PDA

View Full Version : Rogers weighs in on McCarthy feud

caulfield12
03-03-2007, 10:48 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070302rogersim,1,5709995.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Of course, Tribune banner...

"Guillen goes off on ex-Sox" in 22 point font. There's actually two articles there about the same thing.

rocky biddle
03-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Does Phil have some sort of infatuation with McCarthy? First he dubs him a 'polished workhorse' and now he's a 'solid professional'. By the time the season starts he'll be 'future Hall of Famer and humanitarian leader' Brandon McCarthy.

cws05champ
03-03-2007, 12:20 PM
In this case I think Phil is right....Guillen just needs to calm down about comments made through th media. He just needs to be the better man and say that's not the way it was, and tell the media he'll talk to McCarthy when he can directly.

dickallen15
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Phil happens to be right, Guillen's rant was a cheap shot. Not everything at the Tribune is anti-White Sox. The team and its individuals do have some flaws. Why is it always the White Sox who get into these hissing fights with ex-players? Why was it Ozzie was the one who popped off about the Cubs pitcher who while being totally wrong, stood up for his teammate? If another manager would have called one of the White Sox scrubs a minor league piece of ****, this board would be full of post denouncing said manager. Ozzie needs to tone it down and concentrate on the White Sox. They have a tough road ahead, and even with the highest payroll in the division, finished third last season. The ex-players should be the least of his concern. Besides, McCarthy didn't even say anything very bad.

WizardsofOzzie
03-03-2007, 02:21 PM
without even reading the article, all i have to say is... :whocares

tony1972
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I do agree with the article..it was a cheap shot.

I love the White Sox and the franchise..but one thing I cannot tolerate that the Sox seem to do (GM, Managers,etc.) is how they smear or trash players in the media once they are gone..or on their way to leaving.

An example is Buerhle..if MB is asking for too much money..I agree with JR and Kenny about not overpaying a player..but it seems they have to quietly smear that player to make it seem "oh..it wasn't about the money..he wasn't a team player..aren't you guys glad he's gone?"..i/e the Cardinals hat remarks (gee Mark is from Missouri..how dare he go to the World Series and cheer on the Cardinals!)

This also happend with Carlos Lee (a secret clubhouse cancer we did not know about until he was traded)..Magglio was trashed..etc.

I don't care if you trade guys or do not re-sign them because they want ridiculous amounts of money...but be honest about it. Don't make them seem like the bad guys..who would want to play or be signed by the Sox if they knew they were going to be de-famed once they were gone?

I wouldn't. JR, Kenny and Ozzie need to demonstrate a little class sometimes and just take the high road.

ewokpelts
03-03-2007, 04:42 PM
I do agree with the article..it was a cheap shot.

I love the White Sox and the franchise..but one thing I cannot tolerate that the Sox seem to do (GM, Managers,etc.) is how they smear or trash players in the media once they are gone..or on their way to leaving.

An example is Buerhle..if MB is asking for too much money..I agree with JR and Kenny about not overpaying a player..but it seems they have to quietly smear that player to make it seem "oh..it wasn't about the money..he wasn't a team player..aren't you guys glad he's gone?"..i/e the Cardinals hat remarks (gee Mark is from Missouri..how dare he go to the World Series and cheer on the Cardinals!)

This also happend with Carlos Lee (a secret clubhouse cancer we did not know about until he was traded)..Magglio was trashed..etc.

I don't care if you trade guys or do not re-sign them because they want ridiculous amounts of money...but be honest about it. Don't make them seem like the bad guys..who would want to play or be signed by the Sox if they knew they were going to be de-famed once they were gone?

I wouldn't. JR, Kenny and Ozzie need to demonstrate a little class sometimes and just take the high road.Jerry has gotten better. Most of his comments now are matter of fact. He admitted he was shocked Burlz rejected the 3 years deal AFTER the season ended, but that the market proved Burlz right in doing so.

munchman33
03-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't understand why everyone takes light the comments McCarthy made. He was pretty much saying that the problem was the coaching staff, and their attitude towards him. Of course Guillen is going to respond to that. I know if it was me, I would.

WhiteSox5187
03-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Jerry has gotten better. Most of his comments now are matter of fact. He admitted he was shocked Burlz rejected the 3 years deal AFTER the season ended, but that the market proved Burlz right in doing so.
JR just hardly talks anymore. He lets Kenny and Ozzie do the talking for him.

The Immigrant
03-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I don't understand why everyone takes light the comments McCarthy made. He was pretty much saying that the problem was the coaching staff, and their attitude towards him. Of course Guillen is going to respond to that. I know if it was me, I would.

Exactly. If those comments are at all reflective of his attitude, I couldn't be happier he is gone.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-04-2007, 09:33 AM

I agree. Getting traded is a lot like getting fired from your first job. It's natural to feel resentment. The only thing remarkable about any of this is that Ozzie felt obligated to return fire. On second thought... that's just Ozzie's way... nothing remarkable about it all all.

:cool:

And a special note to Brandon McCarthy: I'm sure the vaunted pitching corps of the mighty Texas Rangers is 100 percent attributable to the crack group of pitching coaches they've employed through the years...

The Texas Rangers... pitching their way to multiple world championships for 35 years now!