PDA

View Full Version : Quote Help

Lip Man 1
02-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Folks:

I'm headed off to Boise to broadcast at the state basketball championships and am asking for your help.

One of the Chicago media who is an acquaintance and I got into a discussion over Ron Santo and the Hall of Fame voting.

I stated that one of the reasons that I have no sympathy for him is because of the whinning that he does and the attempt to get the Tribune Company involved to 'influence' the voting.

My friend replied that if I could send him direct quotes with the source information (newspaper, magazine, radio interview ect.) that he would do a story looking at the entire issue and if Santo's "bitching" is in fact a factor.

My request is that if you have (or can find) some documented quotes directly attributed to Santo, would you please post them here. I also again need the source info, date of story and so forth.

Maybe all of us are wrong on this. Maybe we are all assuming something that isn't there in regards to Santo. Either way I'd like to know if this is happening for a fact.

I appreciate your help on this especially those of you who are 'search-savvy.'

Lip

Mr.1Dog
02-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Just watch This Old Cub when the talks about the Hall start coming about.

Lip Man 1
02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
If you have the video can you post some of the exact quotes.

Lip

spawn
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
This should help you out some:

TH: You mentioned that you had a Hall of Fame career. Brooks Robinson was a first ballot Hall of Famer, and I think you were close to him as a fielder and definitely a better hitter. Do you think the fact that the Cubs never made the World Series hurt your chances while he had the opportunity to shine in the national spotlight?

RS: Youíre right about a couple of things, but when it comes to Brooks Robinson, he really was the best. At that position, Iíve never seen anybody better. I was good, but he was the best. He deserved to be in the Hall of Fame and on the first ballot, because I would have voted for him. I played in a lot of All Star games against him and he robbed me of so many hits. There is no doubt I feel if we would have won, yes. I think Ď69 had a lot to do with it. In those days, WGN wasnít a super station. The game of the week was on weekends only. Now you can turn your TV on any channel every day and get a ballgame. That gives writers or whoever is voting a better idea of who should be in. What was sad to me was that when I became eligible, I didnít get five percent of the vote to stay on the ballot. Then five years later, how do you think I felt when I saw guys on that ballot that were nowhere near my numbers? And I donít think this is just a numbers game. You have to look at how big of an impact that player had. I hit between Ernie and Billy. I still drove in 100 runs and Billy didnít leave too many guys on base. All I can say is that when I crossed the white lines, I played the game the way it should be played, and why they have overlooked me, I really canít answer that. I do believe that winning has a lot to do with it as far as the writers go, but now Iím on the veteransí ballot, so my peers are voting. I feel whether I get in or not, I have a better chance.

TH: Well, the first time you went up in front of the veteransí committee, you didnít make it in, nor did anybody else. Do you feel that perhaps they are trying to keep it more exclusive, and that by voting in other players, it diminishes their accomplishments? Mike Schmidt was quoted as saying that if the writers didnít vote them in, why should we?

RS: I know Mike Schmidt came out and said he didnít vote for anybody. Nobody got in with the veterans committee, and that bothered me more than me not getting in. You say, ďWhatís going on here?Ē That was the first year and I never understoodóWhy do we have to wait every two years? I donít want to get in posthumously. When the Cubs retired my number, that in itself is my Hall of Fame ,because I thought I had to get in to have it retired. When people come to Wrigley Field after Iím gone and they look up there, theyíre going to ask, who is number 10? Itís almost like youíre a part of Wrigley Field and part of the Cubs. I canít tell you how I feel about that. Iím not what you would call bitter, but like you said, I did get very high with my first ballot because all of the writers were over at my house in Arizona and the TV crews and I said to myself, they must know something. I started to feel like, oh, this is itÖbut I really got crushed. I look at it that my timing for the Hall of Fame has never been good.

Link (http://www.theheckler.com/news/templates/?a=30&z=8)

russ99
02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Lip:

While your tack on this story is quite possibly correct, my take on this is that Santo keeps getting denied (like Minoso) cause he didn't "make nice" with the media and fellow players when he was a player.

Also, the sympathy Santo gets due to his health conditions and that garbage about "being an ambassador to the game" is a whole lot of hooey and has no sway (obviously) with the Veteran's Committee voters.

Medford Bobby
02-28-2007, 11:14 AM
:smile: Lip, this could be a first for Idaho, I'll be in Moscow, Idaho this weekend for my daughter's YMCA regional swim meet. That would make at least two Sox fans in Idaho....:wink:

WhiteSox5187
02-28-2007, 12:30 PM
:smile: Lip, this could be a first for Idaho, I'll be in Moscow, Idaho this weekend for my daughter's YMCA regional swim meet. That would make at least two Sox fans in Idaho....:wink:
Christ, that could make two PEOPLE in Idaho.

bigfoot
03-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Christ, that could make two PEOPLE in Idaho.

Soooo many sheep, sooooo little time.