PDA

View Full Version : Donald Fehr "upset" Marvin Miller not voted to HoF

Fenway
02-27-2007, 07:36 PM
If it was the owners voting I could understand Miller not getting in but it the PLAYERS keeping him out.

The following statement was issued today by Major League Baseball Players Association Executive Director, Donald M. Fehr, regarding the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee Election results.

“It is often said that Jackie Robinson had more influence on Baseball during the first half of the Twentieth Century than did any other person. Beyond question, Marvin Miller was that person for the last half of the Twentieth Century.

“The players are the Game, and Marvin worked for them. Under his legendary leadership the players secured both appropriate salaries, pensions and other working conditions, and created a structure in which they have been able to maintain those gains long after Marvin's retirement. Marvin gave the players their voice, and then made sure that voice was heard. The stature and influence that players have today are directly attributable to his efforts.

“Accordingly, it was profoundly disappointing to learn today that the members of the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee did not give Marvin enough votes for election. Given the increased number of votes for Marvin this time, there is certainly reason to believe that the votes will be there in the future. They should be; this recognition is long overdue.”

eastchicagosoxfan
02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
If it was the owners voting I could understand Miller not getting in but it the PLAYERS keeping him out.
A cynic would say he's pleading for his vote.

soxinem1
02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Marvin was key to the salaries players make today. If it weren't for Marvin holding the players together when the reserve clause was contested in court, free agency would not be the circus it is now. If the players knew their history, this guy is the reason they make the bucks, even a AAA player does nicely if he's been around long enough.

Plus, he was a hard-nosed, stubborn, tough negotiator.

Did you ever notice how everytime a player is suspended or fined by his team or the commish's office the PA automatically files a grievance? Then the fine/punishment gets cut? It was Miller who schooled Fehr in that regard.

From an owner's standpoint, I doubt if any owner would be in favor of MM being in the HOF, as they would say something like 'he ruined the game and made it the expensive mess it is today'.

So I guess depending on who's side you were on, you could debate this one and probably be have as many reasons to not enshrine him as you would to let him in.

Fenway
02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
A cynic would say he's pleading for his vote.

Miller is not a well man it would have been nice to honor him before he passes to the big ballpark in the sky.

For better or worse Marvin Miller changed baseball forever

Daver
02-27-2007, 07:52 PM

The players have also kept out Curt Flood, and without him FA might not exist.

Fenway
02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
The players have also kept out Curt Flood, and without him FA might not exist.

Not a single modern day player went to Flood's funeral. :o:

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/sports/special/barriers/flood.html

Of all the millionaires Curt Flood helped make, when Flood succumbed to cancer last January, not a single contemporary player attended his funeral.

Not Shaquille O'Neal, he of the $110 million free-agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Not Chad Brown, of the $24 million free-agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Not Albert Belle of the more than $50 million free-agent contract with the Chicago White Sox. Not anyone.

IndianWhiteSox
03-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Of all the millionaires Curt Flood helped make, when Flood succumbed to cancer last January, not a single contemporary player attended his funeral.

Not Shaquille O'Neal, he of the $110 million free-agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Not Chad Brown, of the $24 million free-agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Not Albert Belle of the more than $50 million free-agent contract with the Chicago White Sox. Not anyone.

Looks like the players have already forgotten who made them rich in the 1st place and that's really sad.
:(:

SouthSide_HitMen
03-04-2007, 02:51 PM

I don't think anyone who did not know him should have gone to the funeral but it is shocking no ex teamates came to pay their respects.

I stated here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1488750&postcount=3), it is hard to think of two non players who had more impact on the game of baseball than Marvin Miller and Walter O'Malley.

itsnotrequired
03-04-2007, 03:00 PM
I stated here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1488750&postcount=3), it is hard to think of two non players who had more impact on the game of baseball than Marvin Miller and Walter O'Malley.

There was this one guy, Ban Johnson...

SouthSide_HitMen
03-04-2007, 04:39 PM
There was this one guy, Ban Johnson...

Hard to think of others not already in the HOF (which I forgot to add).

I'm somewhat disappointed your response was not in Haiku form. :(:

Kaat
Minoso
Santo
Torre
Marvin Miller
O'Malley

My VC Ballot for 2007.