PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prospectus writer on 670 right NOW (2/28, 12:40 pm)

Whitesox029
02-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Talking about the Cubs right now, but Murphy's going to ask him about the Sox soon. I can't wait to hear his excuse for predicting us to finish 4th with 90 losses.

WizardsofOzzie
02-28-2007, 01:43 PM
This should be good :rolleyes:

Whitesox029
02-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I just realized:
Why am I listening to Murphy?

The guy gave absolutely no backup to that prediction past talking about how Erstad was a bad signing. Meanwhile, he conveniently forgot to mention one of the best offenses in the American league returning intact.

WizardsofOzzie
02-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Damn i missed it. Stupid clocks in the office being 10 minutes off!! :mad: I'm sure it was very insightful

HotelWhiteSox
02-28-2007, 02:55 PM
If you heard the beginning of the segment, while they were promoting his book or guide or whatever, you heard that the keys to being a good pitcher were 'striking hitters out, not walking guys, and not allowing HRs'. Murph of course acted like this was earth shattering. Of course, I couldn't understand this theory since I'm no calculus major

SOXPHILE
02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow. A guy from Baseball Prospectus on the Mike Murphy Show. Now you have two good reasons to flip the ol' radio dial off of A.M. 670 between 12 and 2.

chaerulez
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
If you heard the beginning of the segment, while they were promoting his book or guide or whatever, you heard that the keys to being a good pitcher were 'striking hitters out, not walking guys, and not allowing HRs'. Murph of course acted like this was earth shattering. Of course, I couldn't understand this theory since I'm no calculus major

It's called DIPS, Defense Independent Pitching Stats and has been around since 2001.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=878

I was first aware of this a few years ago when the baseball simulation game Out of the Park Baseball decided to change it's game engine to match this theory.

Basically DIPS stats that there are only a few things pitchers truly have a control over: walks, strikeouts, home runs (except for the rare great defensive play), and hit batters. A main key point was that hits allowed are defensive dependent and something the pitcher doesn't have full control over. This of course overvalues power pitching a little, but I think it rewards pitchers with good control, and usually power pitchers have a higher walk rate than finesse pitchers.

TommyJohn
03-01-2007, 11:42 AM
It's called DIPS, Defense Independent Pitching Stats and has been around since 2001.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=878

I was first aware of this a few years ago when the baseball simulation game Out of the Park Baseball decided to change it's game engine to match this theory.

Basically DIPS stats that there are only a few things pitchers truly have a control over: walks, strikeouts, home runs (except for the rare great defensive play), and hit batters. A main key point was that hits allowed are defensive dependent and something the pitcher doesn't have full control over. This of course overvalues power pitching a little, but I think it rewards pitchers with good control, and usually power pitchers have a higher walk rate than finesse pitchers.

Fitting that BP has a stat called DIPS. That's almost too good to be true.

SBSoxFan
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
:kneeslap:

Where's the stat involving Stranded runners, Hits, Innings pitched, and, uummmm, Total pitches?

AZChiSoxFan
03-01-2007, 01:18 PM
:kneeslap:

Where's the stat involving Stranded runners, Hits, Innings pitched, and, uummmm, Total pitches?

:rolling:

Dan Mega
03-01-2007, 01:23 PM

:rolling: :rolling: POTW