PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Rockies game on Thursday

rdivaldi
03-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Got done reviewing the game saw some good things from some of the young pitchers.

Logan was zipping strike after strike after strike in with some nice pop. When Boone is on, the catcher's mitt barely moves, he really hits his spots well. I imagine he elevated his status with that performance.

Adam Russell also had good command of his fastball and I was very impressed with his velocity which was consistently 93- 95. He was dropping his arm slot to 3/4 to pitch inside to right handers with his fastball as well. His walks were extremely quesitonable, I thought the home plate umpire was awful. But his breaking pitches were very flat with little bite or control, I've seen his slider much better. The Arizona dry air probably had a bit to do with that.

Charlie Haeger looked good, his knuckle had decent bite and the only pitches of his that were getting hit hard were when he tried to sneak his fastball by a couple of guys. Steve Finley scalded one, but luckily it went foul.

Heath Phillips on the other hand didn't look too good. His offspeed pitches were flat and his fastball was all over the place. He was throwing quite a bit slower than usual so he's probably needs a couple of outings to get back up to speed.

Malone and Tracey looked the worse of the group, neither had much command nor much pop on their pitches. Basically I fast forwarded through their innings after witnessing a couple of batters.

Anyone else witness the game via TV or live?

KRS1
03-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Anyone else witness the game via TV or live?

I watched it on FSNRM yesterday, and posted my impressions in the game thread. I agree with you on all counts, except the pop part on Sean Tracey. He had his sinker at 88-91, and had his 4-seamer going from 93-96. His command was pretty aweful, but at least he displayed good heat on his fastball.

On to Russell. Couldn't agree more about his off-spead pitches, the change looked pretty bad and his breaking ball was just rolling up there. Do you know if he has a 4-seamer, a 2-seamer, AND a sinker, because it looked like it to me. He kept throwing, what looked liked a 2-seam right around 90 as well as a hard sinker at the same speed. Are these two different piches, or was the camera angle playing tricks on me with the different locations of the pitches(he was spotting the sinker outside, and the 2-seam in on the hands).

Boone was just great out there. His hard fastball had some nice cut on it, and his sinker looked really decieving. I love his two different breaking balls, and I'm sure the batters did too. Just being able to chuck a hard slider in there in the mid 80's and slow it down into a slurve in the high 70's, while commanding both as good as he did impressed the heck outta me.

Haeger got away with some pitches, but like I said in the gamethread, "Could be a testiment to how good his knuckler is, or just how the hitters are rusty." I kept waiting to see if he's going to use the slurve Ozzie and Joey wanted him to try out, but he didn't let it out yesterday, perhaps he'll wait until he's completely stretched out to do that.

caulfield12
03-03-2007, 05:38 AM
Tracey and Phillips (and of course Malone) seem like they are all going to be on the outside looking in.

Something about Tracey's mechanics has never appealed to me. It's just impossible for me to feel comfortable when he's out there pitching for some reason.

To tell the truth, we got a good arm in Lujan back for Chris Stewart...we can trade Rogowski, Gonzalez or Lopez and then Phillips/Tracey/Malone and get some more pitchers back to supplement Kannapolis and Winston-Salem.

rdivaldi
03-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I watched it on FSNRM yesterday, and posted my impressions in the game thread. I agree with you on all counts, except the pop part on Sean Tracey. He had his sinker at 88-91, and had his 4-seamer going from 93-96. His command was pretty aweful, but at least he displayed good heat on his fastball.

I went back and watched Sean's inning again and you're right he was popping his 4 seamer in there, I fast forwarded through the at bats when he was featuring it. My bad.
:redface:

KRS1
03-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Just thought I'd go back to this thread to comment on something I said earlier on. Adam does indeed appear to throw both a true 2-seamer, and a sinker. He had his 4-seam from 94-97 today, a 2-seamer from 92-94, and the sinker from 90-92. He should really work on developing a nice changeup with all those fastablls, because hitters would be thrown off a ton. Right now his stuff would look sweet in the pen, but if he wants to start, he'll need to throw a more consistent change.

rdivaldi
03-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Just thought I'd go back to this thread to comment on something I said earlier on. Adam does indeed appear to throw both a true 2-seamer, and a sinker. He had his 4-seam from 94-97 today, a 2-seamer from 92-94, and the sinker from 90-92. He should really work on developing a nice changeup with all those fastablls, because hitters would be thrown off a ton. Right now his stuff would look sweet in the pen, but if he wants to start, he'll need to throw a more consistent change.

Of all the young pitchers Adam has impressed me the most to date. He's hitting his spots much more consistently than last year and his velocity is up a couple ticks IMO. It's pretty much a waiting game for Adam now, I'll be interested to see how he peforms in AA. Last year I was pretty sure he was going to be a major league pitcher, now I know for sure he's going to be a major league pitcher barring injury.

Randar68
03-12-2007, 01:35 PM

Yep, I still don't see an off-speed pitch I'd call anything more than mediocre/questionable. I love the way he's progressed velocity-wise. Looks in much better shape than when he first reported to the minors, too.