PDA

View Full Version : Sox Memorabilia

gobears1987
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have any good stories of finding rare pieces of memorabilia?

I have a great story from last summer. My grandparents were moving out of the home they had been in for decades. They were moving to condo so they had to clean out a ton of stuff in their basement.

My parents went there to help. They found a box of stuff that was for my Dad. Next to the box was a hockey stick signed by Bobby Hull.

Well we went home (with the box and stick). Once we got home, we looked through the box. It was mainly junk that my Mom wanted to toss out. On the top of the box was one thing we knew we were keeping. It was a ball signed by the entire 1969 Cubs team. Now I hate the Cubs, but some good players still signed that ball. The ball was given to my Dad when he was a child, but he had no idea where it was.

My Mom was about to toss the box along with everything else in it. (Most of it was junk). I told her to wait. I started digging through the box. There was crap like a pinewood derby car and a30+ year old 16" softball. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a baseball.

Given the fact there was at least 1 valuable ball found in this box, I thought I'd take a look at it. I picked it up and noticed that this ball was signed. It had many signatures on it. It was signed in a black ink, but the names didn't seem to stand out as much as the Cubs ball.

I examined the ball closely. It took me less than a second to realize I had found a piece of treasure. The first name I saw on the ball was Nelson Fox. You could just imagine the joy I felt when I realized what this ball was. I looked at it some more and found Al Lopez, Louis Aparicio, Orestes Minoso, (surprised he didn't sign it "Minnie") and many others. I knew this ball was from either 56 or 57 given the fact both Minnie and Little Louie had signed it. I went on baseballreference.com and found out it was signed by the entire 1957 Chicago White Sox.

That was without a doubt the greatest treasure I have ever found. As fans we always dream of finding some great piece of White Sox history or an item autographed by some of the greats. I just never thought it would actually happen to me. I will cherish that ball for the rest of my life.

WhiteSox5187
02-28-2007, 11:25 AM
My dad has a scorecard from a Sox game in '77 against the Royals in the basement along with a ball signed by the '72 White Sox and the immortal 1959 White Sox. My prized possession however is a pair of seats from the old ball park. And my ticket stub from game one of the world series.

kruzer31
02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
This wasnt sox memorabilia but my dad had an old box up in this cabinet in his garage. One day I was nosy and just went up there with a ladder and found this little leather case. I unzipped it and found about 35 or so 1976 topps football cards and one of the cards in the pile was Walter Payton's Rookie card. Told my dad, had it it put in a hard cover plastic and have it til this day, here is a pic for the story

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r306/kruze35/danbury008.jpg

Jeff

Believe It!
03-14-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't know that its as good a story as the first few, but I'll share it anyhow.

All of my in-laws know how big of a Sox fan I am, thats just common knowledge. But a couple of years ago, out of the blue one of my wifes relatives (that we don't talk to all that often, mind you) gave my wife a couple of items to give to me. They are both Official White Sox Score books/programs. One of the is from the 1977 season and the other is from 1948. I couldn't believe it, the '77 program is in pretty good condition. No major tears. But the '48 one is pretty beat up (understandably) but still pretty good considering. I don't know what they are worth to any collectors, if anything, but I absolutely cherish them. I enjoy pieces of history like that, especially when they come to Sox memorabilia.