View Full Version : MLB.com Best Lineups

balke
03-05-2007, 12:32 PM
5. Red Sox
4. Phillies
3. Cubs
2. Yankees
1. Mets

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070305&content_id=1827802&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp

Without making it a Cubs thing, I just thought it was an interesting debate. They are judging on best "all-around" lineup.

As much as a I love defense and speed, I still gotta give the Yankees the #1 spot here. Valenstache being in the lineup for the Mets probably did it for me there. I think A-rod will bounce back, and I'd cry if I had to pitch to that lineup.

I would put the Phillies #1 if they had Abreu or any established RFer. They look real good heading into this season. I think overall, they should be the favorite right now coming from the Central. For now I'd put them #3. Its almost a toss-up between them and the Cubs on paper.

My List:

5. Red Sox
4. Cubs
3. Phillies
2. Mets
1. Yankees

Side Note: I like our lineup in the top 10, but right now there's a lot of potential, and no guarantees about peak performances. If everyone gave their best season, we'd be the best all around by far. Pods fell off the face of the earth last season, Uribe had a hole in his bat, and Anderson didn't hit. But our defense is probably the best in the majors.

rdivaldi
03-05-2007, 12:40 PM
White Sox = best 2- 6 in MLB. I also find it veeeery interesting that 4 of those teams are of the East Coast variety. If you look at runs scored in 2006 only two of those teams finished in the top 5, the Yankees and the Phillies. The Mets were 7th, the Red Sox 10th and the Cubs 28th.

Thome25
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
White Sox = best 2- 6 in MLB. I also find it veeeery interesting that 4 of those teams are of the East Coast variety. If you look at runs scored in 2006 only two of those teams finished in the top 5, the Yankees and the Phillies. The Mets were 7th, the Red Sox 10th and the Cubs 28th.

I know with alot of publications and sports outlets there seems to be an east coast bias.

But, ALOT of west coast teams are having lineup problems right now so, for the most part I think it's justified.

The Dodgers don't have a legit power hitter, The Padres don't have the most power packed lineup, The Angels have been struggling to find a power hitter for a couple of years now. (the lost out on Konerko remember?) And the Athletics are well, just the Athletics.

chisoxmike
03-05-2007, 12:54 PM
The Sox will score a lot of runs and hit a lot of home runs, yes. But does that make them a good solid lineup? I'd say no. Until they can move the runners along, score a guy thats on second or third base with no or one out, and not **** themselves when a left hander with a decent curve ball is on the mound, they will continue to struggle to score runs at crucial moments in the game. The Sox lineup also has a tendency to make sub-par pitchers on teams like the Royals and Devil Rays look like Cy Young pichers - you can't do that and expect to win a division.

jcw218
03-05-2007, 04:43 PM
The Sox lineup also has a tendency to make sub-par pitchers on teams like the Royals and Devil Rays look like Cy Young pichers - you can't do that and expect to win a division.

You can't forget that, generally speaking, if this is the first time that the Sox are facing a pitcher who has been lit up like a christmas tree in his previous outings he tends to do very well against us.

ondafarm
03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
The Sox will score a lot of runs and hit a lot of home runs, yes. But does that make them a good solid lineup? I'd say no. Until they can move the runners along, score a guy thats on second or third base with no or one out, and not **** themselves when a left hander with a decent curve ball is on the mound, they will continue to struggle to score runs at crucial moments in the game. The Sox lineup also has a tendency to make sub-par pitchers on teams like the Royals and Devil Rays look like Cy Young pichers - you can't do that and expect to win a division.

I'd say wait until the season.

veeter
03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
It's all about the pitching.

Madscout
03-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Do the Red Sox move runners? The Cubs? The Yankees? They pound the **** out of you (or try to pound the **** out of you). This just more about east coast love.

My list...
1 Yanks (becuase there are just no breaks)
2 White Sox
3 Tigers
4 Angels
5 Mets

HotelWhiteSox
03-18-2007, 01:20 AM
We have a fine offense. Top 5 in the AL in almost every offensive category, in the best pitching division in the league.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2007, 01:42 AM
You can't forget that, generally speaking, if this is the first time that the Sox are facing a pitcher who has been lit up like a christmas tree in his previous outings he tends to do very well against us.

Or if the opposing pitcher is making his MLB debut. :(:

IndianWhiteSox
03-18-2007, 01:47 AM
5. Red Sox
4. Phillies
3. Cubs
2. Yankees
1. Mets

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070305&content_id=1827802&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp

Without making it a Cubs thing, I just thought it was an interesting debate. They are judging on best "all-around" lineup.

As much as a I love defense and speed, I still gotta give the Yankees the #1 spot here. Valenstache being in the lineup for the Mets probably did it for me there. I think A-rod will bounce back, and I'd cry if I had to pitch to that lineup.

I would put the Phillies #1 if they had Abreu or any established RFer. They look real good heading into this season. I think overall, they should be the favorite right now coming from the Central. For now I'd put them #3. Its almost a toss-up between them and the Cubs on paper.

My List:

5. Red Sox
4. Cubs
3. Phillies
2. Mets
1. Yankees

Side Note: I like our lineup in the top 10, but right now there's a lot of potential, and no guarantees about peak performances. If everyone gave their best season, we'd be the best all around by far. Pods fell off the face of the earth last season, Uribe had a hole in his bat, and Anderson didn't hit. But our defense is probably the best in the majors.

I guess that might the case because of how it looks on paper right now.

oeo
03-18-2007, 03:08 AM
5. Red Sox
4. Cubs
3. Phillies
2. Mets
1. Yankees

No way the Flubs have a better lineup. A DH batting leadoff? A crappy utility man batting second? Pitcher batting 9th? You're kidding me...

IndianWhiteSox
03-18-2007, 03:25 AM
No way the Flubs have a better lineup. A DH batting leadoff? A crappy utility man batting second? Pitcher batting 9th? You're kidding me...

Yea because it's detrimental to have a DH in your lineup that can go 40-40 every year. But I do agree, with everything else though.

oeo
03-18-2007, 03:33 AM
Yea because it's detrimental to have a DH in your lineup that can go 40-40 every year. But I do agree, with everything else though.

They'll either be up 1-0 or there will be no score with one out for DeRosa. He shouldn't be hitting behind the pitcher. He's not a leadoff hitter, and he's not a centerfielder, yet the Flubs will try both.

And Soriano had his best year last year; although I still think he'll put up big numbers, they won't be that big.

IndianWhiteSox
03-18-2007, 08:42 AM
They'll either be up 1-0 or there will be no score with one out for DeRosa. He shouldn't be hitting behind the pitcher. He's not a leadoff hitter, and he's not a centerfielder, yet the Flubs will try both.

And Soriano had his best year last year; although I still think he'll put up big numbers, they won't be that big.

Yes I know that, but all I was pointing out is that, Soriano won't be the reason why the Cubs hitting will suck. Lee's shoulder, DeRosa, Jockstrap and other on the sCrUBS will.

SoXPriDe33
03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Or if the opposing pitcher is making his MLB debut. :(:

Didn't the Sox light up Anthony Reyes when he made his MLB Debut for the Cards this past summer? I truly don't know if that was his MLB Debut or not.:dunno:

Rob190
03-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Didn't the Sox light up Anthony Reyes when he made his MLB Debut for the Cards this past summer? I truly don't know if that was his MLB Debut or not.:dunno:

Actually, he pitched very well against the Sox. He allowed only one run, which was a homerun, which Thome hit.

IndianWhiteSox
03-18-2007, 01:28 PM

They lit up Mark Mulder where as Reyes threw a 1 hitter. although lost, but still threw well.

oeo
03-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Yes I know that, but all I was pointing out is that, Soriano won't be the reason why the Cubs hitting will suck. Lee's shoulder, DeRosa, Jockstrap and other on the sCrUBS will.

I wasn't arguing how the Flubs lineup would suck, I was arguing that the Sox lineup is better...and it is.

Actually, he pitched very well against the Sox. He allowed only one hit, which was a homerun, which Thome hit.

Fixed it for you...and I believe that was through 8 innings. This is no surprise, though...the Sox always suck against young pitchers with little/no scouting report.

IndianWhiteSox
03-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I wasn't arguing how the Flubs lineup would suck, I was arguing that the Sox lineup is better...and it is.

That I agree with you 100%

:gulp::thumbsup: