PDA

View Full Version : Something I Noticed About The Spring Training Jerseys And Caps

Thome25
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I noticed that some teams are wearing their official game jerseys in the spring training games while others are wearing the lighter spring training/BP ones.

Also, I noticed that there has been alot of negative talk about the new BP/Spring Training caps. Some players are refusing to wear the new ones with the "ear fenders" on the sides. The players that won't wear them are wearing official game caps.

Jeff Kent of the Dodgers hates the BP caps so much that he actually went through the trouble of painting silver "ear fenders" on his offical Dodgers game cap.

Also, I noticed alot of the managers are wearing offical game caps instead of the BP ones as well. IMO the new BP caps are the nicest, most comfortable caps out there. I think they look pretty good too.

The White Sox are one of the teams wearing their official black game jerseys in ST games instead of the spring training ones. Anyone know why they're doing this?

ewokpelts
03-05-2007, 10:45 AM
You'd think they'd liek the bp hats. thay're almost the exact same material as last years, just with the "ear fenders". As for the jerseys, I think teams can wear what they want in games, since mlb and majestic have made coolbase AND thermabase jerseys for the home/road unis.

Thome25
03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
You'd think they'd liek the bp hats. thay're almost the exact same material as last years, just with the "ear fenders". As for the jerseys, I think teams can wear what they want in games, since mlb and majestic have made coolbase AND thermabase jerseys for the home/road unis.

I'd have to say the same thing. The caps are exactly the same as last year's minus the "ear fenders."

I'm a cap and jersey person. I have tons of both. I've been wearing them for years. I don't understand why some of the players don't like the bp caps.

I've worn the official game caps and jerseys. The bp/spring training jerseys and caps are BY FAR the most comfortable I've ever worn.

The 2007 bp caps look pretty sharp too.

downstairs
03-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I could easily see a player being annoyed at the BP caps/jerseys. I, personally, think they look terrible in a game- even if it is a meaningless ST game.

There's just something too casual about them.

Just like some people feel "better" when they work dressed up in a suit and tie, and others can work in jeans and a t-shirt just fine... I could see a player feeling more confident his real, official cap and uniform.

oeo
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I noticed that some teams are wearing their official game jerseys in the spring training games while others are wearing the lighter spring training/BP ones.

Are they, though? They look like the black alternates to me. They have the Sox patch on the arm, and names on the back. :dunno:

chisoxmike
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
The "ear fenders" look pretty stupid to me.

Whitesox029
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
I can't say which ones are more comfortable because I haven't worn either, but the "ear fenders" look kind of stupid in my opinion...There's no reason to make that kind of design change to a baseball cap. A baseball cap is a baseball cap, and all it needs is a logo.

Thome25
03-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I can't say which ones are more comfortable because I haven't worn either, but the "ear fenders" look kind of stupid in my opinion...There's no reason to make that kind of design change to a baseball cap. A baseball cap is a baseball cap, and all it needs is a logo.

Baseball caps have actually gone through many changes over the years. The caps from 1901 (when the White Sox entered the AL) look NOTHING like the ones they wear today. (aside from the differences in team logos.)

To me, the "ear fenders" are just another innovation in the caps that players wear. It looks different and serves a purpose. It just takes some getting used to.

It's similar to the evolution of the football helmet in the NFL.

I was skeptical about the "ear fenders" too. But, once I got the cap......I think they look great.

ewokpelts
03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I could easily see a player being annoyed at the BP caps/jerseys. I, personally, think they look terrible in a game- even if it is a meaningless ST game.

There's just something too casual about them.

Just like some people feel "better" when they work dressed up in a suit and tie, and others can work in jeans and a t-shirt just fine... I could see a player feeling more confident his real, official cap and uniform.well...the hats are now different(poly blend and not wool), and the jerseys are made of the same material as the bp jerseys now(cool base and therma base)

chisoxmike
03-05-2007, 12:18 PM
To me, the "ear fenders" are just another innovation in the caps that players wear. It looks different and serves a purpose. It just takes some getting used to.

What exactly is the point of the ear fenders??????????

Thome25
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM

I believe they help the fit and stretchability of the cap itself. The ear fenders are made of a different, more flexible material than the rest of the cap.

itsnotrequired
03-05-2007, 12:25 PM

Style. How else are they going to get the babes to look at them?

kraut83
03-05-2007, 12:47 PM
I was skeptical about the "ear fenders" too. But, once I got the cap......I think they look great.

I think the fenders look fine when they match the rest of the hat. Like this:

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-3514834th.gif (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2617723&cp=1452347.1452702.709744&parentPage=family)

However, they look like crap when they contrast, like this:

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-3514798th.gif (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2617719&cp=1452346.1452692)

Huisj
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-3514834th.gif (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2617723&cp=1452347.1452702.709744&parentPage=family)

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-3514798th.gif (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2617719&cp=1452346.1452692)

Still, why do they need that dumb white piping over the "ear fender" part? Why can't it just be black?

Sometimes it makes it look like the players are wearing some kind of white-frame sunglasses and the part that goes over the ear is up on their hat . . . except then you see their face, and they don't have sunglasses on.

Either that, or it looks like the hat is trying to recreate some sort of bad early '90s haircut with a little shaved shape around the ear.

SBSoxFan
03-05-2007, 01:43 PM

I think it makes the wearer more aerodynamic too. No more PKGIPD this year!

I want Mags back
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
i agree, and i miss the silver brim

HotelWhiteSox
03-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't like these hats. First off, I don't like messing with the logo, whether it's an outline or whatever. And also, I guess in the minority, but I also liked the silver brim

ChiSoxRowand
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm suprised these guys aren't getting fined. MLB is usually pretty strict about this stuff.

VenturaIsAGod
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Was anyone else really bothered for some reason with the Cubs logo being in white? Why on Earth wouldn't it be red, or if they really like the white, shouldn't the fender be white too since they insist on making it a different color from the rest of the hat.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of these hats. Ours look OK compared to most other teams', at least.

FielderJones
03-05-2007, 04:07 PM

Paul Konerko Ground Into Play Double? :redneck

Red Barchetta
03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm suprised these guys aren't getting fined. MLB is usually pretty strict about this stuff.

I am too. Starting with our leader, I have not seen Ozzie sport the new hat yet this spring. Every interview, he wears the "old" game hat with the grey bill underneath. This year's game hat will have a black bill underneath.

I bought the new BP hat and like it. I'm not crazy about the ear trim, however as posted earlier, it looks OK since our hat is all black and the white trim matches with the bill trim. The hats that look bad IMO are the ones that add the third color (like the Cubs). I had read players think the hats make them look as if they are wearing doo-rags. Pretty funny.

BTW. If anyone is interested in still getting the "old" BP hats with the grey bill, they are still available at Linedrive on-line, link below. I picked up two extra (one for me, one for my son) because it's one of my favorite SOX hats ever.

www.linedrive.com

esbrechtel
03-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Was anyone else really bothered for some reason with the Cubs logo being in white? Why on Earth wouldn't it be red, or if they really like the white, shouldn't the fender be white too since they insist on making it a different color from the rest of the hat.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of these hats. Ours look OK compared to most other teams', at least.
If I was a cubs fan I would be furious....from a franchise that has such a rich history and historic logos and jerseys a white C would piss me off to no end....I really dont have a problem with the ear fenders....I figured it was just decoration trying to make the hat different...I was unaware of them serving an actual purpose...

Brian26
03-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Jeff Kent of the Dodgers hates the BP caps so much that he actually went through the trouble of painting silver "ear fenders" on his offical Dodgers game cap.

Where did you hear this? It seems odd that a player would make such a fuss about something that is essentially just a fashion choice. I bought one of the new hats, and comfort-wise it fits just as well as the old ones, if not better. So, basically Kent is making a stir because he doesn't like how the hat looks?

Brian26
03-05-2007, 09:30 PM
If I was a cubs fan I would be furious....from a franchise that has such a rich history and historic logos and jerseys a white C would piss me off to no end

That's probably not the best argument to use against the white "C". Without looking it up, I'm almost positive they wore a white "C" on their hats for many years in the early 20th century. If anything, its a nod to tradition.

tick53
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM

I agree. They make the players' heads look like there two feet deep. They also remind me of NASCAR caps.

FielderJones
03-06-2007, 12:08 AM
That's probably not the best argument to use against the white "C". Without looking it up, I'm almost positive they wore a white "C" on their hats for many years in the early 20th century. If anything, its a nod to tradition.

Here's (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online%5Fexhibits/dressed%5Fto%5Fthe%5Fnines/detail_page.asp?fileName=nl_1911_chicago.gif&Entryid=172) one.

ilsox7
03-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Where did you hear this? It seems odd that a player would make such a fuss about something that is essentially just a fashion choice. I bought one of the new hats, and comfort-wise it fits just as well as the old ones, if not better. So, basically Kent is making a stir because he doesn't like how the hat looks?

I saw an article and picture of Kent's creation. I think it was on espn.com last week, but I cannot remember 100%.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-06-2007, 08:16 AM

The thing I hate about them is that they're all the same; all the teams have them. I know, I know, MLB calls the shots on it, but it loses its individuality when everyone has it.

Not everyone has/had two tone BP hats; those that did, while the colors were different, still stood out as their own. With the ear swoop on everyone's hats, it looks silly and looks like they pander to the non fan. I loathe the Yankees, but seeing the Yankee BP hats, as well as the Sox' hats makes it look over the top.

Thome25
03-06-2007, 10:07 AM

That's why Kent went through the trouble of painting ear fenders on his official game cap.

Someone told him he had to wear the one with the ear fenders or suffer some kind of fine/punishment. So he painted some on the cap he wanted to wear.

Thome25
03-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't like these hats. First off, I don't like messing with the logo, whether it's an outline or whatever. And also, I guess in the minority, but I also liked the silver brim

They're not messing with the logo.....it's outlined in silver and black and is actually the same S-O-X logo that's on our alternate black jersey.

So all they did was use one of the White Sox alternate logos on the cap.

Thome25
03-06-2007, 10:17 AM
I agree. They make the players' heads look like there two feet deep. They also remind me of NASCAR caps.

What's wrong with NASCAR caps? I agree that some of them are ugly but the same could be said for some of the MLB teams' logos.

The new caps are nice. Like I said, I was pretty skeptical but once I got mine I think the cap looks great.

The caps with the silver brim were nice too.......I wouldn't say the new ones are nicer but they're good too.

tstrike2000
03-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Awesome! So they put the elastic over the ears on the helmet, too!?!