PDA

View Full Version : Good article for all Buehrle fans

caulfield12
02-27-2007, 08:26 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070227&content_id=1818904&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Very good article...losing Buehrle is going to hurt this franchise, if it happens.

During a recent conversation by text message with his wife, Jamie, Mark Buehrle poked a little fun at his slight change of status in the White Sox rotation for the upcoming season.
"I was texting her, and I said, 'Hey, I get to start the opener,'" said Buehrle with a wry smile. "Then there was dot, dot, dot, and then I told her, 'But it's Spring Training.'"

Vernam
02-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Yet another story with hazing as a central theme. :?:

Vernam

Thome25
02-27-2007, 09:00 PM
I think the Buehrle leaving the Sox situation would be akin to the Maddux leaving the Cubs situation 15 years ago.

With that said, I still don't think Buehrle is worth Zito money. He turned down a pretty nice offer which indicates he's trying to break the bank.

The Dude
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
I think the Buehrle leaving the Sox situation would be akin to the Maddux leaving the Cubs situation 15 years ago.

:rolleyes:

veeter
02-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I love Buehrle. I want him to play his whole career here. But I think if he leaves, HE will be the one who regrets it. About the article, I love his stance on that hazing crap. Making the rooks wear dresses and some other funny things is cool. It's a form of acceptance. But abusing the guys, just because you're a veteran is B.S. You're only remembered by the victims as a jerk, not a teammate.

Etownsox13
02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
:JB "Mark you just need to get thicker skin"

soxinem1
02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Yet another story with hazing as a central theme. :?:

Vernam

And yet another story about Baldwin being in the middle. For a guy who treaded water as much as he did, he had no business being the 'leader'. If he would have produced any type of consistency, JB might have had a better ending here.

Maybe he should have spent more time conditioning and working on his pitching skills instead of hazing rookies and standing in line at Old Country Buffett.

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2007, 09:47 PM

With that said, I still don't think Buehrle is worth Zito money. He turned down a pretty nice offer which indicates he's trying to break the bank.
Well...I think it will hurt US, but I don't think that he's going to all of a sudden string a series of Cy Youngs together as Maddux did.

I dont' think he is trying to break the bank and I don't think he's going to go for Zito money. I think he's going to re-sign with us and I think it's going to cost us about 12 mil. Either way, win this season and the rest will sort itself out.

Soxfanspcu11
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Well...I think it will hurt US, but I don't think that he's going to all of a sudden string a series of Cy Youngs together as Maddux did.

I dont' think he is trying to break the bank and I don't think he's going to go for Zito money. I think he's going to re-sign with us and I think it's going to cost us about 12 mil. Either way, win this season and the rest will sort itself out.

I'm pretty sure that he is going to re-sign as well.

He knows that this organization gave him his break. Pretty much NOBODY thought that he could pitch in the big leagues, and he has obviously proved everyone wrong.

You can tell, just by listening to him that he has a very soft spot in his heart for the Sox organization and the fans.

Unless the Sox give Mark a deal that is just incredibly insulting to him, I believe without much of a doubt that he will be back.

But as you said, let's just take care of THIS season first.

And about James Baldwin, that guy is a piece of ****.

I have heard other stories about him as well. I remember awhile back, maybe about 10-11 years ago or so, I read an article somewhere about how Baldwin and Thomas got into a huge fight during a series in Baltimore.

Basically it was both players yelling at one another about how the other one cost the Sox the game.

I wish I could recall where I saw it and where it ran, but that was just too long ago. Just thinking about an altercation between Baldwin and Thomas makes me do this, :rolleyes: .

caulfield12
02-27-2007, 09:55 PM

$13-15 million per season.

If Gil Meche is getting $11 million for five years to start for the Royals, why would a career long #1 or 2 starter accept that kind of contract?

He doesn't deserve $18 million per season, but you split the difference and you're in the $14-15 range, if he wins 15+ games and has an ERA under 4.00.

ChiSoxGirl
02-27-2007, 09:55 PM
My favorite part of the whole article...

"From the way I felt with J.B. picking on us, I couldn't do that to anyone else," Buehrle said. "Like when Boone Logan came up here last year, I looked over and he was sitting by himself. I walked over and said, 'If you have any questions on where you need to be or what you need to do, if I know, I'll help you out.'

Buehrls sounds like an awesome mentor and teammate! :thumbsup:

"I'm not going to screw anyone over or lead them in the wrong direction. I know the way I felt my first year in the locker room. You feel lost and you don't know where you are supposed to be. So, if these guys have any questions, I want them to come up and ask me."

It's cool to know that even our Sox feel the same way we do whenever we start a new job or find ourselves in a new, unfamiliar place.

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
$13-15 million per season.

If Gil Meche is getting $11 million for five years to start for the Royals, why would a career long #1 or 2 starter accept that kind of contract?

He doesn't deserve $18 million per season, but you split the difference and you're in the $14-15 range, if he wins 15+ games and has an ERA under 4.00.
That also sounds like a vey reasonable offer, and with the money we saved by trading Freddy it could be very possible too. Now, if Mark goes out and wins twenty plus he won't come back to us he'll be running for President.

DumpJerry
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Mark will be back. KW will have no qualms (or orders from Uncle Jerry) to go cheap on him.

I think Mark will be Coop's replacement in 15 years. It should be a seamless transition.

ewokpelts
02-28-2007, 02:00 AM

what makes you think it was a nice offer? neither williams or buehrle mentioned dollars or years...it was probably the same as garland and contreras, 3yr/27mil. and of course, garland's was really a 2 year deal, as the sox had him locked up for 2006 anyways. and contreras is getting overpaid for an old arm that was able to string a great first half 2006 after pitching lights out in the 2nd half of 2005. too bad that he was horsecrap in the first half of 2005 and second half of 2006. he's the only pitcher committed for four years at the time of his signing when you factor in the last year of his original yankee contract.

and let's not forget kenny's attitude after he found out burlz talked about the aborted deal...

:KW

wow...he said we offered him a deal? thank the gods he mentioned it...now HE looks like the assclown for turning down easy money while he was sucking ass

QCIASOXFAN
02-28-2007, 02:16 AM
what makes you think it was a nice offer? neither williams or buehrle mentioned dollars or years...it was probably the same as garland and contreras, 3yr/27mil. I think you answered your own question. I would call 9mil a year a good deal though. Maybe he wasn't even offered that much.:dunno:

Mots09
02-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Damn does this mean I have to give up wearing my game worn JB jersey?

Thome25
02-28-2007, 07:39 AM
what makes you think it was a nice offer? neither williams or buehrle mentioned dollars or years...it was probably the same as garland and contreras, 3yr/27mil. and of course, garland's was really a 2 year deal, as the sox had him locked up for 2006 anyways. and contreras is getting overpaid for an old arm that was able to string a great first half 2006 after pitching lights out in the 2nd half of 2005. too bad that he was horsecrap in the first half of 2005 and second half of 2006. he's the only pitcher committed for four years at the time of his signing when you factor in the last year of his original yankee contract.

and let's not forget kenny's attitude after he found out burlz talked about the aborted deal...

:KW

wow...he said we offered him a deal? thank the gods he mentioned it...now HE looks like the assclown for turning down easy money while he was sucking ass

It came out in the paper that it was a 3 year deal at about 12mil per. That sounds like a nice deal doesn't it?

Thome25
02-28-2007, 07:43 AM

Buehrle already turned down a 3-year deal at right about 12 mil per. IMO he's trying to break the bank and get a Zito deal. There's teams crazy enough to give it to him.

The Sox will not get into a bidding war for Buehrle. I'd rather see them save some of the money they'd end up giving him and go after Johan Santana

What makes you think Buehrle can't put a string of Cy Youngs together? He's still young and in his prime. I could see him putting a string of them together especially if he went to the NL.

hi im skot
02-28-2007, 07:59 AM
I'd rather see them save some of the money they'd end up giving him and go after Johan Santana

If the Sox don't hang on to Buehrle, they sure as hell aren't going after Santana.

Thome25
02-28-2007, 08:06 AM
If the Sox don't hang on to Buehrle, they sure as hell aren't going after Santana.

You may be right. The probably won't go after Santana. But, my point is if they have to break the bank to keep Buehrle, why not consider kicking in some more money to get a better pitcher in Santana?

I know, I know.....the Sox getting Santana is about as likely as them dealing with Boras and getting AROD if he becomes a free agent.

hi im skot
02-28-2007, 08:10 AM
You may be right. The probably won't go after Santana. But, my point is if they have to break the bank to keep Buehrle, why not consider kicking in some more money to get a better pitcher in Santana?

I know, I know.....the Sox getting Santana is about as likely as them dealing with Boras and getting AROD if he becomes a free agent.

Fair enough; I think that the Sox are likely to be more loyal than that...but that's an answer we (most likely) won't know until the offseason.

I think best-case scenario is Buehrle returns to form, leading the Sox to another championship and re-signs with them during the celebration parade.

:redneck

Dan Mega
02-28-2007, 08:10 AM

True, no way they outbid the NYY/Bos on that one. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets $25 mil/yr or more. He is the best pitcher in baseball, easily.

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Clemens is in that territory if you prorate his salaries over a full year.

There's talk of $22-24 million for Zambrano.

By the way, Buehrle was offered $34 million for 3 years, not $12 million per season. He's already making close to that now, so I would insulted too, especially as the offer was made after his very strong first half.

Thome25
02-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Clemens is in that territory if you prorate his salaries over a full year.

There's talk of $22-24 million for Zambrano.

By the way, Buehrle was offered $34 million for 3 years, not $12 million per season. He's already making close to that now, so I would insulted too, especially as the offer was made after his very strong first half.

34 million over 3 years is 11.3 mil per year. Is an extra 700,000 per season going to make that big of a difference in the deal? It might as well be 3 years at 12 mil per.

He turned downa deal that averaged over 2 million per season more than what Garland/Contreras got. Was he a better pitcher that either of those two at the time? I'd have to say no.

Also, think about this: When Buehrle turned down that contract he was in the midst of a terrible season....what made him think he'd get more? It shows he's not interested in giving the Sox the "home team discount" that Contreras, Garland and Konerko did. Which is his right.

But, it makes me think he's out to play hardball.

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 08:45 AM
34 million over 3 years is 11.3 mil per year. Is an extra 700,000 per season going to make that big of a difference in the deal? It might as well be 3 years at 12 mil per.

The problem is that Buehrle still wouldn't sign today for $12 million for three years.

Not after the market changed this offseason. Now if the stock market crashes down to 8,000 again and we go into a deflationary period, then he might rue to the day he turned it down. But I'm sure he's thinking he will get $13-15 million over 4-5 seasons if he waits it out.

ewokpelts
02-28-2007, 11:23 AM
It came out in the paper that it was a 3 year deal at about 12mil per. That sounds like a nice deal doesn't it?maybe....just maybe...he wants a LONGER DEAL....just becuase jerry has a fetish for 3 year deals for pitchers dosent mean that buehrle has to accept one.

ewokpelts
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Buehrle already turned down a 3-year deal at right about 12 mil per. IMO he's trying to break the bank and get a Zito deal. There's teams crazy enough to give it to him.

The Sox will not get into a bidding war for Buehrle. I'd rather see them save some of the money they'd end up giving him and go after Johan Santana

What makes you think Buehrle can't put a string of Cy Youngs together? He's still young and in his prime. I could see him putting a string of them together especially if he went to the NL.unless you were ass horrible like jason marquis, most pitchers this offseason for a 4 year or better deal...even ted lilly, and even marquis got 3 years/ 27 mil

soxfanaticpaulie
02-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, with the Flubs (and others) breaking the bank on mediocre pitching, the bar has be reset, yet again.

I think that 13-15mil is in the right area of what he will go for, providing he is back in his guaranteed 15+ win form.

Paulwny
02-28-2007, 01:06 PM
maybe....just maybe...he wants a LONGER DEAL....just becuase jerry has a fetish for 3 year deals for pitchers dosent mean that buehrle has to accept one.

DING, DING, DING
You have the correct answer.

ewokpelts
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
DING, DING, DING
You have the correct answer.well, thome25 feels that burls is after zito money, but looking for a 4 or 5 year deal is nt bing greedy...it's job security.

Thome25
02-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Ewok--when a player turns down a deal worth 12mil a year BEFORE the market went crazy he is OBVIOUSLY out to break the bank.

The Sox offered him almost 3mil more per season than they gave Contreras and Garland and they've been the better pitchers.

You can't blame the Sox for not giving out deals longer than 3 years. Look how it worked out for Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Sirotka, Jim Parque, and even Bartolo Colon.

The Sox refused to give log term deals to all of those pitchers I named and THANK GOD they didn't because they all ended up injured.

I hope I'm wrong but, I have a feeling that Burls is gone after 2007 he's simply NOT worth the money or the years that the other owners have been throwing at pitchers this past offseason.

Mix that with the fact that the Cardinals have cleared alot of payroll off the books in their starting rotation by letting Suppan and Weaver go and it looks like they're setting themselves up to go after Buehrle.

caulfield12
02-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Ewok--when a player turns down a deal worth 12mil a year BEFORE the market went crazy he is OBVIOUSLY out to break the bank.

The Sox offered him almost 3mil more per season than they gave Contreras and Garland and they've been the better pitchers.

You can't blame the Sox for not giving out deals longer than 3 years. Look how it worked out for Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Sirotka, Jim Parque, and even Bartolo Colon.

The Sox refused to give log term deals to all of those pitchers I named and THANK GOD they didn't because they all ended up injured.

I hope I'm wrong but, I have a feeling that Burls is gone after 2007 he's simply NOT worth the money or the years that the other owners have been throwing at pitchers this past offseason.

Mix that with the fact that the Cardinals have cleared alot of payroll off the books in their starting rotation by letting Suppan and Weaver go and it looks like they're setting themselves up to go after Buehrle.

I don't see how you can possibly argue that Jon Garland was the better pitcher for the Sox (especially from 2000-2005) or mid-season last year when Buehrle was offered the deal.

Jose had only been dominant for 3 months of his big league career coming into last season.

soxinem1
03-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Either way he is history.

If he pitches in 2007 like he did today in his Spring debut, thy will not resign him.

If he has a year like 2005, he will be proclaimed as having 'come back' and will get a minimum of $15 mil per for no less than 4 years from another team.

In other words, you can color him, GONE!

maurice
03-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Turning down a 3-year deal is not "looking to break the bank." As an established workhorse with sound mechanics, Buehrle will receive multiple offers of 5+ years. It would be bad business to settle for 3.

I don't see how you can possibly argue that Jon Garland was the better pitcher for the Sox (especially from 2000-2005) or mid-season last year when Buehrle was offered the deal.

In addition, Garland wasn't a free agent. When Garland comes close to FA, he also will expect at least a 5-year deal.

Paulwny
03-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Turning down a 3-year deal is not "looking to break the bank." As an established workhorse with sound mechanics, Buehrle will receive multiple offers of 5+ years. It would be bad business to settle for 3.

In addition, Garland wasn't a free agent. When Garland comes close to FA, he also will expect at least a 5-year deal.

Agree,
I believe that Buehrle will offer the sox a home town discount on $$, but he'll want greater than a 3 yr contract. If the sox don't offer more than a 3 yr deal he'll go to the highest bidder with the greater number of years.
It this occurs , fa, it'll appear that Buehrle was " looking to break the bank" since the money offered will be high.

PKalltheway
03-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I really hope the Sox can keep either Buehrle or Garland, preferably Buehrle. We need a solid, veteran, experienced anchor in our rotation if we want to continue to contend in the future. I'm sure KW knows this and he will do his best to keep at least one of them.

chisoxfanatic
03-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Buehrle has clearly stated that he likes it here and will continue playing here. I don't think he's gonna find his way in St. Louis unless he has a poor performance this year (which I don't think is going to be the case, ESPECIALLY since this is a contract year). KW is gonna find a way to get him back. He has looser purse strings--look at our payroll in comparison to before. With the butts in seats and Sox merchandise selling like crazy, as well as people tuning in on the dial and TV, their income complements this. Buehrle WILL be back next year.

caulfield12
03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Buehrle has clearly stated that he likes it here and will continue playing here. I don't think he's gonna find his way in St. Louis unless he has a poor performance this year (which I don't think is going to be the case, ESPECIALLY since this is a contract year). KW is gonna find a way to get him back. He has looser purse strings--look at our payroll in comparison to before. With the butts in seats and Sox merchandise selling like crazy, as well as people tuning in on the dial and TV, their income complements this. Buehrle WILL be back next year.

St. Louis was rumored to be making a run at Clemens.

They've saved $25-30 million not signing Marquis, Suppan and Weaver...so don't begin to count them out of the Buehrle sweepstakes, especially if Mulder doesn't return to form at mid-season and they need to add another member to the rotation to go with Carpenter, Reyes, Wainright, etc.