PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Howard Picks Up Where He Left Off

RKMeibalane
03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Link (http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070302&content_id=1822517&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi)

WizardsofOzzie
03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Hours after the Phillies announced a renewal at $900,000 for the reigning National League Most Valuable Player, Howard may have given the alligators a lunchtime treat.

A fantastic steal for Philly

soxfan13
03-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Talk about a bargain. If he stays healthy I would hate to be the team that signs his free agent contract!!!

ND_Sox_Fan
03-03-2007, 01:59 PM
A fantastic steal for Philly

Stupid union contract that doesn't allow these guys to get paid what they are worth.

Dan the Man
03-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Philly fans will never let the organization live this down if they can't get Howard long-term.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Stupid union contract that doesn't allow these guys to get paid what they are worth.

:?:

WizardsofOzzie
03-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes, I'm sure he's living in poverty with his 900K. :violin:
He'll get his payday and then he'll get 100+ million if he keeps his production up. Don't be such a drama queen

chaerulez
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Uh, no. The union basically makes players pay their dues so you can't cash in unless you have had six years of service time. Unless you are a highly drafted prospect, in that case, you will already be a millionare. I wouldn't question the operations of the MLBPA, they have done everything possible in the best interest of the players and is probably the strongest of all the major sports unions.

ewokpelts
03-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Howard will get his payday. Just like albert.

ND_Sox_Fan
03-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Howard will get his payday. Just like albert.

Assuming he doesn't get hurt, yes he will.

After thinking about it a little more, the "service time" requirement might be better thought of as a patent for owners to keep their own developed talent for a little while at a cheap price.

I am just not a fan of union contracts that limit the market forces. Howard's 2006 was probably worth $20 million plus, not $900k.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I am just not a fan of union contracts that limit the market forces. Howard's 2006 was probably worth $20 million plus, not $900k.

Excellent players like Howard may get less than they're worth but the union contract also guarantees that the lowliest scrub in the majors gets $375k+ a year. The players and owners are happy with the compromise as evident by the relative ease in renewing the CBA.

veeter
03-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Our very own Mark Buerhle was renewed once. Everything worked out with him. At least 'til now.

ND_Sox_Fan
03-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Excellent players like Howard may get less than they're worth but the union contract also guarantees that the lowliest scrub in the majors gets $375k+ a year.

Exactly - something I don't like either. It is just not the way that our market system was designed to work. Whenever you have a union-type contract and set pay for service instead of merit, you end up with the best workers subsidizing the weaker ones.

I think the contract was quickly signed because neither side wanted the messy PR/media battle again, and both sides probably do feel comfortable with it - right or wrong from a market stand point.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Exactly - something I don't like either. It is just not the way that our market system was designed to work. Whenever you have a union-type contract and set pay for service instead of merit, you end up with the best workers subsidizing the weaker ones.

I think the contract was quickly signed because neither side wanted the messy PR/media battle again, and both sides probably do feel comfortable with it - right or wrong from a market stand point.

The owners would never agree to a purely market driven salary criteria. Many of the players wouldn't either.

ewokpelts
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Assuming he doesn't get hurt, yes he will.

After thinking about it a little more, the "service time" requirement might be better thought of as a patent for owners to keep their own developed talent for a little while at a cheap price.

I am just not a fan of union contracts that limit the market forces. Howard's 2006 was probably worth $20 million plus, not $900k.well....look at the nba for the other end of the debate...kevin garnett made 12 MILLION even before he touched a basketball as a pro.

IndianWhiteSox
03-04-2007, 02:09 PM
well....look at the nba for the other end of the debate...kevin garnett made 12 MILLION even before he touched a basketball as a pro.

As itsnotrequired once told me, that's a completely different story.