PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Twins

getonbckthr
03-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Truly is anyone scared or worried about this team entering 07? Their offense is average at best, the rotation past Santana is very very questionable to the point where some people have said the top 4 down at AAA is actually better than the 2-5 on the big league rotation. The bullpen looks solid again but will they get a chance to shine like in previous years?

MUsoxfan
03-04-2007, 04:28 AM
In a word....yes. The Twins are always a concern. It doesn't matter what their roster looks like or how far they are out of it after the All-Star Break, they always find a way to compete.

caulfield12
03-04-2007, 07:45 AM
The odds that Garza, Baker and JD Durbin are more talented than Silva, Ponson and Ortiz.

The one and only question for GM Terry Ryan is which pitchers give them a better shot to win the AL Central, THIS season?

The Twins had a to use Garza and Baker last year, and neither one was ready...they picked up the veterans specifically to protect those young pitchers.

UserNameBlank
03-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Not worried unless the Sox have a terrible first half. Minny and KC will probably be much better second half teams, but as long as the Sox get out of the gate well - and the same goes for Detroit and Cleveland - it should still be a three horse race. Minny's staff just can't compare with the top 3 staffs in the Central.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Last year they looked like crap through May, and yet they still managed to chase down and pass two very good teams to win the division. They might always choke in the playoffs, but Gardenhire's teams always play each regular season game like the one today might mean the pennant.

I'll rule out the Twinkies when they're 10 games back in September...

lizard6king6
03-04-2007, 10:48 AM
We always have to worry about them espedcially the piranhas!

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/fan_forum/commercials_2007.jsp

IndianWhiteSox
03-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Last year they looked like crap through May, and yet they still managed to chase down and pass two very good teams to win the division. They might always choke in the playoffs, but Gardenhire's teams always play each regular season game like the one today might mean the pennant.

Well said, the only reason why the Twins were out of it in '05 is because they had so many problems, no team could overcome that. Like Hunter being out for the year, Jockstrap on the team and etc.

DarkHorse35
03-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Twins are always a concern as they always seem to have the Sox number.

WhiteSox5187
03-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Well said, the only reason why the Twins were out of it in '05 is because they had so many problems, no team could overcome that. Like Hunter being out for the year, Jockstrap on the team and etc.
And the fact the Sox were a better team. No one was catching the Sox in '05.

Having said that, I'm ALWAYS worried about the Twins. We've had the better team on paper just about every year since '02 and we've only beaten them in the division once. I look at that rotation and I think "It doesn't look too good..." but I've said that a lot. When they brought up Boof Bonser I was thinking "Ah, they're done. No man named Boof can lead a team into the playoffs." ANd while Boof didn't lead them, he sure as hell helped them get in. The Twins always scare me until the day they are mathmatically eliminated.

infohawk
03-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Truly is anyone scared or worried about this team entering 07? Their offense is average at best, the rotation past Santana is very very questionable to the point where some people have said the top 4 down at AAA is actually better than the 2-5 on the big league rotation. The bullpen looks solid again but will they get a chance to shine like in previous years?
The thing I still fear about the Twins is being in a tie game or slightly behind after the sixth inning with that bullpen they have. If you get a two or three run lead prior to the seventh you're in good shape. If not, stellar bullpen pitching and a couple of bloops and bleeders on that turf will seal your doom. I think what will really hurt them this year is that their rotation won't keep as many games close for their bullpen, bloops and speed to win in the later innings.

caulfield12
03-04-2007, 08:45 PM
The thing I still fear about the Twins is being in a tie game or slightly behind after the sixth inning with that bullpen they have. If you get a two or three run lead prior to the seventh you're in good shape. If not, stellar bullpen pitching and a couple of bloops and bleeders on that turf will seal your doom. I think what will really hurt them this year is that their rotation won't keep as many games close for their bullpen, bloops and speed to win in the later innings.

They also help you get out to quick 1-2 run leads.

That formula worked well for the White Sox in 2005.

veeter
03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
They always find a way to be tough. This year, though, I think they'll struggle and finish third. But in 2008, look out.

ondafarm
03-04-2007, 09:12 PM
They always find a way to be tough. This year, though, I think they'll struggle and finish third. But in 2008, look out.

IIRC, in 2008 they will be opening a new outdoor ballpark which should sink their big home field advantage.

The Racehorse
03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
IIRC, in 2008 they will be opening a new outdoor ballpark which should sink their big home field advantage.

It'll be interesting to see how their new park in 2010 will pan out... I dread if that the chilly air up there will not allow the ball to carry, giving Santana & Co. the advantage.

thomas35forever
03-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Actually, it'll be in 2009. Nice try though.

s.dedalus
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070111&content_id=1777505&vkey=ballpark_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

2010 is the targeted opening.

ilsox7
03-04-2007, 09:42 PM
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070111&content_id=1777505&vkey=ballpark_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

I heard it's actually 2011.

Do I hear 2012? Anybody?

thomas35forever
03-04-2007, 09:42 PM

You sure? 2010 going once, going twice...

ondafarm
03-05-2007, 12:09 AM
It'll be interesting to see how their new park in 2010 will pan out... I dread if that the chilly air up there will not allow the ball to carry, giving Santana & Co. the advantage.

First, such an advantage would proceed to both pitching staffs. The huge advantage that I speak of is the hitter's backdrop. In the dome, vision is not like outside. The hitter's backdrop in the dome is exceptionally poor and takes some time to adjust to. A three game series provides very little time to adjust, but the Twins play half their games there and normally on eight, nine or ten game series. That means the Twins hitters have an advantage over every opposition team's hitters in all games except the first or second back from a long road trip.

Taking them outside will neutralize that advantage.

WhiteSox5187
03-05-2007, 12:55 AM
First, such an advantage would proceed to both pitching staffs. The huge advantage that I speak of is the hitter's backdrop. In the dome, vision is not like outside. The hitter's backdrop in the dome is exceptionally poor and takes some time to adjust to. A three game series provides very little time to adjust, but the Twins play half their games there and normally on eight, nine or ten game series. That means the Twins hitters have an advantage over every opposition team's hitters in all games except the first or second back from a long road trip.

Taking them outside will neutralize that advantage.
Also, for opposing outfielders it is hard to judge a flyball because of the roof. Not to mention the crowd noise. Once the Twins move out of the Dome, they're going to struggle for awhile, look a Houston. It took them a year or two to get used to then Enron Field.

Also, Oakland is going to be getting a new ballpark with hardly any foul ground, they're the team that's going to struggle the most.

Thome25
03-05-2007, 08:53 AM
In a word....yes. The Twins are always a concern. It doesn't matter what their roster looks like or how far they are out of it after the All-Star Break, they always find a way to compete.

I'd have to agree with this comment. There's been several times where the Twins have turned their roster over and I've said "They're done." only to see them win another division title.

I made the mistake of counting them out when they got rid of Ortiz, Doug M., AJ, and Eric Milton.....The last thing you want to do is count the Twins out.

With that said, I STRONGLY dislike the Twinkies!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Thome25
03-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Santana will be LONG gone by the time the new ballpark opens. Hopefully he'll be wearing silver, black, and white with an S-O-X on his cap by then.:D:

soxfanatlanta
03-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Santana will be LONG gone by the time the new ballpark opens. Hopefully he'll be wearing silver, black, and white with an S-O-X on his cap by then.:D:

I'd love to see him in the south side, but his asking price is going to be insane.

kobo
03-05-2007, 09:22 AM

They have been having trouble with acquiring the land where the new ballpark is to be built. When the legislature passes the bill allowing the new ballpark to be built, the Twins and the county had selected where they wanted the stadiumto be built. However, they never actually acquired the land and are still working on acquiring the land. The problem is the price of the land. It looks like Pohlad is going to have to pony up some additional money aside from the $130 million he is already putting into the project to secure the land on which the stadium is to be built. If they can't acquire the land this year, the project will be pushed back, or worse, won't happen at all. http://www.startribune.com/507/story/1032767.html

As for the original question, yes, I am concerned with the Twins. They play hard and they always seem to be in the mix year in and year out. And they seem to have the Sox number every season.

rusjam1961
03-05-2007, 09:46 AM
These guys are always around come September. Their starting pitching seems to be the only weakness, but by the All-Star break they should have it sorted out. I hope we get a chance to get even with that worthless bean baller Ponson. And don't forget, we have some issues to take care of also. Go Sox!!

ondafarm
03-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Also, for opposing outfielders it is hard to judge a flyball because of the roof. Not to mention the crowd noise. Once the Twins move out of the Dome, they're going to struggle for awhile, look a Houston. It took them a year or two to get used to then Enron Field.

Also, Oakland is going to be getting a new ballpark with hardly any foul ground, they're the team that's going to struggle the most.

Oakland plays to their park, but the Twins seem to have the largest advantage in baseball. Take that away and see how the Twins do. Before they opened the Metrodome the Twins were just bums.

chisoxmike
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Truly is anyone scared or worried about this team entering 07?

Always.

whitesoxfan1986
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
The Twins are evil. They always seem to pull a division winning season out of their ass when it seems like they are done. I wouldn't put it past them to win the division again this year, despite Liriano's injury. Remember, Radke was pitching with a torn rotator cuff last year, and Liriano only made around 18 starts....they won 96 games. We had a better team on paper than the Twins the past 5 years and they won the division 4 of them. They have the best pitcher in baseball. It seems that every journeyman pitcher they touch turns to gold. These are just some of the reasons why I HATE THE TWINS. :angry:

palehozenychicty
03-05-2007, 01:43 PM
The Twins are evil. They always seem to pull a division winning season out of their ass when it seems like they are done. I wouldn't put it past them to win the division again this year, despite Liriano's injury. Remember, Radke was pitching with a torn rotator cuff last year, and Liriano only made around 18 starts....they won 96 games. We had a better team on paper than the Twins the past 5 years and they won the division 4 of them. They have the best pitcher in baseball. It seems that every journeyman pitcher they touch turns to gold. These are just some of the reasons why I HATE THE TWINS. :angry:

But they ALWAYS flop in the postseason, because they have very little depth being a small market team. I think Oakland suffers from the same thing, and therefore, they both burn out when the postseason rings in.

whitesoxfan1986
03-05-2007, 04:47 PM
But they ALWAYS flop in the postseason, because they have very little depth being a small market team. I think Oakland suffers from the same thing, and therefore, they both burn out when the postseason rings in.
That just makes it worse. Well, it made last year worse because if we made the playoffs, I think we could have won it all for the second year in a row.

chisoxmike
03-05-2007, 05:48 PM

At least they make it year end and year out. What I would give to see the Sox at least in the playoffs consistantly.:(:

The Immigrant
03-05-2007, 06:15 PM
At least they make it year end and year out.

You mean since 2001 (excluding 2005, of course). They were awful for a full decade before then, IIRC.

Chrisaway
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I hate them. In fact I downright loathe them. But goddammit I respect them.

whitesoxfan1986
03-06-2007, 08:24 PM
I hate them. In fact I downright loathe them. But goddammit I respect them.
That pretty much sums up my feelings about the Twins.

soxwon
03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
The odds that Garza, Baker and JD Durbin are more talented than Silva, Ponson and Ortiz.

The one and only question for GM Terry Ryan is which pitchers give them a better shot to win the AL Central, THIS season?

The Twins had a to use Garza and Baker last year, and neither one was ready...they picked up the veterans specifically to protect those young pitchers.

nah 4th place for minnesota
their cooked.

Rob190
03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
nah 4th place for minnesota
their cooked.

The one thing that I have learned over the years, is to never underestimate the Twins. When you think they are done they pull the division title out of their butts.

captainclutch24
03-06-2007, 09:41 PM

They will still find a way to make our lives hell. Damn twins.

Southsider101
03-06-2007, 10:37 PM
The one thing that I have learned over the years, is to never underestimate the Twins. When you think they are done they pull the division title out of their butts.

As long a the Twins have Rick Anderson as their pitching coach they will be contenders. I think their starting rotation this year is thin, however even with big, fat tub goo, Sidney Ponson joining the team, Anderson has been known to work miracles with pitchers. Witness Latroy Hawkins. Anderson turned him from a AAA pitcher to become one of the top set-up men in baseball a few years ago. Yet, when he left for the big $$$ from the Cubs, he reverted back to his no-control, minor league self. Anderson has a reputation of getting the most out of under performing, journeymen pitchers. He is a master of teaching change of speed, and control of the strike zone.

eastchicagosoxfan
03-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Garza is hurting, and he could be out for an extended period of time. A neck injury.
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/16840760.htm

soxinem1
03-07-2007, 12:06 PM

With nine left to play......