PDA

View Full Version : BA Top 100 has four Sox

California Sox
03-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Baseball America released its Top 100 Prospects today.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263445.html

Sox are well represented with Fields at 45, Sweeney at 55, Danks at 56, and Gio at 72. I think what that means is that in their opinion the Sox have four solid major leaguers, but maybe no real All Star types.

Chris Young is number 12 and they say:

White Sox fans still can't believe their club traded his 30-30 potential to get Javier Vazquez.

I actually think opinion is pretty split on that. A lot of people including Ozzie think Vazquez could win 20 this year.

SoxxoS
03-02-2007, 11:23 AM
I bet Kenny would take the trade back now if he could..but no sense crying over spilled milk.

Thought Gio would be higher...I think they are placing too much emphasis on his small frame and not on his production.

maurice
03-02-2007, 01:11 PM
IMO, it's significant that the 4 top Sox prospects all will be at AAA (or higher) in 2007. There are a lot of "ETA 2009"s on that list and even a few "ETA 2010"s. This is particularly significant for pitchers.

Dan the Man
03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
A lot of people including Ozzie think Vazquez could win 20 this year.

If he could have gotten out of the 6th inning last year, I think he had a decent chance at 18 wins or so.

chaerulez
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
If Vazquez wins 15 games, much less 20 I'll be happy.

However, Chris Young should be a pretty damn good player regardless.

He gone
03-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I actually think opinion is pretty split on that. A lot of people including Ozzie think Vazquez could win 20 this year.

To do that Ozzie would have to yank him after the 5th inning of every game :D:

caulfield12
03-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Baseball America released its Top 100 Prospects today.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263445.html

Sox are well represented with Fields at 45, Sweeney at 55, Danks at 56, and Gio at 72. I think what that means is that in their opinion the Sox have four solid major leaguers, but maybe no real All Star types.

Chris Young is number 12 and they say:

I don't think CY will get 30 steals, probably 15-18.

jabrch
03-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Where's Jeremy Reed on that list? Oh - you mean he's not there either?

I'll trade a Chris Young type prospect given our OF depth in the organization for a Javier Vazquez (given his contract status) type every time.

caulfield12
03-03-2007, 01:01 PM

I'll trade a Chris Young type prospect given our OF depth in the organization for a Javier Vazquez (given his contract status) type every time.

The main problem here is that Sweeney and Anderson are not (at least now) legitimate 30 home run candidates. If we lose Dye and Crede, we're going to be hurting for power and production from the OF.

Yeah, CY could become the next Daryl Boston, Jimmy Hurst or Kenny Williams. Or he could become an All-Star.

EDIT: Tyler Lumsden was under serious consideration for the Top 100 as well. Jim Callis picked CY for NL Rookie of the Year and Dice-K for AL ROY.

veeter
03-03-2007, 02:53 PM

I'll trade a Chris Young type prospect given our OF depth in the organization for a Javier Vazquez (given his contract status) type every time.I totally agree. But as it stands, I think both Young and Vasquez are over-rated. Vasquez winning 20? I don't think so. And Chris Young has done nothing yet. We'll see what happens. Writers just love to rip KW.

munchman33
03-03-2007, 04:54 PM

With all respect to Ryan Sweeney and the great player he's probably going to become, I'd trade all those minor league outfielders for Young. You don't find many 30-30 CFer types, and Chris Young is about as close to can't miss as you can get.

jabrch
03-04-2007, 10:01 AM
With all respect to Ryan Sweeney and the great player he's probably going to become, I'd trade all those minor league outfielders for Young. You don't find many 30-30 CFer types, and Chris Young is about as close to can't miss as you can get.

Entirely possible - but I've heard that story before.

In any case, a 200+ IP starter signed reasonably for multiple years who had 4 seasons with an ERA under 4.05 before going to NY is worth, in my eyes, almost any single prospect. (I'm not talking about a TOP TOP TOP prospect, but that's not what Young is either)

caulfield12
03-04-2007, 11:01 AM

This is like the long, long list of the "next Michael Jordan" or the "next Willie Mays."

For every overhyped prospect like Eric Davis, there might be one player in his generation that is a legit, steroid free 30-30 type of player.

Young might hit 30 homers per season, but there's not much in his background to indicate he has the technique to steal 30 bases per season consistently...unless he learns it at the big league level.

I'll put it another way...would you rather have Chris Young or Corey Patterson? Corey is arguably the best CFer in baseball and easily should average a 20/20 each year. Same with Mike Cameron when he first came up, but neither player will get a single HOF after their careers are over.

I just think BA and all scouts fall in love with the toolsy players (see Borchard) and overestimate their ability to transition and produce at the big league level. Will CY make enough contact to be an everday player? We'll just have to wait and see.

California Sox
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
This is like the long, long list of the "next Michael Jordan" or the "next Willie Mays."

For every overhyped prospect like Eric Davis, there might be one player in his generation that is a legit, steroid free 30-30 type of player.

Young might hit 30 homers per season, but there's not much in his background to indicate he has the technique to steal 30 bases per season consistently...unless he learns it at the big league level.

I'll put it another way...would you rather have Chris Young or Corey Patterson? Corey is arguably the best CFer in baseball and easily should average a 20/20 each year. Same with Mike Cameron when he first came up, but neither player will get a single HOF after their careers are over.

I just think BA and all scouts fall in love with the toolsy players (see Borchard) and overestimate their ability to transition and produce at the big league level. Will CY make enough contact to be an everday player? We'll just have to wait and see.

The question of making contact seems to have been answered for Young. Last year in 402 AB he had a very respectable ratio of 52BB to 71SO. That's less than a strikeout every 5 at bats something Borchard (or Anderson) would kill for. Granted, it was Tucson which is a good place to hit, but Young has proven that he can make adjustments. I think what you're looking at from him is that he's Cameron at the minimum. That's a pretty good player. Maximum, he's better than Torii Hunter and probably a shade below Eric Davis.

Vazquez, on the other hand gave us innings last year, but not much else. If people want to say he wasn't awful, I'd probably agree with that, but he wasn't good either. $10million a year plus what we gave up to get him, you'd like a little more than "not awful." Hopefully he can put it together this year and salvage something from this trade.

ondafarm
03-04-2007, 09:32 PM
. . . Granted, it was Tucson which is a good place to hit, but Young has proven that he can make adjustments. . .

Hitting at Tuscon means you don't have to worry about curveballs or much in the way of sliders and change-ups are not very sharp. If you take these out of most pitcher's arsenals then a decent hitter should be able to perform at CY's level.

caulfield12
03-04-2007, 09:46 PM
The PCL is notorious for inflated hitting stats.

Look at the MLB spring training batting averages. We'll see what he can do against higher quality pitching.

SD is a difficult park for hitters, but Colorado more than compensates for it.

Mohoney
03-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Vazquez, on the other hand gave us innings last year, but not much else. If people want to say he wasn't awful, I'd probably agree with that, but he wasn't good either. $10million a year plus what we gave up to get him, you'd like a little more than "not awful." Hopefully he can put it together this year and salvage something from this trade.

If either this guy :burly or this guy :pods: would have shown up last September, that trade could have already been moot, because we might have made the playoffs. Hell, both those guys disappeared after the 4th of July.

I love both guys, but come on.