PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs. Flubs Tomorrow (Sunday) at Hohokam

markopat
03-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Anyone else going? I'll be there with South Side Sid...

Also...Pre-game Cocktail destination?

Go Go SOX!

DrCrawdad
03-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I read that Anderson, Dye & Konerko will be making the trip to Cubdumb tomorrow. Anyone hear which pitchers are scheduled to pitch tomorrow (outside of Garland who is the starter)?

DMarte708
03-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I read that Anderson, Dye & Konerko will be making the trip to Cubdumb tomorrow. Anyone hear which pitchers are scheduled to pitch tomorrow (outside of Garland who is the starter)?
I really hope atleast one (hopefully two) of Giovanni Gonzalez and John Danks are pitching. Danks hasn't thrown since Feb.28 (2IP) and Gonzalez since March 1 (1IP). Both could reasonably throw against the Cubs.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2007, 11:03 PM
First televised game of the season (mlb.tv excluded). I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.:D:

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

soxwon
03-03-2007, 11:04 PM
I get nervous ANY time we play the cubs.
I cant stand to lose to them, even Exhib games.
Im sure we will win, we aree due to explode soon.

I want Mags back
03-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Im so excited to hear Len and Bob on the call of the first TV game of the year

WhiteSox5187
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I get nervous ANY time we play the cubs.
I cant stand to lose to them, even Exhib games.
Im sure we will win, we aree due to explode soon.
I am surprisingly nervous too. But to hell with it, if at the end of the season the Cubs' proudest moment is that they beat the hell out of us in March, it's a good thing.

JB98
03-04-2007, 01:46 AM

For that reason, I won't be watching the game. I'm not interested in hearing Cub management's various talking points regurgitated via Len and Bob. I can read the Cubune for that. There will be other spring games broadcast, with Hawk at the mic. I'll watch those.

Viva Medias B's
03-04-2007, 08:04 AM
A White Sox will will guarantee us the 2007 Pinal County Ostrich Farm Kup Championship (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68214&highlight=Ostrich). We won it last year, and the only way we could lose the Kup is if the Cubs win both spring training games against us. Series splits result in the previous year's winner retaining the Kup.

ode to veeck
03-04-2007, 08:54 AM
what is the broadcast info on the game? (which station or network(s)). I can't find it listed on directv (left coast) and I'd like to set the tivo before I head to the tennis courts this morning

Rockabilly
03-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Garland, Sisco and Aardsma are schedule to pitch today..

rhill72
03-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Here you go ODE :

Here is a complete broadcasting schedule:

http://wgntv.trb.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/wgntv-sports-sox2007,0,3415154.htmlstory

ode to veeck
03-04-2007, 09:17 AM
what is the broadcast info on the game? (which station or network(s)). I can't find it listed on directv (left coast) and I'd like to set the tivo before I head to the tennis courts this morning

well the search on tv listings at directv.com can't find any listings for "white sox" or "cubs" but it is listed when looking at WGN for today, 12-3PM Pacific time ... off to the courts now, hopefully, I'll find some video of mound stud Jon Garland when I get home with the dog later this afternoon.

Palehose Pete
03-04-2007, 09:18 AM
White Sox baseball on a Sunday afternoon... it is great to be alive. :D:

MarySwiss
03-04-2007, 09:48 AM

So, what's the over/under on how many times they bring up the Hall of Fame?

downstairs
03-04-2007, 10:59 AM
So, what's the over/under on how many times they bring up the Hall of Fame?

Not half as many as Ron Santo, himself, does on the radio.

veeter
03-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Garland, Sisco and Aardsma are schedule to pitch today..Interesting, if true. All are former cubs in one form or another. I hope we kick their ass. Especially because of Rich 'I know how the game is supposed to be played' Hill, is on the mound.

MarySwiss
03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Not half as many as Ron Santo, himself, does on the radio.

LOL! I wouldn't even be surprised if he's their 7th inning guest.

markopat
03-04-2007, 07:24 PM
That was a damn fun game to be at....Yappy cub fans for about 15 minutes prior to gametime...until Konerko just shut them up.....The nothin but a nice butt kickin and silence!! Thanks to South Side Sid...you're my boy Blue!

Markopat

Lip Man 1
03-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Even though it's only the spring, I do enjoy kicking the Cubs rear ends and deflating all of their fans.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
03-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I thought everybody looked fantastic today! Garland was strong with his 3 IPs and only one hit given up, and it was great to see Fields have a couple of great, Crede-esque plays down at third!

Offensively, it was ON- Konerko with two bombs, Dye with a 3-run shot, and even Mackowiak got in on the fun!

Sisco, Aardsma, and Danks all looked great today!!! If Coop has worked his magic on Sisco and he can get that ERA lower than the 7.10 it was at last season, our bullpen will be a force to be reckoned with!

I watched the whole game and despite the non-stop man love for Soriano (is this all they're really going to talk about all season?! Don't they know money doesn't buy championships?) and the continuous gushing about Santo being denied a place in the Hall of Fame (yawn) http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/rolleyespe9.gif, it was AWESOME to watch baseball again and even though it doesn't count, it was great to rout the Cubs! :bandance:

Brian26
03-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Don't they know money doesn't buy championships?

Money DOES buy championships. That is, if the money is distributed in the right way.

ChiSoxGirl
03-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Money DOES buy championships. That is, if the money is distributed in the right way.

Touche. I guess I meant it more along the lines of massive payrolls not necessarily buying championships, but rather the right mix of guys coming together at the perfect time.

FedEx227
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I watched the whole game and despite the non-stop man love for Soriano (is this all they're really going to talk about all season?! Don't they know money doesn't buy championships?) and the continuous gushing about Santo being denied a place in the Hall of Fame (yawn) http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/rolleyespe9.gif, it was AWESOME to watch baseball again and even though it doesn't count, it was great to rout the Cubs! :bandance:

Yeah Soriano is at "Poochie" level with the Cubs.

http://www.miss604.com/uploaded_images/poochie-752698.gif

" Soriano must always be talked about, and whenever Soriano is not on the screen all the other characters should be saying 'Where's Alfonso?' "

Ziggy S
03-04-2007, 10:14 PM

" Soriano must always be talked about, and whenever Soriano is not on the screen all the other characters should be saying 'Where's Alfonso?' "
"When you strike out, always recycle, To The Extreme."

HotelWhiteSox
03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Southside WOO! Beatdown WOO!

:rolling:

tony1972
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Just a bit off topic..this was in the Cubs minor league park..yet I was surprised how many Sox fans were there..

The last two years (even before we won the World Series)..I have noticed increasing amounts of Sox fans in road games in the seats....are Sox fans becoming like the Yankees, Red Sox, etc.? where we are all over?

Some of the road games last year had more Sox fans than home field fans (the Reds..the Pirates...)..

I even noticed a lot of Sox fans at Yankee Stadium and Fenway this year...

Could WGN be helping the Sox like it did the Cubs..?

HotelWhiteSox
03-04-2007, 10:26 PM

Also, when does the Piniella lovefest end? He has been so cliche and vanilla so far, to the point of throwing up. The one time he 'got mad' at his team for the ST game it looked so staged, and the media ate it up.

I'm sure they'll win their share of games (what a horrible league. Gotta hope for Mil/Hou to step it up) and they'll still eat it up, though the Sox were always ridiculed for being in their division in past (and the AL was better than the NL then too). LMAO, having the worst record in the worst division and league last year, sad.

GlassSox
03-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Great to watch Sox baseball again and especially sweet to see the Cubs lose.

What's with the Soriano adoration? It sure was getting annoying along with the 1/2 an inning talk with Lou the yahoo.

thomas35forever
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Today's game drew record attendance at the Cubs' park, breaking the record from last year's Cubs-Sox game on March 27. How I loved watching Paulie's second home run.

StillMissOzzie
03-04-2007, 10:39 PM

For that reason, I won't be watching the game. I'm not interested in hearing Cub management's various talking points regurgitated via Len and Bob. I can read the Cubune for that. There will be other spring games broadcast, with Hawk at the mic. I'll watch those.

But it was so much fun to hear the dejection after the beating they were handed today!

That was a damn fun game to be at....Yappy cub fans for about 15 minutes prior to gametime...until Konerko just shut them up.....The nothin but a nice butt kickin and silence!! Thanks to South Side Sid...you're my boy Blue!

Markopat

Even though it's only the spring, I do enjoy kicking the Cubs rear ends and deflating all of their fans.

Lip
You guys said it all. Pre-season, exhibition games, or the real thing...it's all good whan the Sox thump the Cubs

Also, when does the Piniella lovefest end? He has been so cliche and vanilla so far, to the point of throwing up. The one time he 'got mad' at his team for the ST game it looked so staged, and the media ate it up.

I'll give it about 6-8 weeks, but no longer than the end of May. Lou should have seen enough no-hustle, fundamentally unsound baseball by that point to raise his blood pressure to the bursting point.

Back to the game...I realize that this is a no-win situation in a debate with Cub fans. The Sox win, they say "So what? You beat the minor leaguers who won't make the team.". Should the Cubs win, then it's "HA! We beat your team with our minor leaguers! Sox suck!". Other than Soriano, the Sox pretty much beat them all, the MLB starters as well as the minor leaguers. It's still better to win though!

SMO
:gulp:

PatK
03-05-2007, 08:29 AM
I agree with everyone saying that it was a non-stop Cubs lovefest.

The Soriano talk. The "Santo not being in the Hall is a sin" talk. The worst may have been when they brought Jim Hendry in to talk about all the "exciting" moves the Cubs made.

Has anybody told them you actually have to play and win games?

I admit, I did laugh when they were discussing the new rule on scuffing/damaging baseballs (which is an automatic 10 game suspension), and Brenly said that Konerko is going to get 10 games for destroying the ball on his second homer.

The Immigrant
03-05-2007, 08:57 AM
The non-stop Cubfest continued on last night's "Instant Replay" with Dan "Wonder Hair" Roan. They had an extensive discussion of the Cubs roster, a preview of Prior and Wood's scheduled appearance, and even a segment with Len and Bob. Other than a brief game recap, not a word on the Sox. The Tribune's full court media press has officially begun.

Viva Medias B's
03-05-2007, 09:07 AM
The non-stop Cubfest continued on last night's "Instant Replay" with Dan "Wonder Hair" Roan. They had an extensive discussion of the Cubs roster, a preview of Prior and Wood's scheduled appearance, and even a segment with Len and Bob. Other than a brief game recap, not a word on the Sox. The Tribune's full court media press has officially begun.

They didn't even mention our 2007 Pinal County Ostrich Farm Kup Championship?

Jaffar
03-05-2007, 09:08 AM

The Soriano talk. The "Santo not being in the Hall is a sin" talk. The worst may have been when they brought Jim Hendry in to talk about all the "exciting" moves the Cubs made.

I admit, I did laugh when they were discussing the new rule on scuffing/damaging baseballs (which is an automatic 10 game suspension), and Brenly said that Konerko is going to get 10 games for destroying the ball on his second homer.

I love how Hendry made a comment about players like Soriano signing with the Cubs because they had Sweet Lou signed. Does he really expect people to believe that Soriano or any of the other overpayed free agents would have turned down that kind of scratch regardless who the manager is? I also liked how they talked about Soriano and how he led the NL in outfield assists and left out the errors part and then discussed that even though he takes bad routes (happened right after a play in center when he was way off) he is such a great athlete that he can make up for it. Why didn't being such a "great athlete" help him play second better?

comet2k
03-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I listened to the last few innings on the car radio and Pat Hughes and Ron Santo were priceless.

In the ninth, with the Sox clearly headed to victory, Hughes and Santo were droning on about rules changes for 2007. After the Sox got three straight hits, including two long doubles, Santo suddenly asked, "Hey, who is that kid pitching for the Cubs now?"

Hughes replied, "Uh, that's Bob Howry."

Santo said, "That's Howry? Oh," and went back to the rules discussion.

Santo's a great guy and was a great player, but he didn't even know if the Cubs' minor league team in Tennessee was AA or A.

russ99
03-05-2007, 10:45 AM

I kind of expected that, being in Mesa with a Cubs crew, but why wasn't there a Sox radio broadcast yesterday? Still, that was a really nice beatdown by the Sox to take the air out of the "Cubbie Swagger" balloon!!

There better be a Sox crew for the game in Tuscon...

downstairs
03-05-2007, 11:04 AM
I love how Hendry made a comment about players like Soriano signing with the Cubs because they had Sweet Lou signed.

He also said the Soriano signing was easier because Aramis Ramirez was signed. Please. Soriano, an average player at best, would take that monster contract from Tampa Bat if they offered it to him.

That cr*p only files if the team has some inkling of proof that it can be a winner. This is a team coming off a nearly 100-loss season. They were the worst team in the National League last year.

Yeah, they spent money and will improve. But all reasonable bets puts that at improving to something near a .500 team.

However, Alfonso could care less- that sort of money sure shores up the frustrations of wearing Cubbie blue on a .500 Cubbie team.

nlentz88
03-05-2007, 11:14 AM

And that is why my friends and I (including a couple of Cubs fans) listened to the Bulls-Bucks game on the radio while watching the Cubs-Sox game on a muted TV.

:hawk
"I love multi-tasking."

FedEx227
03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I love how Hendry made a comment about players like Soriano signing with the Cubs because they had Sweet Lou signed. Does he really expect people to believe that Soriano or any of the other overpayed free agents would have turned down that kind of scratch regardless who the manager is? I also liked how they talked about Soriano and how he led the NL in outfield assists and left out the errors part and then discussed that even though he takes bad routes (happened right after a play in center when he was way off) he is such a great athlete that he can make up for it. Why didn't being such a "great athlete" help him play second better?

I loved that too.

Athletics aren't going to help you make up for horrible bad reads when you're playing in Minute Maid and Petco, but hey I'm counting down the days.

But yeah, being a great athlete sure made him the worst defensive 2B in baseball for a good 3-4 years.

johnr1note
03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I listened to the last few innings on the car radio and Pat Hughes and Ron Santo were priceless.

In the ninth, with the Sox clearly headed to victory, Hughes and Santo were droning on about rules changes for 2007. After the Sox got three straight hits, including two long doubles, Santo suddenly asked, "Hey, who is that kid pitching for the Cubs now?"

Hughes replied, "Uh, that's Bob Howry."

Santo said, "That's Howry? Oh," and went back to the rules discussion.

Santo's a great guy and was a great player, but he didn't even know if the Cubs' minor league team in Tennessee was AA or A.

Well, Pat and Ron obviously don't read the Sox media guide either. I was listening to the game on WGN Radio.

After Lee's homerun off Haeger, something akin to the following conversation occurred as he threw to the next batter . . .

Pat: "You know Ron, it looks like Haeger is throwing some kind of trick pitch. Is that a knuckleball?"

[pause]

Ron: "I don't know Pat. [Pause] Well, its got more movement than a change up. I think it IS a knuckleball."

[After next pitch]

Pat: "That's a knuckler alright."

Ron: "Wow. You just don't expect to see that sort of thing from a guy that size."

What rock are these guys sleeping under? I know Haeger was only on the ML roster for brief tours last year, but ALL the press on Haeger has him as knuckle ball pitcher.

rdivaldi
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Well, Pat and Ron obviously don't read the Sox media guide either. I was listening to the game on WGN Radio.

After Lee's homerun off Haeger, something akin to the following conversation occurred as he threw to the next batter . . .

Pat: "You know Ron, it looks like Haeger is throwing some kind of trick pitch. Is that a knuckleball?"

[pause]

Ron: "I don't know Pat. [Pause] Well, its got more movement than a change up. I think it IS a knuckleball."

[After next pitch]

Pat: "That's a knuckler alright."

Ron: "Wow. You just don't expect to see that sort of thing from a guy that size."

What rock are these guys sleeping under? I know Haeger was only on the ML roster for brief tours last year, but ALL the press on Haeger has him as knuckle ball pitcher.

I heard that as well and was equally as flabbergasted. But that might show you the mindset of WGN and the Tribsters. "We care about all five teams in Chicago, the Cubs, Cubs, Cubs, Cubs and the Cubs."

To not know that Haeger is a knuckleball pitcher is inexcusible for people that are paid to be sports announcers. If he was playing in low A last year, maybe. But not for a AAA All-Star that pitched in the majors last year.

SBSoxFan
03-05-2007, 12:07 PM

:roflmao:

I'm glad I gave up when i found that the game wasn't on 670. I don't know if I could have taken those 2 on the radio, but I likely would have tried. :puking: