PDA

View Full Version : 7 Sox Prospects on Rotoworld's Top 150

Vestigio
03-05-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=MLB&columnid=2&articleid=27859

#23 Sweeney
#36 Danks
#39 Fields
#78 Gonzalez
#81 Haeger
#106 Masset
#137 Broadway

Why is it that its a forgone conclusion that Dye will be gone in '08?

rdivaldi
03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=MLB&columnid=2&articleid=27859

#23 Sweeney
#36 Danks
#39 Fields
#78 Gonzalez
#81 Haeger
#106 Masset
#137 Broadway

Why is it that its a forgone conclusion that Dye will be gone in '08?

Because the Cubune says so....

Anyway, after watching the game yesterday I find it hard to understand why everyone rates Danks so much higher than Gio. Is it the "frame" issue again?

It's also pretty apparent to me that Valido hits this year he'll skyrocket up the charts and be a top 50 prospect. I didn't think his defense could get any better but he was magical yesterday. I'll go out on a limb and say he's the best defensive infielder on the White Sox, minor league or major league.

Vestigio
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM

Anyway, after watching the game yesterday I find it hard to understand why everyone rates Danks so much higher than Gio. Is it the "frame" issue again?

It's also pretty apparent to me that Valido hits this year he'll skyrocket up the charts and be a top 50 prospect. I didn't think his defense could get any better but he was magical yesterday. I'll go out on a limb and say he's the best defensive infielder on the White Sox, minor league or major league.

Probably.

Now I dont know much about Valido, but can he possibly leadoff if bounces back after last season? Does he have the speed and OBP to be a serviceable leadoff hitter?

rdivaldi
03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Probably.

Now I dont know much about Valido, but can he possibly leadoff if bounces back after last season? Does he have the speed and OBP to be a serviceable leadoff hitter?

He's fast, but I don't know if he has technique to be much more than a guy to steal more than 20 in a season. Rob also has a long way to go when it comes to drawing walks. He doesn't strike out a lot, but he's a free swinger. I think his career high in walks is like 30.

UserNameBlank
03-05-2007, 12:59 PM

I agree on both counts. Gio looked poised and confident out there and surely much better than his numbers would indicate. He looks like a guy who could be a late inning lefty on a good major league club right now, but everything I read seems to say he's at least a year or more away.

I was happy to finally see Valido play and he looked great in the field yesterday. If he becomes a .270 or so hitter in the bigs he will be a heck of a SS. He certainly looked a ton better at the plate than Andy Gonzalez who is on the 40man. Fields looked just a little better than 2006 Brian Anderson, so another year in Triple A should really do him some good.

Aardsma also looked really impressive yesterday IMO. Supposedly he was just amped up by the atmosphere and going for the K more than getting his work in, and as a fan I like that a lot. With his stuff, as long as he throws strikes he will be this year's Jenks/Thornton. Sisco also looked good and I hope he can continue to find the zone.

All in all, I can't wait to see these kids play again!

DMarte708
03-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Aardsma also looked really impressive yesterday IMO. Supposedly he was just amped up by the atmosphere and going for the K more than getting his work in, and as a fan I like that a lot. With his stuff, as long as he throws strikes he will be this year's Jenks/Thornton. Sisco also looked good and I hope he can continue to find the zone.
Aardsma may have a good fastball, but he featured absolutely no secondary pitches yesterday. Aside from one hanging breaking ball. He definitely needs more than a 96 mph fastball to succeed in the majors. Or else, we'll have the 2003/04 Billy Koch on our hands.

UserNameBlank
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Aardsma may have a good fastball, but he featured absolutely no secondary pitches yesterday. Aside from one hanging breaking ball. He definitely needs more than a 96 mph fastball to succeed in the majors. Or else, we'll have the 2003/04 Billy Koch on our hands.
???

I seem to remember him throwing a few nice sliders up there.

Billy Koch's problem was location. You can be a reliever and get away with only using a fastball, which was pretty much all Thornton did last year and all Cotts did in 2005, going between his 4 seamer and 2 seamer. Billy would get into 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 counts with regularity and be forced to come over with meatball. When he did, he'd usually give up a basehit or something, which wouldn't have been all that bad if he hadn't walked 2 or 3 guys prior to that.

rdivaldi
03-05-2007, 03:59 PM

I was thinking the same exact thing...

Hagan
03-19-2007, 01:15 AM
This list was pretty bad. It is hard to tell if he was ranking more on previous professional production or potential more but how is nick masset ranked over joba chamberlain by so much?