PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano guarantees he'll win Cy Young and a WS title

WizardsofOzzie
03-04-2007, 08:51 PM
After throwing two shutout innings in his Cactus League debut Friday, Carlos Zambrano already was talking the talk.
"I believe this year I will win the Cy Young (Award) and I will enjoy that," he said. "And besides that, we will win the World Series. I guarantee you that. I have faith." http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070302cubs,1,1105071.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
Sounds like Big Z's ego has swelled to the size of Texas :rolleyes:

RadioheadRocks
03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
:cleo

"HEY now you be NICE to my brother Carlos, mon!" :roflmao:

rocky biddle
03-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I believe he made the same guarantee last year. He was asked what his goals were, and he said to win the Cy Young... and for the team to be good. It's nice to see he's still putting his personal success first and the team second. At least this wasn't in the first person.

ZombieRob
03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Probably should have won is last year .Wouldn't doubt it about this year .hate to admit it the guy is a phenom of a pitcher.

Brian26
03-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Probably should have won is last year .Wouldn't doubt it about this year .hate to admit it the guy is a phenom of a pitcher.

Brandon Webb gets no credit for being the better pitcher last year?

LongLiveFisk
03-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Does he also have this Tuesday's winning numbers for the Mega Millions jackpot as well?

Brian26
03-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Does he also have this Tuesday's winning numbers for the Mega Millions jackpot as well?

He's busy IM'ing them to me right now.

Dan the Man
03-04-2007, 09:53 PM
He's busy IM'ing them to me right now.

You might have to wait till he's done playing Guitar Hero...

JermaineDye05
03-04-2007, 09:55 PM
if/when the cubs don't win the WS, I wonder where he'll end up. If the Cubs re-sign him they should put an incentive in the contract where the Cubs can deduct $1-2 million for every false hope he gives the fans.

itsnotrequired
03-04-2007, 09:56 PM
You might have to wait till he's done playing Guitar Hero...

Nah, that's Zumaya.

Dan the Man
03-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Nah, that's Zumaya.

Oops. Well, whatever electronic time-wasting, tennis elbow inducing activity.:D:

RadioheadRocks
03-04-2007, 10:02 PM
if/when the cubs don't win the WS, I wonder where he'll end up. If the Cubs re-sign him they should put an incentive in the contract where the Cubs can deduct $1-2 million for every false hope he gives the fans.

If he had to kick in to their kangaroo court I'll bet they'd have one hell of a shindig.

Ziggy S
03-04-2007, 10:06 PM
If the Scrubs did that, they would be bankrupt from all the false hope they've delivered for close to a hundred years.

santo=dorf
03-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I believe he made the same guarantee last year. He was asked what his goals were, and he said to win the Cy Young... and for the team to be good. It's nice to see he's still putting his personal success first and the team second. At least this wasn't in the first person.
Somebody had to take over for :roidduck

I'm betting Zambrano gets tattooed in interleague play when the DH is playing and puts on 15 pounds this year.

I'd like to see you back this up because it looks like the Tribune propoganda that they were spitting out last season. Pitchers with 1.29 WHIP's (Same as Javy, worse than Contreras and Garcia) don't win Cy Young awards. Oswalt, Webb, and Carpenter (who should've won) were clearly better than him last year.

Brian26
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Oops. Well, whatever electronic time-wasting, tennis elbow inducing activity.:D:

IM'ing. I already made that joke.:D:

voodoochile
03-04-2007, 10:43 PM

They'd have to fire the entire sports department at the Cubune if they did that.

Selling false hope is what they do best...

getonbckthr
03-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Whats wrong with him puting his personal goals first? If he performs to a level where he wins the Cy Young then he did his part to help the team.

ZombieRob
03-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Brandon Webb gets no credit for being the better pitcher last year?
Webbs and Zambranos stats are similar .The voting could have gone either way and probably if disected can make an arguement for either pitcher .

Iwritecode
03-04-2007, 11:10 PM

Didn't Zambrano get injured last year or two years ago from writing emails or something dumb like that?

RadioheadRocks
03-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Webbs and Zambranos stats are similar .The voting could have gone either way and probably id disected can make an arguement for either pitcher .

Didn't Zambrano get injured last year or two years ago from writing emails or something dumb like that?

And therein lies the tiebreaker. :cool:

vegyrex
03-04-2007, 11:27 PM
I think Sullivan misquoted him and Big Z actually said he was going to win the world series of poker. :redneck

WhiteSox5187
03-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Somebody needs to tell Carlos to shut up and pitch. He's a hell of a pitcher and he's the only one worth a damn on that team. He's going to be gone next year anyway.

santo=dorf
03-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Webbs and Zambranos stats are similar .The voting could have gone either way and probably if disected can make an arguement for either pitcher .
Carpenter had a 1.07 WHIP and 3.07 ERA in 221.2 innings.
Webb had a 1.13 WHIP and 3.10 ERA in 235 innings.
Oswalt had a 1.17 WHIP and 2.98 ERA in 220.2 innings.
Smoltz had a 1.19 WHIP and 3.49 ERA in 232 innings.
Zambrano had a 1.29 WHIP and 3.41 ERA in 214 innings.

Zambrano is clearly at the bottom of that list.

IndianWhiteSox
03-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Whats wrong with him puting his personal goals first? If he performs to a level where he wins the Cy Young then he did his part to help the team.

But that still doesn't mean they win the world series even if he somehow goes 32-0 with a 1.00 ERA and a 250IP. He should realize he plays for the team that loves to lose.

WizardsofOzzie
03-05-2007, 07:17 AM
I think Sullivan misquoted him and Big Z actually said he was going to win the world series of poker. :redneck
:rolling: :rolling:

Yep, i believe they told him he could only be on the computer for X hours a day after that. :redneck

The Immigrant
03-05-2007, 07:25 AM
He is a comically stupid individual. It would be dumb for a player to make one of those predictions, but to make both at the same time really sets a high bar.

But, as someone else mentioned, at least he didn't speak in the third person.

Mohoney
03-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Let's make it interesting, Z. I'll take that bet. If I win, and NEITHER of those 2 things happen, I get 50% of Zambrano's contract next year. If they BOTH happen, Zambrano gets everything I own (house, car, the whole ball of wax.

In fact, I'll sweeten the deal. If you DO win the Cy Young, but not the World Series, the whole bet's a wash. If you win the World Series, but not the Cy Young, you still get every possession to my name in this world.

Viva Medias B's
03-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Carlos Zambrano has million dollar talent and a ten-cent brain.

soxfan13
03-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Carlos Zambrano has million dollar talent and a ten-cent brain.

Nice Bull Durham reference:smile:

ShoelessJoeS
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070302cubs,1,1105071.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
Sounds like Big Z's ego has swelled to the size of Texas :rolleyes:All I can say is... :rolleyes:

daveeym
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Whats wrong with him puting his personal goals first? If he performs to a level where he wins the Cy Young then he did his part to help the team. I have to agree with this. Baseball is the one sport where you can think about yourself and still help the team. Sure if you would rather swing away than sac a guy over you're hurting the team but for 99% of the situations a selfish great player is still helping the team. More often than not a guy at Zambono's level wins his pissing matches and helps the team. That's what great players do. They just need to be smart enought to give in to the manager in the playoffs and important situations that will get them to the playoffs.

downstairs
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Cy Young? Yes.

World Series? Not until his goofy contract runs out and he leaves town.

whitesoxfan1986
03-05-2007, 11:23 AM
He'll win a Cy Young if he leaves town AND stays in the NL. If an AL team signs him it'll be the worst $100 milllion that team ever spent. I think Zambrano is a 4.25-4.6 ERA pitcher in the AL. He walks too many batters, and counts on the weak bottom of the lineup to get critical outs. On another subject, I think Prior will finally live up to his potential once he leaves the Flubs. I just hope it's not on the Tigers or Jndjans.(I left the scum laden evil Twins whom I despise out because they are cheap.)

Britt Burns
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
This might have been said upthread, but I'm pretty sure Zambrano said the same thing before last season.

whitesoxfan1986
03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
On another subject, I think Prior will finally live up to his potential once he leaves the Flubs. I just hope it's not on the Tigers or Jndjans.(I left the scum laden evil Twins whom I despise out because they are cheap.) I now retract that statement after hearing that Prior's FB is topping out at 84mph.:o:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-07-2007, 12:02 AM
"And besides that, we will win the World Series. I guarantee you that. I have faith."

The we = Chicago.

The Chicago = White Sox.

He's signing with the Sox after this season, haven't you read my posts lately? :cool:

thomas35forever
03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
His comments earned him a nomination for this week's "Just Shut Up" Award on Mike & Mike. Dunno if he won though.