PDA

View Full Version : I guess we're the evil empire now?

HotelWhiteSox
03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Drving in the afternoon, I had the radio on the Loop. First they commented on how 13,000 PLUS showed up to a Spring Training game (funny, everyone says this, although I think I trust whitesox.com with 12,900. Yay for rounding up for the Cubbies!)

Then they tried to describe the matchup, and said, 'let me just describe it to you like this, the White Sox (darth vader music starts playing), vs the Cubs (some jolly like fairy tale music). I don't care, keep the lovable loser look, polish the turd any way you want, they're still a bunch of losers. Nice of you to not mention the score though?

Palehose Pete
03-05-2007, 01:35 PM
If being called an "evil empire" is the price for winning, I suppose that I'm willing to pay it.

Nevertheless, I would characterize a team that spends ridiculous amounts of money to buy talent as an "evil empire." Jim Hendry, I'm looking at you...

Scottiehaswheels
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
If being called an "evil empire" is the price for winning, I suppose that I'm willing to pay it.

Nevertheless, I would characterize a team that spends ridiculous amounts of money to buy "talent" as an "evil empire." Jim Hendry, I'm looking at you...Fixed it for ya

Palehose Pete
03-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks. :D:

Chicken Dinner
03-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Being an evil empire is when you spend ridiculous amounts of money to try to buy a World Series. We're not even close.

soxwon
03-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Drving in the afternoon, I had the radio on the Loop. First they commented on how 13,000 PLUS showed up to a Spring Training game (funny, everyone says this, although I think I trust whitesox.com with 12,900. Yay for rounding up for the Cubbies!)

Then they tried to describe the matchup, and said, 'let me just describe it to you like this, the White Sox (darth vader music starts playing), vs the Cubs (some jolly like fairy tale music). I don't care, keep the lovable loser look, polish the turd any way you want, they're still a bunch of losers. Nice of you to not mention the score though?

the cubs started 7 starters for the game
the sox had 3
And we still killed em.

areilly
03-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Being an evil empire is when you spend ridiculous amounts of money to try to buy a World Series. We're not even close.

Empire generally means you've conquered something.

I'd put the Cubs in more the "Evil Loudmouth" category.

ondafarm
03-05-2007, 05:17 PM
The two teams are put together for different purposes. The Sox are built to win playoff series and win the World Series. The Cubs are built to be exciting, win enough games to get to the playoffs and pull a lawn chair. They are in the weakest division in baseball and they aren't built to compete agianst top-flight teams. Example, Soriano. He's an exciting guy to watch, he'll hit the ball, he'll run, he'll even make a few sensational looking plays. Problem is, he's not a winning ballplayer. Sensational fielding plays typically mean you were caught out of position. If you play outfield deep enough, you might be able to steal a few homerun balls (maybe not off the ivy, but elsewhere.) Unfortunately, to play that deep means a lot of balls will drop in front of you. Those extra hits lead to extra runs so instead of chasing Web-gems, you should be making the routine plays. Winning players do. Soriano is exciting, but if you want real winning players, he's not on your list. He'll put fans in the seats and keep Flubs tickets an exciting option. Sorry, I'd rather have the winning White Sox than the exciting Flubs.

palehozenychicty
03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
The two teams are put together for different purposes. The Sox are built to win playoff series and win the World Series. The Cubs are built to be exciting, win enough games to get to the playoffs and pull a lawn chair. They are in the weakest division in baseball and they aren't built to compete agianst top-flight teams. Example, Soriano. He's an exciting guy to watch, he'll hit the ball, he'll run, he'll even make a few sensational looking plays. Problem is, he's not a winning ballplayer. Sensational fielding plays typically mean you were caught out of position. If you play outfield deep enough, you might be able to steal a few homerun balls (maybe not off the ivy, but elsewhere.) Unfortunately, to play that deep means a lot of balls will drop in front of you. Those extra hits lead to extra runs so instead of chasing Web-gems, you should be making the routine plays. Winning players do. Soriano is exciting, but if you want real winning players, he's not on your list. He'll put fans in the seats and keep Flubs tickets an exciting option. Sorry, I'd rather have the winning White Sox than the losing Flubs.

You could call this POTW, but it's stating the obvious reasons why we are White Sox fans. We love the game.

rdivaldi
03-05-2007, 08:23 PM
White Sox (darth vader music starts playing),

But when you think about it, Darth Vader is the true hero of the Star Wars saga. I guess the White Sox are Chicago's real heroes...

SOXPHILE
03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
One thing I always remember hearing about Soriano, right up until he signed with the Dumb Blue Ones was that he is kind of a bad guy. He's a very good hitter. Everyone knows that. But I just find it interesting that he is now on his 4th team in just the last few years. He had a bit of a soap opera going on with the Nationals the last couple of years, if I remember correctly- threathing to not go to his outfield position if the manager penciled him in there. I also remember hearing some not so flattering things about him while he was with the Yankees, who couldn't wait to get rid of him, and the Rangers. Now he comes to Team Tribune, and all of a sudden, he's this wonderful, micracle working player who will lead them to the promised land. Again, he's a very good player, (prone to the occasional strikeout), but I don't believe he is the one to lead ANY team, least of all Team Tribune, to the World Series.

DumpJerry
03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Soriano is a two tool player. A very wealthy two tool player, but nonetheless, two tools.

ondafarm
03-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Soriano is a two tool player. A very wealthy two tool player, but nonetheless, two tools.

I have nothing against Soriano. He's a physically very gifted player. He comes to hit and if somebody offered me enough money that I could buy my homeland, it wouldn't take me more than a heartbeat to sign the contract. I don't blame him at all. And he is an exciting guy. He can steal bases, he can make sensational looking plays and he hits with power and speed. He may break the Flubs record for triples, whatever that is.

Unfortunately, he's fallen in love with flash. So did I when I played infield. I'd make a spectacular play diving to my left and cutting a guy down who thought he'd be at third when the ball came back to the infield. The next inning I'd drop a pop-up or boot an easy grounder.

For Soriano he's moved to the outfield where more pure athleticism (well speed) comes into play and the coaches will position you more. For me, the Dragons made me a catcher. At 182 cm tall, 100 kg and pretty broad shouldered (I am from Chicago) it worked well enough. For Soriano, the chance to display his skills and win a few ball games will be great. For the Flubs it will keep people excited and coming to their ballyard.

Frater Perdurabo
03-06-2007, 06:09 AM

He's a DH with speed. He's also a tool. And they're playing him in CF and wasting his power batting behind the pitcher! My friend, who is a Cub fan, tells me that he'll get lots of at-bats with a runner on second and one out, because Piniella will have the pitcher sacrifice to advance the runner, so Soriano will get as many RBI opportunities as if he batted in the middle of the order. I guess he expects that the Cubs will bat their best OBP guy eighth!
:rolling:

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-06-2007, 07:12 AM
But when you think about it, Darth Vader is the true hero of the Star Wars saga. I guess the White Sox are Chicago's real heroes...

"whooooo...........cuzzhhhhhhh.....black is the color of heroes."

http://www.millers-rentals.com/DARTH%20VADER.jpg

He gone
03-06-2007, 12:19 PM
the cubs started 7 starters for the game
the sox had 3
And we still killed em.

Yeah, the Sox had 3 and 1 of them was Brian Anderson :redneck

minutia
03-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Don't forget while being hooked up to a defibrulator (sp).
Sorry, I don't mean to sound bitter but I could not resist.

minutia
03-06-2007, 02:16 PM
He's a DH with speed.
I could not agree with you more. I work with a guy that thinks he is going to be the best centerfielder ever. I told him they had better hope the NL adopts a DH because as he ages running around CF is not going to work out so well. And if memory serves they already had a homerun hero in Sammy Sosa and that worked out so well for them.

SBSoxFan
03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
He's a DH with speed. He's also a tool. And they're playing him in CF and wasting his power batting behind the pitcher! My friend, who is a Cub fan, tells me that he'll get lots of at-bats with a runner on second and one out, because Piniella will have the pitcher sacrifice to advance the runner, so Soriano will get as many RBI opportunities as if he batted in the middle of the order. I guess he expects that the Cubs will bat their best OBP guy eighth!

I heard a stat on AM1000 (or 670) yesterday afternoon. They said the #1 batter hits with the bases empty 66% of the time. I think this was just in the NL. They told another stat, and I forget the exact numbers, but the #4 batter hits with men on base about twice as often as the #1 batter in the lineup. I believe all this was preceded by the guests claim that Soriano is being wasted batting lead off.

VenturaFan23
03-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey if Spaceballs taught us anything, it's this.....

http://www.thatsstupid.net/pie/images/Dark_Helmet.jpg
"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

TheVulture
03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
What about spending ridiculous amounts of money to win more than 66 games a year?