PDA

View Full Version : Jenks injured!!! Cancel the postgame show

FloridaSox
02-28-2007, 04:37 PM
...Left his first spring training appearance after one batter complaining of tightness in his shoulder.

AJ Hellraiser
02-28-2007, 04:37 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070228sox,1,7131064.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Not a good start to the spring... oh and the Sox are getting killed...

Chisox003
02-28-2007, 04:39 PM
:rolleyes:

Here we go...

Over By There
02-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Although Jenks didn't feel any pain, he never got loose as he threw only three of his nine pitches for strikes.

(Emphasis added.) Relax. :rolleyes:

Mr.1Dog
02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I heard Pods didn't really have hernia surgery and that he just lost his glasses and refuses to play until he finds them.

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
It's just not tightness apparently.

Nobody with the organization is concerned. Garland had the same problems today, and threw only fastballs.

RKMeibalane
02-28-2007, 04:42 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070228sox,1,7131064.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Not a good start to the spring... oh and the Sox are getting killed...

It's not uncommon for pitchers to get hit hard during the first few days of ST, as everyone is still getting back into the routine of actually playing a real game.

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 04:42 PM
No.

The problem last year was his hip...not his shoulder or arm.

Herm's not worried, we shouldn't be either.

DarkHorse35
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Did seem too bad when they talked about it on the broadcast of the game.

veeter
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for letting us know he walked off the field "under his own power", Gonzalez. What an *******. He didn't break his leg for God's sake.

DarkHorse35
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
It's the first game of Spring Training. Let's all take a deep breath and calm down. At least we don't lie about injuries like some other team I can think of.

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Didn't seem too bad when they talked about it on the broadcast of the game.

fixed it for you

spiffie
02-28-2007, 04:53 PM
From http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070228&content_id=1819921&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Bobby Jenks left Wednesday's Cactus League opener against the Rockies after facing just three batters in the fifth inning with what is being called tightness in his right shoulder.

A White Sox spokesman said Jenks felt no pain, and he was taken out for precautionary measures. Jenks will be re-evaluated Thursday.

Southtown Slug
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Someone let him know 1989 called - they want the hair back.

veeter
02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Someone let him know 1989 called - they want the hair back.Huh?

WizardsofOzzie
02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
:chickenlittle

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Could it be an obscure reference to the retro hit movie "Hellraiser" and the lead character from that movie...circa 1987

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093177/plotsummary

Southtown Slug
02-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Huh?

Referring to Jeff Brantley's hair...or hairstyle....and his absolute lack of knowledge on anything that matters.

ESPN - the mothership - never show the Sox any thing but contempt.

veeter
02-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Referring to Jeff Brantley's hair...or hairstyle....and his absolute lack of knowledge on anything that matters.

ESPN - the mothership - never show the Sox any thing but contempt.What does that have to do with Jenks?

kevingrt
02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Tightness is never a good word.

Whitesox029
02-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I vote for the changing of the title of this thread in order to keep the WSI heart attack rate at normal levels.

DumpJerry
02-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I vote for the changing of the title of this thread in order to keep the WSI heart attack rate at normal levels.
Should I change it to "Jenks not near death?"

Actually this is great news. In '05 Mark Buehrle broke, BROKE, his foot in Spring Training just before the season began. They were in process of prepping the surgical team for the amputation when, voila!, Mark lept to his feet and took the Sox to the World Series! This is our Buehrle broken foot which will launch us to cancelling our social plans in October.

roylestillman
02-28-2007, 05:39 PM

Or at least removing two of the three exclaimation points.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Actually this is great news. In '05 Mark Buehrle broke, BROKE, his foot in Spring Training just before the season began. They were in process of prepping the surgical team for the amputation when, voila!, Mark lept to his feet and took the Sox to the World Series! This is our Buehrle broken foot which will launch us to cancelling our social plans in October.
I like your thinking :gulp:

infohawk
02-28-2007, 06:28 PM
I know it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it seems like we often get shallacked during the first couple of weeks of spring training. I offered a theory in my White Sox blog (linked below if anyone is interested). A few more games like this and the Sox will completely undermine my theory!:o: It's only been one game, but it is kind of strange that the Sox don't typically do very well during the spring -- not that it mattered in 2005!

soxtalker
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I know it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it seems like we often get shallacked during the first couple of weeks of spring training. I offered a theory in my White Sox blog (linked below if anyone is interested). A few more games like this and the Sox will completely undermine my theory!:o: It's only been one game, but it is kind of strange that the Sox don't typically do very well during the spring -- not that it mattered in 2005!

I only caught a few minutes of the game while driving, but they were talking to Jon Garland in the radio booth after he'd already pitched. I believe that he said that he'd been pitching only fast balls. Farmer and he were joking about how the batters on the other team caught on real quick and were chomping at the bit to hit. If that was true in general, then it isn't too surprising that they were hit hard.

thomas35forever
02-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I think my friend overreacted when he said "There goes your bullpen." That quote would mean he blew his arm out or something. I hope this isn't too serious. Our bullpen is stacked with power, but Jenks is pure talent. We can't lose him.

sox647
02-28-2007, 08:39 PM
how did BA do today?

Scottiehaswheels
02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
how did BA do today?1-3 with an RBI double that would have been gone at our park

Whitesox029
02-28-2007, 09:14 PM
1-3 with an RBI double that would have been gone at our park
WAY gone, as I understand it. Farmer estimated that it would have traveled 450 feet, but hit the top of the huge wall in center. Of course, this is Farmio talking, so subtract about 30 from that. That's still quite a poke, though.

IlliniSox4Life
02-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Nice to see three steals from three different players today. Hopefully that will keep up during the season.

BainesHOF
02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Farmio's first overstatement of the spring came in the top of the first inning:

"Todd Helton is one of the best hitters I've ever seen."

There was no jagging of Singleton, at least not in the first inning, so that was good.

HotelWhiteSox
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Is it me or is it kind of weird that they had that up on the Trib sports site moments after it happened, before the game even ended?

Jenks interview on Comcast tonight, says he's fine.

itsnotrequired
02-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Is it me or is it kind of weird that they had that up on the Trib sports site moments after it happened, before the game even ended?

Why is that weird? It is the major paper in the city reporting a potential injury to the team's closing pitcher.

gobears1987
02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
It's not uncommon for pitchers to get hit hard during the first few days of ST, as everyone is still getting back into the routine of actually playing a real game.
Pitchers get killed in ST as they use it as a time to throw the pitches they aren't comfortable with. The result is they get hammered and miss their spot.

gobears1987
02-28-2007, 10:49 PM

That was one of the weirdest stories in the history of sports. I swear that the 05 team was blessed.

Oh well, I'm not worried about Jenks at all. Come April, he will dominate.

Lillian
03-01-2007, 12:53 AM
WAY gone, as I understand it. Farmer estimated that it would have traveled 450 feet, but hit the top of the huge wall in center. Of course, this is Farmio talking, so subtract about 30 from that. That's still quite a poke, though.

I turned to the person next to me and said the very same thing. It would have gone at least that far. It almost cleared the top of that high fence, which is over 405 feet from home plate. It was hit to left center field, and was really killed. It was hit on a line, not a high fly. And the wind didn't help it. It was blowing from left to right.

Grzegorz
03-01-2007, 05:04 AM
Pitchers get killed in ST as they use it as a time to throw the pitches they aren't comfortable with.

BTW, pitchers should be ahead of hitters early in spring training.

Didn't Garland say that he was throwing fastballs exclusively? If so, I'd hope he'd get comfortable with that pitch ASAP.

soxfanatlanta
03-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Didn't Garland say that he was throwing fastballs exclusively? If so, I'd hope he'd get comfortable with that pitch ASAP.

Farmio stated during the broadcast that Garland was not comfortable with his delivery; a mechanics thing. Jenks stated that his mechanics were off because he cannot get his normal extension. It's March 1st in ST, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Question: How long does it normally take for a pitcher to get his mechanics back after taking the off winter?

Just wondering.

D. TODD
03-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Just a reminder to not get to excited about wins, batting averages, ERA etc. for spring training as a harbinger of the upcoming season. Just get your work in and STAY HEALTHY while in Arizona.

Iwritecode
03-01-2007, 09:17 AM
BTW, pitchers should be ahead of hitters early in spring training.

I think that should be the other way around. At this point pitchers are only throwing 1 maybe 2 different pitches and not throwing quite as hard as they normally do.

Dan Mega
03-01-2007, 10:04 AM
I think that should be the other way around. At this point pitchers are only throwing 1 maybe 2 different pitches and not throwing quite as hard as they normally do.

Exactly, plus the batters see the same 1 or 2 pitches over and over again so they know whats coming.

KenBerryGrab
03-01-2007, 10:13 AM
I might be able to get a hit off a guy throwing only fastballs. In fact, I did, when Ross Baumgarten threw to our American Legion team during the '81 strike.

maurice
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Nice work by the hack headline writers at the Trib.

Headline: "Guillen hopes Jenks not stretching truth."

Ozzie: "I know he's not lying to me. I believe him, trust him."

BainesHOF
03-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I hope no one here is buying the Trib.

PKalltheway
03-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Don't forget that he was still able to make his opening day start and won 1-0.

TDog
03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Is it me or is it kind of weird that they had that up on the Trib sports site moments after it happened, before the game even ended? ...

When Mark Prior was hit by a line drive (was it last summer?), the Associated Press wire ran the news moments later. I read it long before the game was over.

maurice
03-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Headline: "Guillen hopes Jenks not stretching truth."

George Knue (http://www.chicagotribune.com/) one-ups his co-workers at Cub Co.:
"Sox closer leaves opener with injury."
:rolleyes:

The AP article calls a spade a spade:
"Jenks taken out of opener with shoulder tightness."

Hitmen77
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Here's a video of what Jenks has to say:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070302jenks-ipix,1,3750530.ipixpicture?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

dickallen15
03-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Jenks performed the towel drill yesterday, and pronounced himself ready to go. Isn't the towel drill the step right before a long stint on the DL?

MRM
03-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I only caught a few minutes of the game while driving, but they were talking to Jon Garland in the radio booth after he'd already pitched. I believe that he said that he'd been pitching only fast balls. Farmer and he were joking about how the batters on the other team caught on real quick and were chomping at the bit to hit. If that was true in general, then it isn't too surprising that they were hit hard.

Pitchers always throw mostly fastballs early in the spring. The objective is to build arm strength, not throw no-hitters. Pitchers who don't follow Rogers Clemens off-season workout routine would find themselves out for a long time if they tried snapping off hard breaking balls, etc, this time of year.

Vernam
03-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Jenks performed the towel drill yesterday, and pronounced himself ready to go. Isn't the towel drill the step right before a long stint on the DL?Is it just me, or does Mark Gonzalez seem to be relishing the fact that it's a Sox pitcher for a change who's tossing towels?

Vernam