PDA

View Full Version : White Sox scouting Pavano

gr8mexico
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
rotoworld.com
The Braves, Mets and White Sox had scouts watching Carl Pavano's spring debut Sunday against the Phillies.:?:

spiffie
03-05-2007, 12:30 PM
rotoworld.com
The Braves, Mets and White Sox had scouts watching Carl Pavano's spring debut Sunday against the Phillies.:?:
If anyone could fix Pavano and bring him to his true potential, it's Coop!

HotelWhiteSox
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Oh geez. I don't know if there's a ton to read into this though, scouts gotta earn their money somehow right?

veeter
03-05-2007, 01:16 PM
I know they liked Pavano, and may have made a play for him, with him choosing the Yanks. But after the arm problems, I don't see it.

Foulke You
03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it. Contending teams scout pitchers that could potentially be on the trading block at mid season. A pitcher who might be in the last year of his contract, a pitcher who is on the "outs" in a certain city, etc. A mid-season deal like the one that brought Freddy Garcia to the White Sox in '04 doesn't materialize overnight. They were probably scouting Freddy and several other pitchers in a similar situation months before the deal went down. Does it mean the Sox have some interest in Pavano? Possibly...but if you listed every pitcher the Sox have scouts watching, you'd have a list a mile long.

nodiggity59
03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it. Contending teams scout pitchers that could potentially be on the trading block at mid season. A pitcher who might be in the last year of his contract, a pitcher who is on the "outs" in a certain city, etc. A mid-season deal like the one that brought Freddy Garcia to the White Sox in '04 doesn't materialize overnight. They were probably scouting Freddy and several other pitchers in a similar situation months before the deal went down. Does it mean the Sox have some interest in Pavano? Possibly...but if you listed every pitcher the Sox have scouts watching, you'd have a list a mile long.

Exactly. The Sox do have intersest in Pavano. We've been linked to him for too long now. But that doesn't mean for a second that Haeger, Floyd, etc. will not start the season as the 5th man. We'll look at guys like Pavano for potential mid season deals.

MsSoxVixen22
03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
rotoworld.com

Is it just me or does Pavano look like a young Jose Contreras?

stacksedwards
03-05-2007, 02:26 PM

No, its just you. :D:

tick53
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
If anyone could fix Pavano and bring him to his true potential, it's Coop!

Coop's the man! That's why I have confidence in the pitchers we've acquired and that why Big Stein wanted Coop to go to his team.:smile:

tick53
03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
rotoworld.com

"I kept telling John Kennedy, it's Cuba, not Cuber.:D:

FedEx227
03-05-2007, 10:33 PM

Which part? To me he looks like a guy who had one great 2003 season and has done absolutely nothing since then, or even before then.

chaerulez
03-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Which part? To me he looks like a guy who had one great 2003 season and has done absolutely nothing since then, or even before then.

Exactly. Carl Pavano sucks. His own teammates are questioning if he even has any toughness at all to just go out and play. This is a guy that's more fit for the Cubs. I'm sorry I don't believe that Don Cooper can fix every pitcher in MLB.

getonbckthr
03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
How Fields is looking so far if the Yankees told us a easier way to get Arod would be Arod/Pavano/cash for Crede and a prospect or 2 I would jump at it.

ilsox7
03-05-2007, 11:27 PM
How Fields is looking so far if the Yankees told us a easier way to get Arod would be Arod/Pavano/cash for Crede and a prospect or 2 I would jump at it.

And you'd be dreaming.

RadioheadRocks
03-06-2007, 03:51 AM
And (like before a certain NLCS game in 2003) I'll bet Mark Suppelsa is STILL wondering who "this Pavano guy" is. :D:

nevr say dye sox
03-06-2007, 08:36 AM
I read on Fox Sports hot rumors that the White Sox had scouts in Tampa watching Carl Pavano pitch. Yankees's are looking to dump him and the 22 mil left on his contract. Do you think there is any interest? What are your opinions on this move if it transpired?

Scottiehaswheels
03-06-2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84908

gobears1987
03-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Deep pink that one please.

soxinem1
03-06-2007, 09:40 AM

Sounds like Contreras second half of 2005........

soxfanatlanta
03-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Let's hope the Pavano scenario is a Plan E, F, or X. I'd hate to see that guy in the 5 spot.

soxtalker
03-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Well, I don't know about the rotoworld source, but I saw this a day or two ago at mlbtraderumors.com, which, in turn, referenced an article (http://www.nypost.com/seven/03052007/sports/yankees/carl_takes_a_sunday_drive_yankees_george_king.htm) in the NYPost. Now, the NYPost writer implied that there might be interest in Pavano, but even he just phrased it that the Sox and a couple of other teams had scouts at the game. So, was it Pavano that that they were scouting? Maybe. Maybe there were other players.

gr8mexico
03-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I read on Fox Sports hot rumors that the White Sox had scouts in Tampa watching Carl Pavano pitch. Yankees's are looking to dump him and the 22 mil left on his contract. Do you think there is any interest? What are your opinions on this move if it transpired?
Do some research before you post

gr8mexico
03-06-2007, 11:24 AM
The Sox should be paying attention to Alexis Rios of the Blue Jays that guy is going to be a superstar. Instead of this scrub

Jjav829
03-06-2007, 11:26 AM

I think you're missing the joke. The original poster has a picture in his sig of a young Jose Contreras, hence that comment.

At least that's how I took MsSoxVixen's post. :smile:

As for Pavano, if the Yankees want to pick up all of his remaining salary and give him to us for some crap prospect, sure, I'd take him. But there's no way they'd do that and I wouldn't give up anything to get Pavano or pay any significant amount of that contract.

Scottiehaswheels
03-06-2007, 11:29 AM
I think you're missing the joke. The original poster has a picture in his sig of a young Jose Contreras, hence that comment.

I don't think it was a joke... I think she mistook that sig as a photo of Pavano?:dunno:

FedEx227
03-06-2007, 11:30 AM

Oh okay, my fault then...

but then.

Sounds like Contreras second half of 2005........

And the first half of 2006, and his years in Cuba.

Pavano has none of that. He has ONE season.

Take out Pavano's best year (2004) and he's 43-56 with a 4.78 ERA.

Take out Jose's (2005) and he's 33-20 with a 4.35 ERA.

I want Mags back
03-06-2007, 11:35 AM

and either way, rumors go to what's the score. only facts go in the clubhouse

chaerulez
03-06-2007, 03:57 PM
The Sox should be paying attention to Alexis Rios of the Blue Jays that guy is going to be a superstar. Instead of this scrub

Uh, people already know about Alex Rios. No way the Blue Jays trade him unless they get a marquee player in return.

MsSoxVixen22
03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't think it was a joke... I think she mistook that sig as a photo of Pavano?:dunno:

Sorry for all the confusion everyone. When I saw the picture of Pavano, I thought he looked like a young Contreras, I'm talking facial features. Sorry again everyone. :redface:

soxinem1
03-06-2007, 05:49 PM

As for Pavano, if the Yankees want to pick up all of his remaining salary and give him to us for some crap prospect, sure, I'd take him. But there's no way they'd do that and I wouldn't give up anything to get Pavano or pay any significant amount of that contract.

What exactly is a 'Crap Prospect'? If one is even a mild prospect, it usually means they show some sort of promise, right?:rolleyes:

Jjav829
03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
What exactly is a 'Crap Prospect'? If one is even a mild prospect, it usually means they show some sort of promise, right?:rolleyes:

Well, if you want to nitpick over semantics, yes, the word prospect applies some sort of potential. But I think you know what I meant...:rolleyes:

IndianWhiteSox
03-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Well what us SOX fans have to understand, is that we have the best trainer and pitching coach in baseball, and we should be grateful for that. Now that being said, he's a bust even if he's healthy and Pavano's not the type of pitcher that Coop or KW would want to bring in.

russ99
03-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Well what us SOX fans have to understand, is that we have the best trainer and pitching coach in baseball, and we should be grateful for that. Now that being said, he's a bust even if he's healthy and Pavano's not the type of pitcher that Coop or KW would want to bring in.

Seriously, there's no way the Sox get Pavano's contract without dumping one back to the Yankees in return. Mr. Buehrle, I'm looking in your general direction...

IndianWhiteSox
03-07-2007, 10:03 AM

Seriously, there's no way the Sox get Pavano's contract without dumping one back to the Yankees in return. Mr. Buehrle, I'm looking in your general direction...

Yes I'm very aware of that, that is why I said the words in the bold. But wait,
Pavano was a favorite of Ozzie back with the Marlins in 2003 so who knows?

Viva Medias B's
03-09-2007, 07:50 PM
In its latest sports update a few minutes ago, 1010 WINS (CBS Radio all-news station out of New York) reported that Carl Pavano was a "late scratch" from tonight's Yankees exhibition game for "personal reasons." Not saying anything is going down; just telling you what WINS said.