the back end of the rotation.

Because I see a good Sox team, but not one that should be a lock to take the division. With the exception of Hall, I don't see improvements to this team...just changes and tweaks, and I'm not pinning my hopes for the next six months to tweaks.

If you don't know about the other teams then why the hell are you predicting them to finish ahead of the Sox? That makes no sense.

And next time, one paragraph will do.

areilly
03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Roll your eyes all you want, the Sox kicked the Tigers' ass all year long.

Yes, and the Indians kicked the Sox' ass all year long. It's not just about the Sox being able to beat one team.

PaulDrake
03-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Why do people always equate a lack of blind faith with treason? I wonder the same thing often.

tick53
03-08-2007, 09:57 AM
White Sox
Tigers
Twins
Indians
Royals

jabrch
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM

Really? Detroit's leadoff hitter had 174Ks. Cleveland's had 153 Ks.

Really? Nick Punto and Andy Marte can't hold Crede's jock even if he only plays 50 games.

Really? That "5-inning outing" guy who you are talking about averages 215 IP. Paul Byrd? Ramon Ortiz? Baker/Garza/Bonser? Maroth only had 50 IP last year. Bonderman had his career high last year, but isn't a lock for 200.

With the exception of Hall, I don't see improvements to this team...just changes and tweaks, and I'm not pinning my hopes for the next six months to tweaks.

Really? Then you aren't looking at the bullpen.

Really? I don't think you have a clue. This is a 90 win team last year that got stronger.

PaulDrake
03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
This is a 90 win team last year that got stronger. Last year it looked like a 99 game winner and World Champ that got stronger. It didn't turn out to be the case. The Sox have a lot of ifs and maybes, and almost all of them need to turn out the way we want them to.

vegyrex
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Sox!
Tigers
Twins
Indians
Royals

You can bet your house on it. :redneck

oeo
03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Yes, and the Indians kicked the Sox' ass all year long. It's not just about the Sox being able to beat one team.

And I keep saying that the Indians are at the top of the division with the Sox. :rolleyes: