PDA

View Full Version : Premiere for Danks in Sox uniform

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
2 K's....gave up a triple that should have been a single and a double...Angel didn't help him either with an error.

Interesting, Farmer said that Terry Clark (AA pitching coach) said his fastball was 88-90. We've heard 90-92, touching 94.

Also mentioned that it was really important (well, this is true for most pitchers!) that he get his curveball over in order to be effective. Have heard that he has anywhere from an above average to VERY good or "plus" curveball. At one point, he was rated as having the best curve in the Rangers' system.

Well, easy 2nd inning of work....2 IP, 1 ER, either 2 or 3 K's. He seemed to rebound pretty well from adversity and could have let 1 run quickly become 3 in his first inning of work. Seems to work pretty quickly, in terms of pace (I know, it's the radio, but you can sense when someone out there is like Contreras used to be, or Bere).

veeter
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Sounded like he looked pretty good.

KRS1
02-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Interesting, Farmer said that Terry Clark (AA pitching coach) said his fastball was 88-90. We've heard 90-92, touching 94.

Perhaps he was talking about where he's at now, because I remember him throwing 88-93 at the futures game in 2004 with a couple different fastballs. Unless he's lost velocity since then, which I highly doubt, not to mention it goes against every report I've read about him. I've also read people saying that they believe his frame is very projectable to build upon, and add some more "go" on his pitches as he matures.

goon
02-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Perhaps he was talking about where he's at now, because I remember him throwing 88-93 at the futures game in 2004 with a couple different fastballs. Unless he's lost velocity since then, which I highly doubt, not to mention it goes against every report I've read about him. I've also read people saying that they believe his frame is very projectable to build upon, and add some more "go" on his pitches as he matures.

yep, if anything, his fastball has gotten better. remember people, this was the first game of spring training.

champagne030
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
2 K's....gave up a triple that should have been a single and a double...Angel didn't help him either with an error.

I saw him in OK City last summer and he was between 89-92.

DarkHorse35
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
He sounded like he had a pretty good inning when I was listening as the triple wasn't really his fault. Still it's only the first exhibition so we'll see how he does in the next one.

Zisk77
02-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Pitchers need to build up arm strength in the spring. All the pitchers that throw for me in high school throw harder mid season then in the first month. Remember everyone was alarmed last year when Bobby was throwing in the low 90's in spring training? How did that work out?:redneck

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Pitchers need to build up arm strength in the spring. All the pitchers that throw for me in high school throw harder mid season then in the first month. Remember everyone was alarmed last year when Bobby was throwing in the low 90's in spring training? How did that work out?:redneck

Not as good as 05. He never got his velocity up in the 98-99 range for most of the season (legit radar readings, not the scoreboard hype like in DET for Zumaya) and he wore down in the second half, which probably had something to do with his hip problem as well.

gobears1987
02-28-2007, 11:51 PM
I can't wait to see Danks on one of the televised games.

goon
02-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Not as good as 05. He never got his velocity up in the 98-99 range for most of the season (legit radar readings, not the scoreboard hype like in DET for Zumaya) and he wore down in the second half, which probably had something to do with his hip problem as well.

yeah, but he was throwing 93-95 last spring training, he was at 96-98 for a good portion of the season. with danks, it's that he is only 21 and how much stronger he will get as he matures.

WhiteSox5187
03-01-2007, 12:39 AM
I seem to recall watching a couple of games on FOX where his fastball hit triple digits.

caulfield12
03-01-2007, 09:44 AM
I seem to recall watching a couple of games on FOX where his fastball hit triple digits.

I'm sure they were using a "fast" gun, because the baseball operations people know the crowd loves the double digits readings.

If they're legit, that's one thing...but most scouts would agree that Jenks was at 94-97 for most of last season, on a consistent basis.

ondafarm
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Unless you are talking kph, that would be very memorable.

rdivaldi
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I pretty much ignore radar gun readings at the beginning of ST (unless someone is waaaay down) because almost everyone is down a couple of ticks unless they played extensive winter ball.

With the younger guys I check out 1) mechanics and 2) control. If a guy is pumping strikes in there with a nice consistent motion you stand up and take notice. It's what Fingernails did in 2005 and Logan did in 2006.

BRDSR
03-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I can't wait to see Danks on one of the televised games.

Just watched him against the Cubs on a delay. The curve looked excellent and he was hitting 91 or 92 on the fastball at times. He gave up a leadoff single as well as a sharp grounder that would have been a double if Fields hadn't made a Crede-like stop to his right.

The last batter looked especially good though. Started him off with two curves that caught the corner, saw him foul off a couple, and put him away on an excellent fastball on the inside corner. I think the guy has got some stuff, will be fun to see if he work his way into the rotation.

veeter
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
To me, it looks like he has an excellent change-up.

ilsox7
03-04-2007, 06:33 PM
The last batter looked especially good though. Started him off with two curves that caught the corner, saw him foul off a couple, and put him away on an excellent fastball on the inside corner. I think the guy has got some stuff, will be fun to see if he work his way into the rotation.

He struck the guy out on a change-up on the outside half. Unless he pitched more than one inning, which I am 99% certain he did not. It was an 84 mph change-up. Great motion and had the guy way ahead.

tick53
03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I don't think we have anything to worry about. Danks is going to be there when it counts IMO

BRDSR
03-04-2007, 06:54 PM
He struck the guy out on a change-up on the outside half. Unless he pitched more than one inning, which I am 99% certain he did not. It was an 84 mph change-up. Great motion and had the guy way ahead.

You are correct. Don't know where my head was on that one.

I'm still in pre-season form.

whitesoxfan1986
03-04-2007, 09:13 PM
In regards to the questions about Danks' fastball, The first few he threw up there were at 89 mph, but after he got going they were mostly at 91 and 92. I thought I saw the gun read 93 once, so this is good news. I'm thinking if his FB is at 91-93 in ST it may be faster during the season. I don't know if that is the case, so if it isn't please correct me.

caulfield12
03-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Garland is usually at 88-93, and Danks was consistently 1-2 MPH faster with most of his hard stuff. Gio was around 90-91 with most of his pitches.

I think Hill was pretty similar, although he wasn't above 90 as often.