PDA

View Full Version : Floyds outing today.

JermaineDye05
03-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Not bad, 3.0 IP 2 hits and 1 run. The only thing that irks me is he had 2 walks, wish I could have been able to watch the start though to really see how good he was.

He gone
03-03-2007, 05:04 PM
D-backs announcers said that Floyd's only pitch that he was getting over was his Fastball :?:

JermaineDye05
03-03-2007, 05:09 PM
D-backs announcers said that Floyd's only pitch that he was getting over was his Fastball :?:

yikes, well only the first spring training outing hopefully he'll learn to get that nasty curve over for a strike more consistantly.

veeter
03-03-2007, 05:38 PM
D-backs announcers said that Floyd's only pitch that he was getting over was his Fastball :?:I don't care how he gets them out. As long as he does. Good job Gavin.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2007, 05:40 PM

He threw a couple mean sliders but his curve was nothing special. It was still a better outing than Vasquez.

oeo
03-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't care how he gets them out. As long as he does. Good job Gavin.

If all he could throw was a fastball, and he had those numbers, that's great. Just wait until the rest does work.

WhiteSox5187
03-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Yea, guys, Buerhle and Garland only threw fastballs and changeups. I'm not going to get too excited (but this was a VERY good sign) about any outting now. Now, in late March we want our guys to start striking guys out and not giving up runs. But for now, this is no big deal.

veeter
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Yea, guys, Buerhle and Garland only threw fastballs and changeups. I'm not going to get too excited (but this was a VERY good sign) about any outting now. Now, in late March we want our guys to start striking guys out and not giving up runs. But for now, this is no big deal.This IS a big deal. Any one game or outing can become the catalyst for a players increased confidence. Will this little three inning stint be that outing? Maybe not, but it's something to build on.

goon
03-03-2007, 07:10 PM
He threw a couple mean sliders but his curve was nothing special. It was still a better outing than Vasquez.

that's good news, because the only pitches I ever heard about and seen were his fastball and curve.

soxinem1
03-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I'll comment on Floyd in August. By then we will know if he is a major leaguer.

RowanDye
03-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I'll comment on Floyd in August. By then we will know if he is a major leaguer.

Well it's a good thing you have nothing to do with the decision making, I think August would be a little late to decide who the 5th starter should be.

WizardsofOzzie
03-03-2007, 07:54 PM
that's good news, because the only pitches I ever heard about and seen were his fastball and curve.
As far as i knew, all he had was a 4 seam fastball, curveball, and an average changeup

DMarte708
03-03-2007, 08:38 PM
He has this spring training to find his control.

If he doesn't, our scouts and/or Williams should owe it to their fans to explain why they coveted Floyd when nearly every piece of evidence (aside from Arizona fall starts) suggested this guy isn't very good.

A. Cavatica
03-03-2007, 08:48 PM

If he doesn't, our scouts and/or Williams should owe it to their fans to explain why they coveted Floyd when nearly every piece of evidence (aside from Arizona fall starts) suggested this guy isn't very good.

Agreed. Not only has he pitched badly in the majors, he's pitched badly in AAA. We can't afford to carry him and let him work things out in Chicago.

Frater Perdurabo
03-03-2007, 08:53 PM
If the game was in Tuscon, at a higher altitude, a curveball wouldn't have much bite due to the thinner air.

oeo
03-03-2007, 09:00 PM

Who said he was coveted? I think Gio was the guy that was coveted.

rainbow6
03-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen.

Who said he was coveted? I think Gio was the guy that was coveted.

03-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I had the pleasure of being at the game today sitting 8th row directly behind Ozzie's seat next to the dugout.

Floyd looked very good to me. Of course he was trying to get more control going with his fastballs than anything else but thats what Spring Training is about.

One funny comment. Ozzie ran after Floyd walking off the field in the 2nd because he was ignoring the runner on third. Absolutely ripping him a new one. Great moment to witness. Mostly because the following inning when Floyd was all over the guy on 1st, Ozzie ran up to Floyd coming off the field in the 3rd and was so positive with his composure and enthusiastically giving him a big boost on the positive outing.

I think we're going to be happy with Gavin Floyd.

Thornton was just as we left him last year.

Logan needs alot of control work.

Crede had a hilarious error in which the ball went directly into his jersey and he had no idea where it was. Classic.

Uribe played very very solid on D and also had a RBI double.

The rest went pretty standard.

Chris Young didn't look very good. He tore it up when I saw him face the Giants last year. I'm disappointed I didn't get to see either Webb or Randy Johnson a little.

WhiteSox5187
03-04-2007, 12:20 AM

Well, I'm sure there is A LOT of potential in the guy that Coop might be able to coax out. But that potential has to be changed into action REAL quick. I'm not interested in prospects. I want to win NOW and down the road. I'm not willing to sit around and wait for Floyd to develop.