PDA

View Full Version : Which side of the infield would you rather have?

Jjav829
03-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Hypothetically speaking, if you could choose one of the two sides to build your team around, which would you rather have?

I think I'd probably take the Mets left side, mainly because of their age, but I think it's a close call.

Vernam
03-03-2007, 02:08 PM
I couldn't vote against Howard, even if Philly didn't have a stud like Utley next to him.

Check out this cool multimedia breakdown of Howard's swing, from the NY Times: http://tinyurl.com/3xj8dt

Vernam

daveeym
03-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I couldn't vote against Howard, even if Philly didn't have a stud like Utley next to him.

Check out this cool multimedia breakdown of Howard's swing, from the NY Times: http://tinyurl.com/3xj8dt

Vernam
Pretty much what I was thinking.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Hypothetically speaking, if you could choose one of the two sides to build your team around, which would you rather have?

I think I'd probably take the Mets left side, mainly because of their age, but I think it's a close call.

I would have to agree with age and potential but I don't think it is close as you are conceding. The Phillies have a huge home ballpark advantage to inflate their numbers vs. Reyes and Wright. I think Reyes and Wright will blow away Howard and Utley when all is said and done, and that is not taking into consideration the fact that SS & 3B are more valuable than 2B & 1B.

Win shares = Win Shares accumulated to date.

Jose Reyes - Age 23 - 60 Win Shares
David Wright - Age 24 - 65 Win Shares

Ryan Howard - Age 27 - 40 Win Shares
Chase Utley - Age 28 - 65 Win Shares

Brian26
03-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Of the four guys, I think Chase Utley may be the only one who possibly overperformed last year. If I had to pick a tandem, I'd go with Wright and Reyes over the longhaul.

QCIASOXFAN
03-03-2007, 08:30 PM
This could be one of the closest polls I have ever voted in. I went Reyes and Wright, but not by much.

IndianWhiteSox
03-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I know that Ryan Howard is a beast who could hit 600+ HRS in his career and I'm also aware of the fact that Chase Utley is capable of batting .375 in a season. However, I have to pick Reyes and Wright because they are just the total package. Reyes is at least 20HR/200H/60SB/.300AVG type of player and with Wright as a 30HR/120RBI/20SB/.311AVG player. I just think that I'd rather take the SS over the 1B when it really comes down to it.

FedEx227
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
No doubt Wright and Reyes, give me guys who can hit for power, avg and ran steal some bases over a guy who just hits homers. I love Howard as much as the next guy but collectively Wright/Reyes are younger and have more things to offer.

UserNameBlank
03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Howard and Utley no doubt. That kind of contact and power in the IF makes a team very, very easy to build around because you can put a decent defender at SS and 3B and not worry much at all about power. For example, a team could probably pick up say Corey Koskie and Cesar Izturis for next to nothing and automatically have a very nice IF. Plus if you add a couple power bats, either in the OF or one in the OF and a DH, and a decent defensive catcher, you have a nice team on the field, which allows a club to focus resources on SP.

Besides, the Phils aren't doing too bad with Rollins over at SS as well. If I could have any IF in baseball, I'd take theirs.

The Racehorse
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
If I were building a team, and had a choice between these two scenarios, I'd go with the left side.

Too me, after the talent pool has dried up, it's easier to hold the line with banjo-hitting second baseman that are good with the glove & slow-footed first baseman with some pop and who can pick it, then upgrade later, than the other way around.

Murphy10
03-05-2007, 07:25 AM
I think I would go with the speed and defense of the Mets left side. Also David Wright brings a ton of pop to his bat, nothing to Ryan Howard However. Also I just happen to like Jose Reyes a lot more than I like Chase Utley. The good thing about Howard is that he's only like 26 or something. But in the end I'd still take the Mets.

rusjam1961
03-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Second base right now is a deserted wasteland for power numbers except for Utley. While Wright and Reyes are very good, Howard and Utley are exceptional. There are likely 7 3B's with Wrights numbers (including our very own Joe) and Reyes had 1 excellent year. Its very hard to choose between these two but give me the Phillies right side.

Thome25
03-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I live in the Philly-area so I had to vote Howard-Utley. I see them get talked about on a regular basis and there's no doubt who the better combo is.

Utley-Howard are absolute beasts.

esbrechtel
03-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Second base right now is a deserted wasteland for power numbers except for Utley. While Wright and Reyes are very good, Howard and Utley are exceptional. There are likely 7 3B's with Wrights numbers (including our very own Joe) and Reyes had 1 excellent year. Its very hard to choose between these two but give me the Phillies right side.
I agree!

SouthSide_HitMen
03-05-2007, 07:57 PM

The difference is Wright and Reyes are producing their numbers at an age where most major league players are wrapping up college & starting their minor league career or as high school draft picks playing in AA or AAA or possibly breaking into the majors. Meanwhile, Reyes and Wright are producing at an All Star level.

Utley and Howard have most likely peaked. Wright and Reyes have years to improve.

Thome25
03-06-2007, 09:14 AM
The difference is Wright and Reyes are producing their numbers at an age where most major league players are wrapping up college & starting their minor league career or as high school draft picks playing in AA or AAA or possibly breaking into the majors. Meanwhile, Reyes and Wright are producing at an All Star level.

Utley and Howard have most likely peaked. Wright and Reyes have years to improve.

Utley and Howard may have peaked but I don't think Wright and Reyes will ever reach their level of production even if they have a ways to go to reach their peak.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Utley and Howard may have peaked but I don't think Wright and Reyes will ever reach their level of production even if they have a ways to go to reach their peak.

Wright and Reyes have already surpassed their production and they have 8 years to spare.

FedEx227
03-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Wright and Reyes have already surpassed their production and they have 8 years to spare.

Exactly. Reyes and Wright are collectively ALREADY better and both are tremendously younger. With that being said, Reyes has skills that will go down as he gets older, but alot of people are forgetting he showed some real flashes of power last year.

Jjav829
03-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Exactly. Reyes and Wright are collectively ALREADY better and both are tremendously younger. With that being said, Reyes has skills that will go down as he gets older, but alot of people are forgetting he showed some real flashes of power last year.

I think the most impressive thing about Reyes is his significant improvement in plate discipline. When he first came up, you couldn't walk him if you tried. Yet last year he walked 53 times. Now that's not a great number, but it's a huge step up from 27 walks in his first full season.

FedEx227
03-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I think the most impressive thing about Reyes is his significant improvement in plate discipline. When he first came up, you couldn't walk him if you tried. Yet last year he walked 53 times. Now that's not a great number, but it's a huge step up from 27 walks in his first full season.

It is ridiculous how much he improves year by year.

captainclutch24
03-06-2007, 06:55 PM
If I couldn't have that as my entire infield and personelly, I would trade our starting infield plus Haegar, Danks and Anderson for them I would take the Mets side of the infield. So much youth and unbelievable talent.

soxinem1
03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
You cannot lose with either tandem, but I give a narrow edge defensively to Reyes and Wright. But those two Phillies are monsters.

Either way, you come up a winner.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Reyes > Utley
Howard >>> Wright

Howard has 60 HR potential, no doubting that. I don't see Wright ever coming close to 50, much less surpassing 45 homers. All four of these guys are AWESOME players, yes. But I'd rather have Howard in the middle of my lineup absolutely dominating pitchers and changing the game like Barry Bonds used to do a few years ago (but Howard is doing it without steriods - at least his name hasn't been mentioned nor do I believe he uses them), and have him do this for 5-7 years or whatever he has left. Utley is a very unique player with so many tools. Reyes is pretty much speed, speed, and more speed. Yes he has 10-15 HR ability and will get you 10+ triples and 30+ 2Bs every year to go along with 60+ SBs, which is great. But Utley can also swipe some bags and he has 30+ HR ability.

Here are each combo's total stats from last year;

Howard/Utley: .311 BA, .402 OBP, 235 R, 90 HR, 251 RBI, 65 2B, 5 3B, 171 BB, 313 K, 15 SB

Wright/Reyes: .306 BA, .368 OBP, 218 R, 45 HR, 197 RBI, 70 2B, 22 3B, 119 BB, 194 K, 84 SB

Some may argue that the Phillies play in a hitter friendly ballpark and that helps Utley and Howard's stats, but I would counter that with the players each combo plays with. The Phillies don't have a Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado, Paul Lo Duca, or a Shawn Green/Cliff Floyd.