PDA

View Full Version : Is Papelbon going back to bullpen?

caulfield12
03-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Or is this just a rumor?

Could impact where I draft him for my fantasy league team.

Fenway?

goofymsfan
03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I haven't heard that at all. I thought they got Joel Pineiro to be their new closer. You might try a Red Sox forum, but don't mention that you want to know because of your fantasy team.

ondafarm
03-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I think he might find starting more difficult than he thinks and I think the Red Cubs will have their difficulties in closing games. I'd say it is likely.

itsnotrequired
03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
If he heads back to the pen, who would replace him in the rotation?

NardiWasHere
03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I remember hearing that Francona said it was a possible move for later in the season if the closer's spot isn't solidified.... like a last resort type of thing.... but this was a few months ago.... but don't quote me on that.

DSpivack
03-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I remember hearing that Francona said it was a possible move for later in the season if the closer's spot isn't solidified.... like a last resort type of thing.... but this was a few months ago.... but don't quote me on that.

They have 5 besides Papelbon; Matsuzaka, Beckett, Schilling, Wakefield, Lester.

Their bullpen has a lot more ?s.

gobears1987
03-02-2007, 12:49 PM

You can probably bet on having 2 of those pitchers getting injured and missing many games.

chaz171
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM

this is true. personally, I can't see them wanting to start him after his track record in the bullpen.

caulfield12
03-02-2007, 02:20 PM

Don't they have Matt Clement still as well?

And the imfamous Kason Gabbard that shut us down?

Is Lester close to being ready?

Fenway
03-02-2007, 02:21 PM
OFFICIALLY Papelbon is starting but Francona has hinted things may change in a couple of weeks.

Domeshot17
03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
According to Jason Stark it is doubtful he returns to the pen.

He has a condition where he joints are too loose. That caused his injury last year. Doctors have told the Red Sox it is safer for him to be a starter because his body will be on a regular routine as opposed to up and down like a closer is (especially how Francona loves to use him 2 innings with lack of a set up man).

Personally, I don't get it. You have a guy who is always going to be an injury risk with his condition, so you give him 3 times the workload. Im avoiding him in my draft, I think he is a huge injury risk (and personally, I don't think he will be a great starter. He is like Vazquez IMHO. If Vazquez closed he would be unhittable. Paplebon is going to get hit the 3rd time through the lineup.